• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo and Europe

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Does anyone else feel like Nintendo's relationship towards their European fans is getting rather awful?
European fans nowadays gets the short end of the stick when it comes down to newly released games. I remember how it's usually approximately between one and four months before new games are in stock in your nearby stores, if we're lucky nowadays we've to wait six months to get new games on the consoles, worse case senario it even takes YEARS before we can get to enjoy a game we've been waiting for patiently while mostly the USA are laughing at us. If it was region-free that would change the whole matter, but sadly it's not.

(Quite ironic, though. 3DS: Region locked - Awesome ton of games.
PS Vita: Region Free - Only a few good titles worth mentioning for.)

Your thoughts?

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I think you've been living under a rock for a while, Nintendo games in Europe actually improved in release schemes.
Most major 3DS and Wii U games get released on the same date, 2 days before America, or a week after America.
We even got games like Mario & Luigi first.

The only problem is the price.
Something what costs $ 40 USD in America, costs € 40,- in Europe.
Same digits, different currency.
$ 40 USD = € 29,58.
€ 40,- = $ 54,08 USD.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Sorry but I don't really care about the major games at all. To be accurate it's mostly the niche games that's getting the short end of the stick for european fans each year and most people are already aware of that. And Nintendo bringing their major games earlier to Europe isn't really a big surprise at all, it wasn't really that different from years ago.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Australia is often treated as part of Europe (PAL I suppose), but also gets the short end of the stick, if not worse. Going on the price thing, we get 3DS games up to $70 here for instance, and that was even when our dollar was better than the US's (and it's not much worse rn either). And we seem to be getting less stuff that Europe too, overall.

Years
Some are on the same day now like X and Y and other people in the thread have commented points I agree with.

MKGirlism

Years
Decimosoma, you mean the Independent (Indie) games?
In that case, I can answer it even better.

Smaller games have more to struggle than the bigger ones.
In the American Region, we have to deal 1 Age Rating System (ESRB) and up to 4 languages (English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese).
Here in Europe, we have to deal with 3 Age Rating Systems (PEGI, USK, and ACB) and up to 8 languages (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, and Russian).
Which languages you want to use is up to the Developers, all Age Rating Systems are required, and they cost between € 250,- and € 2000,- per rating, per System.
If you want to use a language you don't speak, you'll need to get a professional Translator, which costs a lot too.
Beside that, Nintendo sends you many Contracts over per game you want to release, it doesn't cost anything, but it still delays a bit.
Other than these costs, think of rental of the office/building, one time costs like DevKits and PCs, electricity, other bills, these simple stuff can horribly delay releases too.

Indie Developers are simply low on budget, we just can't effort to release a game everywhere on the globe.
The reason why I can is, because I've been saving money before I even started anything.
It really isn't Nintendo who screws it up, as the Developer decides when to release anything per Region, and there are up to 6 Regions Nintendo supports: Japan, America, Europe/Australia (seriously, that's how it's called), Korea, Taiwan, and China.

Edit:
I forgot to talk about one more thing: Lot Check.
If you screw it up on at least one thing, you need to re-check it, causing delay again.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Getting that way? It's been that way for years and years now. Several Gamecube games never made it to EU shores, and the hassle involved in getting the original Animal Crossing to come to the UK...well. Nintendo are frequently forgetting that there is, actually, a world outside of the US and Japan, and on the whole, I don't see a huge improvement in Nintendo in terms of release date gaps. Unless it's something major, the gap between the US and EU release date will be at least a month most of the time, if not longer.

I will give Nintendo their due, though: they have improved in bringing games to EU shores, if not necessarily doing so quickly. At least, it makes a nice change for America to have to campaign for something - the games of Operation Rainfall, to name the most prominent - and have them released over here with barely any fuss whatsoever.

Region locking has affected all English speaking territories I think, as a lot of good 3DS games haven't even made it out of Japan, never mind the US. Nintendo have really shot themselves in the foot with that one, especially since Sony and Microsoft both have abandoned it...

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
Sorry but I don't really care about the major games at all. To be accurate it's mostly the niche games that's getting the short end of the stick for european fans each year and most people are already aware of that. And Nintendo bringing their major games earlier to Europe isn't really a big surprise at all, it wasn't really that different from years ago.

Niche games aren't what bring in the big bucks that Nintendo wants. This is why they're typically promoted in Japan and the US, if at all. I mean, I only found out about some interesting 3DS niche games very recently and I'm from the States. So, it's not just Europe getting the short end of the stick.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think you've been living under a rock for a while, Nintendo games in Europe actually improved in release schemes.
Most major 3DS and Wii U games get released on the same date, 2 days before America, or a week after America.
We even got games like Mario & Luigi first.

The only problem is the price.
Something what costs $ 40 USD in America, costs € 40,- in Europe.
Same digits, different currency.
$ 40 USD = € 29,58.
€ 40,- = $ 54,08 USD.

Yeah but the people in Europe also earn money in euro so this is not a fair comparison. The adequate comparison would be between the cost of life, which is much higher in Europe from what I know.

Other than solidarizing with the lack of games I'm not supposed to care about the European market, though, as we in Brazil (luckily) don't have an own standard so we are included in the American region by default, which is a big advantage. With the advent of Blu-Ray all the major media releases are being translated to Portuguese as standard which is a huge improvement since before we only had the option of English and Spanish. The problem is that in Brazil the minimum wage is something like $300 in US currency and a game costs around $70, so it's impracticable to buy too many games. I'm still waiting to buy MK7 and OoT 3D because of this, and there are more 3DS games I want, but I can't go on a spree because it would break me.

So in a nutshell, every place apart from USA and Japan have their problems. We get the games but we can't buy them, you can buy the games but you don't get them. And region locks are a *****.

I'm flattered that you mentioned Portuguese language, though. Never thought we Portuguese speakers were too relevant. ^^

MKGirlism

Years
Actually, when submitting a game to Nintendo of America, we must set the price in the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil only, so you're not really an 'own standard' Region, in terms of Nintendo.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
The only thing that sucks about buying games in Europe and Australia is that the price for games is extremely overpriced. I feel sorry for you guys.

MKGirlism

Years
That's what I already explained.
However, if you think games in West-Europe are overpriced, then you never were in East-Europe.
Although they're still in a cheaper position than Australia, or even New-Zealand.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
We also have to understand that European prices include VAT, something American ones don't (because there isn't a federal equivalent), meaning actual prices can be higher in some States. Although well, the average VAT in Europe is close to 20-something % while the average US sales tax is about 7%. But if you take the taxes out of European prices, the difference is much smaller than it seems at a first glance.

MKGirlism

Years
Not really.
Ireland has 15% VAT, Germany has 19% VAT, and Netherlands has 21% VAT.
Game prices in all 3 countries are equally € 40,- for, let's say, Pokémon X.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The only thing that sucks about buying games in Europe and Australia is that the price for games is extremely overpriced. I feel sorry for you guys.

Europe, overpriced? Europe is chip change compared to Brazil. Here the games are simply unobtainable to a lot of people.

Back