• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon GlitterGold (Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
And...cue the third post in a row!

Update/Screens?!
Okay, well, I've updated up to Ecruteak so far, the latest thing I did being fixing the Kimono Girls event, which confounded me for a while. I've also revised the first-person views and the location display events since I felt they took a bit too long to carry out. I've also finished the basics for the Ruins of Alph (the rest will come as I keep going in my Crystal ROM to be able to Surf to the other three), and I took a few liberties with the chipset, but the sliding panels still have to be worked in, which I'll do once I'm done revising everything else. Here's some screens of the Ruins and the Route 36 gatehouse which now has people in it, as well as a slight change done to the Violet Gym. Then, you'll see a new girl on Route 35, whose purpose is to provide a bit of a shortcut to the Trick House behind her, and the last screen is of the inside (I'm going to map the first few tricks once I'm done revising).
ruinsofalphvioletgymandtrickhouse.png

I'll probably be adding the jumping thing from Ecruteak's Dance Theater for the bottom of the Trick House inside.

EDIT: Dunno why it's a bit blurry, since I took these with the window shrunk using F5...

Years
Looking very nice, Lance. Nice to see the Trick Master make a return. How many puzzles is he going to have in GlitterGold?

It's also very nice to see that you are including the Unown events from Crystal. While not a huge feature, it was still a cool one, trying to figure out what the Unown spelled out. For the tilesets, though, why not use the ones from the Tanoby Ruins from FR/LG? They'll fit in much better than GSC tiles.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
Looking very nice, Lance. Nice to see the Trick Master make a return. How many puzzles is he going to have in GlitterGold?
Well, I'm planning the usual "one for each HM" thing, excluding Fly (it'd instead be a quiz-style puzzle, and I might use questions from Pokemon Stadium 2) and including a possible Dive one, and once you start going into the Kanto gyms, you'll unlock more puzzles. The way I'm planning to do it is adding a new puzzle that uses the HM the gym badge let you use in RBY, so for example, beating Misty nets you a new Cut puzzle. However, since it was originally five HMs split between the 8 badges, I might combine two HMs in one puzzle (which would again exclude Fly), and then add a few new things. Remains to be seen once I hit the Kanto region.
It's also very nice to see that you are including the Unown events from Crystal. While not a huge feature, it was still a cool one, trying to figure out what the Unown spelled out. For the tilesets, though, why not use the ones from the Tanoby Ruins from FR/LG? They'll fit in much better than GSC tiles.
Yep, I'm using Crystal as the base for the game, so most features from Crystal will be in, as well as stuff only in Gold and Silver. As for the tiles, well, the problem kinda lies in me not having the tiles from the Tanoby Ruins. I mean, if I had them, I'd try to work it in, but to make up for not having them, I did revamp the GSC tiles a bit so they'd match a bit with the 3rd gen graphics.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
Quick Update!
Well, I've just started revising the Olivine area, and the first thing I decided to do was revise the lighthouse tiles. Since, y'know, I apparently forgot to resize the tiles I borrowed from GSC to RM2K/3 tile size (which is why it looked so ugly before). I also added more GSC revamped tiles, since the Gatehouse wouldn't work with that lookout part. Below's a shot of the redone lighthouse:

newolivinelighthouse.png

I might decide to use Kyledove's (or was it Fangking Omega's...) Lighthouse later on, but this'll be it for this demo.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
Third post in a row, huh...

Quick Update
Okay, so everything in Olivine has been revised. Same for the Battle Tower. What I'm thinking of doing is maybe just have the Battle Tower available until you get the National Dex after beating the Elite 4, and then when you do, the teleport in the Gatehouse will take you to a Battle Frontier map that I'll be working on once I finish an Emerald Battle Frontier chipset (I think I started one a while ago, but I'll be finishing it up once I get the demo ready). Or I'll just have a ship ready to take you to the Battle Frontier leaving from the Goldenrod Pier, and the Battle Tower there will be different from the one on Route 40. Eh, I'll decide that when I finish revising things.

So yeah, next is Routes 40-41 and Cianwood. Also, I told Pingu this, but the plan is to have this demo out before I go back to school in late August, and he should have the CBS finished by then, so I can start implementing it and everything. I'll be in touch with him to make sure we both meet this deadline.

EDIT: lol @ this being my 1,000th post.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Because your posting content and there is delay between each post (rather then being on the same day or something) a triple posting can be overlooked.
But because I'm being a nice guy with the overlooking scenario, I'm going to add a bit of a rough egde to my post. Please take what I say into consideration if you want this game to improve (and remember, I'm not insulting you, just your development skills (kidding), just casting my eye at this games problems).

Here we go.

It's a shame no users support this game but I feel it's because this game is kinda stuck in a time warp.
Rm2k3 has little support around here (something my game also suffers from) but it could also be that this game looks like it was developed late 2005-early 2006.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are just around the corner (2 months away from a japanese release date) but this game does not seem like it wants to keep up with it. Let alone even keep up with the D/P/Pt games.

The graphics are resources from late 2005 (and that era of developing here at PC)- there is no visual flare to anything. We argue that the starter kit didn't help games, but it did wonders for allowing users more time to develop nice visual assets and we all moved with the times. This game didn't move along with it (or you for that matter) thanks to it's long development break.

The map work is doesn't seem to be well done. You could argue "Neo, this is a remake- duh" but I bet when you see heart gold and soul sliver the maps will be redone. The last screenshot is a good example of a area that just doesn't work now. That area could of been re-done (less water for example) while still keeping in theme with the city.

The core to any Pokemon game (well, the standard RPG editions) is the battle system, which seems to be dead here, and I reckon even if it wasn't- would it look like something out of FR/LG.

My advice if you wish to get more support in the game is to add a bit of your own personality into it.
Feel free to bring some of your own culture to this game.
If you can't sprite tiles- use one of the tilesets up for use by some of the great spriters. Be smart about where you place tiles on the map.
Add features to the game that make it a game you would like to play.

Look at other fan games and try be inspired. Look at mine (to show what I have done in Rm2k3), look at Wichus, Waudbys, OmegaGroudons, FMPs, PokemonIOs, Luka S.J... the list goes on. We have so many great developers here.
Look at what you like in these games and see what your peers are doing.

I have so much support for this game because it is like the second last Rm2k3 game here lol. I really do think thats why it is, I'm a fan boy of Rm2k3 and your another user.
I want you to do well kid.
So have a bit of a think.
Put some development into the game (as in pre-plan, concept, code, add eye candy) then bring this game back with a bang.

Good luck GLL99.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
Thanks for the criticism, ND. I would've gotten to it before, but it was around 3 AM and I didn't want to post without formulating good thoughts. XD

Because your posting content and there is delay between each post (rather then being on the same day or something) a triple posting can be overlooked.
But because I'm being a nice guy with the overlooking scenario, I'm going to add a bit of a rough egde to my post. Please take what I say into consideration if you want this game to improve (and remember, I'm not insulting you, just your development skills (kidding), just casting my eye at this games problems).

Here we go.

It's a shame no users support this game but I feel it's because this game is kinda stuck in a time warp.
Rm2k3 has little support around here (something my game also suffers from) but it could also be that this game looks like it was developed late 2005-early 2006.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are just around the corner (2 months away from a japanese release date) but this game does not seem like it wants to keep up with it. Let alone even keep up with the D/P/Pt games.

The graphics are resources from late 2005 (and that era of developing here at PC)- there is no visual flare to anything. We argue that the starter kit didn't help games, but it did wonders for allowing users more time to develop nice visual assets and we all moved with the times. This game didn't move along with it (or you for that matter) thanks to it's long development break.
Well, part of that is really more of me not having played D/P/Pt, so I wouldn't know about many improvements that are exclusive to them. I also realize the little problem with HG/SS coming up, but I've also got some side-stuff with Yu-Gi-Oh! going on, so I'd only really get a few days out of the week to work on the game, and once college starts up again, I'll have slightly less time with classes and campus life. I try my best to get as much work done as possible, including setting a destination, an area to stop at, when I've got time to revise the game.

The map work is doesn't seem to be well done. You could argue "Neo, this is a remake- duh" but I bet when you see heart gold and soul sliver the maps will be redone. The last screenshot is a good example of a area that just doesn't work now. That area could of been re-done (less water for example) while still keeping in theme with the city.
That's true. I'll probably get around to adding a few personal touches once I'm done revising the game, I just want to have that revision done so I don't have to worry about correcting any glitches or message issues. I'm not sure about adding DPPt tiles, though, partly because, aside from the PokeCenter, PokeMart, and Gym designs, I'm not really a fan of them. I've seen these graphics thanks to hacks like Liquid Crystal and ShinyGold, and the trees and grass never really attracted me. It's something about them...but eventually, I'll look over the Sinnoh tilesets I downloaded from here and see if there's anything I want to use.

The core to any Pokemon game (well, the standard RPG editions) is the battle system, which seems to be dead here, and I reckon even if it wasn't- would it look like something out of FR/LG.
Technically, something that was never really in it can't be dead. XD (Though, I admit, I could've tried working on making Krazy_Meerkat's CBS part of it all, and I did at one point, but once Shadow_Pingu joined in to help with the CBS, I left that to him while I got everything else done.)

Like I said in the update, I talked to Pingu the other day, and we agreed on trying to have our respective ends done before late August; I'd have the revised demo ready, and he'd have the CBS ready so I'd be able to start implementing it into the revised game. I don't know if he's trying to make it something like RSEFRLG or DPPt, though. I'll ask him about it.

My advice if you wish to get more support in the game is to add a bit of your own personality into it.
Feel free to bring some of your own culture to this game.
If you can't sprite tiles- use one of the tilesets up for use by some of the great spriters. Be smart about where you place tiles on the map.
Add features to the game that make it a game you would like to play.
You've got a good point here. Like I said earlier, I wanted to have the revised demo out and ready to get any glitches and mistakes fixed before working on adding custom stuff/stuff done by other people (since I'm really no good at spriting XD; ). I'm definitely thinking about adding Kyledove's Lighthouse to Olivine, and possibly some stuff from the Tileset Fangking Omega built up for RMXP (assuming I'd just need to resize it by 50% to add it to an RM2K/3 chipset).

Look at other fan games and try be inspired. Look at mine (to show what I have done in Rm2k3), look at Wichus, Waudbys, OmegaGroudons, FMPs, PokemonIOs, Luka S.J... the list goes on. We have so many great developers here.
Look at what you like in these games and see what your peers are doing.
Hmm...I've seen some of their games, and I'm impressed with what I see. They're doing some great work, especially Wichu, OmegaGroudon, and yourself. I dunno...unless I try to work stuff around to get more time to practice with RM2K3, I probably wouldn't be able to do such great things. That, or read more tutorials, but even then, the Tutorial section as of late has more RMXP scripting stuff and less RM2K3 stuff. I do want to try and add some minigames eventually, as well as some side-quests and stuff, but I want to hold off on these until the revisions are done. I've been accumulating the tutorials I've found and I'll be trying to add the things I've found are interesting and would add to the game.

I have so much support for this game because it is like the second last Rm2k3 game here lol. I really do think thats why it is, I'm a fan boy of Rm2k3 and your another user.
I want you to do well kid.
So have a bit of a think.
Put some development into the game (as in pre-plan, concept, code, add eye candy) then bring this game back with a bang.

Good luck GLL99.
I really appreciate all your advice, man. I've probably exhausted this line through this post, but when the revisions are done, I'm going to go back and try to add some personal touches to everything. I'll also be thinking out the minigames and everything. I've got the Trick Master planned on Route 35, but I'll also need to start working more on the Game Corner games. I've got Blackjack in there, but I'll be trying to see if I can add some more. And I'll have some more stuff planned for Kanto and a new area I'll be planning out that'll be Johto's equivalent of the Sevii Islands, and yet they'll differ. We'll see where things go from here, I suppose.

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'm glad to see you took my post as it was intended (advice- and not slander).
The battle system is the hardest thing to code in Rm2k3. I spent around a year or so doing mine- all of which were refined versions of battle systems I done for my older games.
Speaking of my older games, why not use the battle system code I done for Silk2, or even copy and paste what you can from it. I'm sure it will help a bit.
As always, if you ever want advice and tips on how to code something- send me a PM.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
This reply should've been here yesterday, lol.

Really? Thanks, I'll look into it. I really appreciate all your help. And I've actually got something I'd like help on coding. XD *PM's*

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
Quick Update
Okay, barring any items within the Whirl Islands (which I'll be adding once I get Whirlpool in my Crystal ROM), Routes 40-41 and Cianwood, including the Suicune/Eusine event, are all revised. And replacing the Cianwood Photo Studio is that kid with the stickers from FRLG. Figured I may as well have 'im there. I'm thinking of making him more like that one guy in Mauville's PC that wants to hear interesting stories in RSE and less about bragging about stuff like eggs and the Hall of Fame. You'll still get stickers for the latter two, but you'll get more with interesting stories. Also, I might decide to add something west of Cianwood, but I'm not too sure what to add at the moment. Maybe what ends up being there in HG/SS'll gimme an idea.

Next up is Route 42, Mt. Mortar, and Mahogany.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Nice to see you're still working on this project. I think that the fact that you are making it using an 'obsolete' medium just makes the game better. And if you need help with mapping, you can contact me. (Though the mapping is the one thing that I don't like about RM2k3/VX)

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
Heh, thanks. Sure, I'll send you a PM if I need anything, but it probably won't be until this revised demo's out.

Well, I'm still working on the Mahogany area, so no major updates yet. Though, looking over my Red Gyarados sprite, I want to ask for one or two overworld spriters to help out with making sprites, since I have no skills whatsoever in that department (said Gyarados sprite looks horrible, to be honest, but it's in because it's all I've got). If you're interested, post an example of your work, and I'll consider you. I'm mainly looking for FRLG-style spriters, since the majority of my maps use a FRLG chipset, but I'll also take a look at RSE-style spriters. If someone has a specialty with Pokemon overworlds over Human overworlds, I'll look for one of each to cover all the bases.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
I'm, uh...not sure what you mean, but thanks. XD

Update/Influx of Screens!
Okay, after a big overhaul on most of the events in the Rocket Hideout, along with the usual revision on Route 43, Lake of Rage, and Mahogany Town, that whole area is now in the books! All that's left is to revise a few of the Rocket Invasion events in Goldenrod, and then I'll be moving onto Route 44, Ice Path, and Blackthorn City.

Meanwhile, I've also slightly revised a few things in the mapping for the Hideout, so here's where the screens come in. Some might be stuff you've seen before, others new for the first time, so bear with me.

rockethideout1.png

First two of Lake of Rage, first one showing how I moved the Red Gyarados to a deeper part of the lake, mainly inspired by HG/SS having it in a deeper part (it also looks like they added more water, so to compensate for the already-set map design, I moved it in deeper). Screen #3 is Lance finding the stairs in the first floor of the Hideout, and Screen #4 is FRLG's first-person view of the Rocket Hideout I'll be using for it.

rockethideout2.png

Screen #1 shows an alarm being tripped, and you're confronting the second Rocket to come after you because of it. I also downloaded an alarm SFX to use with it. Screen #2 shows you at the switch that turns off the alarms, and since the computer monitor originally had nothing there, I added a reference to something I like (which I do throughout the game in some spots). Screen #3 shows Lance on the Hideout's B2F talking to you after he heals your party before he leaves to take on some Rockets. Screen #4 features one of the said Rockets, Lance telling you about the passwords thing he found out from him.

rockethideout3.png

First two show you getting the passwords from the respective Grunts, Screen #3 shows your run-in with your Rival before getting to the boss' room, and Screen #4 shows the boss freaking out after you'd have battled him before he runs to alert the others.

rockethideout4.png

Screen #1 shows the Pidgeot there giving you the password to the radio signal machine area, while Screen #2 shows the Rocket Admins intercepting you as you step into said machine area. Screen #3 shows Lance joining in on the fun, and Screen #4 shows the female Admin giving you her last words...for the moment.

rockethideout5.png

Screen 1 shows Lance concerned about the "young guy" he battled there, while Screen #2 shows him telling you you've no choice but to knock out all the Electrode to stop the machine. Screen #3 shows him thanking you, and Screen #4 shows his philosophical moment where he asks you if you're still continuing your journey.

As always, comments are welcome about these. I'll revise those events in Goldenrod about the Rocket Invasion and then work on the Route 44/Blackthorn area. I've also spoken to Blazers about getting a userbar made for the game, so when it's ready, it'll be posted. And I'm still looking for one or two overworld spriters, as my post above says. From it:

"If you're interested, post an example of your work, and I'll consider you. I'm mainly looking for FRLG-style spriters, since the majority of my maps use a FRLG chipset, but I'll also take a look at RSE-style spriters. If someone has a specialty with Pokemon overworlds over Human overworlds, I'll look for one of each to cover all the bases."

Last edited:

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
Years
This game has more potential than any ROM or hack i have seen, and i can tell you are putting a lot of work into it, i would love to see it finished, oh, but i dont understand exactly how the demo works, do i need to download rpg maker 2003?

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
This game has more potential than any ROM or hack i have seen, and i can tell you are putting a lot of work into it, i would love to see it finished, oh, but i dont understand exactly how the demo works, do i need to download rpg maker 2003?
I don't think you have to, since you should be able to open the game through the .exe file in the .zip. If you can't, I'd download it, open the game up in it, and then go to test play to play it. (Also, just to make sure this is thrown out there, this isn't a hack, lol.)

Slight Update
Aside from the switches in the Goldenrod Basement Warehouse, everything with the Rocket Invasion of the Radio Tower, Route 44, and Ice Path is revised and set in stone. Not much was done to the Ice Path and Route 44, aside from fixing items and trainer events and the little scrolling problem most maps had by making the map bigger (the revised Routes and Cities up to this point have this fixed), and with Ice Path, I added a second layer of wall around the maps, as I've done with the other cave maps.

I'll be having Blackthorn's events finished by Friday/the weekend, depending on whether I go away this weekend or not, and Routes 45/46 and Dark Cave (which I don't think I've revised yet) will be next.

Add the overworld spriter search, and that wraps this update up.

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
Years
believe me i know the difference, i said it was better than a hack, didnt i :)

no i tried the exe file, didnt work

Edit: it says it cant be opened, quite simply, no reason why or anything

Last edited:

Lyu

Back in action
Years
Hey!
So, you're going to restart pokemon glittergold?
I played Take 1 and it was pure fun, so.. good luck on take 2!

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
Years
ok, i got it up on rm2k3 and it will play now!

the graphics are even better when yourr playing, i love it already, 1 minute in :)

Edit: quick question tho, umm, how exactly do i open the menu, says z but that dont work

Last edited:

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
Hey!
So, you're going to restart pokemon glittergold?
I played Take 1 and it was pure fun, so.. good luck on take 2!
Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to keep this train rolling. XD
ok, i got it up on rm2k3 and it will play now!

the graphics are even better when yourr playing, i love it already, 1 minute in :)

Edit: quick question tho, umm, how exactly do i open the menu, says z but that dont work
It works with Z for me, but either Z or Enter should work. And thanks for the graphics should go to the people who made them. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back