• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ew! It's a girl.

franko94

Master Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2013
I don't like the gender division because, I usually just catch whatever I see first and my party ends up being mostly male. Then I end up getting to the Elite Four and someone keeps using Attract and ****ing me over (I'm looking at you Phoebe).

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
Back in Gen 2, I got mostly males because I knew back then that they had higher attack IVs. That was the only reason really.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I always, always, always have to have female Pokemon. I'm very Poke-sexist :(

Even the "typically male" Pokemon have to be female, like Machamp and Mr. Mime. Although I always name my Mr. Mimes "Mrs. Mime" and Geodude is usually "Geogal"

OmegaTL

Time Lord
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I couldn't care less about the gender...
Well, except for Machamp and Gardevoir. I don't think I need to say any more on that matter.

BourbonWhiskey

Pokemon Trainer Since 1998
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 2, 2017
I always pick Pokemon that are male whenever I play a specific Pokemon game, BUT when I have seen Snivy of Ash (I aways pictured Snivy as male before Pokemon Black/White was released), I said to myself: "Woah! Now that is smexy cool!"

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 14, 2017
The gender of my Pokemon doesn't matter to me, I love them regardless LOL
Though usually I'll try to make my team half boys and half girls, if I can. I just like having an equal amount.
But it's kind of funny, the whole "masculine-looking Pokemon should be male, vice versa" thing because I have a male Skitty and he's one of my favourites.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Hm, koff~

I like some of the starter Pokemon to be female. Certain Pokemon learn the same moves at earlier levels in their pre-evolved forms, so I can get the moves I want through breeding fairly quickly. I don't think I notice much. I don't really use 'gender specific' type Pokemon, so they could be either male or female. It also depends on how the male/female forms look. Sharpedo for instance, I like that cut on the dorsal fin, so I'd like it to be male, while carvanha is male or female. However there are some with the opposite, like my koffings tend to be male and weezing tends to be female, koffi~

Other than that, I have no issues with male or female Pokemon, as I need them both for breeding.

Years
wow I thought I was the only one!
I catch only male Pokemon. There are few exceptions, like Jinx but in general, I catch noly male Pokemon. I have no idea why though.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
Most of my teams have ended up 50% Male, 50% Female (surprisingly no genderless, ever). Most of the time I intentionally pick a gender based on what I view the Pokemon as being (example I always pick female Roserades). Sometimes I'll catch either gender and adjust my nicknames to fit the Pokemon; usually I do this for rarer Pokemon that are time consuming to hunt.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2014
I generally don't care about gender, except on Manly Pokemon like Machamp and Blastoise, and Feminine Pokemon like Gardevoir and Gothitelle (I just got a Gothitelle on my Randomizer Nuzlocke, but it's a guy :( At least it has a Modest nature, I guess...)

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
Years
I honestly don't care if I have more males/females on my team, but if the Pokemon looks very masculine/feminine (Lopunny, Gardevoir, Machamp, etc.) I want it to be male/female.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I don't really care about genders in the game. I mean if I have a boy and a girl I'll most likely take the girl... not any reason why, I just would.
777ff663.gif

I honestly don't care if I have more males/females on my team, but if the Pokemon looks very masculine/feminine (Lopunny, Gardevoir, Machamp, etc.) I want it to be male/female.

Oh yea, and this. I wouldn't want a female Machamp
rip_zpsec10ede9.gif

Last edited:

yungdialysis

shoutout to britney spears
Years
When i was young i didn't want female pokemon. So i think that's why it just doesn't feel right to have a female pokemon for me nowadays. Unless some times when it made sense if the pokemon was female and one exception: once i had a female dragonite in fire red and she was really strong i have her in my black team right now.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
Wow, and I practically thought I was the only one until I stumbled upon this huge thread! :'D

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Depending on how the Pokémon looks.

I will never willfully have a female Geodude in my party.

I will never willfully have male Jynx (if it's even possible)

Male Budews? (Nope)

Female Mr. Mime? U srs.

Sonatron

Face of Rubber
Years
It depends on the Pokémon for me, some of them sort of suit being male or female. Most of my teams are usually like 90-100% male though.

Back