• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Is Ultra Sun/Moon Dead?

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
I haven't played the game, so I wouldn't know anything, but I have been following many YouTubers, and all of them don't seem to be as active as they were when SM released. It has been almost 6 months since release, and most people seem to be moving on. Is it just me, or is the game something that can be easily missed? I am planning on getting this game this summer, so I am worried about the conditions of the game. Again, I haven't played the game, and I really wouldn't know much about it. I haven't watched many videos either, just looked at the Youtube activity. So, if I am wrong, please tell me. Also, can you please keep replies as spoiler free as possible? Thanks in advance...

Years
I know that some YouTubers have been slow with uploading LPs of this game. One I can think of in particular is MunchingOrange, where he still hasn't finished the main story. I guess maybe some got let down by the fact it felt too similar to S/M or was made exactly like S/M aside from minor plot changes at the end and new characters.

Last edited:
Years
It's not dead I assure you. I did trade in my copy though because I've become dissatisfied with the games since XY. But even ORAS right now has people playing, or at least reasonable enough to find things in wonder trade.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Ultra Sun/Moon is doing fine. It's sort of like a new game plus with upgrades, new features, and more Pokemon. The trailers should give you a nice overview of the game.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
No, it's just people are too salty about it, I've had Pokémon UltraMoon since release and I still haven't done Lana's trial.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
No, it's just people are too salty about it, I've had Pokémon UltraMoon since release and I still haven't done Lana's trial.

That's the Pokemon cycle. When a new generation releases, people flock to it and keep praising it, and then a few weeks or a month after the hate starts to fester in, and now you start seeing hate for the new generation. When another generation releases people will flock to it, and then hate that one in the same vein, but this time around they'll start praising the previous generation for what it did right and how the current generation undid it. So hang in there, SM/USUM will start getting its praise soon enough, much like BW/B2W2 during early Gen VI.

But anyway, USUM isn't dead, because I'm managing to get in a lot of battles/WTs with friends and passerbys. The games still have a large online presence, and funnily enough despite us being wholly into the current generation, Gen VI online is still as active as ever, which is somewhat surprising considering this fact.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
Games don't die within half a year.

Well, Destiny 2 did anyway, lol :laugh-squinted:

Anyway, why don't people cover it as much anymore? This game looks a lot better than Sun and Moon, but why isn't there any recognition for it anymore? This is one of the few forums where the game is discussed, and that is because its dedicated to Pkmn only. Though I'm getting the game, the sales show that the game soled ~1.2 M games by November 22nd, 2017, but has that number increased? SM sold (I'm pretty sure this is the number) 17 million until USUM launched, and most of those sales would be in the early months and the summer. Looking at XY's sales compared to ORASs, Oras sold approx. 9.9 Mil games my May 2015, whereas XY sold 11.6 Mil copies by Jan 2014. So we can hypothesize from this that the first games of each generation sell better. However, I can't really confirm this because Platinum sold more than DP, and this can be seen in the other games as well. I think some people won't buy the second game in the generation because they are fine enough playing the first game, but what I found surprising was the fact that BW sold 7 million more copies than BW 2, even though it's not a remake, but a sequel.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
With the news of Gen 8 on switch and the legit release of Zeraora, the last wave of events will happen in US/UM through the summer and into Fall. We still don't know what kind of connection or intergeneration transferring system will happen, so it will stay alive for a while. There is also rumor for the Pokemon theme park being added to Universal in the U.S., so we do not know what kind of generation specific events are going to happen in keeping the demand in Pokemon strong.

Years
I personally don't think the games are dead whatsoever. I love USUM, moreso than the original Sun and Moon games. They're very similar to how Platinum was to DP and Emerald was to RS. It's an upgraded game, more like the final finished product. They fixed a lot of the issues a lot of people were having in SM, whilst adding a bunch of new stuff. New Pokemon not present in the previous gen, adding new Pokemon entirely for this story, plus there's a lot more to do post-game in this than there was in the original SM. A lot of YouTubers are complaining about USUM or how Pokemon is dead, but I beg to differ in SO many ways.

Most of the YouTubers i've seen that are dissing on USUM have a heavy case of nostalgitis. The games are too different to the previous generations and so therefore a lot of them don't like it. On top of that, a lot of people find the constant cut-scenes and interruption is SM and USUM as a whole irritating and annoying, forgetting that Pokemon is primarily a series designed for kids. I'm 23 years old and happily playing through my 5th alolan adventure (3x in SM, 2x in USUM now) and I couldn't be happier.

Plus, with YouTube changing their algorithms and favouring Vloggers like Logan Paul and Jake Paul, PokeTubers are starting to upload less and move more to Twitch. JWittz and ShadyPenguinn are prime examples. They earn way less money on YouTube than other platforms.

IMO, play the game and judge it for yourself.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
For me personally, even if I only just go on it for a minute, there is ALWAYS someone from another country who will battle me. Like I just have to idle in Festival Plaza for a minute and people want to trade and fight. Anything I put on the GTS is traded usually in minutes, you can complete a Pok?dex that way in a week, so no in-game areas are seeming dead for me. It's even fun for me just trying to complete the other languages in my Pok?dex.
It's more alive than any other 3DS game I can think of, and I feel like a lot of people will play it for a long time as long as the support for the servers lasts.

Personally, I feel like people now pay too much attention to hearsay and Youtubers when it comes to games. Just play things and decide what you like for yourself, because I feel a lot of bad communication is created by people externalising their own feelings onto communities. Like just because a bunch of people fishing for hits are saying something inflammatory on videos and stuff, or some grumpy kid who didn't like the most recent game because it didn't get him off, doesn't mean it has any clout. It's a fun game and it has lots of great and simple ways to play online quickly. I can't see it being 'dead' for a long time, even once a new game is released.

Back