• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggyo

I read the news today, oh boy.
Years

map name: route 13
rombase: firered
comments: i made a not so good version of this map when i was still kinda new at mapping, but i remapped it, and i want to know what other people think about it,
stuff about the map: it is an area that constantly rains.
map: is on attachment.

I'm usually not a fan of natural mapping, and don't do it too much myself, but I think you mapped this route very nicely. A few quirks:
--the corners of the ledge pieces leave that huge brown triangle, and it really sticks out to me in comparison to how smooth everything else is. Maybe you could make a new tile/edit it to make it more natural?
--At first I was going to say too many puddle, but I'll let it by considering it's a rainy map.
--It seems a bit too...simple. There aren't any alternate paths or hidden goodies. Just a small complaint, but they make the map a lot more interesting to play than a straight path.

Overall- 8/10

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
Years
Map Name: Starter Town~
Hack of: Pokemon Firered
Comments:
The empty space at the right is just where the border will be, the exit of the town is to the left. The fenced in areas will have Pokemon in them.
I'll likely be changing the tiles in the future, just trying to get the gears turning again and learning how to use AMap 1.95.
Thanks all! :)

Spoiler:

I like the map, but it seems empty in the areas that are bare. Maybe you could bring in the houses a bit more or even expand the trees into the open areas. Also the cluster of flowers in the corner seems a bit messy, but you only need to remove a few. Overall I give this map a 7/10. ^^

Also I was skipped a few posts up:

The map is quite good, the layout is nice and the placement of the buildings seem perfect. The only that seems off is that grass color seems off but that's more personel preference. Overall I give your map a 8/10. Good job!

Map Name: Helita Town
Hack Name: None
ROM Base: Gold
Comments: This is the second town in my nameless hack. It has two location of interest, a magnet train station which is apart of the Omnita Rail Line and the TM Smith who hands out 3 TMs to choose from. To the south of Helita Town is Route 501 and to the left Mt.Junite.

@PoisoNinja: The corners of the mountains are apart of the tileset, the only other one is with grass edges which would make it look really awkward on the second level of the mountain. Same with the rock edges, except they remain the same no matter what tileset is used. But I may try to see if I can fix it, but thanks for the rating. ^^

Spoiler:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years

this map is way better than your old maps, you have improved since then, everything looks good, but you forgot to add flowers to the map, and the part with the stairs, the mountain can't go out like that, it doesn't look good, i give this map a 8/10

i posted a map above and it seems that they are always skipping me, so im going to repost it.

map name: none
rom base: blue
comments: one of the very few gb maps I've made.

This map looks really nice. The shape is really cool too.

The only only quirks I have with this map is that there are two cave entrances on the same piece of land which, imo, seems kind of redundant. I also think you need some more flowers in that patch of grass at the far left. Apart from that, this is a really nice map. :3

9/10

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years
yes, i know what it feels like to have been skipped :P, anyways, your map looks nice, and i haven't seen another map use the bike road tiles either, so this map is pretty interesting, everything seems nice but you could have added a few more trees at the bottom of the map, and if the player uses surf at the sand part, he can leave the map to the border blocks, so that isn't good, try to add rocks on water so the player can't go there, but besides all that i like the map and i wish i could play it, 8/10

comments: i made a not so good version of this map when i was still kinda new at mapping, but i remapped it, and i want to know what other people think about it,
I absolutely love this map,nice playability and randomnes(?).
it also reminds me of a map i did a loooooooooong time ago.Great job!
my only suggestion would be to edit the mountain tile a little,it looks weird in some places.
Now my map.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
my only suggestion would be to edit the mountain tile a little,it looks weird in some places.
Now my map.
Spoiler:

I like the style, in fact, I like the whole design of the map. My only criticism is the border block. Right at the top, near that slim tree, you can see the border, and no matter how you look at it, it will be an error unless you further expand the map a bit. Other than that, I see nothing wrong.

8/10 for that error.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Now my map.
Spoiler:
i think this mapp is really good , it apeals and have a nice style there is nothing that i would say that it's bad.
as the poster above mentioned that you will see at the top right the border error no you won;t see it because you can't actually go there its blocked but i lovw this map its a not so big and an good looking map really
10/10 from me:D
here is my map the second atempt to map an city and i think it turned good out well but it can be just me thinking this:D
caution huge map
Spoiler:
and please rate this at least:(

Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2011
i think this mapp is really good , it apeals and have a nice style there is nothing that i would say that it's bad.
as the poster above mentioned that you will see at the top right the border error no you won;t see it because you can't actually go there its blocked but i lovw this map its a not so big and an good looking map really
here is my map the second atempt to map an city and i think it turned good out well but it can be just me thinking this:D
caution huge map
Spoiler:

I think this map deserves a 10/10 because its a simple easy town,not hard for many.Also i liked how this town is on the top of a mountain and how the gym is at the bottom.Now the only thing i didn't like is that between the houses there is alot of dpace so add a plant or two.

Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2011
Now for my map :D
It's in Ruby
Spoiler:

It's a cave with a small ice puzzle in it. Not currently in a hack, but I might use it.

I like this cave it is simple but not to simple.The ice floor gives ther player an easy challenge.I will give you a 10/10 :) Keep up the good work.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years

yes, i know what it feels like to have been skipped :P, anyways, your map looks nice, and i haven't seen another map use the bike road tiles either, so this map is pretty interesting, everything seems nice but you could have added a few more trees at the bottom of the map, and if the player uses surf at the sand part, he can leave the map to the border blocks, so that isn't good, try to add rocks on water so the player can't go there, but besides all that i like the map and i wish i could play it, 8/10

it's a really good map it have it own style and flair i don;t think i am seeing some tile errors or something andit seem to have an good playability for the player i give it an 10/10:D
now my map:
credits alistair/Tb pro/and elite charizard
its a forest:D
Spoiler:

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years
it's a really good map it have it own style and flair i don;t think i am seeing some tile errors or something andit seem to have an good playability for the player i give it an 10/10:D
now my map:
Spoiler:
I like everything except the big tree placement,it's a forest,so there should be less space between the trees,I'll give it a Q/10 7/10

TehHepticOne

Pokemon fanatic?!
Years
now my map:

I like this map.. I like the layout of it but I'm honestly having some issues with it... The trees being only connected up and down and not side to side makes it seem like there is a lot of space. Try to connect them sideways... The placement of the trunks, flowers and small trees just seems random =\ Try to make them more organised unless you were purposely aiming for this effect... But overall I like this map.. =P Maybe it's cause of the tall grass and water placement but meh~
Rating: 8.5/10

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Time for my maps

Map 1: ROUTE 2
Name: Unnamed as of now...
Game: Based of a Fire red ROM
Comments: I just wanted to see if you guys like my style and if I should continue it or not... =P

Map 2: ROUTE 3
Name: Unnamed as of now (again ==")....
Game: Again, based of a Fire Red ROM
Comments: Obviously the top parts with the dark shadow leads into a forest and below the map will be a beach..

EDIT: Hehehe... My bad... I forgot to edit the top of ROUTE 3 so it's empty atm... =P

Last edited:

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
I like this map.. I like the layout of it but I'm honestly having some issues with it... The trees being only connected up and down and not side to side makes it seem like there is a lot of space. Try to connect them sideways... The placement of the trunks, flowers and small trees just seems random =\ Try to make them more organised unless you were purposely aiming for this effect... But overall I like this map.. =P Maybe it's cause of the tall grass and water placement but meh~

Time for my maps

Comments: I just wanted to see if you guys like my style and if I should continue it or not... =P

Comments: Obviously the top parts with the dark shadow leads into a forest and below the map will be a beach..

EDIT: Hehehe... My bad... I forgot to edit the top of ROUTE 3 so it's empty atm... =P

i know this isn't a tile rating review, but your tiles are simply amazing, i really love the pallets you used, it makes the map look bright and full of life, xD, as for mapping, you use different combinations of trees with smaller trees to make it look more natural, i do the same as well, but you seem to do a better job at it. as for the roads, i really like how it looks kind of small but it makes me get more interested to the game, if you would have made a hack like this, it would be amazing, i rarely ever say that to people, since i don't see much hacks that impress me, but this one is one of my top favorites, i give both maps a 10/10

Gemini Pika

Sprite Master
Years
Time for my maps

I have to say I love the tiles you used, also your maps from my perspective are playable. The only thing that bothers me is the sideways stairs being a bit off, but other than that, this map is great! =) You should continue in mapping and possibly more.

Edit: Hehe, I forgot the rating. 10/10

Also here's my map from the last page, I got skipped again. ^^'
Please rate!

The map is quite good, the layout is nice and the placement of the buildings seem perfect. The only that seems off is that grass color seems off but that's more personel preference. Overall I give your map a 8/10. Good job!

Map Name: Helita Town
Hack Name: None
ROM Base: Gold
Comments: This is the second town in my nameless hack. It has two location of interest, a magnet train station which is apart of the Omnita Rail Line and the TM Smith who hands out 3 TMs to choose from. To the south of Helita Town is Route 501 and to the left Mt.Junite.

@PoisoNinja: The corners of the mountains are apart of the tileset, the only other one is with grass edges which would make it look really awkward on the second level of the mountain. Same with the rock edges, except they remain the same no matter what tileset is used. But I may try to see if I can fix it, but thanks for the rating. ^^

Spoiler:

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years
I have to say I love the tiles you used, also your maps from my perspective are playable. The only thing that bothers me is the sideways stairs being a bit off, but other than that, this map is great! =) You should continue in mapping and possibly more.

Edit: Hehe, I forgot the rating. 10/10

Also here's my map from the last page, I got skipped again. ^^'
Please rate!
okay,my first time rating a G\S/C map,just to ask;you can change tiles,right?
if yes:
Spoiler:
if no,just scrap the bigger tree part;a 7/10.
Now for my map:
Spoiler:

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
okay,my first time rating a G\S/C map,just to ask;you can change tiles,right?
if yes:
Spoiler:
if no,just scrap the bigger tree part;a 7/10.
Now for my map:
Spoiler:

thats the first time ive seen a mountain being used like that, and i noticed the other map you made with the stacked rocks, you make pretty extraordinary maps, which is pretty good, ok so let me review this:

first off, the mountain at the top of the map is too straight, you might want to fix that, the spot with dark water looks kind of weird there, maybe add some more dark spots,(at first i thought it was shading, you could have used it around the bridges so it looks like the ground is on a higher level) and the piece of sand at the water doesn't look right as well, but besides that its a great map and i really liked it because of the bridge, i give this map a 9/10

map name: route 1
rom base: fire red
Hack: pokemon raging fury
comments: at the bottom of the map, there is a forest, and the player goes upward from the forest (forest entrance is those two small flower things)

Last edited:

marcc5m

what
Years
This whole page is making me cringe with all of the lazy reviews. People, the first page states what sort of ratings are not acceptable. "10/10 wow very good best I've ever seen omg" is not going to help ANYONE improve. So let's get some proper reviews out there.

caution huge map
Spoiler:

Big straight square for a border contrasting into trees scattered all over the place does not look good. The trees seem just randomly placed to fill up space, and even then there's still a lot of empty space. Particularly in the actual city part of the map. The houses and labs (why so many labs?) Are all too spaced out. The parts at the right and the bottom don't have enough lampposts in comparison to the rest. Sandy paths are really straight and pointless, and the flower and shrub placement is very bad. Again, just scattered carelessly. Also that Gym looks a little lonely down there :\. And the shadows I think are far too big, just like the map. My biggest suggestion would be to make the map much smaller, because big doesn't mean better (except for some things but that's offtopic), so make it smaller and you won't have to scatter things all over the place to fill up empty space. Oh, and sideways stairs don't really work on advance generation hacks :\.

now my map:
Spoiler:

Again, bigger than it needs to be. You have gotten better with the random tree placement, but the right and the bottom still seem really empty, and will have border errors. Why is there rocks in the forest? They seem pretty pointless, and why you have a gave slapped on to one of the trees is beyond me. Flowers, shrubs, tree trunks, mushrooms, water...they all seem such randomly placed. And the sandy paths have the same problem as your other map. Again, make the map smaller so you won't have to try and scatter stuff everywhere to fill space.

Time for my maps

Despite being natural styled, I really like these two maps. I don't know what iy is, but I do. Watch out for the sideways steps though.

thats the first time ive seen a mountain being used like that, and i noticed the other map you made with the stacked rocks, you make pretty extraordinary maps, which is pretty good, ok so let me review this:

first off, the mountain at the top of the map is too straight, you might want to fix that, the spot with dark water looks kind of weird there, maybe add some more dark spots,(at first i thought it was shading, you could have used it around the bridges so it looks like the ground is on a higher level) and the piece of sand at the water doesn't look right as well, but besides that its a great map and i really liked it because of the bridge, i give this map a 9/10

map name: route 1
Hack: pokemon raging fury
comments: at the bottom of the map, there is a forest, and the player goes upward from the forest (forest entrance is those two small flower things)

I can't find the entrance. Or is it the end? The answer depends on how you look at life. Lol but seriously the entrance needs to be more visible. Sandy paths seem too random and straight, and the tree placement is going to look awkward when the player is near the edges. The only other problem I can think of is that it seems to big. Not big and empty, just...big.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew, time for a couple o' my own maps now. Let's just hope I get a better rating/review than most of the ones on this page xD.
Also first post in this thread in May.

Map Name: Chroma Town
Map Game: Pokemon ________ edition (fill in the blanks and it can be whatever you want)
Credits: http://altariaking.deviantart.com/journal/39772944/
Comments: First Town of my hack, Pokemon ________. Player's house at bottom right, rival's house at top left, lab at right, and NPC's house at bottom left. Here you get your first Pokemon, encounter the evil team doing evil stuff, and start of your Pokemon adventure, to become the champion of the Duoso region! Awesome, right? Also the player can't see the sea (lol) or the part at the right, which is why I didn't bother too much there.
Map:
Spoiler:

Map Name: Route A
Map Game: Pokemon ________
Credits: See above
Comments: Refer to the last time I showed this map. Cba finding it, so don't be lazy like me.
Map:
Spoiler:

E.C.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
This whole page is making me cringe with all of the lazy reviews. People, the first page states what sort of ratings are not acceptable. "10/10 wow very good best I've ever seen omg" is not going to help ANYONE improve. So let's get some proper reviews out there.

Big straight square for a border contrasting into trees scattered all over the place does not look good. The trees seem just randomly placed to fill up space, and even then there's still a lot of empty space. Particularly in the actual city part of the map. The houses and labs (why so many labs?) Are all too spaced out. The parts at the right and the bottom don't have enough lampposts in comparison to the rest. Sandy paths are really straight and pointless, and the flower and shrub placement is very bad. Again, just scattered carelessly. Also that Gym looks a little lonely down there :\. And the shadows I think are far too big, just like the map. My biggest suggestion would be to make the map much smaller, because big doesn't mean better (except for some things but that's offtopic), so make it smaller and you won't have to scatter things all over the place to fill up empty space. Oh, and sideways stairs don't really work on advance generation hacks :\.

Again, bigger than it needs to be. You have gotten better with the random tree placement, but the right and the bottom still seem really empty, and will have border errors. Why is there rocks in the forest? They seem pretty pointless, and why you have a gave slapped on to one of the trees is beyond me. Flowers, shrubs, tree trunks, mushrooms, water...they all seem such randomly placed. And the sandy paths have the same problem as your other map. Again, make the map smaller so you won't have to try and scatter stuff everywhere to fill space.

Despite being natural styled, I really like these two maps. I don't know what iy is, but I do. Watch out for the sideways steps though.

I can't find the entrance. Or is it the end? The answer depends on how you look at life. Lol but seriously the entrance needs to be more visible. Sandy paths seem too random and straight, and the tree placement is going to look awkward when the player is near the edges. The only other problem I can think of is that it seems to big. Not big and empty, just...big.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew, time for a couple o' my own maps now. Let's just hope I get a better rating/review than most of the ones on this page xD.
Also first post in this thread in May.

Map Game: Pokemon ________ edition (fill in the blanks and it can be whatever you want)
Comments: First Town of my hack, Pokemon ________. Player's house at bottom right, rival's house at top left, lab at right, and NPC's house at bottom left. Here you get your first Pokemon, encounter the evil team doing evil stuff, and start of your Pokemon adventure, to become the champion of the Duoso region! Awesome, right? Also the player can't see the sea (lol) or the part at the right, which is why I didn't bother too much there.
Map:
Spoiler:

Comments: Refer to the last time I showed this map. Cba finding it, so don't be lazy like me.
Map:
Spoiler:

for the first map, add some rocks on the water, although no one will see most of the bottom part of the map, so scratch that out, your tree placement is well, just regular, nintendo style, can't say much about that.
the second map looks really good for a small route, simple, and looks awesome, i give the first a 9/10 and the second a 9/10 as well.

hack: pokemon raging fury
comments: one of the towns in the hack.

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Map:
Spoiler:

Map:
Spoiler:
First off I must say I agree with what you said. There are WAY too many 9/10 and 10/10 rating in this thread as of late. A lot of these "10/10" maps are riddled with errors and such,

The first map is pretty cool I guess. What's really putting me off in the style of the mountains, they just don't look at all like Pokemon styled mountains and are very dark. The Lab is HUGE must have taken up a buttload of block space but it seems worth it since the lab looks amazing. The little pond to the east is a nice touch. The mailboxes are a little too big. What are the green things behind the northernmost house's mailbox

Rating: 7/10

The second map is awesome. It's nice and short, good for a first route. It reminds me a lot of route 101 of Hoenn. The signs are pretty cool too, but the bushes are meh, kind of ugly.

Rating: 9/10

for the first map, add some rocks on the water, although no one will see most of the bottom part of the map, so scratch that out, your tree placement is well, just regular, nintendo style, can't say much about that.
the second map looks really good for a small route, simple, and looks awesome, i give the first a 9/10 and the second a 9/10 as well.

hack: pokemon raging fury
comments: one of the towns in the hack.
There is alot going on here. I like the little dirt spot you put in front of the houses just like R/S/E. What I don't like is the Pokemart tiles. To be blunt they're just ugly. The forward facing benches look good, placed quite nicely. The sideways facing ones however don't look as good. They look randomly placed, more specifically the nothernmost bench looks out of place. The wooden posts look out of place too, they're kind of just there. The signpost box looks weird too, it looks more like a box as opposed to a signpost. Otherwise everything looks ok to me.

Rating: 6.5/10

Alomar

Follow me on Twitter @Daubs
Years
Map:
Spoiler:

OK. that lab is B.A. I feel its pointless for all that sea and area to the right if the player can't see any of it. that just wastes space. the log is kinda random by the edge of the cliff. the cliff with all the rocks makes the cliff seem less like a cliff and seems like gradual decline instead. the mini pond looks nice/path does it etc. 8/10

Map:
Spoiler:

IMO the route is way too short. but good that you force the player through the grass atleast. since its so small the two signs feel clustered to me. 6/10

okay now.

map name : Arbor Town
rom : FR
hack : Pokemon Amber
comments : town with the second gym in the valley of a forest. route to the left is a water route, east is more forest. the town and surrounding has stone road because theyve heavily industrialized the forest, weather facility in the top right. pretty basic
Spoiler:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
OK. that lab is B.A. I feel its pointless for all that sea and area to the right if the player can't see any of it. that just wastes space. the log is kinda random by the edge of the cliff. the cliff with all the rocks makes the cliff seem less like a cliff and seems like gradual decline instead. the mini pond looks nice/path does it etc. 8/10

IMO the route is way too short. but good that you force the player through the grass atleast. since its so small the two signs feel clustered to me. 6/10

okay now.

map name : Arbor Town
rom : FR
hack : Pokemon Amber
comments : town with the second gym in the valley of a forest. route to the left is a water route, east is more forest. the town and surrounding has stone road because theyve heavily industrialized the forest, weather facility in the top right. pretty basic
Spoiler:
This is map is extremely square. Too square in fact. Also it looks like you're using only one grass tile. For a town with a gym and weather institute it is extremely small. There's only one house, and for a town that small I don't see why there's a Pokemart & PokeCenter. That's about all I have to say about it.
Rating: 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back