• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

EV Training Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceremony

rah rah
Years
Hey, I'm new to the whole "EV training" deal and once when I think I got it, it confuses me again. For example, my Solosis. I wanted one with high EVs in Special Attack.(Nature=Quiet. Good Endurance.)

I fed it a lot of Calcium (10) and I went to check its stats in the Battle Subway. The guy said the best stat was defense, which was weird..

I then used the IV calculator, and for IVs I got

HP=19 A=14 D=28 SpA=14 SpD=14 Spd=14

Now I'm a little curious as to how the change that/why is Defense so much higher when its nature is Quiet and I fed it Calcium.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Hey, I'm new to the whole "EV training" deal and once when I think I got it, it confuses me again. For example, my Solosis. I wanted one with high EVs in Special Attack.(Nature=Quiet. Good Endurance.)

I fed it a lot of Calcium (10) and I went to check its stats in the Battle Subway. The guy said the best stat was defense, which was weird..

I then used the IV calculator, and for IVs I got

HP=19 A=14 D=28 SpA=14 SpD=14 Spd=14

Now I'm a little curious as to how the change that/why is Defense so much higher when its nature is Quiet and I fed it Calcium.

Because those are Iv's. u_u You can't view Ev's without an Action Replay, if you gave it 10 Calciums that's 100 Ev's. Now, go defeat 152 more Solosis for 252 Special attack Ev's, if you want more in-depth info, go read a guide.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Because those are Iv's. u_u You can't view Ev's without an Action Replay, if you gave it 10 Calciums that's 100 Ev's. Now, go defeat 152 more Solosis for 252 Special attack Ev's, if you want more in-depth info, go read a guide.

To expand on that, IVs are the values that your Pokemon has as soon as you encounter/breed them, and EVs are the values that you can change by killing certain Pokemon. Here's a good guide on what EVs are.

As for killing to get Special Attack, don't kill more Solosis, that's not a good idea. Go to the Celestial Tower and kill Litwicks and Elgyems next to the nurse. That way you can heal when you need to, and all you'll encounter will raise your Special Attack.

ceremony

rah rah
Years

u_u a little superior here I see. Who said anything about defeating Solosis? I'm training a Solosis. I know about defeating certain Pokemon for EVs, and where the best ones are, so I did read the guide. I just wanted to know what those numbers meant.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
u_u a little superior here I see. Who said anything about defeating Solosis? I'm training a Solosis. I know about defeating certain Pokemon for EVs, and where the best ones are, so I did read the guide. I just wanted to know what those numbers meant.

They're probably just a little frustrated because you didn't read the rules, since this is the wrong place to post something like this.

I explained what those numbers are, but here's a more in-depth explanation if you're curious. A lot of information that you don't need to know, but it also gives you the basics of IVs. The guy at the Battle Subway has nothing to do with EVs, he only rates your IVs. That's why getting the perfect Pokemon is two-fold. The first part is breeding for the closest to perfect IVs that you can get, and the second part is flawlessly EV training them.

ceremony

rah rah
Years
Thanks Toujours. I thought that since this was a "strategy" section, and breeding/training involves strategy, it was the right place to post. I'm too lazy to look for the subsections, and I actually still don't know where the "right" section is

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Thanks Toujours. I thought that since this was a "strategy" section, and breeding/training involves strategy, it was the right place to post. I'm too lazy to look for the subsections, and I actually still don't know where the "right" section is

It's the right section, it's just that there's a sticky thread that questions about breeding and EV training and movesets are supposed to go rather than making a thread about it. The main forum is for discussion threads and RMTs and battle logs and things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back