• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I can't even start my computer on windows 8 now so I have to use safe mode for now. I'm uninstalling it and "upgrading" to windows 7 today.

Windows 8 giving blue screen on startup has been a rarely occurring problem that didn't really bother me, but today it decided to be a jerk and kept giving me blue screen every time I tried to start up for 3 hours this morning. I've had it.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I can't even start my computer on windows 8 now so I have to use safe mode for now. I'm uninstalling it and "upgrading" to windows 7 today.

Windows 8 giving blue screen on startup has been a rarely occurring problem that didn't really bother me, but today it decided to be a jerk and kept giving me blue screen every time I tried to start up for 3 hours this morning. I've had it.

Sounds like one of these Windows 8 driver problems. Probably caused by something inside getting corrupted. Are you able to reset the PC?

Years
I believe it was something like DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or something like that, but regardless I'm probably going to back up my data and reinstall windows 7.

Years
I've heard of cases where drivers can be at fault of things like this in Windows 8 and even 8.1, so hopefully a downgrade to Windows 7 does well.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
The problem seems to be that since resetting a Windows 8 PC is essentially reinstalling Windows 8 from a blank disk and/or reimaging it with a recovery image, I suspect something deeper is afoot.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Speaking of boot times, I would not ever want to think about going with a normal HDD again ever since I've went hybrid...

Years
So as soon as I booted up my laptop this evening, I saw this little gem pop up...

vrrcbAu.png

Years
Is that the bug where it's constantly identifying and never actually connecting, to the point you need to disable and reenable the wireless card to fix it?

루기아: If you're able to boot into safe mode, try this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...sorequal/4d7dc696-2daf-4f88-8f83-3d13437a7f2b

You might be able to pinpoint what is conflicting with your computer and uninstall it, and perhaps be able to boot properly. That way, you may be able to either
a. Keep all your files and Win 8
b. Have proper access to Win 8 to back up all your files before you downgrade

Meh. Just downgraded to win7. Too many issues with win8 for me.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
So as soon as I booted up my laptop this evening, I saw this little gem pop up...

vrrcbAu.png

Run powercfg /energy in an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator) on a freshly rebooted laptop in idle, let it do its own thing, copy the report to the desktop, and open it. Check the battery capacities.

It's one of these nice things added in Windows 7. When a battery has worn out severely, the battery warning appears. Looks like you are going to have to plan for a laptop soon.

Years
One thing I definitely plan on doing when I get back from school this afternoon is just reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop. However, since I have a Windows 7 install disk, I'm not sure if I should install it back to manufacturer's state, or install it from scratch with the Windows 7 install disk. If I install from scratch, I'd at least not have to worry about bloatware, but then I have to worry about reinstalling drivers. I'll probably take a system image as well before I reinstall.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
One thing I definitely plan on doing when I get back from school this afternoon is just reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop. However, since I have a Windows 7 install disk, I'm not sure if I should install it back to manufacturer's state, or install it from scratch with the Windows 7 install disk. If I install from scratch, I'd at least not have to worry about bloatware, but then I have to worry about reinstalling drivers. I'll probably take a system image as well before I reinstall.

Does your laptop manufacturer has the courtesy to provide separate drivers on their recovery media and/or within the default installation? My Toshiba laptop has all the app and driver setup programs dumped in a folder should I need to reinstall or repair any software gone wrong.

Either way, both couldn't hurt - I think I'm more of a fan of restoring from a factory image, then uninstalling anything you won't miss.

Years
Crap, now I wonder if my laptop's hard drive is starting to show its age. I'm currently reinstalling Windows right now, but it's going at a slow pace. I wish there was a way in the BiOS to check if it's got any issues like on my desktop.

Years
Right now I'm running a CHKDSK scan on my laptop to scan for bad sectors and whatnot. And now I'm curious to see how the results are going to look.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Speaking of laptops and formatting them, I'm still waiting for my laptop to recover. Eugh. Turns out trying to install from a setup disc is not a good idea.

4 DVDs for a recovery image restoration feels... like when games had to come in multiple CDs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back