• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Pokémon GO’s Appraisal feature works

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
Thanks for the guide! This helped me really understand what the statements mean. It's a pretty good system imo and I like that they added it. Hope to see more useful features implemented in future.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Blanche told me that my favorite Starmie wasn't as good as the one with less great attacks. Bawww. I'm going to do what I usually do in games and not really care about the stats I think, haha. As long as the game is enjoyable for me c: I don't battle much anyways, it's the collecting and evolving that is fun for me~

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 5, 2016
The guide has helped massively especially with eevee's and magikarps where poke assist have massive possible ranges, I now now for certain I have a high IV magikarp to evolve once I get my hands on 5 more magikarps

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 5, 2016
37-45 (82.2-100)

30-36 (66.7-80)

23-29 (51.1-64.4)

0-22 (0-48.9)

The correct percentages since the Reddit chart was slightly off

Years
That's interesting to see the difference in dialogue from each of the leaders. I don't care too much about stats but I like that they've added this.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 5, 2016
I think the feature is mostly nonsense. The categories are too broad.

maybe, but its helped me narrow down all the IV's of my pokemon to within 3% of their IV, i wouldnt use this feature on its own but saves me a lot of time

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Oct 5, 2017
I use this chart to figure out the pokemons level:

Level # of Power Ups Stardust Candies
1-2.5 1-4 200 1
3-4.5 5-8 400 1
5-6.5 9-12 600 1
7-8.5 13-16 800 1
9-10.5 17-20 1000 1
11-12.5 21-24 1300 2
13-14.5 25-28 1600 2
15-16.5 29-32 1900 2
17-18.5 33-36 2200 2
19-20.5 37-40 2500 2
21-22.5 41-44 3000 3
23-24.5 45-48 3500 3
25-26.5 49-52 4000 3
27-28.5 53-56 4500 3
29-30.5 57-60 5000 3
31-32.5 62-64 6000 4
33-34.5 65-68 7000 4
35-36.5 69-72 8000 4
37-38.5 73-76 9000 4
39-40 77-80 10000 4

A power-up will increase the level of the pokemon by 0.5 . So just by looking at the amount of stardust and candies, i can immediately pin down the level to 20 categories. TWENTY. Not four. 20 really is better than 4, 4 is ridiculous. Each of the different categories you immediately get from just looking at the stardust cost is just two levels wide.

Then, by watching when the price does a jump, i get the precise level after a maximum of 3 power-ups. That is the highest precision that can be reached. You cannot do any better.

So i still think the feature is a joke. To make it useful, they should have her say something like "This pokemon is really amazing, it is level 26.5".

I need no calculator, no app, i only need the one chart i just posted, and the new feature gives me nothing new.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
^ Finding out levels are great and all, except a Pokémon's level has nothing to do with its IVs. Not sure what you're trying to say comparing Stardust cost with a Pokémon's IV spread, which is what the appraisal feature is supposed to help narrow down.

It can be CP160 with 0/0/0 at level 19 or CP60 at level 5.5 with 10/10/15. So you're saying by looking at the Stardust cost, you can pinpoint all three stats' IVs? Not sure what this is about.

What the appraisal feature does is immediately give you an idea upon capturing or hatching a Pokémon whether or not it's candy fodder or requires a closer look.

For instance, I caught a wild CP904 Exeggcute yesterday. Normally I'd keep every CP600+ Exeggcute (level 20+) I find just because I know the potential for a beast Exeggutor would be right there, but I'd have to deal with finding out individual IVs before evolving.

The appraisal feature immediately tells me that the overall potential the Exeggcute is a minimum of 82% (37/45). Great. Then it also tells me that both attack and defense IVs are perfect. Splendid. Knowing that, the stamina has to be at least a 7, which I would still take.

All this without doing anything other than reading the text the team leader spits at you. In the end, its IV spread is 15/15/13 or 95.6%.

Should the team leader have said something like "Overall, your Pokémon has certainly caught my attention" and pointed out she's impressed by its stats for one category, then I know the remaining two stats are each less than 13, but must combine to be 17-23. The range is pretty big, so I'm curious whether this Pokémon has a 67% or 80% IV rating so I'll hold onto it for further investigation. Any rating lower upon appraisal, I wouldn't even bother keeping so its an easy way to maintain storage.

Let's forget the appraisal feature is there at all. Can you look at this Vaporeon and immediately tell me what its IV spread is across attack, defense and stamina just from looking at its candy cost, without resorting to powering it up? Let's say candy is valuable and for the sake of evolving a super rare Pokémon for this level 13 player, they don't want to use any.
Mr8wMeJ.jpg

Mind you, the appraisal feature is by no means perfect. But it's a hell of a lot better than having nothing at all to point you in the right direction when judging the potential of a Pokémon, without resorting to calculators and apps.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 5, 2016
i get the precise level after a maximum of 3 power-ups.

that one sentence just shows how wrong you are, to use your method you need to spend stardust to get the exact level it is.
i wouldnt use the appraisel system on its own, but i caught about 30 pokemon this evening, the appraisel system told me that 5 of those pokemon had 82.2% or better IV's so i can now check those on poke assist and ive transferred all the others, using the best stat from appraisels i always get the pokemons level on poke assist and can narrow down the Iv's to within 3% without spending any stardust

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Oct 5, 2017
^ Finding out levels are great and all, except a Pokémon's level has nothing to do with its IVs. Not sure what you're trying to say comparing Stardust cost with a Pokémon's IV spread, which is what the appraisal feature is supposed to help narrow down.

It can be CP160 with 0/0/0 at level 19 or CP60 at level 5.5 with 10/10/15. So you're saying by looking at the Stardust cost, you can pinpoint all three stats' IVs? Not sure what this is about.

What the appraisal feature does is immediately give you an idea upon capturing or hatching a Pokémon whether or not it's candy fodder or requires a closer look.

For instance, I caught a wild CP904 Exeggcute yesterday. Normally I'd keep every CP600+ Exeggcute (level 20+) I find just because I know the potential for a beast Exeggutor would be right there, but I'd have to deal with finding out individual IVs before evolving.

The appraisal feature immediately tells me that the overall potential the Exeggcute is a minimum of 82% (37/45). Great. Then it also tells me that both attack and defense IVs are perfect. Splendid. Knowing that, the stamina has to be at least a 7, which I would still take.

All this without doing anything other than reading the text the team leader spits at you. In the end, its IV spread is 15/15/13 or 95.6%.

Should the team leader have said something like "Overall, your Pokémon has certainly caught my attention" and pointed out she's impressed by its stats for one category, then I know the remaining two stats are each less than 13, but must combine to be 17-23. The range is pretty big, so I'm curious whether this Pokémon has a 67% or 80% IV rating so I'll hold onto it for further investigation. Any rating lower upon appraisal, I wouldn't even bother keeping so its an easy way to maintain storage.

Let's forget the appraisal feature is there at all. Can you look at this Vaporeon and immediately tell me what its IV spread is across attack, defense and stamina just from looking at its candy cost, without resorting to powering it up? Let's say candy is valuable and for the sake of evolving a super rare Pokémon for this level 13 player, they don't want to use any.
Mr8wMeJ.jpg

Mind you, the appraisal feature is by no means perfect. But it's a hell of a lot better than having nothing at all to point you in the right direction when judging the potential of a Pokémon, without resorting to calculators and apps.

That vaporeon is between level 1 and 2.5 , and you are wrong to say that level and IV can be different in that way. There is a direct, linear correlation, level multiplied by ~2.2 gives you IV. So your vaporeon has an IV between 0 and 5.5. But i do not even need IV, i just use the level, its like Fahrenheit and Celsius, you may prefer one but you really do not need both.

Just sort your pokemon by number, look at all pokemon of one kind sorted by CP, and see how they are also quite precisely sorted by level based on the stardust cost for the power-up.

VisualJae

Years
That vaporeon is between level 1 and 2.5 , and you are wrong to say that level and IV can be different in that way. There is a direct, linear correlation, level multiplied by ~2.2 gives you IV. So your vaporeon has an IV between 0 and 5.5. But i do not even need IV, i just use the level, its like Fahrenheit and Celsius, you may prefer one but you really do not need both.
I'm not sure you're on the same page with the IV system. IVs are ranges for each attack, defense and stamina stats between 0 and 15.

And no, this Vaporeon cannot be at level 2.5, which would give it a minimum CP of 144 with 0 IVs across the board, not the 39 shown here. There is literally only one answer here. It's level 1.

Honestly, knowing the Pokémon's current level doesn't really help you in judging its potential. Like I already mentioned, you can have a CP160 Pokémon with 0/0/0 IVs at level 19 or a CP60 one at level 5.5 with 10/10/15 IVs. You want to tell me at a glance, knowing only the CP value and Stardust cost, you can tell me exactly what the IVs are for both Pokémon? The only way I can see that happening for an individual Pokémon basis is if you've memorized the possible CP ranges for every individual Pokémon at each level. And if you're going to go that far, you might as well just memorize the formula for calculating CP to begin with, which is dependent on the Pokémon's base stats and IV spread.

So can you tell me the exact values for this Vaporeon's attack, defense and stamina stats from looking at Stardust requirements? That's the whole purpose of the appraisal system, the point of this thread.

VisualJae

Years
Let's say I have one Drowzee in this category.
0b14c20446.png

And a second Drowzee in this category.
cda8f12182.png

Which of those are considered more important? Sorry for being really inexperienced with advanced Pokemon stats.
The first category is obviously more important. It speaks about the Pokémon's overall potential.

You can have perfect (15) IVs in defense and have zeroes across the board for both attack and stamina (0/15/0), which wouldn't do a whole lot for you. But if you have a bare minimum 37/45 IVs or ~82% perfection rating, then you know you have a decent combination of stats at the very least... 15/14/8, 11/14/12, 13/14/10, etc.

Anyway, the appraisal feature isn't perfect. It only points you in the right direction over what Pokémon to investigate more closely. The feature did its job if you managed to narrow a dozen Drowzees down to these final two. You would still have to dig deeper on which stats have which IVs.

Back