• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Johto Pokemon: Good or Bad?

• Thread starter Pokémon Trainer 188
  • Start date

Pokémon Trainer 188

When you got to the Safari Zone did you catch any of the Johto Pokemon to use on your team like Phanpy or Natu? I did catch a Natu and it was a very good memeber :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Yes I did. =) I caught all the Johto Pokémon that I was able to find, because you were required to have them in order to complete your PokéDex. I didn't really use much of them in my team, though. Heracross was the only Pokémon that I've used, but only for a little while. I had it replaced with a Machoke few days after using it.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I used them a few times just for the heck of taking them along, however, I never really found them to be well-off than the other members of my team, because by the time I reach Lilycove, I have a self-sustaining team.

But Natu and Phanpy were pretty darn cute to ignore, tbh.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Hm...don't think I've ever used any of them bar Wobbuffett, and that was only to effectively trap Latios so I could capture him. Wobby was really useful for that purpose though.
I always try to catch them all though, with varying degrees of success - I only discovered this year that Heracross was in the Hoenn 'dex xD

Sirfetch’d

I managed to catch them all! The selection wasn't was great as I would have liked for it to have been, but it wasn't a huge disappointment. I did catch a shiny Sunkern that was my first shiny. =D

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
From the sound of it. A lot of these Pokemon sound useful if you aren't so far in the game. However, the only safari zone I've really paid much attention to is the firered and leaf green one cause it was a necessity.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 31, 2013
To be honest, I wish that Safari Zone's section was a little bigger but oh well. It wasn't that to get some cool Johto's Pokemons.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2014
I did catch and train Heracross and Houndoom (I trained them until lvl 100), and I also caught a Wobuffet (I like trolling with Wobuffet).

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2020
every once in awhile would i use any of them, but i did catch them for the pokedex!

Fighting Girl

Fighting Type Master
Years
I caught Heracross and it was awesome. I have also caught Girafarig and it was good. Phanpy is good too but I never caught one. So I say Johto Pokemon are good.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I've never tried any Pokemon from the Safari Zone, however on my next runs of the 3rd Gen games I'll definitely take it into consideration. Donphan seems like a cool choice. I like to use Pokemon I haven't used before...

Magic Magikarp

Magikarp is terrifying
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
I remember trying out an Octillery named Sid, an Xatu I named Birdbrain and a Heracross I named Bugzzy. I think out of all of them Octillery and Heracross rocked. Birdbrain didn't do so well sadly and I dont know why. Ampharos seems cool and so does Ariados. So I would say yeah but get ready to train them for a good amount of time.

Falsever

Nation Blue
Years
I've caught a Houndour and it was a great member in my team! :3
It's my 2nd lead in my team.
To be honest, all of them are great, but Houndour looks good so I don't catch other.

Years
I caught a few of the Johto Pokemon in Hoenn's Safari Zone (found my shiny Heracross there!), but overall, I didn't really use any of them as a part of my team. I was happy to see their inclusion though, since there would've been no other way to get them without being able to transfer between G/S/C and the 3rd gen games.

Years
The only reason I went into the Safari Zone to catch these Johto Pokémon was probably to fill my Pokédex up, since I've never actually used any of the Pokémon caught in the Safari Zone at all.

Back