• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Map Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years
A personalised map editor for the Advance Generation games that is coded in C# targeting the .Net Framework 3.5.

Screens
Map Editor View
Attributes View
Map Properties View
Map Header View

Credits & Greets
Gamer2020 - Inspiring me to code a editor.
Kyoufu Kawa - His map editor tutorial.
Lin - Help with C# drawing functions that really speed up map loading.
LU-HO - His map editor's interface & design and the tutorials he wrote.

Last edited:

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Well, it looks nice.
Although, at this point it is kind of ... pointless (?)
Unless you plan on adding more to it, than what we already have in advance map.
IDK. That's just my opinion I guess.
Some suggestions:
Full-Screen Mode (?)
"Floating Toolbars" { for the tile selectors } ( eg, in paintXP you could drag the color palette off the borders, and it's a "floating toolbar" )
hm...yea. Of course, it probably wouldn't hurt to integrate your tileset manager / door editor either? :)
hm...oh, and event support. You should get some of that too. :P ( Perhaps HM would be willing to share some XSE stuff for integrated script editor? )
These are all just ideas off the top of my head, for improvement. It looks completely fine as it is right now though. :)

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
1. I would love the see the source some time.
2. Might I suggest a different style of movement permissions? Where...
  • The height is represented by a number (eg 1, 2, 3, 4, etc) or color.
  • The permission is based on color (eg Red = blocked, Blue = accessable) or a symbol.
Or something similar? I never really liked the numbered system that there currently is. It doesn't feel like a tool, but just dressed up hex. But that's just me.
3. Better big-block selection. Like the marquee tool in PhotoShop?
4. Copy/Paste.
5. I would love the see the source some time. :P

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Full Metal said:
Well, it looks nice.
Although, at this point it is kind of ... pointless (?)
Unless you plan on adding more to it, than what we already have in advance map.
IDK. That's just my opinion I guess.
Some suggestions:
Full-Screen Mode (?)
"Floating Toolbars" { for the tile selectors } ( eg, in paintXP you could drag the color palette off the borders, and it's a "floating toolbar" )
hm...yea. Of course, it probably wouldn't hurt to integrate your tileset manager / door editor either?
hm...oh, and event support. You should get some of that too. ( Perhaps HM would be willing to share some XSE stuff for integrated script editor? )
These are all just ideas off the top of my head, for improvement. It looks completely fine as it is right now though.
Thanks :) Yeah, I took design and interface ideas from Advance Map, EliteMap, .. I have to agree, it'll be no where near to as perfect as Advance Map is lol Anyway, coding a map editor is a fun exercise for programmers XD

You read my mind, I've actually wanted to integrate both of those tools. Yeah sure, so far I've got the events half done ;) But the stuff look ugly lol I think I got how to load scripts via XSE but yeah I'll talk to him if I need more help.

Edit: Look at this, that's what I meant ugly. I couldn't make the right icons for events XD Have to try more in photoshop.
http://i51.tinypic.com/sxknjt.png

Darthatron said:
1. I would love the see the source some time.
2. Might I suggest a different style of movement permissions? Where...

The height is represented by a number (eg 1, 2, 3, 4, etc) or color.
The permission is based on color (eg Red = blocked, Blue = accessable) or a symbol.

Or something similar? I never really liked the numbered system that there currently is. It doesn't feel like a tool, but just dressed up hex. But that's just me.
3. Better big-block selection. Like the marquee tool in PhotoShop?
4. Copy/Paste.
5. I would love the see the source some time.
Hey Darcy :) Long time.. Yeah, I'll show you once I'm close to releasing a workable version. Shouldn't be far.
Can you give more insight on that idea, so like a different color for different movement permissions?

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Thanks :) Yeah, I took design and interface ideas from Advance Map, EliteMap, .. I have to agree, it'll be no where near to as perfect as Advance Map is lol Anyway, coding a map editor is a fun exercise for programmers XD

You read my mind, I've actually wanted to integrate both of those tools. Yeah sure, so far I've got the events half done ;) But the stuff look ugly lol I think I got how to load scripts via XSE but yeah I'll talk to him if I need more help.

Edit: Look at this, that's what I meant ugly. I couldn't make the right icons for events XD Have to try more in photoshop.
http://i51.tinypic.com/sxknjt.png

Hey Darcy :) Long time.. Yeah, I'll show you once I'm close to releasing a workable version. Shouldn't be far.
Can you give more insight on that idea, so like a different color for different movement permissions?

Hahaha. Why not just load the actual game sprites?
( I might try my hand at making some icons for you this weekend. )

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Full Metal said:
Hahaha. Why not just load the actual game sprites?
( I might try my hand at making some icons for you this weekend. )
I will, just trying to get everything done at the moment before moving onto sprites :D Yeah, kinda suck with those graphics stuff.

Team Fail said:
Haha. You're just like me. I can't do graphics either. I do like your map editor, though. It's basic and simple, and it doesn't look too bad for loading times either.
Thanks. Yeah, I try to keep it simple. Trues up! I can't do quality graphics either.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Something like this:
21nfbqh.png

Where X is not passable on any level. But if it was level specific it would be red with a number.

EDIT:
Got bored:
257hft2.png

The first one is the level changing permission, the other green one is the multi-level permission. You get the gist.

The purple and orange tiles do nothing, as far as I know?

EDIT2: Not the mention this would make more sense with the "Script Tile" which you have to specify the level for. Though that would have to start from 1 instead of 0, an easy fix.

EDIT3:
29atguc.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012
nice try for those permission sprites, I can make some permission sprites for you if you wish, I know Photoshop for 6 years now so I know what I'm doing ;)

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
Something like this:
21nfbqh.png

Where X is not passable on any level. But if it was level specific it would be red with a number.

EDIT:
Got bored:
257hft2.png

The first one is the level changing permission, the other green one is the multi-level permission. You get the gist.

The purple and orange tiles do nothing, as far as I know?

EDIT2: Not the mention this would make more sense with the "Script Tile" which you have to specify the level for. Though that would have to start from 1 instead of 0, an easy fix.

EDIT3:
29atguc.png
I'll look into that. We should look into movement permissions more I guess.

LifeLux said:
nice try for those permission sprites, I can make some permission sprites for you if you wish, I know Photoshop for 6 years now so I know what I'm doing ;)
Okay, I'll let you know if something comes up.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
hi i belive the movement persmisons should be edited like that as on advance map they confuses me i only know the surf one and non walk able and walk able

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Oh my you finally posted this =0

You are doing great work on it and have already beat my editor lol
Good luck I hope you finish it. I don't have any suggestions but if I get any ideas I'll let you know ;)

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I'll look into that. We should look into movement permissions more I guess.

If you want a hand, I have a 3 week break coming up next week. ;)

Good for you.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Mimicking the Brush Palette feature in SCMDraft2 (a fan-made StarCraft 1 map editor) would be pretty awesome. It would considerably speed up the placement of multi-tile structures (i.e. trees), among other things. I don't think there's a lot of overlap between the Pokemon GBA ROM hacking community and the near-dead mapping community of a decade-plus-old game, so I'll elaborate:

With the Brush Palette feature, any formation of terrain tiles (not just rectangles) can be selected and saved as a brush, to be invoked later at any time. Brushes can be saved in brush palette files, and reloaded when using the editor later. This means that complex or tricky arrangements of tiles/blocks can be saved for reuse without a mapper having to rebuild them from scratch every time they wish to use them.

Here's an image of the brush palette feature being used to place a custom-made Dirt-to-Dirt cliff. The faded-blue tiles show where it will "land" when you click.
Spoiler:

Very convenient. Very user-friendly. Something like that in a Pokemon GBA map editor would be absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2017
This is just like A-map only with less functions!
Try adding more functions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
i have a idea idk if its possible you should put the pokemon changer but make it where you can put as many as you want and what percent you want it and good luck on this it will help me a lot

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
i have a idea idk if its possible you should put the pokemon changer but make it where you can put as many as you want
You mean, removing the limit to how many Wild Pokemon entries you can add?

I'm pretty sure that that would take some heavy modifications to the game engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back