• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Glitch Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
How did you get the Pikablu? Is that doable on pokemon yellow? Also, is there a list of areas to go if you want certain pokemon using the mew glitch?

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2012
The mod told me to move my thread here instead, so here you go:

Okay, I haven't seen that anyone else has figured this out yet, and I only figured it out just this evening. Not a way to find MissingNo in Yellow in general, but a way to ALWAYS get a non-game-freezing MissingNo that also duplicates your items just like in Red/Blue.

EDIT: It's possible that this glitch works EXCEPT FOR if all the pokemon that level up during the trainer fight (ex. if only one levels up, then this single one) learn a move when leveling up. This just happened to me for the first time now and indeed MissingNo froze my game, for the first time since discovering this glitch. I'll edit this post further to include this if it turns out to be true.

I didn't want to put this in the glitch thread because that kind of seemed like discussing glitches instead of glitch tutorials... and I can't put it on the Pokemon Glitch Forums 'cause whenever I try to register it says "Access denied", so if someone could post this there that would be great. (A totally unrelated glitch/game oversight that's happening in my Yellow is that you can deposit your Coin Purse into your PC but it doesn't disappear from your backpack, and then say you deposit it five times in a row, you have to withdraw it five times for it to disappear from your PC again.)

Video proof of it working is on my youtube (captainporridgeable): youtu.be/kZMwvtjWDa4

Preparations:
- Have pokemon in your party that are extremely close to leveling up. (Having your party full of low level pokemon works best)
- Have Experience-All (EXP ALL) in your backpack. (Optional, but makes it easier)
- Have the item you want 130 of to be in the SIXTH slot in your backpack. (Every time I've done this, I've always gotten 129/130 of the item.)

1.) Do the Mew glitch... but fight someone else instead of that certain trainer at Cerulean. You need to fight a trainer who gives you MissingNo. There are plenty of trainers who give you MissingNo, tons are in Lavender's Tower, there's some on Cycling Road, there's some to the right of Vermillion and to the bottom of Lavender, etc. I'll put up a mini guide with a list of where some are later. The trainer has to be at least one space away from you, so he walks up to you. If you talk to him directly or walk in front of him with no room for him to walk towards you, the game will glitch and freeze.

2.) At least one of your pokemon NEEDS to level up during the fight with the TRAINER. You can fight wild pokemon, but it doesn't work if your pokemon level up during a wild pokemon fight and not during the trainer fight. They have to level up during a trainer battle. You can fight as many wild pokemon as you want on the way to/from the trainer, that doesn't matter. (Have a single strong pokemon first in line, kill all the trainer's pokemon with that one pokemon, let EXP ALL do the work. That's how I do it.)

3.) Before the trainer battle your menu would not open. Now it will. Fly to Lavender Town and walk to the left, outside of town. Your menu will pop up. Cancel the menu, and a wild pokemon will appear. If a random pokemon appears, you didn't fight a trainer that gives you MissingNo. Trainers will give the same pokemon every time.

If the music stops playing and the screen goes black abnormally long, you've found MissingNo! You can switch pokemon to fight it, but don't view their stats as there's a chance that will freeze the game (when I tried, the screen went white for a long time and then went back to normal). As soon as the battle occurs, you can check your items and see that you have 9 of the item in the sixth slot - after the battle, it'll be clear that this is really (image)9. Deposit 30 of the item in your PC and you'll have 99 or so left in your backpack - IF YOU GAIN ONE OF THE SAME ITEM WHILE THE IMAGE GLITCH IS THERE (picking it up from the ground, etc), YOU WILL HAVE ONLY 99 and not 130. You can save and the image glitch will still be there when you next turn on the game.

4.) Your screen will probably look glitchy after the battle. Walk to the right until you enter Lavender Town again. If that doesn't completely fix it, FLY to Lavender town and all should be well.

MissingNo is usually hard to catch, it keeps dodging your pokeballs. I've caught one but I've wasted over 20 great balls on a single MissingNo and it wasn't caught, so I guess it's up to luck. (I've caught MissingNo prefectly fine every time with master balls though)

Years
How to get all 3 starters [Crystal]:
This is one of my personal favorite glitches. It's incredibly simple to do, and doesn't take much time at all.
Spoiler:

Just wanted to note that this also works in Gold and Silver.

Years
So i tried Old Man glitch, and in first time it worked, i had 9 master balls. After that, i tried that again. I started to surf. Then freaking Snorlax appeared when i was surfing! :--D It was lvl20, and i tried to beat him wit my lvl55 Blastoise, but blastoise fainted after one tackle..

Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2012
AhHA! Found the glitch discussion area! Sorry, Sydian, didn't realize...
In about 2003 or so I read about the Missingno glitch, and to my shortcut seeking gameplay method seemed the perfect way to level up those pokemon that I really didn't want to take the time to train. So it was rare candies ahoy! I never caught Missingno because I'd heard about the nasty things that can happen as a result.
However...About a week later, I fought the Elite Four. (This was my Blue Version game.) And that was how I discovered two things.
1. Any Dittos I had or now caught, couldn't Transform. I would choose Transform (of course) and all it would do was open a second attack list.
I'd choose Transform again, and it would...open a third attack list. It would keep doing that over and over, but I could get rid of each by pressing B.
2.Every time I battled Loreli's Cloyster, no matter what attack I used, it would get Burned and all it HP would drain in the first Burn damage, and it would faint.

Now as I said, I never caught Missingno. But I did use the Duplicate Item trick several times. Is there a way to fix this? I think there is something else glitchy with the game, but I haven't played it in so long, that I don't
remember.

Help, please!

(Again, sorry, Sydian.)

Years
The glitch in Gold and Silver (I am fairly sure it was fixed in Crystal) to get all three starters goes like this (if memory serves):

1. Save in front of Elm before getting your starter.
2. Pick your starter, doesn't matter who.
3. Get to the point to where you have Pokeballs.
4. Go catch a junk Pokemon and then give a Pokeball to your starter and box it, then switch boxes.
5. When it's saving and all the words (Saving, do not turn off the power) appear (ALL of them have to be there), turn off the game.
6. Turn it back on and you pick another starter. Rinse and repeat as many times as desired. It'll be easier if you give your starter that Pokeball the first time around.

You can still do this, I have all three. The only difference is you have to be pinpoint when turning off the game. It took me 5 hours to find the precise moment.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Have you tried the B&W glitch of the shelf behind the door? Go to the cafe and go in. At the entrance inside turn 1 right or left and 1down and press A. It should say: "It is a shelf of pokemon goods" or something like that.

Yeah but this is for Glitches for the Metal and Color gen games.

Sorry about that.

My friend introduced me to the clone glitch in Gold/Silver. I think you can do it in Red/Blue/Yellow too. It's the one where you deposit a Pokemon in a box, then change boxes, but then turn off the power in the middle of the saving process.

He would trade me a bunch of Lugia and I'd use them to beat the Elite Four.

It was the only glitch that I tried in the games.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
OMG I LOVED THE MISSINGNO GLITCH SO MUCH! Some of my first memories of the internet were spent trying to confirm the validity of what my friends from school were telling me about it. Good times. Although I didn't believe the Mew glitch was real until about Gen III for some reason... -_-

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2012
1. Any Dittos I had or now caught, couldn't Transform. I would choose Transform (of course) and all it would do was open a second attack list.
I'd choose Transform again, and it would...open a third attack list. It would keep doing that over and over, but I could get rid of each by pressing B.
2.Every time I battled Loreli's Cloyster, no matter what attack I used, it would get Burned and all it HP would drain in the first Burn damage, and it would faint.

Now as I said, I never caught Missingno. But I did use the Duplicate Item trick several times. Is there a way to fix this? I think there is something else glitchy with the game, but I haven't played it in so long, that I don't
remember.

Help, please!

This is because the transform attack uses the same hex data as a recoded attack used by a removed Kangaskhans ghost sprite. During the localization of Red/Blue, there were patches made to fix a few oversights, but either as a result or because it wasn't noticed, one of the flags would corrupt Dittos transform attack if certain criteria were met (such as getting MissingNo. through the old man glitch.)

What you essentially did by accident (presumably) was trigger a defunct battle flag much like using missingno. that causes the game to glitch out. Since the command string effects attacks, there are going to be issues with battling on that save file. The best thing you can do is start a new save since there's no way to fix it outside of reverse engineering your game data and going through individual strings.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
I made a specific thread yesterday about a glitch(?) that happened during my Pokemon Green LP. I'm posting here to ask if anybody knows of a glitch that would cause lv. 0 Pokemon to appear. Specifically, an Arcanine lv.0 appeared in Diglett's cave, and I'm not sure if this is caused by a glitch. (The opinions I got yesterday said it was a bad rom, but I'm not entirely convinced.)

A link to the video showcasing Diglett's Cave. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K0V_-8LA50

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well, I haven't heard any other cases of things like that happening when people play a Green ROM, so that's why I figured it was bad. Nonetheless, I found your video interesting. Wish I had sound though, so I could hear you talking about it (I assume you were talking, because you had moments where you didn't do anything lol). But yeah, still a shame that happened. Too bad it's a solo run and you can't catch those Pokemon. :P

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
Well, I haven't heard any other cases of things like that happening when people play a Green ROM, so that's why I figured it was bad. Nonetheless, I found your video interesting. Wish I had sound though, so I could hear you talking about it (I assume you were talking, because you had moments where you didn't do anything lol). But yeah, still a shame that happened. Too bad it's a solo run and you can't catch those Pokemon. :P

Neither have I, and indeed... It would have been nice to have such strong monsters already. On a positive note, there was nothing amiss about the Rock Tunnel. Oh, and thanks for watching the video too!

Years
where was this thread when I needed it years ago?

oh well. I suppose I could say my 2 cents on the missingno glitch that back in the last days I played blue, i was able to use the glitch to train in cinnibar Island by going to Cerulean Cave, then flying to the island, then surfing. nice way to grind to high levels with a pokemon centre right next to you.

those were the days..... now where was I?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
where was this thread when I needed it years ago?

oh well. I suppose I could say my 2 cents on the missingno glitch that back in the last days I played blue, i was able to use the glitch to train in cinnibar Island by going to Cerulean Cave, then flying to the island, then surfing. nice way to grind to high levels with a pokemon centre right next to you.

those were the days..... now where was I?

You were in Pokecommunity.

Anyway, did we test out all 256 105 possible MissingNO.? Can we just screw with memory values to get every combination?

EDIT: That was embarrasing. Two mistakes in one.

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
Years
I'm pretty sure every combination of Missingno. have been documented already, as each of them occupy empty slots. And well, you could enter GS codes to encounter the different types. ;) Refer to the "Big List" on GCL to see all the hex ID numbers for every Pokemon, including the other glitches as well as the trainers you can encounter.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
That list was the mother to my glitch team in Red. I've tamed all kinds of dangerous glitches! Pokemon Red is the only Pokemon game that I decided to raise a specific type: glitch. (Not really a type but you know what I mean.)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
I'm pretty sure every combination of Missingno. have been documented already, as each of them occupy empty slots. And well, you could enter GS codes to encounter the different types. ;) Refer to the "Big List" on GCL to see all the hex ID numbers for every Pokemon, including the other glitches as well as the trainers you can encounter.

Right, I forgot about that big list.

Hey, did anyone try to make a MissingNO. using the memory editor in an emulator to make it load a region that no programming hole loads (hole = area where MissingNO. appears rather than a Pokemon)?

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
Years
I've used the memory viewer to encounter different Pokemon. Though it's exactly like using the Mew glitch to find different Pokemon (meaning you'll run into a trainer if you type in the correct hex number.) If you want to use the memory viewer to encounter wild Pokemon edit the digit at address D05E in WRAM. Though address D05F determines the battle type, so don't mess with that flag if you want to catch the Pokemon. But if you wanted to see the Old Man catch what ever Pokemon you encounter, set D05F to 01. xD

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2012
I was watching some Pokemon R/B/Y glitch videos on Youtube and came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdof9rc3CyU

it looks like another way to walk through walls, but I'm not sure if it's real or not? If it is, then it should be mentioned on Bulbapedia lol
and it's way easier than doing the Safari zone/poisoned Pokemon trick @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back