• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

which starter do you think is the best one for each game?

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
Kanto: Charmander - Just because he is my absolute favorite starter.

Johto: Totodile - My first starter.

Hoenn: Mudkip - Mainly because Swampert is a boss, i mean c'mon ground/water?

Sinnoh: Chimchar - I've won a lot of competitive's from him.

Unova: Tepig - When i played through b/w he was pretty op.

Years
Well here is my choises

Kanto: Bulbasaur
Johto: Totodile
Hoen: Torchic! It just stole my heart with it's other forms.
Sinnoh: Piplup
Unova: Tepig. First, I though that Tepig sucks, but when I was kind of forced to take Tepig, I changed my mind with experience :). Tepig can learn Rollout. <3

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Kanto: Blastiose
Johto: Typhlosion (Awesomesauce 1)
Hoenn: Blaziken
Sinnoh: Empoleon (Awesomesauce 2)
Unova: Samurott

Also, in XD Gale of Darkness I evolve my Eevee into Jolteon every time. (Awesomesauce 3)

For the non "Awesomesauce" Pokemon, they ended up being the best out of what was available for their respective games.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
Kanto: Bulbasaur
Johto: Cyndaquil
Hoenn: Torchic
Sinnoh: Piplup
Unova: Oshawott

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Kanto: Charmander because it evolves into one of my favourite Pokemon.

Johto: Cyndaquil because it evolves into one of my favourite Pokemon.

Hoenn: Mudkip because it is very cool when it evolves into Swampert.

Sinnoh: Chimchar because it's basically, you know, best in my opinion.

Unova: Snivy. Shame it isn't Fire Type.

rayan.b

i like cinnamon :)
Years
Kanto: squirrel because turtles and tortoises rule XD
jhoto: cyndaquil because he's so cute and he evolves into a fire badass thingi
hoen: treeko is nice but everyone loves mudkipz XD ( including me ) and swampert looks so nice and he's so strong
sinnoh: all of them are nice ( best starters of all time for me ) but even though turtwing is a tortoise, penguins>over turtles and tortoises, so piplup XD besides my favorite type is steel and my favorite animal is penguins so empoleon is the best starter of all time for me :D
unova: for me unova is more of the best in each evo
first evo: tepid
second evo dewott
third evo: serperior

i like cinnamon :)

Years
Kento : Charmander because he is cool
johto : totodile is best in these three
hoenn : treecko is best grass starter for me
sinnoh : chimchar it's fighting type
unova : oshawott is cute

dewdott

Gym Leader Joseph
Years
Kanto: charmander - he is very strong when he gets to his final evolution

jhoto: totodile- because he is a good water type starter

hoenn: torchic - because of its fiery bravery and strength

sinnoh: turtwig- because it is a good Pokemon to start with

univa tepig- he is my most favorite Pokemon except for luxray he has a fiery spirt and very strong

Years
Kanto: Definitely Charmander. Sure, he has a disadvantage in the early gyms, but you get a fire/flying type out of it who can use Dragon type moves.

Johto: Totodile. Since it's water-type, you can teach it ice-type moves, which helps late in GSC

Hoenn: Torchic. Mudkip's got a double weakness to grass and I never liked Treecko.

Sinnoh: I have to say Turtwig. His evo line is sturdy and strong, the grass/ground combo eliminates the threat of water types, and because the other two are overused.

Never played Black or White though, so I can't say there.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
[SIZE="a"]I actually think that all the johto starters are awesome so I'm just gonna say all of them GOR johto[/SIZE]

Years
Kanto Bulbasaur
Johto Totodile
Hoenn Mudkip
Sinnoh Turtwig
Unova Oshawott

I believe these Pokemon make it the easiest to progress throughout their respective regions.
I have only ever used Turtwig from this list.

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
Kanto -
gby001.gif

It's the most useful starter especially in the beginning against Brock and Misty.

Johto -
gbc155.gif

I only chose Cyndaquil because it was my first ever Pokèmon and because Typhlosion has the coolest design from almost all the starters.

Hoenn -
emesprani252.gif

Sceptile is one of my favorite Pokèmon's because it's useful against most gym leaders. I also like it because of the anime probably one of Ash's best Pokèmon's. It killed Darkrai with leaf blade.

Sinnoh -
387.png

I think Turtwig was underrated and in my opinion Torterra was better then Infernape and Empoleon and not a lot of people started off with Turtwig. I'm using Turtwig in my current playthrough of Platinum (Now Torterra) and the gym leaders were way easier this time around using Turtwig. I beat Roark, Wake, Volkner and Byrom easily.

Unova -
501.gif

The only reason I picked this is because it was easy to use against Ghetsis and his Hydreigon because I just killed it with one ice beam LOL.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
This is only an opinion cos no starter is the best of them all it's the way you use them and Pokemon you have, etc. But this is my opinion on every gen.

Kanto: Charmander, I gave it to Charmander for it's high attack and speed making Charizard a physical attack sweeper.

Johto: Cyndaquil, because of it's high sp. atk and fast speed making Typhlosion a powerhouse.

Hoenn: Mudkip, I chose Mudkip cos of it's 2 type. It's Water/Ground so has lots more advantages on Pokemon other Water types don't have.

Sinnoh: I gotta give this one to Turtwig. When it's fully evolved it has a super high physical attack and defense but also an little above average sp. atk and sp. def. Making it able to inflict lot's of damage but take hit's at the same time.

I haven't played B/W so I can't state an opinion but if I could choose one of the starters it would either be Snivy or Oshawott.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
For me...it's actually based on favoritism.

Kanto: Charmander. Charizard is just super-cool and looks powerful. (But it's the exact opposite in competitive battling.)

Johto: Totodile. Not sure, but I seem to like the usage of Water-types.

Hoenn: Treecko. I like it. And Sceptile is the fastest Grass-type starter.

Sinnoh: Piplup. Well, Empoleon's Water-Steel. In truth, because of it...it works well for facing Cynthia's Garchomp (she does have it, right?). It can wall its Dragon attacks and hit back with neutral STAB Water-type attacks. And I said it before, I kinda like to use Water-type starters. Especially if I have no idea of what to use.

Unova: Samurott. All in favor of Water-type starters again...And that's it.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
  • Kanto: Charmander
  • Johto: Cyndaquil
  • Hoenn: Torchic
  • Sinnoh: Piplup or Turtwig
  • Unova: Tepig or Oshawott
My seventeen cents :3

Years
Kanto: Bulbasaur - Mainly cos it's helpful against the early gyms.

Johto: Cyndaquil - Probably cos most Trainers you encounter have weaknesses to Fire.

Hoenn: Mudkip - It has good stats and its evos are a big help in the third gym.

Sinnoh: Chimchar - It has the best offenses of the three and it learns good attacks.

Unova: Oshawott - It's easier to train than the other two and it can run both physical and special sets effectively due to balanced offense stats.

Back