• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I really doubt that we will get a fairy type. Sylveon looks like a flying type.
I also think this looks a bit like a wing.
Spoiler:

blue

gucci
Years
I would be pretty okay with a fairy type being introduced, it would really make that much of a major impact on gameplay and it would be a unique addition to the current type chart.

Navy Blue

Artist
Years
Fairy type would be neat..
Sylveon really fits, but I'm still all ears for something official to be released to I can chew at it like a termite! > : D

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Just had a small discussion about what Fairy could be strong/weak against.

Poison came up due to warranted belief that it needs a boost. Though based on old stories and the old ambiguous meaning and grouping for Fairy, it didn't really make sense...I started looking through some old info I had as well as various sites and remembered about Cold Iron. Iron was used to ward on Spirits, Fairies, Witches and other Malevolent Supernatural beings.

If they follow this Steel should be SE and resist Fairy type

Just to kinda play off, what do you think Fairy would be Super Effective against, be weak to, immune to or resist?

Super Effective Against: Fighting, Dragon (unless we go under Fairly Odd Parents logic on Dragons being impervious to magic)

Weak to: Dark, Steel, Electric

Resistant to: Fairy, Fighting, Psychic

Types Who Resist It: Fairy, Steel, Psychic

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Personally I'd say the 'Fairy' type is strong against Dark. If Fairy translates to 'light', like the above poster said then the concept does make sense in a way. In books generally or it's well-known that light overcomes dark. Dark being super effective against Fairy could also work but I would like to see something like this. I can't think of what it could possibly be immune to though so I'll figure that one out later. n_n

In most books where Light overcomes the Darkness, Darkness is also overpowering light to the point that is is almost snuffed out. Light overcoming Darkness is a metaphor more than half the time meaning no matter how hard or dire a situation is, it can always be overcome with perseverance and will. Light doesn't simply go out it still exists so it can eventually become stronger. Though in the same books Darkness devours light. As in the darkness consumes the will of those and makes them weaker.

So even with the two most common relations Light is strong against Dark and weak against dark while Dark can be immune to light.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
One thing that I'd like to see is a skippable tutorial/intro. Just give me my starter Pokemon, five Pokeballs, and Pokedex and let me start playing.

Either that or a tutorial which would lead you into figuring things out on your own would be cool by me, I guess.

They don't have to change any previous Pokemon if a new type is introduced. It can be new Pokemon onward only.

I thought it was a room move too but it doesn't really match any.

GameFreak has changed certain Pokémon's typings before, even if that was just changing the Magnemite/-ton/-zone evolution family's typing from pure Electric to a mix of Electric and Steel. It has also changed move animations between generations, too, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I would still use the tutorial on the first play of any new generation game, idk why but it's a must have for me even if I do know how to play.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
There will always be some sort of loophole where it would totally possible to introduce a new typing into the games, but that doesn't mean that they have to/should. We really have no idea what's going on in the heads of Game Freak/Nintendo, and the Fairy-type rumor is just that: a rumor. It could be possible, but I really hope not =x

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Fairfolk type? That's an alternate name for fairies as they were easily offended if one called them fairies, so the legends I've read say. Maybe it could be called Magic type or something along those lines as Fairies are magical.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
If this Fairy type were to be introduced, I imagine it being a mix of Psychic and Dragon, since (I'm guessing Xander would correct me on this. xD), Dragons/Fairies are both mythical, to some sort of extent? I imagine them also have strong telepathic abilities, at least to the extent that they could pull off what Sylveon pulled off in the movie trailer.

That's what I would think. I would actually totally be okay with it if it was another Dragonlike type. except I would probably think of Fairy Tail everytime I saw the word Fairy in Pokemon.

I don't agree with Retyping though. There's no need to retype especially since that ruins Metagame more than just adding in a new type.

I don't think retyping would "ruin" the metagame because with each new generation, metagames get entirely reconstructed. They don't just keep the same tiers and change around a few Pokemon, since there are new abilities, attacks, kinds of Pokemon, the entire thing shifts. Weather wasn't used as much until Politoed and Ninetales got their DW abilities, and for a while OU entirely revolved around weather. (I don't seriously OU as much anymore but there was definitely a time of only weather back on PO) As such, non-weather benefitters don't get used as much and the metagame shifts. So there really isn't a reason not to do something because of the metagame. n_n (ALSO I WAS ASSUMING YOU MEANT COMPETITIVE? SORRY)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
That's what I would think. I would actually totally be okay with it if it was another Dragonlike type. except I would probably think of Fairy Tail everytime I saw the word Fairy in Pokemon.

I don't think retyping would "ruin" the metagame because with each new generation, metagames get entirely reconstructed. They don't just keep the same tiers and change around a few Pokemon, since there are new abilities, attacks, kinds of Pokemon, the entire thing shifts. Weather wasn't used as much until Politoed and Ninetales got their DW abilities, and for a while OU entirely revolved around weather. (I don't seriously OU as much anymore but there was definitely a time of only weather back on PO) As such, non-weather benefitters don't get used as much and the metagame shifts. So there really isn't a reason not to do something because of the metagame. n_n (ALSO I WAS ASSUMING YOU MEANT COMPETITIVE? SORRY)

Metagame is only competitive gaming. And what I mean, We have set Pokemon already. They get retyped and take a huge hit thanks to the new types by doubling their weaknesses and barely increasing any strengths.

Look at Fairy for example. Blissey line if to get Fairy can take a huge hit as their only weakness is Fighting. Fairy is say weak to Steel and...Dark for argument sake, now Blissey is weak to 2 common types. Blissey was used to wall thing with her bulky HP but now has 3 weaknesses. Say they add Rock. She is also now weak to Steath Rock which cripples her effectiveness.

Some other new type idea: They release a Magic type. Say its strong against Ghost. Ghost Pokemon that weren't that used are now used less.

While the chances to increase more pokemon's potential it messes with just as many if not more by hindering them further. Rebalancing the type chart isn't really the major issue. Pokemon that have existed for 5 generations are at risk of potentially huge crippling factors. Imagine Gardevoir getting Fairy typed and it being weak to Dark. She now has a x4 weakness to dark types which really hurts her.

Clefairy's line isn't that used though she's an ok pokemon with Gen 4 and 5 updates. She gains new weaknesses which prevent her use even more. The entire tier list would shift when introducing a new type. That is an apparent given and what most Metagaming members fear the most...which is why so many are against adding more types. It ruins what they've mastered already and they'd have to completely rework teams.

I'm not against adding new types. There is just a lot of hurt that is going to come in. It would be both a blessing and a curse as it resets the competitive field for a short time much like Gen 5 did when all the tournaments were only allowing Gen 5 Pokemon. It would probably take longer for them to balance out teams with new types added in than just new Pokemon, but that still remains that during that time the Metagame would have been destroyed and would have to be rebuilt from the ground up.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
You've got a point there, it would be a big change given how big the metagame has become since the last time they've added types. Gen 2 could get away with it, but I'm not so sure gen 6 can.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Honestly though...can the metagame actually get any worse than it is now? Be honest with yourself. I mean, not a lot of people are fans of B/W or what BW2 had to offer in terms of competitive, and if anything, starting over completely fresh would be welcome in some's minds. Heck, I'd go as far as to say that 4th gen's metagame was the superior one over 5th gen, as there was a lot that 5th gen pretty much ruined. OU is now a boring mix of toed/tar/ninetails/insert scizor/latios/dragon counter here, and that's really all you're going to see 9 times out of 10. What else is there? OU is lacking in variety, and what it lacks, the more underused tiers make up for it (such as UU/NU or even RU, for example).

In my honest opinion, I feel that introducing a new type would most likely freshen things up a bit more than anything else. Would it still carry consequence? Of course! But with what we've got now, are we really losing anything significant? Not really.

We're losing everything that we currently have. That's highly significant. Other than the nostolgia rage, this is the biggest reason new types aren't wanted by people.

Gen 5 changed some aspects of the Meta. Saying it didn't and saying Gen 5 ruined Meta are two contradicting statements. Gen 5 removed the OP'd set ups and then re-balanced some of the Pokemon with new abilities that lowered their use or upped their use. The balances were small enough that there weren't huge shifts.

While I don't not want a new type, I'd be inclined to agree with the metagame whines about how bad a new type would completely ruin the current set up. Sure Rain teams will redominate the battle unless Gen 6 restructures Weather effects to increase the ones that lack or debuff the current headers so that non weather teams have more chances.

Kinda hoping they introduce more Weather killers like they ended up doing with Psyduck. Maybe even more items that kill weather effects or abilities. There's more they can do to re-balance the metagame without introducing new types. They'd be smaller updates and the shifts would be smaller rather than throwing everything we have now into the trash and starting from scratch which is actually a lot harder. Someone new has a better chance as they don't have all the old stuff programmed into them. Older ones will try to use the old combos and teams only to get upset that their time was wasted since the new stuff completely ruined what they had been doing for a while.

Completely shifting is ruining until everything is rebuilt.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Better to just rage about the new type and get over it than rage about how Venusaur and Volcarona are sweeping people's teams left and right in Sun, and how Tentacruel/Toxicroak/Polioed/Jolt are the pokes you're most likely going to see in rain, and that Hippo/Tar/Gliscor/Chomp/Jirachi/Skarmory are going to be the Pokemon you're going to see most in sand.

The general point is...the metagame, at this point, is just boring and extremely repetitive. Back in 4th gen, the only weather you really had to worry about was sand and that was because of the introduction of Gliscor and as well as (iirc) T-tar's 50% sanstorm boost to it's spdef, as well as Hippowdon. Rain was only a concern because of Starmie (who was like, a top tier threat iirc), but aside from that, I feel that a lot more strategy was used back in 4th gen competitive, because you won't have to worry about your opponent spamming weather anymore, really.

And it's not so much about introducing Weather killers anymore (though that would help, believe me). It's just introducing Pokemon with more variety. That's what the metagame is lacking. More diverse typing, more diverse abilities, more substance. Something to make OU less weather-based and actually centered around building a decent team and preparing for x threats and figuring out how to deal with it, kind of like how it was in Gen 4, what with most team's biggest threat at that point was prob LO (or Sash) Weavile.

As long as this generation introduces variety, I'm happy.

I don't find current set up boring or repetitive, neither do some current Metagame fans. Even Gen 6's Metagame will get old as soon as its set in stone. Gen 4 was stale until Gen 5 changed things around. Gen 3 was stale until Gen 4 changed things around. Its going to be a repeating cycle until the end of days for Pokemon. Better balancing is better than introducing something new and completely destroying only to have everything fall back to where it was before. After a few months it will always be boring and repetitive as the same teams will always be on top.

Gen 6 can offer way better updates than a new type especially since we don't know if we are only getting 1 new type or not. If one is on its way, what's to say there aren't 2 or 3 new types?

Also according to MNN Togetic gets type change...either Normal or Flying is getting removed if true. If flying is removed then Togetic and Togekiss no longer fear Stealth Rock or any of the common threats. It has potential to become a seriously dangerous Pokemon in Meta since it can abuse Serene Grace very well.

While it seems like a good thing, everyone running it will pretty much be trying to Crit Hax their opponent. Some odder rivalries will appear but many Pokemon that aren't up to taking a Serene Grace Hacked Crit/Status will have severe tier drops. If Fairy replaces Normal, there is a lot of unforseen things that can happen to increase Togekiss' weaknesses more than as a Normal type. If this is the scenario then Togekiss gets ruined due to retyping.

Look at all the people that were butthurt about the Rotom "fix" in B/W. Eventually some accepted it for Type walling, but all of the Rotoms had lost their core strategy which hurt it pretty badly until other ways to use it popped up.

Years
I couldn't read all the posts but I want to say that I am not against adding a new type. It is going to be interesting, in my opinion.
I will be sad, if they don't create good Dragon types tho. :( Can't wait for the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back