• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Rouge

Years
!!!!NEW!!!! Download link at the bottom!
CLICK HERE FOR LATEST VERSION

I've been looking around and there are some games in which people are saying is 'brutal' or 'the challenge mode' but all they are, is like stated 'the challenge mode'.

So here's what I had an idea for; Pokemon Rouge. To those who don't know Rouge: It's an unfair game. An endless cave in which you have to survive 99 floors... and then make it back to the start. By unfair I mean, really, really unfair. Eg: On the first floor you have a chance to run into a high level Pokemon. Oh and did I mention that if you die you go back to the start (or previous save if you made one)?
Now you all will know the meaning of the word 'challenge'. This hack will test your skills in all ways; battling, scrounging and out right running.

Just a few features;
All pokemon (386),
Whole new areas (your in a cave the whole time so don't expect a beatuiful view),
More items on the floor/more hidden items,
Healing can only be done though potions or moves (eg: soft boil)
Getting the badges - Every 13th floor.
Elite 4 - every 10th floor after that.
At the end will be the story/free roam mode (for those who make it there) - where the map of the original will become the rouge styled map.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Note: When you die I've made it so you have to restart or reload. Otherwise you'll be in an endless loop of fighting level 100 legendaries.

NEW Version II Release!

Includes:
-Up to Floor 15
-Battle Brock
-Get the badge
-More items been added in
-Fixed some bugs
-Added a variation of pokemon
-And more!

Download Version I link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?j8493vmuvlxmms3

Download Version II link: http://www.mediafire.com/?j4ay2s6v456cvyn

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
First off- Rogue, not Rouge. There's a big difference.

To those who don't know Rouge: It's an unfair game

Good roguelikes are actually very fair once you know what you're doing. Very hard and unforgiving when you don't, but they encourage learning and figuring out how the game works. Luck is an element, but only to the extent that it makes you react differently, and rarely to be a game of Russian Roulette, which is what this is sounding like.

pokemonrougescreen2.png

You might want to reconsider how these cliffs are laid out. Your maps also have a lot of tile errors.

Years
Fair shout on the name, but I couldn't just take it's name. So I just altered it a bit.

The main point of this hack though is survival and scrounging. If it was fair it wouldn't be a hard game (which is the hack I'm going for).

And as with the tiles and such it was just a quick mock up, since this I have fixed these errors using the blockeditor - so no worries on that one.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Rouge is the word "red" in French, just saying...

This sounds like a fun hack. :-) All I ask is that you maybe make an easier version, just for those who don't want to get really frustrated (like me) and/or want to play a FAIR game. Please :D

Years
@Mr. Magius - Well it is a hack of FireRed so glad you got the refrence. As with the easier version... well, I spose I could... It does have the option of choosing from 3 different starters, from the first 3 gens, with no oak saying not to take another one. Meaning you can take just one, or all 3, depending on how brave you feel.

Years
Really? over 500 views and only 2 people have some feed back for me?

C'mon, anything you want to see in this hack? Anything you don't want to see?

But either way, a beta of the first 10 ish floors is almost ready. All it needs is the items in, which doesn't take an hour (it's a lot of rooms) and then a test run for mapping errors and it'll be ready.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
You'd get more comments if you had more than 3 screenshots ;-) And since it's only a 'sideshow' hack and not a completely full hack, there isn't much to say other than a few ideas.

Seriously though, add some more screenshots and I'll know what I'll be playing when the beta is out :-)

Years
Theres your 'more screenshots' :P

I don't know what you was expecting... your in an endless cave full of mazes... I'm not going to show you the way to the exit. But I spose you're right with the whole it only being a sideshow hack... Ah well, hopefully the table of who gets the furthest will inspire people to play competitivly.

On that note of the beta aswell, Mondays the day! This Monday! So in two days! It won't be all 99 floors nor a wide range of pokemon - mainly zubats - this is due to me betting no one will make it past the 5th floor straight away. But still if people do, cudos to them (if screenshot is provied as proof).

Years
Beta is added in now, feel free to download and let me know what you think - too hard, too easy maybe? Or item wise and such.

Either way, enjoy!

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
http://i.imgur.com/c4MtW.png

did you even playtest this

the encounter rate is a whopping 19% and the encounters are literally nothing but bats and a 2% chance of outrageously out-of-depth level 30+ kabutops

there are no visible items and the hidden ones are unmarked

they're also insanely powerful (early max revive tier) and typically on the main path

the maps are nothing but linear feature-less "mazes", all with the same encounters

and when you get to brock the game explodes because he has the same script as vanilla but with the trainer flag set

this is not how you design a test of skill

this is how you design a test of sheer luck

Years
I'm guessing you didn't play though the game and just went straight into advance map to examine it.

The game is meant to be based off luck.

The items are unmarked so you have to hunt for them.

The odds of someone finding the items in the places I put them is rare so I had to make it worth while -if they were sh*t items no one would get anywhere.

Oh I'm sorry, what did you expect to find in a cave? A rattata? maybe a krabby yeah?

And thats because its a place holder. To see if anyone actually gets that far in to the game.

Again, the game is based off sheer luck.

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
Years
Just started playing the game and made it to floor 5 with some effort with one Pokemon. Overall game is fine keep up with the goodwork.
Team:
Cyndaquil lvl12

Update: On 6th and 7th floor the sign is just a jumble of messed up text.

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Yes, actually, I would expect to find pokemon other than Zubats in a cave. Funny you should mention Rattata as an example even, since it actually does show up in caves in the Johto games.

I played it up until the...tenth floor I think? I lost count since the signs stop showing up shortly after they stop having text attached to them and eventually snapped and turned to A-Map after running from random bat #2145153.

Having arbitrary invisible items laying around encourages use of A-Map to find them, as there are no clues to their location and no reason other than ignorance to pass them up.

If you want the game to be pure luck then go ahead, but I think you could do much better with your premise.

Years
It's why I used it as an example... But don't get me wrong, I thought people would turn to it, to find there way to the exit mainly - with the items being a bonus.

Hmm, I spose I could make the game based more on skill... whatd you have in mind to make it more skillfully orientated?

@TheGameBringer42 - Nicely
Nicely done and I know the signs are messed up, that's just down to me thinking no one would get that far... Guess I should of kept the higher levels in. But thanks for your feedback, if you find any other bugs, let me know.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=241267

Last edited:
Years
Cheers Hacker Bisharp, it's coming along nicely, with a soon to be added in feature of easy, medium or hard modes - will depend on what hole you fall down that will take you to the same rooms just with different levels of pokemon and more items.

Years
@Hacker Bisharp
That is soon to come aswell, just working out some kinks, adding in cool new mazes and more pokemon to kill. So soon, keep checking back!

@Roranosuke
Hell yeah! That's what I was going for! What floor did you manage to get to? But don't worry, a new release will have an option for an easier mode.

Back