• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
Spoiler:

There's meant to be another ledge near the mountian, so liek Route 1 in R/B/G/Y and FR/LG, you can hop back to town while going through hardly any grass

Alrighty. The mountain. About 5 steps to the right of the most south stairset, you can cut that in half. It's symmetrical. It's probably nothing bad, It's just something that seems odd to me. The walkways going up the route is only two steps wide. 3-5 is usually the right amount. Again, that's just me. You're mapping style is more than likely different than mine. The route is heavily crowded with the big two tile wide trees. There's ONE small tree. Try changing that up slightly. There's also no flower or other form of vegetation other than grass. That just seems a little boring to me. However, I do like the outline of the route and the mountain shape.

Rating: 6/10

My Map:

Name: Naturalist
ROM Base: Fire Red.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: This map isn't supposed to be playable. It's just something to look at. I wanted to see if I was any good at natural mapping. Personally, I think I did a good job, however, I could be way off. Feel free to tell me what to improve on / suggestions.

Credits:
Gamefreak.
Homework for boring me to the point that I ended up mapping.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Its a little too lineair/cramped.the trees could use some work pallet wise and theres 4 tile errors that i can spot.below the bottom 2 sets of stairs.the 3rd north most rock and the most northen part of the hill just below the first tree..

But You get 5 points for trying. so that makes..... 57/100....
6/10 in total
==============================
Map name: ??????????
Map Game: Pokemon Evanesce
Comments: Tiles by wesleyFG,full metal and nintendo. inserted by me.
Its supposted to be cluttered and blocky.
Spoiler:
I like this map very much. When I first saw it I was like "wtf n00b mapping", and I realized it was made that way. Very cool to see some innovation in maps, there's not really any nowadays. I'm not going to give it a __ out of 10 or whatever, because it's so unconventional.

---

My turn. My first map in ages, I would like to get some rates.

Map Name:
Cliffside City

Credits: Kyledove, Alistair, CNC, and myself.

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Map Name: Pinewood Town
Map Game: Ruby
Comments: A little map I made. ^_^ It's the hometown, and yeah... Just want your guys opinions on the map. Maybe it's for a hack, maybe not. Who knows... Also who cares if I used cross generation-tiles x-x It's my map, yeesh.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:
First off, this might just be me, but I think it looks a bit too straight.
I don't like the way you made the GYM, either, it should be even on both sides (two windows), and there are too many flowers. the mountain is too straight too, and maybe you should add another layer to the 2nd mountain, the one layer doesn't look too good, to me. other than that, it's a pretty decent map, but needs some work.
-------------------------
Here's my map, my first saffron-type map. :3
Spoiler:

Esp1222

Psychic Lover
Years
Rated Map:
Here's my map, my first saffron-type map. :3
Spoiler:

Rating: 7/10

Reason: It's a good map, but a city would have more of a straight pattern in houses.

Suggestions: Make the houses straighter/in a row.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Map Name: Leport City

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: I tried to make the water as natural as possible. Also, I have forgotten who made the base, and I've deleted the patch for the base. If anyone knows who made it, please tell me.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
Rated Map:

Reason: It's a good map, but a city would have more of a straight pattern in houses.

Suggestions: Make the houses straighter/in a row.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Map Name: Leport City

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: I tried to make the water as natural as possible. Also, I have forgotten who made the base, and I've deleted the patch for the base. If anyone knows who made it, please tell me.

Mapshot:
Spoiler:
Review: Well... I can easily tell it's an edit of Viridian City, because of the mountains west. And I dunno why, but the water doesn't look like it's naturally there. It seems like someone built the water there, =\. And there's a tree that's randomly there.. You should fix that. And I dunno.. It easily looks like a Viridian City edit.. Maybe start everything from scratch? Oh and the ROM Base is Darkerm's.
Suggestions: Start from scratch so it looks like a totally new map. Do that and it may look more natural and different.

Map Game: FireRed
Comments: It could be for a hack.. But anyways the starter town. And yes, a script will prevent you from going to the gym. Tried to make the mountains less straight... But yeah... I will edit it more if needed. And it's my map, so if I want cross-generation tiles I'll do that. :> But enough of my comments, let's get to this map.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I like this map very much. When I first saw it I was like "wtf n00b mapping", and I realized it was made that way. Very cool to see some innovation in maps, there's not really any nowadays. I'm not going to give it a __ out of 10 or whatever, because it's so unconventional.

---

My turn. My first map in ages, I would like to get some rates.

Map Name:
Cliffside City

Credits: Kyledove, Alistair, CNC, and myself.

Mapshot:

Spoiler:
Yeah, just re posting because basically nobody saw it last time.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
Yeah, just re posting because basically nobody saw it last time.
The map look awesome..i love the way it is shown.
A simple city nature design,love almost everything about it except that,if only its me,they gym seems out of place,like it does not fit with the rest

Anyway heres mine
Name:Bliss Canyon

Map Game:Fire Red

Comments:Its the Canyon rite after the first route,weird huh,a canyon at the start,hahax,that just the way it is..Im gonna fix a few things here and there so that the player won't see the border errorr.

Spoiler:

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
My Map:

Name: Naturalist
ROM Base: Fire Red.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: This map isn't supposed to be playable. It's just something to look at. I wanted to see if I was any good at natural mapping. Personally, I think I did a good job, however, I could be way off. Feel free to tell me what to improve on / suggestions.

Credits:
Gamefreak.
Homework for boring me to the point that I ended up mapping.
Well, there's be a lot to review here, but it's a pleasure. First of all, the map has several tile errors, which I circled below, but it won't be too hard to fix.
Errors:
Spoiler:

The only major problem is the way you map mountains, there's the most tile errors in that area. Look at some gamefreak mountains. Also, on a different subject, you're gonna have border errors. It does feel natural, though. You've done a good job at that.
So personnally, I think this could be a pretty good map, if you fix a few things.
Suggestions: Fix the tile errors and border errors.

--------------------------------------
Now my map:
Name: Moon Village
Map game: Pokemon ShadowStone(Firered)
Comments: Starter town for my hack.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Bolens

Soul Hacker
Years
  • Age 30
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 22, 2016
Now my map:
Name: Moon Village
Map game: Pokemon ShadowStone(Firered)
Comments: Starter town for my hack.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Well, in terms of usefulness, this map will provide standard starter town commodities, most including water, and a few houses. Now with some errors or not correct looking tiles. The house that is jutting out from the rocks in the middle is put to far in, it at least needs to be a tile or 2 out farther. Also with the on lonely tree besides two cliffs, it's coloring is off a tad, it seems a little too dark. The grass behind the houses is also very different looking, doesn't flow smoothly, too much contrast. Other than a few errors and misplacements, a very good starter town, even though generic, still good.

8/10

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
Years

The map look awesome..i love the way it is shown.
A simple city nature design,love almost everything about it except that,if only its me,they gym seems out of place,like it does not fit with the rest

Anyway heres mine
Name:Bliss Canyon

Comments:Its the Canyon rite after the first route,weird huh,a canyon at the start,hahax,that just the way it is..Im gonna fix a few things here and there so that the player won't see the border errorr.

Spoiler:

First off, I'm going to have to call you on your tile errors within your mountain tiles. I know that it looks good and rocky when you have a corner right above a lower ledge, but please tile edit a block just for that purpose so you don't miss out on the ledge. On top of that, your stairs really ought to be at least two tiles wide, and try not to have a straight line right up a cliffside. It's usually best to have a little ledge in between each stair level.

One other thing that I find lacking is the actual playability of this map. I abhor the amount of one tile pathways on this map. You should always give the player at the very least two tiles to work with. Even then, try to give the player three or more, if you can. Also, your grass placement is lacking, to say the least. Going through this map, the player only has to walk through only nineteen grass tiles. The player should go through that many grass tiles in two to three grassy patches! As much as I applaud you for trying to make your grass realistic, it's just not aesthetically pleasing or playable.

Just a little nitpicking here, but try not to make the starting section so square and linear. Same thing goes for the indented obstacle sections you have. When compared to the nice curves of this map, it just looks bad. Also, you should give that poor house some windows. They were never meant to be as stout as many people seem to make them. I think you're using the wrong tiles for the bottom right elbow ledge. That black dot just seems so ugly.

I'll give you a sweet 5/10 for the effort. Oh, and to please the tl;dr people.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So here's my map.

Name: Clearwater Port
Map Game: Mythic Legends
Comments: Bit of a port city here, the boxes are cargo either being shipped in, shipped out or stored until further notice. Almost more something to look at than something to play. Ahaha.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Exon

Hacker in Training
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 18, 2010
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Firstly I must say I do applaud the amount of time that seems to have been spent on this map. That said there are a few things that strike me as odd. First, the elephant in the room - That being that this is supposed to be a port city. I'm pretty sure I know -why- the rocks are blocking the water off, yet where is a port supposed to be located? And where could a ship potentially navigate to said port? The 4-stacked boxes above the city mart seem a little high, maybe lower them by one? The Yellow tent on the beach (or the mountain tiles directly above) look like they need to be slightly edited to transition between each other better as well. Other than that, I must say that the map is great overall. Nice layout with a good amount of playability.

Overall Rating: 8/10

---------- ----------- -----------
Name: Marline Town (subject to change)
Rom: Fire Red
Comments: First and foremost I will say that cities (especially the small ones) are easily my biggest weakness when in comes to mapping. This is meant to be a starting town with a level script to handle both exiting before obtaining a starter pokemon as well as the lack of a lab. Even I can spot some oddities in this map, mainly being aesthetic items such as flowers. It also seems to me that the map doesn't really . . . "flow . . . if that makes sense to anyone. The latter is easily the problem that I cannot address.

Spoiler:

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
Years
Spoiler:

I like the layout of the map overall and think that each thing has been placed well, however, the small tree on the beach is quite random, either add more of them or get rid of it; also the house on the beach looks like it should be one tile lower down to match up with the mountain.

Hack Name: Hollow
Map Name: Greenwood Town
Base ROM: Emerald
Comments: filler filler filler

Spoiler:

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
Years
Name: Marline Town (subject to change)
Comments: First and foremost I will say that cities (especially the small ones) are easily my biggest weakness when in comes to mapping. This is meant to be a starting town with a level script to handle both exiting before obtaining a starter pokemon as well as the lack of a lab. Even I can spot some oddities in this map, mainly being aesthetic items such as flowers. It also seems to me that the map doesn't really . . . "flow . . . if that makes sense to anyone. The latter is easily the problem that I cannot address.

Spoiler:

First off, don't ever take a map like pallet town and edit it. It just looks lazy and uninspired. It's not even like you made it inconspicuous. The little fence part is exactly the same.

As much as this may be a quaint little town, one thing that shouts out at me is the huge amount of empty, gaping space that just lays idle. Though, it is definitely more playable than a town full of one tile paths, it still takes away from the playability of the map. Also, the lack of grass variety, the very short stuff, is a bit of an eyesore. Even when you do have some different patterns, it's usually either boxy, or part of a different tile.

You're right about the flowers, too. The way you have them set up here, it looks as if they are placed a little too randomly and without purpose. Your trees also have some shading errors, and your lowermost mountains are not suited for being on grass.

I commend you for having a 7x5 border, though. Ahaha.

Grade: D+/C-

Exon

Hacker in Training
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 18, 2010
Hack Name: Hollow
Map Name: Greenwood Town
Base ROM: Emerald
Comments: filler filler filler

Spoiler:

The overall flow of the town is good. Personally can't spot any tile errors. The only real "problem" I see is that the path never widens past two tiles at any time. Fairly low maneuverability. None the less a great looking, simplistic map.

8.5/10

------ ------ ------
I'd actually meant to replace the map I had previously posted with this one, but it had been rated no more than 10 minutes before I finished so I figured I'd just make a new post:

Name: Marline Town (Subject to change)
Comments: I figured out what is was about the previous map and tried to remedy it with version 2.0. The original map didn't really have it's own "identity". While I already have the entire region planned out, I think I still need to give each map it's own identity to separate it from whatever original cities use the same tilesets.
I'm hoping I've done so with this map. Seeing as the cave will actually play a fairly prominent role with this town, I wanted to incorporate the mountains more within the map. About the bottom-left small house, it's not meant to have been inhabited for quite some time, thus the path doesn't extend to it. The northern-most blue house will have small pokemon in the backyard, thus the lighter dirt instead of the slightly trodden grass. The third blue house that sits upon the mountain extension doesn't have windows because it's actually being used as a storage facility.

(And about the Sign/Fence combo, since it was commented on the last time. I actually start with a black map and work from the ground up. Without editing more tiles - which I don't want to do so early w/o knowing what I'll be using with other map - it's the best looking way to incorporate the town sign to me)

(PS- I'll be extending the width of the map by one so as to not run into any border errors.)
Spoiler:

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
The overall flow of the town is good. Personally can't spot any tile errors. The only real "problem" I see is that the path never widens past two tiles at any time. Fairly low maneuverability. None the less a great looking, simplistic map.

8.5/10

------ ------ ------
I'd actually meant to replace the map I had previously posted with this one, but it had been rated no more than 10 minutes before I finished so I figured I'd just make a new post:

Name: Marline Town (Subject to change)
Comments: I figured out what is was about the previous map and tried to remedy it with version 2.0. The original map didn't really have it's own "identity". While I already have the entire region planned out, I think I still need to give each map it's own identity to separate it from whatever original cities use the same tilesets.
I'm hoping I've done so with this map. Seeing as the cave will actually play a fairly prominent role with this town, I wanted to incorporate the mountains more within the map. About the bottom-left small house, it's not meant to have been inhabited for quite some time, thus the path doesn't extend to it. The northern-most blue house will have small pokemon in the backyard, thus the lighter dirt instead of the slightly trodden grass. The third blue house that sits upon the mountain extension doesn't have windows because it's actually being used as a storage facility.

(And about the Sign/Fence combo, since it was commented on the last time. I actually start with a black map and work from the ground up. Without editing more tiles - which I don't want to do so early w/o knowing what I'll be using with other map - it's the best looking way to incorporate the town sign to me)

(PS- I'll be extending the width of the map by one so as to not run into any border errors.)
Spoiler:
It looks great! Theres something that bugs me about the odd shaped path... Maybe try to keep it to a size, thats the same. 3 is a good number, in my opinion.

I'll give it a 7.5-8/10 :)

Now for my map :)

Name: Doesn't have one yet :(
ROM: Fire Red, with custom tiles (Project Orange).
Comments: One of the very first maps that I've been doing for my hack. I'm still considering adding a gym, that you would have to go back to, to beat it.

jg056p.jpg

Last edited:

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
Years

Now for my map :)

Name: Doesn't have one yet :(
ROM: Fire Red, with custom tiles (Project Orange).
Comments: One of the very first maps that I've been doing for my hack. I'm still considering adding a gym, that you would have to go back to, to beat it.

jg056p.jpg
Reason: The choice of 3 spaces as the path for this town is a little too big... May be 3 spaces would look great if it was in a city :) There's one big empty space. Maybe you can fill the space with trees or maybe ur choice: a gym. By the way, it also looks just a little bit square but not bad ^^
Suggestions:
Feel the empty spaces up and decrease the width of the light-paths by a space :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Name: Route 255
Comments: This rout
e is like a t-junction. The cave is the mainly the part where you get to choose your directions. And yes. Tree kinds differs according to the height of the mountain. I gave it a rainforest feeling for instance.
Spoiler:

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
Reason: The choice of 3 spaces as the path for this town is a little too big... May be 3 spaces would look great if it was in a city :) There's one big empty space. Maybe you can fill the space with trees or maybe ur choice: a gym. By the way, it also looks just a little bit square but not bad ^^
Suggestions:
Feel the empty spaces up and decrease the width of the light-paths by a space :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Map Name: Route 255
Comments: This rout
e is like a t-junction. The cave is the mainly the part where you get to choose your directions. And yes. Tree kinds differs according to the height of the mountain. I gave it a rainforest feeling for instance.
Spoiler:
Firstly,i love the tiles..lol..
anyway about the map,it looks ok to me,nice overall,but to me there are som3thing bothering me about it..the mountains could have abit natural looking but if you're going semi-natural,then its okae[lol,what with semi-natural?]
and the small trees is like woah too many but still in-game will not see like that..

overall:
6.5/10
------------------------------
Now is mine.
Map Name:Route 23?
Comments:This is one of the map i make for another hack here,i want your comments,
it havent really finish though for example the entrances bcause i have not think full yet what to put.

Spoiler:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years

Firstly,i love the tiles..lol..
anyway about the map,it looks ok to me,nice overall,but to me there are som3thing bothering me about it..the mountains could have abit natural looking but if you're going semi-natural,then its okae[lol,what with semi-natural?]
and the small trees is like woah too many but still in-game will not see like that..

overall:
6.5/10
------------------------------
Now is mine.
Map Name:Route 23?
Comments:This is one of the map i make for another hack here,i want your comments,
it havent really finish though for example the entrances bcause i have not think full yet what to put.

Spoiler:

Tile errors all over the mountains were they join up, and the fence has a tile error. Also, the flowers shouldn't just be randomly scattered, and some parts look really empty.

Map Name: Golden Mountain
Map Game: ...
Credits: Alistair, Jenzh, ~Chaos, if I forgot anyone please tell me!
Map:
Spoiler:

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years

Tile errors all over the mountains were they join up, and the fence has a tile error. Also, the flowers shouldn't just be randomly scattered, and some parts look really empty.

Map Name: Golden Mountain
Map Game: ...
Credits: Alistair, Jenzh, ~Chaos, if I forgot anyone please tell me!
Map:
Spoiler:
To start, it looks really natural, good job! Where do you enter the map from? That lake kinda thing? I love the water tiles, looks awesome! I think there are too many little rocks scattered around though.. Maybe remove a few?

_ _ _ _ _

My map: -

Map Game: Guess... :P (FireRed)
Credits: GameFreak?
Map:
1oofpx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back