• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Dear Lord. I'm on Facebook and just scrolled past a picture of a billboard that says, "'I miss hearing you say 'Merry Christmas.' -Jesus"

Rolling my eyes right now. Thought I'd bring this billboard up in here, especially since most of the replies say, "I say Merry Christmas" lol...just ridiculous. Don't be sad, Jesus. Most people are saying it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Dear Lord. I'm on Facebook and just scrolled past a picture of a billboard that says, "'I miss hearing you say 'Merry Christmas.' -Jesus"
I'm going to assume that came from somewhere in the Bible belt, because where else would find overtly religious billboards? Let alone tasteless.

That's just... very ugh.

Years
Happy Holidays. I think "Merry Christmas" is a cheap way out sometimes, easy and simple. Plus, Christmas is just one day compared to "Happy Holidays" where it's more than one day. But, I don't get angry at people who say "Merry Christmas", they at least make the effort to say it and it makes me feel a lot warmer, if that's the right word.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm going to assume that came from somewhere in the Bible belt, because where else would find overtly religious billboards? Let alone tasteless.

It didn't say where it was posted, but the environment seemed like here and I live in the Bible Belt, so obviously the majority of my Facebook people do too.

I personally believe in Jesus, but shoot, that to me is more offensive than whether or not someone says MC or HH. If I was Jesus...I'd be pissed.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I frankly don't give it much thought. I usually am not the one to say it first so I'll simply reciprocate what I'm told, since that's probably what the person wants to hear, assuming they care.

I understand why people get defensive, but I don't think it's necessarily something that should warrant as much controversy as it has.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I usually say Merry Christmas, though sometimes Happy Holidays as well. I always thought it was dumb when people got offended by either of them. I mean, you know what the person means, they aren't trying to exclude you or trying to destroy your religion, they only wished you well, so just go with it.

As for me, I celebrate Christmas, but I hardly give it a thought which phrase is said to me.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'll say both "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays," because 1) Christmas is the dominant holiday in my place, and 2) Christmas isn't the only holiday in December, as we have Hanukhah and Kuanza, which are also important religious holidays. The only people I ever see are offended and aren't from these groups are the Scrooge-type individuals who want to give others a hard time.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Despite the fact that a large amount of people in my town aren't Christian (in fact, I myself am Jewish), I normally say Merry Christmas. In fact, Christmas in general is a holiday most people I know celebrate (myself included) even if they aren't Christian.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I prefer to call it, "Putting My Bank Account Into the Black Day" personally since it's typically the most profitable day of the year for me financially. But then it occurred to me that name for the holiday is too long and cumbersome.

As for the two popular naming conventions for the holiday, I'm cool with either, though I have to say "Merry Christmas" around my family because they will throw a fit about it if I say "Happy Holidays" (and I'd imagine they'd go postal if I referred to it by my preferred name).

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
This is one of the weirdest times of the year to be an atheist.

Especially a former believer.

As it is I say neither. If someone says something to me I will be polite and say thanks instead of returning the greeting, except I swear flipping 99% of the time I'm on auto correct and say "you too" without a thought. (Has anyone done that? It was my birthday Friday, and twice people wished me a happy birthday... and I responded with 'you too'... only to realize right after they leave that that made no sense.)

Sure I'm willing to explain my atheism or lack of enthusiasm toward the holiday season, but only if it's brought up. If someone asks me what I'm doing for 'insert holiday' I just say I don't celebrate it. Usuallly then people back off a bit, if they inquire further I'll tell them.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
You can't take everyone into account. Generally Christmas is celebrated, so you say Merry Christmas. You can't consider every single person who doesn't celebrate Christmas or celebrates something else like Chanooka or whatever else there is. People who get offended when you tell them Merry Christmas while they don't celebrate it expect way too much of others. Christmas isn't even officially celebrated here and people don't care what people say to eachother.

Reactions: Her

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
This is one of the weirdest times of the year to be an atheist.

Especially a former believer.

As it is I say neither. If someone says something to me I will be polite and say thanks instead of returning the greeting, except I swear flipping 99% of the time I'm on auto correct and say "you too" without a thought. (Has anyone done that? It was my birthday Friday, and twice people wished me a happy birthday... and I responded with 'you too'... only to realize right after they leave that that made no sense.)

Sure I'm willing to explain my atheism or lack of enthusiasm toward the holiday season, but only if it's brought up. If someone asks me what I'm doing for 'insert holiday' I just say I don't celebrate it. Usuallly then people back off a bit, if they inquire further I'll tell them.
I said "you too" when someone said "thank you, come again" while leaving a store XD Oops.

And so I can make this relevant to the thread a bit. I don't find what's generally celebrated as "Christmas" in the public eye currently to be all that religious. General... winterness, Santa, snowmen, presents, food. The commercial version of Christmas. So, in that sense, "Merry Christmas" is more like "enjoy your wintertime" not "happy not-really Jesus' birthday day".

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
Merry Christmas. There are several holidays in December, from different religions, but I believe Christmas is prominent, and idrc if you think otherwise. :3

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
I always say happy holidays in fears someone might get upset if they don't actually celebrate christmas

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I don't really mind either. I'm atheist, and I still use "Merry Christmas" only because that's what I grew up saying as a kid.

In a public place (i.e Work or Mall, etc.) I would say "Happy Holidays", just so I don't accidentally spark a humungous lawsuit for no reason.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
keh1354757804r.jpg

I'm intending to use this this year, should someone call me out on saying Happy Holidays.

Anyway, me, the only time I say Merry Christmas is on... you know... Christmas. Saying it any other day of the year is pointless.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
keh1354757804r.jpg

I'm intending to use this this year, should someone call me out on saying Happy Holidays.

Anyway, me, the only time I say Merry Christmas is on... you know... Christmas. Saying it any other day of the year is pointless.
What about on Christmas eve? :p

Back