• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your most embarrassing Pokemon nicknames

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
Piplup

So Piplup was my first starter ever, okay? I really liked it in the anime plus it was really cute, so I NEEDED it. Since it (Diamond) was my first pokemon game and I watched the anime prior to getting it, I was used to pokemon saying their names when let out of it's pokeball. However this wasn't the case with the games. So instead of saying Piplup, my first pokemon ever chanted the mystifying phrase of "Nu-He-Ha" (or at least that's what it sounds like). So my stupid 11 year old self decided to name it that, so saying "Nu-He-Ha" would make sense by anime logic. I did trade it (when it was a Freakin' Bad-A$$ level 100 Empoleon) for a......... for a level 22 Piplup with some weird Japanese name.

Also I let my friend borrow my copy of Leaf Green for a bit, and I ended up with two Pikachus, who's names are so sexually inappropriate I won't even dare to say them.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
Years
I often get comments about how hilarious my nicknames are. For example, Zubat line is "Batass" and female Skitty is "Uselessie." Deoxys is "Mewthree" and Horsea is "Giddyup" and so on. PM or VM me if you want to competitive battle with me on Black2, and you'll see some good ones. I used cheats to catch two Mew that are named "Slave1" and "Slave2" and I shouldn't have to explain to you why.

One time in Yellow way back in the day, I really wanted to catch another Rhyhorn (had it already), and I gave it a nickname that cracked me up. Long story short, that became my password for some online accounts.

I've recently started playing the French versions of 4th and 5th gen games. There, I follow a similar pattern and nickname things with French puns I made up that fit the Pokémon. I have yet to see how people will react to them in Wifi battles.

Years
Decided to pop in my FireRed which I started way back when, and was treated to some nicknames like Phantastic the Donphan and Yomanma the Yanma. I probably had a lot more that were facepalm worthy back on my original Sapphire and Gold save files, but those have been gone for years now.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Let's just take a moment to consider what I named my Empoleon back when I was about seven or eight.

iCanFly

ICANFLY

PENGUINS CAN'T EVEN FLY WHAT IS THIS LOGIC.

As for why I called it that, I'm not exactly sure. The lowercase 'i' was pretty popular back then in nicknames and I thought it'd be funny to name my Empoleon after something it can't do. And voila iCanFly. Maybe it was there just to make my Empoleon sound impressive or maybe I was trying to be funny. I have no idea what goes inside my eight year old mind but either way I'd gladly rename it any day. I also called my Staraptor, Dinner. And KFC at one point. I was trying to have a little joke with myself. Either way all of my nicknames back then were absolutely awful. Dark Queen, Light Bulb, the list goes on and on. I just hate looking back on them, they're awful. XD

Nakala Pri

Well, I called my Emboar Teacup, which was cute but looking back at it, its pretty childish.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
The granddaddy of bad name stories. So, I had a habit of attaching -y or -i to Pokemon names, so Lotad became Loti, Torchic would be Torchy, etc. Well, when I caught a Rhyhorn, Rhyy and Rhyi just didn't work, so instead I took the latter half of the name, Horn. And that became Horny the Rhyhorn. I was really confused why my friend thought the name was so funny, so when she was laughing at it, I figured it must not be a good word so I changed it to Conifer. When she FINALLY told me what it meant, I was relieved I changed the name lol.

I still have this Rhyhorn, btw. Been a Rhydon for years. This was 10 years ago, man. Gettin' old.

Something smillar happened to me, when I was a toddler.
I caught a Meowth in Gen I and gave it a name that I did not know was a dirty word at that time.
That name starts with the letter P. Hahaha!

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
"Geodick" - Geodude
"Iiiiigh" - Aerodactyl
"Fagnemite" - Magnemite
"Dilduo" - Doduo
"Mushroom" - Paras
"Psyf*ck" - Psyduck
"12/21/12" Diglett
"Craprass" - Lapras
"King-hit" Gyarados
"Sooezar" Pidgeotto

Last edited:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Failtran - Heatran
**** you Scizor - Heatran
**** you Terrakion - Cobalion
MLP SUCKS!!!!!! - Keldeo
RAWR - Weavile
Blowing? - Accelgor
#Jirachi4Uber2013 - Latios

and so on

NintendoFreezey

→ Stay frosty!
Years
Most embarrassing pokemon name would probably have to be my snorlax on Blue, Red, Green
He was simply known as "Cheeks" I was a kid I thought it was the funniest name ever...

Don't judge me lololol

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
Years
Oh, sweet Arceus, help me.

I dug deep down into the PC Boxes of a used Platinum game. Oh, the horrors!

Except for his team of six level one Mime Jr.'s, his entire PC consisted of Mr. Mimes. All of the nicknamed "Lavender". Possibly in reference to Lavender Town and all of the creepy myths surrounding it?

Possibly. But alas, we shall never know...

Years
  • Age 35
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 22, 2014
When I played Crystal when I was a kid, I named my Noctowl "Nightmare" and my Donphan "Big Nose". I never nickname my Pokemon now though.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
One run of Leaf Green I nicknamed every Pokemon I caught after Lord of the Rings characters. It's not so much embarrassing as it is awesome, but you get the point. Not sure how I decided to name my starter "Eomer" and not like "Frodo" or "Gandalf."

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
I named my very first Pokemon (Cyndaquil in Crystal) "Fire Dude" but renamed him to "Blaze" once I got to Goldenrod City. Now, Blaze is my trademark Pokemon, which I seriously duplicated exactly, stat-4-stat, move-4-move, and pretty much everything-4-everything, and put it in Emerald. Then I duplicated THAT twice and put in Platinum and HeartGold. And I never transferred it to Black because I lost my copy of Black. :( But I think I'm gonna transfer him to White 2 to get him to X. Anyway, Fire Dude is a really dumb name, and he's a Quilava with an Everstone, but still, I found a traded Typhlosion on Diamond with the name FireDude, so maybe it's not TOO crazy.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
Oh, sweet Arceus, help me.

I dug deep down into the PC Boxes of a used Platinum game. Oh, the horrors!

Except for his team of six level one Mime Jr.'s, his entire PC consisted of Mr. Mimes. All of the nicknamed "Lavender". Possibly in reference to Lavender Town and all of the creepy myths surrounding it?

Possibly. But alas, we shall never know...

Oh my god, that is super creepy. It's always interesting to see what you get when you load up a used game... I got a copy of Ruby that was full of Pokemon nicknamed rude words. I felt so bad for them I went to the name rater and changed them all!

I wish I had my original save files from when I was a kid. I replayed those games so many times though, the originals are long gone. I do remember naming my first ever Charmander "Matches", so I always name every Charmander I get with that name, just for nostalgia's sake.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Never did it myself, but basically spell Muk's name backwards and you get a very fitting nickname for it, lol.

Magic Magikarp

Magikarp is terrifying
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
Meh when I was young 3rd gen was the thing, I got a Relicanth on my team
I know, Relicanth but the worst part was his name. That Relicanths name was Rocky >_>
He did some serious damage for a Relicanth though {XD}

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
I named a snorlax BIG MAMA Looool. But think about it. it was a female....it was huuuuuuge.....hmm. shouldve named nidoqueen that as it has O O nvm...

Back