• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RBY-Style Pokedex and Trainers

Years
Welcome to the Tokou Region!

I know everyone is excited about the release of X and Y, but maybe a handful of you will also anticipate this project to be complete. At which juncture, I may decide to either make a game, or give the rights to these sprites to a qualified team that wants to revamp their retro hack with some new mons and trainers. I am planning on making around 100 new pokemon, like GSC. Additionally, I will be working on new evolutions, including up to gen V to serve the roll like Roserade and Budew played when D/P created a new line from out of the orginal line introduced in RSE. Those will be the only official pokemon in this games ones in which I am adding new members. These revamped families should equate to around 30-40 Pokemon, including the one's that already exist. So, in total, expect aroun 120-140 pokemon for this dex.

Again, please don't use these!!! Thanks :)
region_pokedex_rby_style_by_fenne_king-d6hfdaf.png

Template: zerudez from DA

I love the palettes and style of the first generation of games. I decided to go with Yellow's palette so the trainers would be a bit more vibrant than R/B palettes. It was odd trying to sprite using high contrast mustard and ketchup color, but I loved the challenge. These represent the gym leaders.
(Also, I am thinking of doing a Cynthia cameo, hint hint!!)

Mainly, I would love some ideas for new pokemon from you guys, I am not sure what to do with my starters. Many of the sprites I have completed were meant to be starter lines, but I didn't feel like they quite hit the mark.

Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy :)​

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
A Ghost/Steel typed armor ghost. Not Honedge, that's just a sword. Like, a fully blown suit of armor.

Years
A Ghost/Steel typed armor ghost. Not Honedge, that's just a sword. Like, a fully blown suit of armor.
Ooh, that is giving me a headless horseman idea. Maybe a horse pokemon with battle armor over it's dark body. It will look like it has a head with the metal armor, but it will be headless at second glance. I am excited to do this one. Thanks! I hope you like the idea.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Ooh, that is giving me a headless horseman idea. Maybe a horse pokemon with battle armor over it's dark body. It will look like it has a head with the metal armor, but it will be headless at second glance. I am excited to do this one. Thanks! I hope you like the idea.

How about Knightmare? Like Knight as in the armour of knights and Mare as in female horse? And Dark type because the theme is Nightmare.

Years
This looks quite interesting. If this is a game, I'm definitely gonna download the ROM. But, if I could, may I suggest something a little bit like Snivy, yet having a LOT of claws? I think that might be pretty cool, hmm?

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
Congratulation to you for having one of the better sprite threads on here. Is whatever game this is meant to be in suppose to have double battles in it? Or ... ?

Years
Congratulation to you for having one of the better sprite threads on here. Is whatever game this is meant to be in suppose to have double battles in it? Or ... ?

Thanks!

If I ever get around to a game, I am thinking that more than one gym leaders in a gym would be treated like Cress, Chili, and Cilan in the anime. As, they all fought separately. OR, like team rocket and the twins from the RBY games, in which the two trainers are in the same battle sprite and use one pokemon at a time, but I am not too fond of this option.

If not, I will allow someone else to use the images and build a story-line of their own. This will likely be the case given I probably don't have time or the experience to put together a game.

Anyway, next week I should have names and description along with the first evo starters.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
That's an interesting mechanic. Can't wait to see what you have next.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Hey, how much amount of modernisation are you going to put for this (potential) fangame? For example, will you try animating the sprites like in Crystal? Or like in Emerald, DPPT and HGSS? Or, the ultimate BW/B2W2 style? Or maybe no animations at all?
Another example being, how will the backsprites be like? Small like in RBY, large upper sections like in the later games, or full bodied like BW/B2W2?

I'm curious as to that.

And I love the way you've slung off on the RBY style. The retro aspects have to be capitalised, and you've just done the best thing. Seeing the clever ways you manipulated a two-colour limitation, I have to say your style works well enough to be retro. And they're still not off-quality either.

Years
Starters are up!

I finalized them as, Sprigosaur, Spawnkey, and Shellop.
Their evolutions will be grass/fighting, fire/dark, water/psychic.

Sprigosaur is roughly based off ankylosaurs. They have stoic and honorable personalities.

Spawnkey is based off tamarin monkeys and imps. They have mischievous and deceptive personalities.

Shellop is based off sea hares with a literal twist. They have calming and gentle personalities.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
This is a cool project. I think you're doing a fairly good job of keeping a consistent style, but some of the sprites look out of place from the others. For example, I think the yellow bird line, the moose fairy, and the ice dog thing don't really match the rest.

The trainers all look great to me, though! (especially the pirate)

Back