• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokémon AshGray Version (Beta 4.5 Released!!)

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
ashgraybg2.png

Hack of:
250px-Pokemon_FireRed.svg.png

AshGray Beta 4.5.3

intros.png

Hi, I've been working on a hack of FireRed for a Pokemon Anime Version of the game that basically follows the same events of the anime. I see that there have been hacks like this already, so I'm not sure how good mine would be in comparison. But I started this because I wanted to make videos of playing Pokemon all the way through with Ash's lineup, to see just how it would go and it snowballed from there.

I'm going to cover the events from each episode in the Kanto and Orange League series. The story follows the same one as the anime, including events, etc. I've basically hacked up to half way through the Orange Islands. You should expect a new Beta every 25 episodes or so, barring updates for bugs/glitches.

Official Facebook page:
Official Pokémon AshGray Facebook page

story.png

You are Ash Ketchum. You're about to embark on your Pokémon adventure. Unfortunately, you stayed up all night watching Pokémon matches and woke up late! With all your rivals from Pallet Town (the most annoying being Gary) having taken all the starters available, it looks like you'll just have to go home ... unless you want Pikachu instead.

You're about to embark on an adventure of 116 events (plus two movie events) that will put you in Ash's shoes, allow you to catch the Pokémon he catches, and make the decisions he makes. How will your journey as Ash Ketchum play out? There's only one way to find out ...

features.png

- Play as Ash Ketchum
- Have the opportunity to catch all of the Pokémon Ash does
- Follows the same events as in the Anime Series and be rewarded with special events/items for carrying Ash's team
- New Tiles
- New Sprites
- New Maps
- New Tools to replace HMs:
Hatchet replaces HM01 Cut
Computer Teleport System replaces HM02 Fly
Raft replaces HM03 Surf
Pickaxe replaces HM06 Rock Smash
Climb Kit is added to be used as Rock Climb
Whirlpuller is added to cross whirlpools

toolsused.png

APE
A-Text
Advance Map
OverworldEditor Rebirth Edition
UNLZ
XSE
YAPE
A-Trainer
Item Editor
NTME
TileMolestor
DayAndNight
Attack Type Editor
NSE
Hex Workshop
Fire Red Hacked Engine

screenshotsj.png

Spoiler:

videosld.png

AshGray Intro Screen:
Spoiler:

Events form "Pokémon I Choose You":
Spoiler:

Events from "The Water Flowers of Cerulean City":
Spoiler:

Events from "Bye Bye Butterfree":
Spoiler:

Events form "Pikachu's Goodbye":
Spoiler:

Events from "Primeape Goes Bananas":
Spoiler:

Events from "The Flame Pokémon-athon":
Spoiler:

Events from "A Scare in the Air":
Spoiler:

Intro event from "Pokémon the Movie 2000: The Power of one":
Spoiler:

mapsvx.png

Spoiler:

guideo.png

Official Ashgray Guide by Denali

bugs.png

Red = Critical - game-crashing glitch
Yellow = Medium - may affect gameplay
Green = Odd bug, but doesn't harm gameplay in the least
Strikethrough = Bug fixed :)

- Running Shoes don't work in Pallet Town or Route 1?
- Ash stays on Misty's bike after Pikachu thundershocks the Spearow

- Bad Eggs appearing in your Storage Boxes (DO NOT move them)
- The Pokédex thinks Onix is part of the Diglett/Dugtrio family :/ - Not a bug - FireRed's Pokedex is just weird
- Can't get on/off the bike in certain outdoor areas
- Teachy TV is broken - DON'T USE IT
- Rival's face turns red if you try to name him
- Message for computer in player's room stays opened
- Message for Prof. Oak evaluating Pokédex stays opened

- Ashley backsprite is sometimes discolored and HP bar may be discolored during battles as Ashley
- Pallet Town berry system doesn't work quite right yet
- Slight hitch in Pallet Town Windmill

- Quite a few more, I'm sure

creditspm.png

- colcolstyles, JPAN, TheDarkShark, and Jambo51 - Charmeleon/Charizard disobedience routine
- JPAN - Uncatchable Pokemon routine and awesome Fire Red Hacked Engine and his general knowledge
- doesntknowhowtoplay, Darthatron, & Jambo51 Phys/Spec split routines
- KDS - Updated Light Ball routine
- diegoisawesome - Force Male Gender in Intro patch
- HackMew - awesome tools like XSE, and general knowledge
- con-11 - Team Rocket trainer sprite
- mvidmaster - Mewtwo trainer sprite
- Alzatia - Ash trainer sprite (modified)
- TaniJ - Trainer sprite base (used for Danny & Rudy), Cissy, Drake, and Lorelei trainer sprites
- FoxBluereaver - Slate sprite
- Alistair - Xanadu Nursery tiles, special tree tile, and some flower tiles
- OceansLugiaSpirit - Professor Ivy OW sprite
- ShinyAeon - Tracey battle sprite
- Surav - Fallen Log Sprite (re-modelled)
- JohnnyRoll - B/W Grass (slightly altered)
- Kyledove and Speed - Various Diamond & Pearl Tiles
- Enterbrain and FlamingTeddyProductions - Modified playground sprites
- spriters-resource.com - Pokémon OWs and various tiles/sprites
- zappyspiker - BANNER 2 and 3
- Pyromaniac45 - BANNER 4
- Konekodemon - BANNER 5
- KurcioDurcio - BANNER 6
- Denali - Official Guide
- Me - Everything else
... If I've forgotten anyone, please let me know! I appreciate all the help I've gotten!

bannersr.png

Spoiler:

awardsu.png

Unofficial Hack of the Week # 128

Hack of the Month - September 2010

faqfqg.png

• Why doesn't Pikachu follow you like in Yellow? Can you make it follow you?
Spoiler:

• How do I beat Sabrina? Kadabra's way too strong!
Spoiler:

• Why is my screen red when I go outside?
Spoiler:

• I beat Misty, where do I go now? The path to Vermilion is blocked.
Spoiler:

• How do I get into Koga's Gym? I don't understand the statue's riddle.
Spoiler:

• How can I help Jigglypuff?
Spoiler:

• Why won't Charmeleon/Charizard obey me? How can I make it listen?
Spoiler:

• How do I complete the Lights, Camera, Quaction! event? The director doesn't like any of my Pokémon!
Spoiler:

• How do I start the Pokémon League? The guy at the gate says it still hasn't started yet.
Spoiler:

[A ID]episodes[/A ID]
episodes.png

* Strikethrough indicates the episode is completed
* √ = Beta-tested, metapod23 approved (for Beta 3.0)

Spoiler:

Updates:
5/9/15 - beta 4.5.3 with fix for activated Make Room for Gloom event released
AshGray Beta 4.5.3
5/8/15 - beta 4.5.2 with bug fixes for Agatha and cutting trees in Snorlax event released
AshGray Beta 4.5.2
4/10/15 - Beta 4.51 with bug fixes for after North Pole, Krabby not appearing, and other glitches released
4/5/15 - Beta 4.5 released
7/20/13 - Beta 4.2 released with bug fixes
7/13/13 - Beta 4.1 released with bug fixes
7/10/13 - Beta 4.0 released covering through episode 98 - A Way Off Day Off
9/13/11 - Beta 3.6 released including new animations, tiles, scripts, and some fixed glitches
8/18/11 - Indigo League blackout after fourth round glitch fixed; releasing Pidgeot if you have Pidgeotto on Route 1 glitch fixed and beta 3.5.4 re-released
8/16/11 - Various glitches for Indigo League and Pallet Party Panic fixed and re-released as Beta 3.5.2 3.5.3
8/15/11 - Various glitches for Indigo League fixed and re-released as 3.5.1
8/14/11 - Beta 3.5 covering all of Indigo League has been released
8/3/11 - Working on episode "All Fired Up"
7/30/11 - Working on Victory Road
7/27/11 - Beta 3 bugs fixed and re-released as Beta 3.03
7/26/11 - BETA 3.0 has been released!
HTML:

ashgraybg3.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2015
You can ad some new event's and tiles. The idea is very good. Good luck

(were did you get the pokemon overworlds. pm me)

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Anime hacks/RPG's are quite popular today, but I suppose you will be able to put your personal touch into this hack. From what I see, there's a lot of work to be done. Why are some screenies too light?

Some of the screenshots were taken from video that weren't high quality and some of them were captured directly from the game. I do still have a long way to go, but it is progressing bit by bit. Thanks for the comment. :)

You can ad some new event's and tiles. The idea is very good. Good luck

(were did you get the pokemon overworlds. pm me)

I think adding new tiles will be the last thing I do, but I am doing my best to replicate the events of the anime series. I'm editing the overworld sprites myself in Photoshop, which is the easiest way to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2015
I think adding new tiles will be the last thing I do, but I am doing my best to replicate the events of the anime series. I'm editing the overworld sprites myself in Photoshop, which is the easiest way to do it.

you should add the new tiles first becouse than the game will be messed up.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
it shouldn't mess up the game by adding tiles later...

This looks pretty good so far. The backsprite needs work... unless the discoloration and lack of details in the color is from the brightness. Hope you get clearer screenshots up soon!

Anyways, good luck!

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024

Like the above poster said, it won't mess up. Unless you are not careful, and only replace the tiles that you are changing.

Anyway, this looks good. In my opinion, don't change the tiles unless you have REALLY unique ones. FR tiles are unique in hacks nowadays.

Westrmistr

Westermeister
Years
This looks pretty cool! I've actually made a Misty Trainer sprite like that in one of the screen shots. XD

So, I hope you keep at this and make it awesome!

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for the comments, everyone! :)

I've added a new video showing what I have for the re-edited beginning of the game, which covers episode one of the anime:

AshGray - Pokémon I Choose You

it shouldn't mess up the game by adding tiles later...

This looks pretty good so far. The backsprite needs work... unless the discoloration and lack of details in the color is from the brightness. Hope you get clearer screenshots up soon!

Anyways, good luck!

I added a picture with an updated version of the backsprite. Mostly I just fixed the colors of his backpack/gloves and made his hat a bit brighter red. Thanks for the support! :)

Like the above poster said, it won't mess up. Unless you are not careful, and only replace the tiles that you are changing.

Anyway, this looks good. In my opinion, don't change the tiles unless you have REALLY unique ones. FR tiles are unique in hacks nowadays.

Thanks! I don't have plans for the tiles yet, but I could see myself trying to maybe create something for Bill's Lighthouse that looks more like a lighthouse. I haven't done much with tile editing, though, so that would take some practice anyway.

This looks pretty cool! I've actually made a Misty Trainer sprite like that in one of the screen shots. XD

So, I hope you keep at this and make it awesome!

Thanks! I'm going to try to see it to the end.

I think I might release a Beta after I get through 25 episodes and keep doing that until I get through the whole Kanto/Orange Island series.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
I added a picture with an updated version of the backsprite. Mostly I just fixed the colors of his backpack/gloves and made his hat a bit brighter red. Thanks for the support! :)
The sprite looks better, the green is a lot better of a touch, but you should still add more detail. The colors look too flat, almost gbc-ish, just using more colors than gbc does xD. Not really, but erm... the clothes are the main flat colors that make it look weird imo.

I saw the video of the intro on YouTube just now. It looks really good, better than what I've seen in other anime remake hacks before. You should really record straight from VBA though. I know the uncompressed codec gets the video size really high, but you can just make it smaller later with a basic program like Movie Maker, when you save it.

Just a head's up. I'll check back to see how to hack progresses. xD

alo123

Munchlax Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 25, 2019
I saw the video and it was great the part where
the pikachu jumped and the flash of light was great
cant wait to play this good luck

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
The updated backsprite does looks better than the original. (b ' ')b

& This hack looks good so far.
I like that it's based off the anime, so I'll definitely give it a go if the beta is released. :D

As for the video, I liked how you handled the Spearow attack, and actually had the Pikachu sprite run up the tree. xD Nicely done.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Update: Managed to change the intro sprite for the main character and the rival - I sprited a picture of Ash and Gary myself.

The sprite looks better, the green is a lot better of a touch, but you should still add more detail. The colors look too flat, almost gbc-ish, just using more colors than gbc does xD. Not really, but erm... the clothes are the main flat colors that make it look weird imo.

I saw the video of the intro on YouTube just now. It looks really good, better than what I've seen in other anime remake hacks before. You should really record straight from VBA though. I know the uncompressed codec gets the video size really high, but you can just make it smaller later with a basic program like Movie Maker, when you save it.

Just a head's up. I'll check back to see how to hack progresses. xD

I'll have to work on the backsprite more. (It's a little tougher for me to edit since I can't export it to Photoshop.) I'll keep posting updates as I come up with them.

I saw the video and it was great the part where
the pikachu jumped and the flash of light was great
cant wait to play this good luck

Thanks! :)

The progress is good so far.. but the sprites are poor and the backsprite is ununique, the sprites needs more work XD

I don't claim to be the best spriter, so I'm doing the best I can, but I can always go back and change them a bit.

The updated backsprite does looks better than the original. (b ' ')b

& This hack looks good so far.
I like that it's based off the anime, so I'll definitely give it a go if the beta is released. :D

As for the video, I liked how you handled the Spearow attack, and actually had the Pikachu sprite run up the tree. xD Nicely done.

Thanks!

in route 1 the ho-oh could fly from the up of the map to the down of the map.
(i know my grammar is bad but i'm not from england or america)

I tried. It won't flap it's wings if it goes vertically across the screen.

I checked the video and I was impressed.
This is great piece of scripting work truly fantastic!
But the sprites aren't so good as others said but I believe ya can fix it

Thanks! I have been improving on my scripting a lot since I started this. I'm finally feeling pretty comfortable with it. I'll try to improve the spirtes and get better at making them when I can. :)

Back