• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "I choose you, ___________!"

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
Over the various games I chose all three Sinnoh starters, but my first was Turtwig.

I chose Cyndaquil in Heart Gold.

I don't really choose them in preference of type - I like picking different starters each time I replay so I can build different teams around them.

IsaacTwentySeven

Shiny Electivire
Years
In Pearl, I chose Turtwig. Later bred it, and now use a lv. 100 shiny Torterra.
In SS, which I play most now, I chose Totodile. Used it until it was lv. 46, then locked it away in a box.

Last edited:

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 28, 2016
I chose Chimchar first in Diamond and got Piplup in Platinum. Never owned Pearl.

When HeartGold and SoulSilver came around, I picked Chikorita for the former and Cyndaquil for the latter.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Chimchar because he looks cute and i absolutely love Infernape's design. Plus i love the Fire/Fighting combo and i didn't mind them using itr twice (Yes, Tepig was too much...).
Totodile because he is such a hilarious and hyper-active pokemon, plus i love how he is inspired by a crocodile/alligator.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
For Platinum I chose Chimchar and for Soulsilver I chose Cyndaquil.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
in my first ever game which was pearl i chose turtwig because my other two friends chose piplup and chimchar and i wanted to be different than them and also turtwig was adorable. also torterra is one of my favorite pokemon. i chose piplup in platinum because i wanted to try something different. in heartgold i chose chikorita because it was very cute and again i wanted to be different. also i already chose cyndaquil in crystal :D

Years
Sinnoh: Chimchar definetely. I must have a fire type pokémon in my team.
Jotho: Totodile. Cause I always catch a Growlithe ^^.
That kinda happens always when I play gen II games.

Although my best gen II game (crystal) was with Cyndaquil as starter.

Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2013
Totodile for life! i use him in my heart gold game, so, I choose you Totodile!

Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2014
Cyndaquill in HG/SS and Turtwig in Platinum :) But next time I play Platinum I'll choose chimchar. Torterra wasn't bad, but I wanna to make a full IV Gen team and it lacks fire-types pokémon :s

Lugia's Shadow

Guardian of the Sea
Years
I chose Chimchar in Diamond (my friend told me to, I was young and didn't understand much about Pokemon, and I thought Chimchar was adorable :3), and then in Platinum I went with Turtwig (back then I followed along with Marilland - I basically made my team EXACTLY like his :/)..then I tried SoulSilver and used Totodile. After that, I replayed Platinum and used Piplup.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Always Piplup. He makes the game much easier for later Gyms.

HeartGold/SoulSilver
Always Cyndaquil. He makes Steel Pokémon look like chumps. Especially late game.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
OMG who wouldn't like a monkey as a friend? a monkey who plays with fire too!
Meganium is my most favourite pokemon, naturally I'll choose it.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
Years
Haha, yeh I'm definitely going with either Piplup or (preferably) Totodile to suit a mono-Water themed team. :3 Water-type starters appeal to me a whole more than the others purely because each one so far is distinct and interesting! (though not saying that the other starters are diverse):)

Back