• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Identity

Whose Overworld sprite do you want to see?

• ??? (The mysterious woman)

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • Aster

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Kaius

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Lilah

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Sadie

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Vivi

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
I will not be able to release the next version on new years as promised.
I encountered some major problems during testing involving the hacked engine.
I couldn't make Identity work properly and, to be honest, it was a huge mistake to not test it out before inserting the new maps and scripts.
(I applied the patch of the hacked engine first, then the patch of Identity)

In the worst case scenario, I will have to transfer all maps and scripts manually.
I'll try to find a way around this problem but as it stands, I cannot release a newer version at the moment.

Poll

Spoiler:

identitydarknoslogan.png

Logo by Kip

Info

Hack Name: Pokémon Identity
Hack Of: FireRed(U) [BPRE]
Author: VGAura

Language: English

Intro
Happy New Years everybody.
I started this hack almost a year ago and since then, I've become quite skilled at scripting. I want to make a Pokémon game that has a larger emphasis on story and character development.

I didn't want to reveal anything about this hack until I felt satisfied with how it turned out. Well, it's been almost a year so I figured I'd release the demo anyways.
Enjoy

Log
February Began planning
2/13/09: Officially started the hack
2/21/09: Completed Prologue
2/23/09: Began Chapter 1
4/27/09: Research Starters
4/29/09: Completed Starters
6/4/09: Completed Chapter 1 Main Scripts
6/11/09: Begin Chapter 1 Sidequests
6/24/09: Completed Lava Cake Sidequest
7/13/09: Completed Vixie Sidequest
8/12/09: Completed Final Touches on Chapter 1, Begin Chapter 2 Mapping
9/11/09: Begin Chapter 2 Main Scripts
9/20/09: Main Scripts in Silvertone City/Sewers Complete
11/7/09: Main Scripts in Sid's Inn Complete
11/20/09: Scripts in Silvertone Pass Complete
11/25/09: Major Scripts and Demo Ending Skit Complete
12/22/09: Sewer Trainers Implemented
12/26/09: Items Implemented
12/27/09: Extra Scripts Complete
12/28/09: Final Touches Done
12/29/09: Began Primary Testing
12/30/09: Completed Primary Testing
12/31/09: Began/Completed Secondary Testing
1/1/10: Thread Posted and Demo #1 Released
1/4/10: Began Character Designs
1/5/10: Basic Scripting Complete for First Chapter 3 "Mini-game"
1/8/10: Completed Id's OW Walking Sprites
1/15/10: Began Protagonist Front Sprites
1/17/10: Complete Protagonist Front Sprites
2/10/10: Revamped Female Id's Front Sprite

Story
In Auria City, the region's 100th annual Pokémon League tournament is being held. As the tournament commence, a young child writes in a journal about how festive the city has become…

Our protagonist Id (pronounced EED) wakes up in an unknown location and discovers that most of his/her body has been replaced with mechanical parts. Startled, Id is determined to escape and find out what is going on but doing so will not be easy when there are strange scientists determined to capture him/her. However, with the help of a mysterious woman, the protagonist manages to grab a Pokémon before escaping the building through the back entrance. Id barely manages to avoid his/her pursuers before sneaking onboard a ship, not knowing where it will go…

About the game

• You can select either boy or girl and the texts in game will change accordingly.

• There will be different texts for boy and girl characters but most of it will just be pronoun changes (he/she, him/her)

• This hack is extremely script and dialogue heavy so if you don't like that kind of stuff, this hack is not for you.

• Hack is split into chapters. This Demo contains Chapter 1, Chapter 2, and a Mini-chapter that serves as a bridge between Chapter 2 and 3. Chapter 3 will not be in this Demo.

• There are a couple of maps that are unreachable because they play a part in the story. You will be allowed to explore these maps after you beat the demo but they won't have any scripts.

• I use my own mapping style in which I make my maps look like whatever it's supposed to be. It's hard to explain, you'll see what I mean.

• This hack uses the default FireRed tileset with some block edits.

• Trade evolutions will be handled differently in future releases.

Starters
Starters are Machop, Ralts, and Seedot

Furthermore, their base stats and movepool have been modified to match regular starters. Of course everything is subject to changes throughout releases.
Capture-1.png

Characters
There will be 7 main characters along with the protagonist.

Id (Or whatever name you chose) – The protagonist of this hack. Id is on a journey to return to his/her hometown, or at least what s/he believes is his/her hometown. I haven't completely decided on his/her personality so most of his/her dialogue is just placeholder text.

Raine (Or whatever name you chose) – Id's sister, not much else is revealed about her at the moment.

??? – A mysterious woman that helped Id escape, seems to appear at random times.

Aster – A naïve trainer who is just starting out on his journey.

Lilah – An extremely rude shopkeeper who helps out Id through the sewers.

Vivi – Chapter 3 Character: Coming soon

Map of the Demo
Demo1.png

This is a map of the places you can go to in this Demo

Auria City
Marine Harbor
Silvertone City
Sunrise Town

Blue – Auria City Port
Pink – Lighthouse
Red – Harbor Street Corner
Orange – Ancient Grove
Yellow – Silvertone Outskirts
Indigo – Silvertone Pass
Violet – Silvertone Caverns

Towns and locations will be added as they are revealed.

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Banners:
By: XxAzaliaxX
Spoiler:

By: Kip
Spoiler:

Credits:
XSE
OWEditorRE
Advance Map
Advance Trainer
A – Text
Item Editor
HackedUNLZ
YAPE

ROM Hacking Newsletter for the amazing tips like the seagallop animation
Authors of the countless documents I've used on Pokecommunity and PHO.

And of course, leave comments/bugs/feedback

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2010
Congrats for making it into the Showcase, are you going to change the OW so it has mechinal parts?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
Yes, I do plan on changing the OW of all the main characters but I haven't decided on what they look like as of yet, except for the mysterious woman whom I'm already started designing her sprite.

To answer your question: No, those parts will be hidden under clothing. Wouldn't you freak out if you saw someone with a mechanical arm walking around?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, my main hacking adviser, Christos, told me to play this game because it looked promising, so I did and I have to say that I really like it. Mainly because it's something different, and has a good sense of humour. I miss some tile changes (the lighthouse could have some improvements), but I can't really say it's too necessary.

At first, I was scared I would need the cake to progress (and I was going to complain about a lack of money sources to beat all the money-drinking sidequests), but since they aren't, I'll just shut up and say that it just adds to the entertainment, you don't see many sidquests in games right at the beggining.

The scripts, well, they are really well made, so chapeau there.

About the starters, the stat boost makes them grow somewhat faster than usual, so it's really great for lazy bums like myself XD I also like the high amount of pokemon available out there, I already caught 17 by Silvertone.

I have seen some glitches, though: the borders of the text box in the lighthouse elevator stay during the animation, and in the entrance to Battle Road there are characters popping out of nowhere (Brandon and the guy next to the stairs inside- screenshots 1 2 3 4); plus some grammar issues (not leaving a space after dotting, or this).

But, for now, I really like the idea of the hack. Good job, and please keep working on this, it has a good potential.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
Nice to see this in showcase. Hope you will make more great hacks when this is finished :)

snap12

Billie Jean is not my lover
Years
First of all, I want to say I respect your method of making a lot of progress before you made the thread, thats what I am planning on doing and I dont see why more people dont do it.

I'm planning on playing this later today and I will let you know how it goes, but I already get a feel that this has major potential. I would consider adding some screenshots or some videos or something to give people a feel for the game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
To RedSonicX:
I can't answer for sure since I haven't really thought about that.
However, I do feel that sometimes the music doesn't fit whatever is happening in the game so there is a good chance the music will be changed someday.

To Went:
It's nice to hear that the Optional Quests, scripts, and starters are working the way I intended them to. Also thanks for telling me the glitches/grammatical errors and they will be fixed. You would be surprised at the amount bugs/glitches/grammatical errors I found when I play-tested the first two times.

To Live Update King:
Thanks for the comment but its way too early to be thinking about another hack especially since it took me almost a year to complete two chapters and there's still 8 more chapters to go.

To snap12:
I think the reason why people don't wait until they have a lot finished is because the temptation to show others what they've worked really hard on is too great. I admit, I was tempted to release a demo back in July when I completed the last Optional Quest for Chapter 1.
Another reason is that people might need help on their hack early on.

To The Corrupt Plague:
Thanks, I appreciate your support.

By the way, I was wondering if anyone has completed the demo yet or encountered any game-breaking bugs.
Furthermore, what do you guys think of the story/dialogue?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I've completed the demo, but found no "game breaking" bugs.
This is really good.
Good luck!

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2010
AWESOME HACK!!!
I love the story line seriously...i cant wait for what happens yet, im really stumped on whats going to happen to the main character after his "death"
Well good luck on completing it, cant wait till this thing is complete

On the side quests and other stuff like that...you should try to put a reward system or somthing like that for when you do complete side missions, or have like the TV program talk about how good your character is...

No i did not encounter any bugs, but i think i saw when the deputy "May" Character it came out as Deputy Jenny or something i really can remember i was reading it fast...
Continue the awesome Hack!!!

Weavile Gemini

Some Ninja
Years
I'm just going to put it straight: I throughly enjoyed the demo.

The events were intriging. Kept up the excitement without being too fast. And as I walked through the towns, you had me worrying (and anticipating!) what would happen to Id next.

The sidequests piling up at the beginning seemed a bit overwhelming at first, but I soon found that the ways in which they were completed were entertaining. Especially the rewards, I certainly didn't expect to get a chance to trade for a Pokemon.

I also liked the story, the cut off word at the end of the note in the beginning was actually quite disturbing, (in a good, suspenseful way.) The characters were quite a bit interesting themselves. The one I find the most interesting is Lilah, with her casual speech and unexpected antics. Aster was a great addition, his personality contrasts with Id's seemingly dimmer one.

On that note, I'd like to reccomend that you give Id a personality on par with Lilah's. I think I'd make their confrontation much more interesting. (I'm imagining a sort of exchange of threats, that sort of thing.) Id doesn't seem (in personality) like much of a convincable criminal to me. (It might make the authorites confused of Id's motives.) Perhaps it would be more believable to make Id seem like something of an Anti-Hero. Maybe he or she could be a deadpan snarker with the occational psychotic smirk. Or maybe Id feels a bit uncomfortable around normal people because he/she has a mostly robotic body. Don't get me wrong however, an innocent or high-spirited character is great too; a contrast to Lilah.

Also, one question. Is "Id" referring to the Psychological term? If it is, then I'd like to say I named my Ralts "Ego." Haaa...

All in all, I really like how Identity is turning out. It's so fun, I can hardly wait for the next two chapters! Keep going with it!

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
Years
I just downloaded the Demo and I'm about to start playing it. It seems really cool by the description! I'll be watching this hack...

Edit: I'm playing the Demo right now, and I have to say that I love it!

However, I'm a bit... stuck. I can't seem to figure out what to do after giving that orb thing to the twins... I mean, I know I have to go to the next town, but I can't seem to figure out how...

Don't get me wrong though, I love the game play and just about everything about this hack so far! It's a great storyline, and I'm really enjoying myself.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2010
I just downloaded the Demo and I'm about to start playing it. It seems really cool by the description! I'll be watching this hack...

Edit: I'm playing the Demo right now, and I have to say that I love it!

However, I'm a bit... stuck. I can't seem to figure out what to do after giving that orb thing to the twins... I mean, I know I have to go to the next town, but I can't seem to figure out how...

Don't get me wrong though, I love the game play and just about everything about this hack so far! It's a great storyline, and I'm really enjoying myself.

That took a long time for me to figure out too, but what you have to do is get Cut and then catch a pokemon that can learn it... it took me forever to find one xP

Hope that helps you out

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the story.

As for Id's personality, I am thinking about giving him/her a cheerful, upbeat, and perhaps naïve personality to start with but gets progressively darker as s/he uncovers more secrets about the world around him/her.

So in other words, I'm giving Id a slightly modified personality of Aster.
Also, I'm already starting to design the Hero and Heroine's sprites and overworlds.

Now, about the hack itself:
Should I have made the next destination after giving the orb to the twins more obvious?
Are there too few Pokémon that can learn Cut in that stage of the game?
I can't believe I didn't fix that error with the deputy. I actually caught that error on both my play-tests but forgot to fix it both times.

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2013
Um, at the start of the game, when it asks you for the name of your sister, it gives a list of pre-defined names, then a picture of Gary Oak (?). Just thought I'd point that out, it's somewhat confusing...

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2010
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the story.

As for Id's personality, I am thinking about giving him/her a cheerful, upbeat, and perhaps naïve personality to start with but gets progressively darker as s/he uncovers more secrets about the world around him/her.

So in other words, I'm giving Id a slightly modified personality of Aster.
Also, I'm already starting to design the Hero and Heroine's sprites and overworlds.

Now, about the hack itself:
Should I have made the next destination after giving the orb to the twins more obvious?
Are there too few Pokémon that can learn Cut in that stage of the game?
I can't believe I didn't fix that error with the deputy. I actually caught that error on both my play-tests but forgot to fix it both times.

Well personally i thought that when i was in the forest and then suddenly i appear in a Time Stand Still Zone i was like "ok wtf?" but yea..
On the Cut using pokemon though... thats a different stroy..
the only pokemon i found that could learn cut was nicuada (however you spell it)
But im hoping there is a way to get the second badge before going through the demo part of the story itself.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Cut was easy.
Maybe I'm lucky, but...
Spoiler:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, I finished the beta and I have to say that it's one of the best storylines I have seen, and the execution is just great. The scripts are really variated, not over the top and never any more than the necessary. Please don't stop this, because it would be a great loss.

About the lack of pokémon with Cut, you should add some more Odissh, Rattata, Bellsprout, etc. Simple enough for a forest.
And I have to say a thing: I love the great number of healing spots. There is only one thing more annoying than games with overleveled pokémon: games with overleveled pokémon where, after beating a helltrainer in a cave, you are forced to spend 5 minutes walking back to the "nearest" pokémon center just to find out that there are still a lot of helltrainers waiting for you. Not like your trainers have specially strong pokes (in fact, I think the guys from the sewers could work with a couple more of levels, but I'm a lazy bum so better ignore this suggestion, the weaker the easier it is to keep progressing XD).

Also, the "End of beta" sequence is by far the most awesome I have ever seen. In my life. Period.

But since I'm known by my beta-testing pickyness, have a few errors:
- The tile behind the character is wrong.
- You might want to move the ladder a tile up. The character appears to be jumping on the rock.
- Sadie or Jennie? Name mistake here. EDIT: I think you already caught this one XD

Last edited:
Back