• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Community-Built Region RP (All Welcome, Even If Not RPing!)

BugTypeAficionado

Bug types are so hi-technicaaaal!
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
Community-Built Region RP

GM'd by BugTypeAficionado

Rating: M
For possible gore, romance, violence, and other adult themes.
(Although this process and the RP itself is relatively tame, just opening that door for more mature players.)

smeargle.gif
~
Welcome to the world of Pok?mon!

For generations, going on a journey with Pok?mon by one's side has been a tradition, a rite of passage for many. Obtaining a Pok?mon and then embarking upon a journey, whether to collect badges and become a champion, to leave audiences starstruck worldwide, or just pursuing personal passions and finding oneself, many different people walk with Pokemon by their side for many different reasons.

While it's traditional for those coming of age to receive a Pokemon at the age of 18, it is not unheard of for people to pursue the path of a Pokemon Trainer at a younger or older age. Whoever you are and wherever you come from doesn't matter, just about anybody can be a Pokemon Trainer.

How does your journey start? Far, far away from home. A professor from a distant region has several Pokemon in their care whom need a good home, too attached to humans to be released into the wild.
With not enough people willing to take these Pokemon in (and after getting more and more pushes and nudges from the region's tourism bureau), they've devised a solution that will satisfy both needs;
Find aspiring Pokemon trainers-to-be from over seas to give these Pokemon to.

You are one of the lucky few who visited the professor's website, and after hearing of their plea, applied to have one of the Pokemon given to you. After reviewing each application, you were also lucky enough to be accepted. The professor paid for each and every person's plane ticket (With the pay they received for advertising the tourism bureau's services), and here you are, in the lovely region of...!
Of...?

Where are you, exactly?

~

Welcome to the Community-Built Region RP (title not final)! The name is a bit explanatory, but allow me to explain how things are going to work here. If you've heard of the Omnis Region, this is a bit similar, although things will be executed differently and the end-goal is a bit different. Through the use of polls and submissions (either through this thread or by PMing me personally, although I'd prefer the former unless necessary), we will, as a community, build a Pokemon region from scratch. The Pokemon, the inhabitants, and the region they all reside in! Nearly anything and everything will be decided by you guys, and once we have a complete dex, region, and cast, they will set the stage for our Pokemon journey RP.

Not interested in joining the RP, but want to contribute to the creative cause? That's perfectly fine, and even encouraged! The more people we can get in here voting in polls or submitting designs, the better! This is a community built project after all.

If you are interested in joining the RP, just buckle in, we don't have an OOC or anything yet. In fact, we do not intend to have an OOC or IC until the region is finished. Anyone and everyone can contribute to the creative process, so having sign ups this early in seems redundant until the RP is ready to start, which will be a good while. A very good while.

Rules
1. All normal PC rules and regulations apply.
2. Once a post goes up announcing a poll or contest is open, you may vote or submit for that poll/contest until the deadline. The deadline is usually posted with the announcement of the poll/contest, and once I post to announce the closing of a poll/contest, I will not take anything after that point.
3. Please do not submit any content not pertaining to a current contest.
4. Do not submit designs that are based off of copyrighted designs/characters. Anything public domain is game.
5. I can not stress this enough, but please have fun. This is arguably the most important rule.

Current Polls
None right now. Check back later!

Current Contests
* What shall our region be named? Leave a suggestion below! (Deadline: 9/26/17, 3PM HST

Last edited:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
What real life location shall our region be based off of?

I think it would be cool to have a Pok?mon region set in Latin America or Mexico, to showcase the different environments like deserts, rainforests or even mountain ranges (if we're talking Peru/Chile). We could even base Fakemon on Mayan/Aztec mythology!

P.S.: Moved your post to the Theatre, since it's not an OOC. We'll be adding a [Workshop] tag soon enough for you, so don't worry!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yes, south american region is something I'd like to see! Include the mountains with cold areas, the Amazon, the jungle, some deserts and plains etc. And booming cities and loads of old ruins and temples.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
South America is a great idea; the games pay a lot of homage to places like Guana especially, regarding Mew, so basing it there could be just as much a funny reference as an interesting locale!

I don't know much about the countries at large, only that Brazil is the biggest and most "marketed" place here in the states. Argentina has a mountain range if I'm remembering right. Basing a region from a country or other sovereign territory would prevent overgeneralizing cultural influences and just keep things more organized and contained imo.

I like the sound of Latin America too. Mexico is the go-to as someone, again, from the U.S. Not the worldliest of countries.

I'll also toss Australia into the ring. It isn't nearly as encompassing as South America, so I think it could work as one region! You have your big cities, as well as your wilderness. There's both Western and Aborigine cultures to reference. It might also be cool to have a desert-dominated region, or at least present an environment where a desert route wouldn't be so intrusive. I always thought the desert routes came out of nowhere in games like R/S/E, B/W(2). Maybe we can finally get a Sandstorm Castform too, who knows. Maybe we can finally BUFF Castform.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
I totally agree that Latin America would be fantastic. My bf's family is Mexican, so I know I could get some relevant information about culture, holidays, folklore, ect from him.

My other suggestion is Canada; it's a large land with MANY different geographical regions. We have oceansides, mountain ranges (Appalachians and Rockies), boreal forests, lakes (the Great Lakes, Lake Winnipeg,, Great Slave Lake, ect) rocky terrain, prairies (both natural plains and farm land), tundra, islands (in the north, the Maritimes, off the coast of British Colombia, ect), Wetlands, Badlands, marshes, ect. The different seasons also have a huge impact, so the areas are forever changing.

We also have some pretty interesting animals; beavers (we need a cooler one than Bidoof), Canada Geese, moose, puffins, beluga whales, prairie dogs, arctic hare, moon bears, lynx, painted turtles, wolverines, big-horn sheep, singing voles, FREAKING NARWHALS, and ect. This is on top of pets and barnyard animals (chickens!)

There are also some interesting landmarks and events that go on, the ice hotel in Quebec, the Bluenose Schooner in Nova Scotia, the Sea-to-Sky highway in B.C., ect.

So yeah, that's my pitch anyway. I could go on forever if given the chance, haha.

BugTypeAficionado

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
We're already getting a lot of good suggestions, that's great to see!

I didn't determine a deadline at the time of posting, but since we're already getting a good handful of suggestions, I'll close submissions today, at 3PM HST. That's 4 hours from the time of posting this update. If you have any more suggestions you want to throw into the ring before then, now's the time! Shortly after submissions close, I'll put up a poll for everyone to vote, and that poll should close tomorrow at around the same time, assuming we get enough votes to make a definitive decision.

BugTypeAficionado

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
I'm an hour late, but submissions are now closed for the real life inspiration of our region.

A poll will be going up shortly, listing every option suggested. That poll will close tomorrow at around the same time, assuming we have enough votes in it.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Agreed! I like all of these options.

BugTypeAficionado

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
With an overwhelming 3 votes to 1, our region will be based off of the real world location of...

Mercator-Map-Mexico-Flag-1680273.jpg

Mexico!

This should provide some interesting cultural influences, so I can't wait to see what our region will shape out to be! Thanks to everyone who voted!

Results
Mexico - 3
Canada - 1
Peru - 1

And now, while I bother a mod to change the poll since I can't do it myself unfortunately
we move on to our next subject matter; What should our region's name be? The main series regions' names all seem to have some sort of root in a foreign language, so turn to a translator if you need some inspiration!

Submissions for our region's name open as of posting, and will close the following day at around the same time.​

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
If we want to go somewhat typical, Chantli is Nahuatl for "home". Similarly Mllpa means "field" for a potentially more agricultural base.

Chantlixoc? Chantli means home, and Xoxoctic is the color green. It would be pronounced Shant-lee-shock

Shorter could be Chantixo Shan-tee-sho

I prefer the first myself. It's just fun to say and looks pretty wild.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
3bf3ae37da52abf2ffa3e7d35263778d--viva-mexico-salon.jpg

I was thinking Espivida

Espi comes from Espiritu, which means spirit. This refers to both the day of the dead and the Mexican spirit.

Vida is the actual word for life. This balances the spirit (dead) and is a sign that this is a lively region.

Just my 2 cents cx

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
despite enjoying the very traditional Aztlan, I don't like to take so directly from real-culture traditions and history, ya feel?

how about a language site to look through? :D also maybe before we choose a name we should choose a theme? it's easier to name based on a theme imo :> aaaand are we aiming for a focus on aztec, mayan, olmec or spanish influence? or some? or all? or a region split between?

also, the suffix "-can" means "place of"; if we find a nice theme or ideology we can use that! "tlalli" means "land", also usable... and we can combine words and smash them up and change the spellings and whatever, y'know~

i keep editing this post but please can we have chinampas they were SO important agriculturally and i love them

heres a cool article

Last edited:

BugTypeAficionado

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
Agh, sorry! A bit late on my part, but something was brought up that I hadn't initially considered!

also maybe before we choose a name we should choose a theme? it's easier to name based on a theme imo :> aaaand are we aiming for a focus on aztec, mayan, olmec or spanish influence? or some? or all? or a region split between?

I think it might be a good idea to establish a theme for our region before we name it. For example, Kalos has a theme of everlasting beauty, Hoenn has a theme of the balance between man and nature, Alola has a theme about tradition and change, just to name a few examples. Try and keep it short and sweet, and try and give ideas that are flexible and can be messed with in different ways. I'll keep all the submissions for region names in mind, and once we determine a theme, I'll reopen name submissions and then start the voting for that proper.

And for your second question, I'd say all of the above. I don't want to limit any of the cultural influences, so any of those are fine.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
My suggestion for a Mexico-based region would be Chibolba (From "Xibalba", the Mayan Underworld)

"THIS, WILL EVEN SCARE XIBALBA"

Sorry, I'm quoting Hun Batz here now. I like the name and concept, but it's a bit dark, no? Xibalba has skulls which impregnate people, headless zombies, giant bats, and death gods that play football. Too spooky for a fun Pokemon game.

I really like CountDVB's Atzlan, though!

Oh, right, a theme. I think having a cowboy theme would be pretty unique, sort of like an extension of that cowboy town in Alola.

Last edited:
Back