• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Shiny Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Hey,
So the new item to be in B/W2 is the Shiny Charm that you get after capturing all of the pokemon in the national dex to reduce the chance and a random shiny encounter.

What do people think?
is it worth capturing every single for pokemon for this one item.

opinions below

#isthenumbersign
Years
I think it's worth it. People have done it in previous games for less reward. It kinda sucks though, because if I get the Shiny Charm, it's not like I'm going to be looking for any more Pokemon haha.

Years
I have to say it's worth it, cos it's encouraging more people to complete the Pokedex. However, if I ever achieved such a goal I wouldn't use it anyway since I don't care much for shinies.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
For twice the chance (read: still practically none) simply to get a palette-swap... no.
Completing the 'dex is its own reward for some people, that's not up to me, but I don't think the item makes it worthwhile.

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2015
Uh, no. I can't get EVERY Pokemon just to get more Pokemon shiny. Also, finding a shiny wouldn't mean as much if you have the item.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I think its a nice treat for people, I just think that you should be able to get it for another accomplishment. I mean, completing the dex to get it is weird because since you caught them all, whats the point of looking for the same pokemon just with a different color? Idk, its weird to me. I do like the idea of the item though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I personally like shinies, so Im really excited that they have this now. Im gonna fill my Pokedex just for this reward, I expect it to take quite a long time, lol XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's lots of encouragement. I can RNG though, so it's not of use to me, however, it would probably help with wild RNG (not sure if RNG reporter accounts for the Shiny Charm though, but I would assume it does?) so it's still interesting. I was probably gonna try to completely my National Dex anyway, just for the fun of it, so I'll end up getting it eventually. :) It'll be nice to have a better chance of finding a random shiny though, yes!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
This item sounds awesome, but it would be a lot more feasible if there were still only 251 Pokemon. Trying to get 649 just to increase the chance to get a shiny Pokemon that...
1) Might not be the one you'd want?
2) Would require extensive training in a game you've already trained the [bleep] out of
3) Probably won't appear anyway

This basically just rewards busywork with even more busywork. Yay, I get to keep my job of being teh very best liek no1 eva wuz just cuz I wanna get teh shinies becuz they r neato!

Words cannot express how stupid I just made myself look.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
It's something I would never be able to get because I have never completed a national pokedex but it's a nice item. Just wish the requirements were easier haha.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
Eh...that's something I won't be able to achieve for my entire life..hmph...complete national pokedex T_T

It's quite more encouraging, better than a simple diploma of some sort like previous game. It isn't worth it for me though...if it was a shiny AND maxed IVs, then probably yes, that would make things so unique.

And btw, how much does this item make shinies easier to encounter? Like, what will be the percentage.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2023
Eh...that's something I won't be able to achieve for my entire life..hmph...complete national pokedex T_T

It's quite more encouraging, better than a simple diploma of some sort like previous game. It isn't worth it for me though...if it was a shiny AND maxed IVs, then probably yes, that would make things so unique.

And btw, how much does this item make shinies easier to encounter? Like, what will be the percentage.

I think it goes up to 33%

Red99

World Champion
Years
I think the Shining Charm is a great reward for people who can complete the National Pokedex, mainly just because I enjoy catching Pokemon for fun. It's better than getting a diploma,or something like that.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
It isn't bad, but still, even after the multiplication and probably adding up with the Masuda Method, I don't think it'd be great. Unless if two would stack up with the Masuda Method as well, it isn't great...and anyways, with the whole RNG abuse bit of eggs removed, it's hard to get Shiny Pokemon from it, even with the boost. But at least they did this, and it isn't so bad. At least the chances were boosted.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I actually think it's a great reward. Even if you have all the Pokemon, you still may want more--for example, if I had a Mienfoo but then came across a shiny, I'd still want to catch the shiny! Also, if you're even a semi-competitive battler, you'd be breeding a lot of Pokemon to try to get a good nature. Combine this with the Oval Charm and the Masuda Method and you might have a shiny that's competition-worthy! I also know many "shiny hunters" who stalk the tall grass of certain routes looking for a specific shiny Pokemon because they love their alternate color so much (I know I'm guilty of soft-resetting on legendaries for their shinies, too).

For me, the game doesn't instantly end after completing the PokeDex. Especially since in B2W2 there's a lot of post-game content, I'd still have lots to engage in after my PokeDex is completed, so I'd definitely be glad to have the Shiny Charm.

In SoulSilver I completed my national PokeDex just for the sake of completing it, but it was still lame that in the end all I got was a diploma that I didn't even know how to view again. Maybe to some people it isn't enough of an incentive, but to someone who already has the drive to complete the PokeDex, which is a big reward in and of itself, the Shiny Charm just makes it better! I wouldn't say it's the absolute best of rewards but to me it's still a great one.

dphoenix84

Fashion Designer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Oct 22, 2012
i personally think its great, and play on getting it.... for some of the pokemon i like to use would be shiny, all my pokemon would be blue! :D

Years
At first I thought it was worth it....but after I would get it? I wouldnt really be searching for any kind of pokemon when it is still difficult to find them shiny even after you have it.. :/

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2013
I never played B2W2 but it might be cool to have this charm i would just want my favorite shiny pokemon like ponyta and blitzle

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Years
well while trying to complete the dex back in soul silver i did find a shiny hoothoot. and that was cool. so maybe if i try to fill this dex ill get another shiny and then ill get the charm afterwards

also do you get the charm for seeing al pokemon in the game or do you have to catch em all, so to speak

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back