• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atheist Alliance

Years
The Huffington Post likes a good, attention-grabbing headline like that.
"The basic idea is that as people become more affluent, they are less worried about lacking for basic necessities, or dying early from violence or disease. In other words they are secure in their own existence. They do not feel the need to appeal to supernatural entities to calm their fears and insecurities."
We better make sure we stay affluent! But I do see religion waning, and I'm 50/50 hopeful that we'll get to a place where religion doesn't have the strength to influence the rest of society. I can also see religious types getting more radical though.

Epitaph93

Intermediate Digidestined
Years
I've been an atheist for about 7 years, since I was 12. I'm a supporter of same sex rights, even though I'm straight. I grew up in a small christian town in Texas where I'm surrounded by the biggest bigots of the south.

SIGN ME UP!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Welcome Epitaph93! Haha I love your little introduction, that was very well-put.

Scarf said:
I'm 50/50 hopeful that we'll get to a place where religion doesn't have the strength to influence the rest of society.

Only 50/50 hopeful? I'm incredibly hopeful! It seems to me that there is some sort of linear progression going on away from religion and at the same time, towards equality. That's not to say that religion is the exclusive roadblock to equality, but it is certainly a main opponent, judging by the current events in Australia where this week we are seeing Parliament debate same-sex marriage, and it is the religious leaders only who are putting up resistance. They are handing out propaganda at church services, it's disgusting to watch.

They're executing their pull over society, but it's weaker than it was even twenty years ago. I can't see it shifting back the other way.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Welcome!

I agree with you Andy, religion is definitely starting to lose its once strong grip on society rather quickly now with more people going against what they say because of how biased it is (imo). I think as people are becoming more open about their sexuality and people are being more accepting the narrow minded views of christians will be disregarded by more people as well, again weakening the grip on society. I think it'll lead to more equality in the least with same sex marriages being accepted sooner rather than later.

Shining Raichu

Years
I hate to revisit an old topic, but

FrostPhoenix said:
That guy who tried make him break up probably wasn't the best representative of the army. Seriously? Try make someone go to church for it? That's not how you're supposed to live out Christianity :(. You shouldn't help just help people who believe in what you believe.

Do you still believe that was just one bad employee and not representative of the army?

^ That line is a link. Sometimes depending on what style you use it's hard to tell lol

Skillah

Pokemon Fan since 2001.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 17, 2022
Count me in on this club/thread ^_^

My mother was never too religious. But she is a Pagan. So never said "HERE'S A BIBLE, WORSHIP JEEEESUSSSSS." Or tried to get me to be a Pagan. I had the freedom to choose whatever religion I wanted.

For awhile, I was agnostic, because I just didn't know what to believe. But by now, Religion has become a joke for me. I tell all my friends that I worship the "Nyan Cat." Because they think it's stupid to believe in something that's "Not real." LOL.

I've personally seen no reason to believe in a higher power that doesn't support Homosexual love/Homosexuals in general. God's a *****.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
God does support/love homosexuals, it's his followers that don't. Certainly makes it hard to not question its legitimacy though.

Shining Raichu

Years
Welcome coolalex144!

The problem is though, that until God reveals himself in a thunder cloud and says "I love everybody, judge not ye mere mortals" or whatever he'd say, his followers are all we have to go by. And because there are so many of them with so many different views, they're incredibly inconsistent. What God loves and hates, who God is, all of that varies depending on who you talk to.

If all the Christians in the world could get together in a giant room and just work out a consistent story to come up with, maybe the whole thing would be more plausible and religion itself wouldn't seem so flimsy.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I totally agree with Andy, everything seems to contradict.
"Love everyone, hate these people."
"Everyones equal, no gay marriage." etc etc.
I think all the groups of Christianity really needs to get together and work out everything properly. That way they'll all over the board either be with things or against things other then different opinions everywhere!
tl;dr or didnt make sense:
Basically God's followers are God's world and represent his view on the world until he comes and talks to us personally.

Last edited:
Years
I would be more than a little scared if all Christians suddenly agreed on everything. And aren't religious texts supposedly how gods get represented here on planet Earth? Not that they are necessarily better than followers since there are lots of disagreeable bits on a lot of texts and with all the translations, additions, and omissions over the centuries it's hard to know what would have been there originally.

And now, a question: would you date someone who was very religious? (Like, not Jesus Camp religious, but goes to services every week, etc.) Imagine they're someone you got on with really well before answering.

(And if you're religious, would you date someone very atheist?)

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
My mom told me never to marry someone who isn't a Christian, using her relationship with my dad as an example of why I shouldn't. At the time, I took it to heart, but I wouldn't really care one way or the other now. Dating a Christian would probably make me go to church and stuff again, and dating an atheist would probably do the opposite.

Remind me to never write long posts from my phone again. lol

Shining Raichu

Years
Would I date someone with a religion? Absolutely. Would I date somebody very religious? Not a chance in Hell.

I just think it's a recipe for disaster. Religion is a very... contentious issue, and I can't imagine being in an intimate relationship (or to extrapolate, sharing my life) with somebody who disagreed so wholeheartedly on it. I'd like to think we'd both be mature enough not to let it get in the way of our relationship, but I know that's an unrealistic expectation, because there are so many opportunities for it to cause trouble.

The thing about religion, when you're that religious, is that it affects a good chunk of your daily life. There are restrictions on life that accompany it and I wouldn't be comfortable feeling the need to support and facilitate those restrictions and have them impact on my life when I don't agree with them. Then there's the more simple things like what we do on Easter and Christmas, whether we say grace at the table... it would just eat at me. I couldn't do it.

Not to mention also that if somebody were both homosexual and extremely religious, then that person has the potential to be severely messed up and I'm not sure I have it in me to maintain that kind of personality lol.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Would I date someone with a religion? Absolutely. Would I date somebody very religious? Not a chance in Hell.

I couldnt think of a better way to say it myself. If someone was super religious and I was with them it would just cause conflict because I'd disagree with their faith and they would probably talk about it regularly/ have regular religious activities that they would want me to go too. This would just be way to hard for me to handle and I doubt many people would be able to handle a relationship like that..

Years
Here is a tidbit of news.

A high school teacher has bragged in written form about how a student atheist group was blocked from forming at his school, but one of the students there has spread this across the internet and and fired back at how all of this has crossed legal lines and generally shone a bright light on the teacher and school.

It's clearer if you just read about it.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
Here is a tidbit of news.

A high school teacher has bragged in written form about how a student atheist group was blocked from forming at his school, but one of the students there has spread this across the internet and and fired back at how all of this has crossed legal lines and generally shone a bright light on the teacher and school.

It's clearer if you just read about it.

Just to clear up a few things: The teacher wrote the letter to JT (who is the high school organizer for the Secular Student Alliance bragging about stopping the formation of the group. JT, being as awesome as he is, worked out where the school is located and who the teacher is, and went on to tell the school that they're pretty much asking for a lawsuit, as well as completely dismantling everything the teacher wrote in this letter.

Also holy crap, it's been a while since I've been here. Hello everyone!

Shining Raichu

Years
Welcome back Harrison, I remember you!

Man, I've been so distracted these last few days. I've been working and going out a ton (BATMANNNN) and when I'm not working I'm here and people are pulling me every which way... which has led to me having Scarf's post open in a tab for like three or four days and never getting around to actually replying to it lol.

I may have fallen in love with JT. That teacher is a serious dick and the problem is that he's most likely just one symptom of a larger problem. Educators need to be objective and not let their own feelings cloud their judgment. If they can't do that, they need to go work at Dairy Shack... which is where this teacher will most likely end up if JT gets his way :P

My favourite part of the whole article was where he said that if the school keeps jerking him around he'll release the email address and count on us (his lovelies... d'awww) to take care of them for him. I really love that. It's like.. FLY MY PRETTIES, FLY!

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Athiest here. :D

My parents are big into religion. I went to church while growing up until I really took the time to think about why. No government control for meh kthnx.

Shining Raichu

Years
Wonderful, Ooka! I think my favourite kind of atheists are the ones whose parents are uber-religious, because they're always the ones with the best stories :P.

Please do tell if you have any!

And welcome :D

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
I'd love to join this! :D I'm a very strong agnostic atheist, have been for a long while now. So sign me up :D

I'll only fill out one of the things for now since I'm feeling a wee lazy.

What are your opinions on subjects such as same-sex marriage, abortion, the death penalty, and so on? Why?

Same-Sex Marriage:Absopositively! For the exact same reason most other people do xD
Abortion: 100% in favor of legal abortion 100% of the time! Now that one's too controversial for my liking, I'd rather not go into detail why...
Death Penalty: Hm... neutral I guess. I think it's a little bit wasteful. I'm going to sound like a monster but I think those who would be sentenced to the death penalty should be used for medical testing or some other kinds of testing, or used for hard labor. xP

Back