• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need tips

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
I'd say fire but that'd be kinda deadly..

Why can't you deal with ice? o.O

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Sand was used once in a League battle. It made for some interesting attack styles, because those who used Take Down couldn't get much traction for some real power, and moves like Fissure couldn't work either. It was interesting.

I remember once, for a Psychic battle, I used a room surrounded by mirrors. Probably broke the laws of science in the process. But I had the Psychic waves bounce off the mirrors so the opposing Pokemon couldn't escape. Until the Pokemon broke the mirrors, of course.

But really, the old stand-bys are Rock, Grass, Water, and Ice. (The first two are seen more. A lot more.) But if you don't want to deal with Ice, you should take a look at what Pokemon are going to be battling, and make an arena that's more difficult for them to battle in. Or make the trainers have to think quickly to come up with strategies.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I think sand will suit best.
I don't want to use ice, because my fighters are very speed oriented and I can't have them slipsliding around because that would make the already long battle much longer.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Sand would be cool.. though the ice would probably make it more interesting.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
o_O What type of name? A title for your fic? Or a name for one of your characters.

I'm hoping it's the first one. But I'll hold back advice until you post again, so that I can give coherent helpful advice.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
yeah, its for a title.

And that thread doesn't exactly help with MY story...:P

I'll see if I can't think of something.
I'm looking for one with a double meaning, one deeper and one more literal, since most of my chapter names have that.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
yeah, its for a title.

And that thread doesn't exactly help with MY story...:P

I'll see if I can't think of something.
I'm looking for one with a double meaning, one deeper and one more literal, since most of my chapter names have that.

Unless I really can't read, I thought there was at least 2 tips to get one for any story, not just for the person someone was asking.

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2012
Adventures are cliché'd too much, so you must spice things up a bit, with master plots, and sub-plots, and obstacles, mental and physical. Make it something original. And I heard that you got inspired by... some fanfic, so I guess I could help too. Remember, if it's cliché, it's not too original. So make it something special, I have high hopes of it.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Heh, thanks for the tips. I made a sub plot, luckily. I think with some time and thinking I could make another one. But once I finish the Hoenn league part I could incorporate a new...not gym seeking plot...

*edit* I came up with an idea.

I also sometimes add a bit of medical drama genre in a few chapters. I've always been interested in medicine, and I tried to make the parts fast paces so that it wouldn't get boring.

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2012
A master plot?

take mine for example.
Sub-plot: Champ is stranded in the middle of the desert, with Treecko still missing...
Master plot: Dach is trying to take over Orre, but something is trying to make him remember what his original objective was...

Read mine a little more closely to see what I mean.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
I'm thinking of posting the first chapter very soon but I'm feeling a bit self conscious. :P I'll get to it sometime, by the end of tomorrow.

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
Years
Really all journeyfics have 'master plots', so I'd recommend not doing it for once, and just have one sub-plot. In the traditional, real-world sense, where a sub-plot is like a romantic interest or something that parallels the main action of the character and climaxes a bit before the main plot climaxes.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023
Oh, I did do that. I'm only really doing the whole 'conquer the gym' thing in the first part because I needed to get my character up and moving. Plus it added to action and character developement. I'm definately going to edit and add more substance to part one than just that. And I already wrote the "conquer the gyms" thing so it's too late to delete it without scrubbing the rest of my story.

I have a question: How long should one wait in between posting chapters?

Last edited:

Enperuto

Lurking Connoisseur
Years
Oh, I did do that. I'm only really doing the whole 'conquer the gym' thing in the first part because I needed to get my character up and moving. Plus it added to action and character developement. I'm definately going to edit and add more substance to part one than just that. And I already wrote the "conquer the gyms" thing so it's too late to delete it without scrubbing the rest of my story.

I have a question: How long should one wait in between posting chapters?

A week is usually the minimum. And those that do it (I included) usually have shorter chapters with more errors. Of course, that's with the 'post as you write' mentality. If you have it all written and partially revised / do that before you post, a week would be good, but not fewer. Even time periods and consistent days for posting chapters are musts.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, but if you post every two or three days that means that you have three new chapters in a week. And let's say that your readers all have school/work/other activities that keeps them busy during the week. They'll fall behind trying to read all your chapters. It's much easier to post once a week, making sure that the majority of your readers will have a week to read and review.

Besides, I know many writers who take months to write a chapter. xD Their stories do get pushed down, buried under the new threads, but their readers come back for more. It's worth the wait. Your chapters will have a good quality to them because you can take the time to edit them and possibly improve them based on the reviews of your readers.

*cough* Ranger O'Brien, I'm waiting for your chapter. >0

Back