• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Fire Red: BACKWARDS Edition

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Huh, I'm surprised nobody's ever asked that before!

What you actually need to do is go through what you can of Lavender Tower. The NPC at the end will trigger the flag that lets you go through to Saffron.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I found what might be another possible problem. There does not appear to be any blocker to the south anywhere upon acquiring your starter (AFAIK). What blocker is in place that gets removed after triggering the battle with Gary on Route 22? This battle occurs with Cacnea and his starter, at Lv.4 and Lv.7 respectively, after choosing to deliver the package to Oak; however, if the player makes the delivery and ends up not traveling to Route 22 (no doubt doing all of this wondering when the old man will move from between two rocks) to check out the Pokémon League building, it could cause a situation later where the player encounters Gary somewhere, then heads back to Route 22 (say to search for Totodile after finding out it's available there, which I luckily found on my second encounter so I knew to look for it) and stumbles upon this earlier encounter via script. This could look messy if it's possible.

I have a save state in place, so after completing up to a Gary encounter on the main game, I'll keep that save state somewhere and I might do it again followed by going backwards.

I'll presume the Lv.1 Gyarados was meant for a laugh. :D

EDIT: As of this edit, I'm quitting the hack and not returning to it. I was going to create a strategy guide for the game, mayhaps, but that Triathlete at the south end of Route 21 was unnecessary. A Lv.6 Furret knowing Rest? It shouldn't be EVOLVING until Lv.15, and it shouldn't be learning REST until Lv.32 (though a case could be made for Lv.28). It wakes up and immediately Rests again, wasting 5 PP on your moves. Meanwhile, it throws out the occasional Toxic, then Rests right after it. Ridiculous, and unplayable. This is clearly meant to be unrealistic and I'm not continuing with it.

Cyclone

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Level#Underleveled_Pok.C3.A9mon

It's a thing and official games have done it. The last trainer in the route is supposed to be a mini boss who is harder than the rest, so that is the case. That trainer is harder than the rest, but isn't nearly as hard as you're making it out to be. It's still an RPG, so you could just grind. I'd rather not list specific examples, but I've seen popular hacks with a lot more grinding than this.

I'm flattered that you wanted to make a strategy guide, though! The hack really is flawed, and you're not the first person to ragequit, either. I'm leaving this hack as it is, though. I'm actually working on a new project at the moment (extremely early stages of development, so a topic might not go up for months!), so this hack is just forever "unpolished but finished". I promise that I'll try to make any future hacks of mine good from a critical perspective however, so you have that to look forward to!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Level#Underleveled_Pok.C3.A9mon

It's a thing and official games have done it. The last trainer in the route is supposed to be a mini boss who is harder than the rest, so that is the case. That trainer is harder than the rest, but isn't nearly as hard as you're making it out to be. It's still an RPG, so you could just grind. I'd rather not list specific examples, but I've seen popular hacks with a lot more grinding than this.

I'm flattered that you wanted to make a strategy guide, though! The hack really is flawed, and you're not the first person to ragequit, either. I'm leaving this hack as it is, though. I'm actually working on a new project at the moment (extremely early stages of development, so a topic might not go up for months!), so this hack is just forever "unpolished but finished". I promise that I'll try to make any future hacks of mine good from a critical perspective however, so you have that to look forward to!
I think my main frustration is because I already save-stated at the battle; the good news is I have an old save state, but the thing I do not recall (I should check) is whether the older state has Totodile or not. If it does, I may re-evaluate what Furret is weak to (Fighting, which coincidentally is my starter, which was in my PC of all places) and give it a go knowing that Mankey will knock it out while it's resting.

What are all the Pokémon in there? I'm still working on Soul Silver and not doing hacks as much ATM, but when the 3DS is charging I am looking at hacks. Took a glance at Light Platinum in fact and am surprised there is a free Elekid already captured lying around (which gets your trainer ID to boot). Things like that which can be done with a hack are interesting.

I did figure out the difference in the desert tiles, as well. So at least I know what tiles to avoid. However, you have a couple of trainer comments that still seem to refer to surfing or something. Maybe I'll load the old state just to look these up.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
The route west of Viridian has various water types that you would expect to see on land. Lotad, Psyduck, and Marill as main examples. There's a one percent chance of Totodile (no idea why I did that, since I wanted starters to be only available in the safari zone), but you're better off surfing in the safari zone.

Also, if I recall correctly, all trainers who mention surfing on the desert routes should have some reference to "it's a shame I can't actually do that on sand" after battle. They MIGHT still say things like that in the battle scene right after you beat them, since I don't think I ever changed that. Good to see you're still willing to give the game a shot. Most of the "hard" things in the game are things that look difficult but are actually relatively simple. Key examples are Rock Tunnel, Saffron Gym, and Viridian Gym, though I've had legitimate complaints about people getting lost in Saffron Gym.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The reason I said that is because I had already caught Totodile. :) I like them better in the wild because, from my experience going after Totodile, it's hard to get them in the darn Pokéball as it is; if Safari Balls are only a 1x catch rate, it will be almost impossible to catch any of the starters. I like that they're in the Safari Zone, I just wish the other starters put in an appearance in volcano and forest areas respectively.

Cyclone

ultimateluigi987

Fire Emblem Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
After I beat
Spoiler:
is that it? Quick Claw Destiny Bond works wonders...

Rock Tunnel on the other hand was absolutely evil; I went into
Spoiler:

Oh yeah, I got a shiny Anorith at the beginning of the game, I'm glad that you gave it Signal Beam so it could actually be a Bug type.

Might as well post my "final" team:

Moltres Lv. 61
Slowbro Lv. 63
Banette Lv. 62
Armaldo (shiny!) Lv. 63
Ampharos Lv. 61
Salamence Lv. 62

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2013
I am really impressed I'm at the slugma fight and when i saw it was level 100 i was really excited great hack.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
Just so you know, you can also catch an infinite amount of
Spoiler:

Butterfree is now absurdly good, Farfetch'd is also useful.
Also, what's the story behind
Spoiler:
?

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Oh, did you look at the maps in A-Map and see the moon?

Well, that was going to be an extension of Mt. Moon. You reach the top, take a warp panel, fly up, and suddenly... boom! Moon. That was planned to be in a later version, but then I decided I'm done with this hack.

I assure you, the moon will most certainly be a setting of my next hack. Because the moon is awesome.

And it will have the ducktales moon theme playing.

I am that determined.

Freaking italics, dude.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
Actually, I saw it in the town map and decided to get to it the hard way, by save swap shenanigans between backwards Fire Red and Fire Red.

Star Girl

Dragon Obsessed
Years
I'm stuck in Vermillion. I've all ready gone through Diglet's cave but can't seem to figure out what to do from there since I don't have a ticket for the SS Anne and thus dont have cut.

Fun hack though really enjoying it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2017
I'll give you a small hint: Where do you go after beating the Vermilion gym in the original game? Oh and if you haven't beaten the Vermilion gym then do so before going there.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
I figured people would think "well gee, I have the bike voucher AND I really want the S.S. ticket right now." and realize they should head to Cerulean. Then they would just find a route.

(Also, bring ethers to rock tunnel or you'll think I'm more of a sadist than I actually am.)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I figured people would think "well gee, I have the bike voucher AND I really want the S.S. ticket right now." and realize they should head to Cerulean. Then they would just find a route.

(Also, bring ethers to rock tunnel or you'll think I'm more of a sadist than I actually am.)
Ethers? After a few battles, I backtrack and heal. :P

That's in any Pokémon game.

Cyclone

Back