• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] [UPDATED] Pokémon Essentials, version 12.2 - 3rd August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version 12
16th June 2013

Download

It's not a mirage, it really happened!

So what's new?

Animation Inflation
  • Thanks to the All Animations Project, Essentials now has nearly 150 animations! The Animation Editor has also been fiddled with to be a bit more user-friendly, such as being able to preview changes made to a cel. There's support for some new animations like the ball bursts, and places which should show animations now do so.
Keep Movin' Movin' Movin' Movin'
  • The vast majority of bug fixes this time are all about the moves (and a few items and abilities too). They really do make for fascinating reading; you wouldn't have thought they used to be so wrong! There's also a few enhancements too, such as Roost now roosting, EV-enhancing items like Power Anklet now doing something during breeding, and being able to see which Pokémon you can use an evolution stone on.
A Set of Settings
  • Ever wanted to easily edit the contents of a Regional Dex, or make a new one? Come on, you know you have. Well, now you can, and with the keyboard shortcuts (press Z and a direction) it's amazingly quick to do so. You can now also edit a Pokémon species' information via the Editor rather than going into the PBS file itself, and the Visual Editor and terrain tag editor are now more pleasant to use. Some metadata has found its way into the Settings instead (StorageCreator) or just finally died off (TextSkin). Various compiler and editing scripts have been given a behind-the-scenes overhaul to make them more convenient should you want to poke around in them.
Say My Internal Name
  • Any file whose name contains an ID number (e.g. battler sprites, item icons, trainer sprites) can now use an internal name rather than that ID number instead. This has already been done with mail backgrounds and berry tree graphics, and can be useful if you want to reorder the National Dex or items.txt since you won't need to also worry about renaming all the graphics files too - you'll just need to rename them all once first, but there are programs that can do that for you.
Lots of Little Things
  • You can now colour in text according to the player's gender with the new tags /pg and /pog, rather than be stuck with \r and \b. The new trainer comment "Continue" lets you easily make trainers who won't make you black out if you lose to them, and a new Global Switch can stop them from taking any money off you for losing. A trainer's AI skill level is now a separate value to how much money they'll give out (although they're the same unless otherwise specified). A trainer now stops walking immediately when they run into a wall (or the player). This wasn't intentional, but all these things can be used to improve rivals and rival battles. Funny, that.

As usual, there are other things that I've not mentioned. Have a look at the change log on the wiki to find out what's been happening.

Enjoy!

ATTENTION!

Pokémon Essentials version 12.1 has now been released.

It contains fixes for some major bugs that cropped up in v12. Go download it if you want your game to work properly.

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
So the encounters now, I can say have 2 Pokémon appear on 1 map? How can you play with rareness? Nice new update though... Well done :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Huh. Not gonna lie, I though you would wait for X and Y so you could already implement what they're bringing into essentials, although I do understand that you're getting tired of working alone on it. Heh, adding in the new moves, the fairy type, and new pokémon, without graphics, isn't really gonna be that hard, so I can do it by myself. As always, great job, I hadn't even though of including these features you put into it but I can tell that they're extremely helpful.

Maruno

Years
So the encounters now, I can say have 2 Pokémon appear on 1 map? How can you play with rareness? Nice new update though... Well done :)
I'm not sure what you're thinking of. I've just made it rather easier to define a new encounter method - everything you need to edit is now in one place and a bit more flexible (although describing how the method is used and when is another matter as usual).

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
It's okay, it was easy before... But I was just wandering how you defined rareness's and things like that (the 20,20,10,10,5,5,1,1 thing)

Just to add, there's nothing wrong with how the kit is now, it doesn't have to be manipulated to look or feel like XY in any way shape or form... We don't need triple battles and 5vs1 battles etc... Not yet, since some people can still not work out how to do single or double battles... One step at a time, this kit is quality as it was back in v7 or which ever one I came back to... It just keeps getting better.
On a side note, it's really helping me with my scripting knowledge ;)

Maruno

Years
It's okay, it was easy before... But I was just wandering how you defined rareness's and things like that (the 20,20,10,10,5,5,1,1 thing)
The rareness is the relative value of each of those numbers to each other. The species in the spot corresponding to the first number (20) is twice as common as the species in the spot corresponding to the third number (10). Essentials used to assume these numbers added up to 100 (and thus that these numbers acted as percentages), but now you can use any numbers without worrying about the total. For example, you could now have a method whose numbers are [1,1,1], which contains 3 spots, each of which is equally likely to be chosen.

Everything you need to define an encounter method is at the top of the script section PokemonEncounters.

On a side note, it's really helping me with my scripting knowledge ;)
I learned Ruby entirely through playing with Essentials. Ruby's a pleasant language to work with anyway because it's so readable, and it helps when looking at a script that you know what it's supposed to do because you've experienced what it does often enough in Pokémon games.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Oh I see, so an encounter could have 100 spots, and the numbers could all be 1, or one of the numbers could be 80 and the rest 1.. Not that it's any different from having 3,3,3,3,1... Right?

It is an easy language to read, hard to know what needs to be called when though,
If's, when's, case, elsif, else and things like that are easy... return, break and things like that are harder to do, but make the mistake once, learn, maybe get it right first time in future, you won't learn unless you play with it though (that's a dig at people who haven't tried learning) Essentials is definitely a great place to learn since it's almost self explanatory.

A question about nests... I caught a Pidgey on route 1 or 2, whatever, but that means it's in my game, but checking it's nest, it says area unknown... Have I not done something? I've got my map, I've got my encounters, I've defined each area with a point on the map too...

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
Oh I see, so an encounter could have 100 spots, and the numbers could all be 1, or one of the numbers could be 80 and the rest 1.. Not that it's any different from having 3,3,3,3,1... Right?
That... really depends what you're talking about. Examples are probably best.

[5,1,1,1,1,1] has six spots. The first spot will be chosen 50% (5/10) of the time, and the others 10% (1/10) each.
[4,1,1] has three spots. The first spot will be chosen 66.6% (4/6) of the time, and the others 16.6% (1/6) each.
[3,3,3,3,1] has five spots. The last spot will be chosen 7.7% (1/13) of the time, and the others 23.1% (3/13) each.

This is one of those "basic maths skills" things.

A question about nests... I caught a Pidgey on route 1 or 2, whatever, but that means it's in my game, but checking it's nest, it says area unknown... Have I not done something? I've got my map, I've got my encounters, I've defined each area with a point on the map too...
You've done something wrong. If the map you caught the Pidgey on has the MapPosition metadata (all maps should have this), and the Pidgey was a regular wild encounter, then it'll appear in the Pokédex. Make sure you're looking at the correct region map.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
I see that you can now edit Regional Dexes much easier - which is an amazing concept, makes stuff like this easier. My question here, though, is: Where does the information for the new Regional Dexes get stored? I don't see the PBS file for it, so I guess it writes it to something in the data folder?
Also, where are these additional options for customizing encounters? When I look at the encounters menu, it looks the same as it did in previous versions of Essentials.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
but now you can use any numbers without worrying about the total. For example, you could now have a method whose numbers are [1,1,1], which contains 3 spots, each of which is equally likely to be chosen.
Thank you, based Maruno. I recall asking for a more intuitive encounter method definition waaaaay back around the last release, so I'm glad to see that's been taken on board. Looks like I'm gonna have to get back into developing now that Uni is over for the semester.

Maruno

Years
Regional Dexes have always worked the same way. The data taken from the pokemon.txt PBS file is split into several different data files (dexdata being the "misc" one, but there's also attacksRS, eggEmerald, evolutions, metrics and regionals). Why are they split like this? Well, dexdata has a finite amount of space per species (76 bytes) and assumes specific bytes contain specific data, but things like movesets and evolutions are of varying length and couldn't fit in this space anyway, so they needed to go elsewhere.

The new Regional Dex editor alters the regionals data file directly, and then rewrites the pokemon.txt PBS file using the new data. Regional numbers still go in pokemon.txt as they always have.

There's nothing extra to wild encounters. All I've done is make it a bit easier to invent a new encounter method (e.g. LandEvening or Paddling or SuperHeadbutt), but this inventing needs to be done manually in the scripts. What even suggested that there were additional options?

The only addition made to opposing Pokémon is that you can now define the type of Poké Ball an enemy trainer's Pokémon comes in. It's actually also a bit easier to add new properties too if you wanted.

Thank you, based Maruno. I recall asking for a more intuitive encounter method definition waaaaay back around the last release, so I'm glad to see that's been taken on board. Looks like I'm gonna have to get back into developing now that Uni is over for the semester.
I don't recall anyone mentioning/suggesting that. It was just something I noticed while I was looking through the compiler/editor scripts, and decided it wouldn't be difficult to amend.

Stop that.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Code:
Bug fixes:
"Rename player" debug option now works.
The "Your name?" message of choosing the player's name is now translatable.
A partner trainer which the player has named now shows their proper name in battle.
Fixed crash when adding a new trainer in-game or in the External Editor.
In-game trading now actually replaces the old Pokémon with the new one.
Leading zeroes in Pokémon IDs are now shown while trading.
Bug Contest scores are now calculated without crashing the game.
The default Pokédex name "Pokédex" is now used if the name required doesn't exist in the array in Settings.
A bleep is no longer played when looking at the Info/Area/Forms pages in the Pokédex and pressing a direction you can't go in.
Can no longer reorder a Shadow Pokémon's moves.
Fixed crash when choosing a blank PC storage spot from the Purify Chamber.
The Pokémon sprite in the storage screen now mosaics when swapping two Pokémon, and doesn't mosaic when placing a Pokémon down.
Player now dismounts their bicycle when using Fly.
Events now stop animating immediately once they stop moving.
A Pokémon's weight can no longer go below 0.1kg.
Fixed some strange controls in the battle command area.
The critical hit message now can't appear if the attack was blocked by an ability, e.g. Lightningrod.
Fixed confusion animation not showing over the correct Pokémon in some cases.
Fixed some attack animations not involving the target when they should.
"Call" now replaces "Run" in Shadow trainer battles.
After snagging an enemy trainer's Shadow Pokémon, they now switch in another Pokémon (really this time).
Removing a Pokémon from a party during double battles (e.g. by snagging it) may no longer duplicate the last Pokémon in that party if that party's owner has a partner.
Removing a Pokémon from a party during double battles (e.g. by snagging it) may no longer mess up the party index of the other Pokémon in play from that party if that party's owner has no partner.
The animation position "Screen" now works without crashing.
Animation Editor's "Cell Batch" option now lets you choose ranges of cels and frames.
Calmed down the responsiveness of the number range arrows in Animation Editor.
Importing an animation within the Animation Editor now goes to the animation's first frame automatically.
When an animation cel's properties are being edited, a preview of the cel and its changes is now shown (properly).
After using an item on a Pokémon, the quantity in the Bag is updated before returning to the Bag screen.
Items usable in battle but which aren't consumed can now actually be used.
Fixed Big Root's effect.
Poké Flute is now not consumed when used.
Air Balloon now only pops because of damaging attacks.
Sitrus Berry now heals 1/4 of the consumer's total HP.
Amulet Coin and Luck Incense now cannot have their effects stopped by anything once their bearer has entered battle, and now apply to Pay Day's money in wild battles.
Heavy Ball now returns a minimum catch rate of 1.
Shadow Pokémon scent items now work on Shadow Pokémon rather than Pokémon in Hyper Mode.
Shadow Pokémon scent items can now be used in battle (they solely snap Hyper Mode Pokémon back to their senses, due to problems with their regular effects).
Abilities such as Big Pecks now don't work if the stat reduction was self-inflicted.
Simple Beam and Worry Seed now work.
Anticipation now only shudders because of damaging super-effective moves (except Counter et al.) and effective OHKO moves, and not because of Selfdestruct.
Pokémon with the ability Dry Skin no longer lose/gain HP if the weather is negated by Cloud Nine or Air Lock.
Magic Guard no longer prevents Pokémon from being poisoned by Toxic Spikes (although it still prevents the damage as normal).
Forewarn and Frisk now work.
Anger Point no longer applies if the bearer's substitute was hit instead.
Various abilities including Storm Drain no longer work even if their bearer has fainted.
Dry Skin, Volt Absorb and Water Absorb now heal the correct amount when hit by a move of the appropriate type.
Justified, Rattled, Weak Armor, Absorb Bulb and Cell Battery now activate in a more appropriate place.
Stench no longer stacks with the effects of King's Rock/Razor Fang.
Gluttony no longer affects the use of Oran Berry and Sitrus Berry, both of which are now consumed at 50% HP or less.
Hustle now only applies to damaging physical moves.
Moves which hit multiple times in a row now have a separate flinch/additional effect chance for each hit (the effect part is only used by Twineedle).
Moves which alter 2 or more stats in the same way (i.e. raise or lower) now only show the stat change animation once for all of them.
Some moves with variable base power now have a minimum power of 1.
Weather-inducing moves now have animations when used.
Moves with recoil damage now round up rather than down, and no longer do recoil damage if they hit a substitute.
Moves which would hit (damage) more than 1 Pokémon now do 25% less damage to each of them rather than 50%.
Heart Swap now works.
Work Up now targets the user.
Copied moves gained by a Transformed Pokémon now have a max PP of 5.
Thunder Wave is now the only status move with function code 007 which cares about type effectiveness (i.e. Glare now works on Ghost Pokémon).
Twister (function code 78) can now hit Flying/Bouncing/Sky Dropping targets.
Chatter's chance of causing confusion is now up to 10% rather than up to 30%.
"Attract" common animation now also plays when a Pokémon becomes infatuated.
Heal Bell/Aromatheray now show cure messages for the affected Pokémon in battle.
Tweaked Psycho Shift's effect to make more sense.
Defense Curl now shows an animation when used.
Tailwind now lasts for 4 rounds after the one in which it was used.
Rearranged Rollout's code.
Mimic can now not copy a Shadow move, and the mimicked move now has full PP.
Sketch can now not copy a Shadow move.
Conversion now ignores itself when looking for a new type.
Conversion 2 now considers the target's last used attack rather than the last attack taken by the user.
Transform and Imposter no longer copy gender or form properties (the transformed appearance is unaffected).
Psywave now uses one of 101 damage multipliers rather than ones of 11.
Metal Burst now deals 1.5x damage rather than 2x.
Pursuit's effect now belongs to function code 88 rather than Pursuit itself.
Stored Power now works.
A Raging Pokémon now shows the StatUp animation when its Rage builds.
Present's healing effect is now affected by type immunities and will cause a Normal Gem to be consumed.
Mud Sport and Water Sport now weaken their moves to 1/3 power rather than 1/2, and fail if any battler has used it already (not just the user).
Lock-On/Mind Reader now fail if the target has a substitute.
Foresight/Odor Sleuth/Miracle Eye now fail if the target is already being affected by it.
Mirror Move now copies the last move the target used, and uses it against the target.
A move called by Sleep Talk now targets the opposite battler by default.
Sleep Talk can now not choose Nature Power.
Assist can no longer call upon moves known by an egg.
Imprison no longer fails if the opponents don't know any move the user knows.
While being Heal Blocked, can no longer use Aqua Ring or Ingrain moves, Leftovers won't have an effect, and Poison Heal Pokémon will neither gain nor lose HP.
Being Heal Blocked now negates the effect of Water Absorb, Volt Absorb and the heal-by-Water-move part of Dry Skin.
Heal Block is now Baton Passable, and no longer lasts forever.
Can now choose the target of an Encored move.
Fury Attack et al. now have the Gen 5 chances for each number of hits.
Beat Up now works like in Gen 5.
Whirlwind can now hit airborne semi-invulnerable targets.
Fissure can no longer hit a Pokémon in the middle of using Dig.
Pokémon are now invulnerable in the middle of using Shadow Force.
Trapping moves now last for 4-5 rounds, including the round they were used in.
Outrage now stops if it misses.
Recover now rounds up rather than down.
Roost now causes the user's Flying type to be ignored for the rest of the round, in type effectiveness calculations of other moves only.
Wish now provides half of the Wish user's max HP, rounded up.
Rest now shows its move animation.
Absorb now rounds up rather than down.
Heal Pulse is now blocked by a substitute, rounds up rather than down.
Selfdestruct's user now animates their HP depletion, which now occurs after the move animation.
Memento's user now animates their HP depletion which now occurs at the end of the move's effect.
Memento's use is no longer stopped by Protect, although its stat decreasing is.
Healing Wish/Lunar Dance now show their animation before depleting the user's HP, which is now animated.
Fixed alleged early return from Perish Song's effect.
False Swipe's damage limiting now overrides effects like Endure and Focus Sash (i.e. their messages aren't shown).
U-turn/Volt Switch will no longer require a switch if it caused the opponent's last Pokémon to faint.
Thunder, Hurricane and Blizzard now have base accuracies of 100% in beneficial weather, rather than always hitting.
Stealth Rock now does a minimum of 1 damage.
Pay Day's effect now works even against a substitute.
Brick Break now breaks Light Screen/Reflect after damage calculation (even if it did no damage), and its damage isn't reduced by Reflect/Light Screen.
Helping Hand now applies even if Reflect/Light Screen are being ignored.
Rapid Spin now ignores substitutes, and only works if the user hasn't fainted while using the move.
Focus Punch now shows its "focussing" message immediately after switching and before any moves are used.
Follow Me/Rage Powder now show their animations, and cancel the user's partner's Follow Me/Rage Powder.
Shadow Half now works.
Shadow End now doesn't deal recoil damage if it hit a substitute.
Destiny Bond, Grudge, Sticky Barb and thawing due to being hit by a Fire move now work in multi-hit moves.
Acupressure should now work (added code for its targeting option).
Metronome now shows its move animation, and fixed an extremely unlikely infinite loop.
Roar now shows its animation in wild battles.
Mimic, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Assist, Metronome and Encore now blacklist function codes rather than individual moves (although Metronome also blacklists individual moves too, namely some signature moves).
Many other references to individual moves now refer to function codes instead.
You my friend, have been very busy!

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
Thank you for another great release :D Updating my game right now.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Very impressive. With every new update comes the ability to create a better pokexperience. Good work.

Maruno

Years
ATTENTION!

It contains fixes for some major bugs that cropped up in v12. Go download it if you want your game to work properly.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
ATTENTION!

A dumb question but the download is still called "Pokémon Essentials v12 2013-06-16.rar" right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back