• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has Scald took over surf?

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Got me thinking really, Does the 30 percent burn rate of Scald make it more attractive then Surf now? Example Starmie, weak defence, would people now think scald is a more safer option to surf.

Surf can hit multiple pokemon but even your own.

Personally i reckon Scald has took over surf for me!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
First of all it hasn't necessarily become more popular, just the fact that it has a nice burn rate, helps to burn things, a powerful move that would usually be STAB with a nice burn is good.

No one plays Doubles/Triples competitively so, yeah, the Surf drawback isn't a worry, only for nubs.

That's your opinion, some people prefer still using a solid 95 BP move over an 80 BP with a 30% burn rate.

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
I am thinking of using Scald over Surf for Starmie

Some reason i like to play safe and with Starmie's average defence it can work, but as you say surf is still powerful with Stab and its better to faint there pokemon then burn them.

I really dont know what to pick, the fact i will be double battling is spurring me to Scald as the other partners wont be too good against water, but then gain can work with special wall.

I dont know, hmm :S

DayDreamer

Pokemon Gamer
Years
I prefer Scald. Chance of burn is good back up if they decide to switch to a water resistant type in hopes of countering.

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Yeah, i think Scald offers more protection with the attack halfed which could actually end up killing baton passers or dragon dancers, though ice beam is actually enough for garchomp with the evs anyway.

Thanks for the advice, i think ill go with scald, not a popular attack for Starmie and as you said can suprise some on switching out with the burn.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Scald is more useful for defensive pokemon.

Surf is pretty much obsolete except for accuracy freaks, since Hydro Pump is more or less better in all instances.

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Yeah i think i would come under Accuracy freak as well =P i have terrible luck hit at all with power moves like Hydro Pump or Fire Blast, it seems like i only hit 1 is 3 which is actually pretty sucky.

I guess then i go for more reliable attacks!

What do you think would be better for lets say Starmie? Surf or Scald?

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Hydro Pump is superior, otherwise you're walled by the universe. Starmie needs as much power as it can get.

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Yeah as for any sweepers, you reckons its much better to rely on luck and to hit harder? PP is also a main factor for me, but i think i have plenty of pp ups.

I think i go for Hydro Pump or Thunder or Thunderbolt or Scald, i dont think it would be too wise to have a sweeper with too many un accurate moves!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
When deciding between Surf, Hydro Pump, and Scald, you've gotta take into consideration several things: firstly, does the Pokemon actually benefit from the burn? Starmie, as an example, could possibly benefit from the burn. It could cut down the attack of something trying to Pursuit it like Tyranitar and then Recover off the damage. However, if the burn doesn't occur, Starmie is royally screwed into spamming Recover to stay alive or try for Scald again for a parting shot at Tyranitar. Surf/Hydro Pump provide power, albeit without the power to burn and a slight drop in accuracy in Hydro Pump's case. The thing with Scald is, imo, a Pokemon that should use it is a Pokemon that can not only use it effectively to take out potential threats, but should have the bulk to be able to use it until it becomes effective (burns them). Suicune and Jellicent are perfect examples of what I'm talking about.

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Yea i understand that if you think like it mathematically in your case, a 30 percent chance of burn is worse then a 80 percent chance of a powerful Hydro Pump which can see of Tyranitar.

Ok Vrai you helped me a bunch with my decision! :D

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
Years
Not IMO. I still use Surf. None of my Pokemon even know scald. And I tend to just power down something then give it a status condition.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
I only use Scald for bulky waters. As Vrai said. Like Suicune or Jellicent who really benefits from this move, as they can take lots of hits while still spamming off Scald to get a Burn effect .

For sweeping uses? This move just doesn't cut it for me. You have Surf and Hydro Pump, which pack more power. Sure the burn effect is nice, but for sweepers that isn't necessary, sweepers need all the power they can get so they effectively take down opponents.

Bottomline:
Scald + Defensive play? = Perfect match.
Scald + Offensive play? = Pass.

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Yea all right, i learnt something new now, im gonna go for Hydro Pump but i aint sure what item to use.

I am thinkings of using recover with Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, i think that is good enough range.

Thanks all! :D

blue

gucci
Years
Well yeah, Scald has proven to be a popular move, but taking over Surf? I don't think so, although the Burn 30% chance does make it really intresting so I'm undecided, I'm a big fan of Surf :P I haven't tried Scald out all too much so I will. What's the power of it btw?

Cradily

Fossil merchant
Years
Its 80 but as others said, sweepers are more suited to rely on better power so the better powerful moves would be better! :D

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Yeah, I'll always go with Surf/Hydro Pump. Unless I'm using Jellicent--or even Suicune to an extent, because Jellicent is much more of a defensive Pokemon and I think Scald will suit it fine.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Scald is often seen on bulky Water sets rather than pure attacking sets. If an offensive Water Pokemon like Starmie or Politoed opts for Scald over Surf, then they won't like the drop in power. Those Pokemon are better off with Surf or Hydro Pump for their STAB. Bulky Water Pokemon like Jellicent, Milotic or Suicune are better with Scald because they support the team by spreading burn around.

Soul_Silver_pkmnbreeder

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2011
It really is situational. Bulky pokemon benefit from Scald, and Suicides or Attackers prefer Surf. I personally have access to Hydro Pump, but it's my Salamence that uses it, not a water type.

Back