• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I for one don't think it is in our best interest for our government to focus so much attention to third world countries. We should not be giving a single penny across seas when we already are in a multi-trillion dollar deficit. Although we had some issues with child hunger in the U.S., it is a manageable issue for us to deal with. Gay rights may not be as important as the economy right now, but is certainly the most important civil liberty issue. There is no reason why attention cannot be focused on both, especially since we are basically in a deadlock with any type of solution for the economy; might well focus some attention to LGBT rights. Also, marriage is an institution that is vital in the economy. Legalizing gay marriage would only improve the economy, although minimally.

Years
I don't think anyone's comparing people living in poverty with gay people. It's more of how some people out there are saying that gay people are just complaining about their first-world problems or, in other words, problems that aren't *really* problems. You know, not compared to third-world problems. Or some such line.

Of course, as much as I believe that all problems are essentially local problems, there are some local problems you see everywhere and that basically adds up to a global problem so I would hope people who care about queer struggles in their own countries would be sensitive to people who are struggling like they are in other countries.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
How do you feel about the LGBT equality battle being seen as a 'first-world problem' that won't matter as long as there are people living in third-world poverty?

I view the issue as one of individual liberty rather than collective "equality". I always try to avoid think of rights and liberties as belonging to groups instead of individuals.

That being said, the toughest nations to win over will be Islamic ones. They have very traditional, homophobic laws. Also, there really aren't any real avenues of to enact change. Most legislatures that do exist are merely for show and hold little or no real power over the actual dictators.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
How do you feel about the LGBT equality battle being seen as a 'first-world problem' that won't matter as long as there are people living in third-world poverty?

Well first off, I would say that it is unfair to judge the quality of someones life just because of the country they live in. There are rich people in third-world countries, just as there are poor people in first-world countries. It's not like poverty doesn't exist in, say, America where it's actually a huge problem.

But I don't see how a GLOBAL problem can be solved when there are still people judging others based on things they can't control. Equality shouldn't even be an issue. ~_~

I actually know people, most living in poverty, from America traveling to and sending supplies to Uganda and other African countries that are in a conflict. So it's not like we can't help each other out, or at least help them while we help ourselves.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years

I actually completely forgot to check the LGBT Club at all yesterday (because I'm a horrible club owner clearly!) and Morkula linked this to me on MSN, so I came here just now prepared with the link to give everybody... but it appears he got it from here in the first place :P

This was the most wonderful blog ever about LGBT issues and just discrimination in general. I felt really terrible for Jacob, and I really wish I had his contact details so I could tell him to come live with me! But the message was just so beautiful, I don't even know what to say.

Unfortunately there was a troll there in the comment stream by the name of merno that was bringing the whole thing down with all his/her "gay is a choice" crap... it appears some people are just unable to understand the message. Which is a shame.

I posted in the comment stream telling everybody to ignore merno because they're silly and their opinions are irrelevant and silly.

------------

ALSO: In more official business, I'm going to have the name of this club changed because I really, really hate it. Like, with a passion. They will write country music about how much I hate this club name. It's scary, it makes me violent and gives me nightmares. I might have my disdain embroidered on T-shirts next to a very angry-looking Raichu. So I need help coming up with new names for it. I need something that encompasses everybody nicely without it being this overly politically-correct alphabet soup nonsense, and I'm having a little trouble coming up with them by myself lol.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
I actually completely forgot to check the LGBT Club at all yesterday (because I'm a horrible club owner clearly!) and Morkula linked this to me on MSN, so I came here just now prepared with the link to give everybody... but it appears he got it from here in the first place :P

This was the most wonderful blog ever about LGBT issues and just discrimination in general. I felt really terrible for Jacob, and I really wish I had his contact details so I could tell him to come live with me! But the message was just so beautiful, I don't even know what to say.

Unfortunately there was a troll there in the comment stream by the name of merno that was bringing the whole thing down with all his/her "gay is a choice" crap... it appears some people are just unable to understand the message. Which is a shame.

I posted in the comment stream telling everybody to ignore merno because they're silly and their opinions are irrelevant and silly.

------------

ALSO: In more official business, I'm going to have the name of this club changed because I really, really hate it. Like, with a passion. They will write country music about how much I hate this club name. It's scary, it makes me violent and gives me nightmares. I might have my disdain embroidered on T-shirts next to a very angry-looking Raichu. So I need help coming up with new names for it. I need something that encompasses everybody nicely without it being this overly politically-correct alphabet soup nonsense, and I'm having a little trouble coming up with them by myself lol.

Any ideas?

That's what I thought! xD I even reblogged it here on PC. :P

Also, he posted a follow up blog entry, with 8 responses he felt were the most powerful, from the comments section and emails and such.

WARNING: The first three responses he posts are anti-LGBT responses, so be prepared to hold your rage in. >__> The next five are all supportive messages. I felt it was worth the read:

Follow Up Entry to "I'm Christian Unless You're Gay"

And as for renaming the club...I got jack diddley squat. xD Other than a generic "Pokecommunity LGBT Club" or something. :\ I'll leave the creative naming for the people who know their stuff. :P

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
We should have a sweet Acronym!

I.R.A.Q.- I Really Am Queer!
S.L.U.T.S. - Sexual-Identity Lost Underneath the Sheets

Nevermind...I guess no one wants to use those ones :(
Okay, let me think of one for real now...

R.P.G.- Rainbow Pride Group (Look. I tied-in gaming!)

Sure we can say gay pride group, but it excludes others. We could say every sexuality under the sun instead of "rainbow" but it like having a group that is Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Mongolian, Vietnamese, and Laotian club; it's like come on, just say Asian Pride, we don't need to list EVERY ethnicity. I would say "queer pride group" but I think that to some there is negative connotations to "queer". Plus, the rainbow just encompasses the idea of a diverse spectrum, and not to mention it represents the whole LGBTAPOAQXCBSEOBESAAAAA community. What do you think?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure if you go with "LGBT and Friends", or "LGBT and Supporters", those who aren't LGBT won't feel excluded.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I'm pretty sure if you go with "LGBT and Friends", or "LGBT and Supporters", those who aren't LGBT won't feel excluded.

You never know. I personally don't think that it sounds exclusive, but I remember some people who were pansexual and asexual, among others, who felt like they were not being included. But again, I have no problem with that at all; Anything beats the acronym we have right now, haha.

Also, thanks Ineffable!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Oh yeah, we also need a new question; I feel like the host from "1 girl 5 gays" when I ask my questions because people think I am being a bit risque, but I try to word them carefully, lmao.​

Do you desire to date someone who is more masculine/feminine or submissive/dominant than you?
Also, here is some interesting data about sexual preference of gay men. http://www.nickyee.com/ponder/topbottom.html

I would say that.... yes, I do desire to date someone who is more dominant and masculine than I am. In the link above, only 1 out of 5 gay men surveyed said that they had no preference to dating a person who was more dominant/submissive or masculine/feminine than them. In heterosexual relationship, the majority of females and males almost always prefer to be more submissive or dominant respectively. Therefore, that is a similarity between homosexual and heterosexual relationships. I am just wondering if you guys/gals also prefer a dynamic where one partner is more or less in charge than the other, even if it is just a little bit.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
Do you desire to date someone who is more masculine/feminine or submissive/dominant than you?
Also, here is some interesting data about sexual preference of gay men. http://www.nickyee.com/ponder/topbottom.html

Actually, no, not at all. This is kind of my biggest thing. It changes depending on my mood but I'm always in some grey area between dominant and submissive, never completely one or the other. I don't care if my partner is more or less feminine than me but I tend to prefer girly girls either way. :3

I'm not a gay man in any sense of the word, and I've never had anal sex (or any sex at all), but on that scale I would say I used to be a 4 but in recent months I usually feel more like a 2 or usually 3, and this is in the sense that I end up not wanting to be either dominant or submissive and rather both be equal.

Years
Okay, I'm going to sound all bitter and cynical by the end of this post, but I don't see what everyone's so moved by from this blog. I thought it was pretty long-winded and didn't say much of anything. Maybe if I were Christian I would find something moving in the way it speaks in lots of religious verbiage. I dunno. If anything I think it's teaching a morally ambiguous lesson: love someone despite their "sins". Not "accept someone who's different" although I can see there's something of that message in there, but it's kind of weakly stated, especially with lines like this mucking things up:

Come on. Don't we understand? Don't we get it? To put our arm around someone who is gay, someone who has an addiction, somebody who lives a different lifestyle, someone who is not what we think they should be… doing that has nothing to do with enabling them or accepting what they do as okay by us. It has nothing to do with encouraging them in their practice of what you or I might feel or believe is wrong vs right.
Now, I know he's trying to be more readable to those religious blockheads filled with hate, but they're going to read something like this and think he's saying "love the sinner, hate the sin" or some such similar garbage. It's an apology piece.

Anyway~ we should be the Queer Club or The Rainbow Connection or something shorter that doesn't specifically list some people and not others (like, no LGBT and Others Not Worth Mentioning clubs, please)

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I love the complicated name we have! Although, S.E.A. Men and Women isn't such a bad name. ;)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
S.E.A. sounds too politically motivated, imo. Some people find "Queer" to be an offensive term.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Okay, I'm going to sound all bitter and cynical by the end of this post, but I don't see what everyone's so moved by from this blog. I thought it was pretty long-winded and didn't say much of anything. Maybe if I were Christian I would find something moving in the way it speaks in lots of religious verbiage. I dunno. If anything I think it's teaching a morally ambiguous lesson: love someone despite their "sins". Not "accept someone who's different" although I can see there's something of that message in there, but it's kind of weakly stated, especially with lines like this mucking things up:

Now, I know he's trying to be more readable to those religious blockheads filled with hate, but they're going to read something like this and think he's saying "love the sinner, hate the sin" or some such similar garbage. It's an apology piece.

***​

Anyway~ we should be the Queer Club or The Rainbow Connection or something shorter that doesn't specifically list some people and not others (like, no LGBT and Others Not Worth Mentioning clubs, please)

Mm . . . I guess I kinda get what your saying, but well . . . he's saying that you shouldn't hate somebody because you don't agree with who they are, but you should look past that and love the person behind the life-style . . . or something like that, lol. But . . . I guess some people wouldn't get the message, which is sad, really. Somebody could give the most amazing, incredible, moving speech in the world about these things and there would still be people that just don't get the message, or they still have the nerve to think that they're superior.

Shining Raichu said:

Any ideas?

Lolololololol xD
Aw, but I actually memorized the acronym! Well . . . not what it stands for, but I remember the LGBTQIPAAOS part! xD
Let's go with that R.P.G. - Rainbow Pride Group one, lol.

Um . . . I've never had a boyfriend . . . yet, so I guess I can't say for sure but, um, let's just say when I fantasize (no, it's not all the sexual crap usually, it's actually more often not sexual than it is, lol) I'm usually the submissive one? Lol . . .

Ho gawd . . . it's after midnight, I have school and have to get up at 5 . . . I should probably go now, lol.

Back