• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Indexing sprites and inserting trainer sprites into your ROM

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
In this tutorial I will teach you how to index a trainer sprite (part 1) and insert it into your ROM! (part 2)

What you will need:

Indexing your sprite.

Why do I need to index my sprite? You must index your sprite before inserting it into your ROM because a sprite on a ROM consists of a palette with 16 to 256 colours and unLZ will not insert it into the ROM and will just feed you the same error over and over explaining that you haven't indexed your sprite. The indexed sprite you produce from following this guide will leave you with the same looking sprite as you or someone else produced, just with a file size around six hundred to nine hundred bytes; around ten times smaller then the originally produced sprite.

STEP 1

Spoiler:

STEP 2

Spoiler:

STEP 3

Spoiler:

STEP 4

Spoiler:

STEP 5

Spoiler:

STEP 6

Spoiler:

STEP 7

Spoiler:

STEP 8

Spoiler:

STEP 9

Spoiler:

STEP 10

Spoiler:

STEP 11

Spoiler:

STEP 12

Spoiler:

STEP 13

Spoiler:

STEP 14

Spoiler:

STEP 15

Spoiler:

STEP 16

Spoiler:

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE CORRECTLY INDEXED YOUR SPRITE!

[INSERTING SPRITE INTO ROM TUTORIAL BEING ADDED ON SOON!]

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Correction. You need to index a sprite because the images in the ROM use palettes of only 16 or 256 colors, and if it's not indexed it doesn't have a palette, and can't be inserted.

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2012
Thanks a bunch dude, just trying to be of help... You know? Could you suggest a way of how I could change the title of this thread from 'wefws' to 'Indexing sprites and inserting trainer sprites into your ROM.' because I misnamed it while creating the thread...

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Thanks a bunch dude, just trying to be of help... You know? Could you suggest a way of how I could change the title of this thread from 'wefws' to 'Indexing sprites and inserting trainer sprites into your ROM.' because I misnamed it while creating the thread...
PM a ROM hacking section mod, tehy should be able to help you with it.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2022
can use this to put in new overworld sprites. (i dont know if that is the correct term). But i am hacking a ruby rom, but i want team rocket and professor oak, as well as a few other characters from fire red.

If not can you direct me to a tutorial that teaches me how to do that?

Back