• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation with best graphics

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I really like how Leafgreen and Firered improved on Kanto

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
gen 3 doesn't look amazing on its own imo but some hacks/fangames have managed to make it look absolutely incredible with just some tweaks and custom palettes.
and exact opposite for gen 5. it looks awesome in game, but nearly all attempts to use that style for fan works turn out awful haha.

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I can only agree to that. I love playing rom hacks of 3rd Gen Games especially FireRed/LeafGreen ones. I would love to do one of my own. I even have 151 Pokemon for the region sorted out already but it's so time consuming and really not easy to do. But it is fun nonetheless. If only I could design my own Mega Evo Sprites...
I would love to be able to make my own Megas. Who wouldn't love to see Mega Golduck with added Psychic Type or Mega Luxray with added Dark Type

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Gen 5 graphics would look fantastic if it wasn't so pixelated half the time. I liked the graphics for the cutscenes in XY and Gen 7 tho.

I'm curious to see what Gen 8/Pokemon Switch will look like though. Think about it--Pokemon's gonna be on a much more powerful system than the 3DS/a handheld, there's a lot of room for graphical improvement I would think. Especially considering that the 3DS seemed like it could barely handle Gen 7.

Last edited:
Years
I think gen 6 is just total eyecandy. Walking into Parfum Palace in XY still takes my breath away. The trainers were ridiculously beautiful, just look at how well Valerie is designed or even Diantha with her Audrey Hepburn inspiration. The pokemon look sweet enough to eat, from Florges to Auroras to Xerneas. In my humble opinion there is not one really bad design. It is just a walking art show. There is extraordinary detail when you play with you pokemon in Poke Amie or when they mega evolve or you watch the cut scene. From an visual standpoint these games are magic, I think they are so underrated.

I do like gen 4 graphics though too, especially HGSS when you could see your Pokemon following you. The games look adorable and I love how they overhauled the gyms, making Morty's gym more like a haunted house or Bugsy's a ride through the insect hive. I think the introduction of the 3d mix was really fun but did not in my opinion stray far from the peaceful world Johto is meant to be.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
This may just be nostalgia talking, but I'm still a huge fan of Gen. II graphics. They feel more mature to me, less cartoony than later generations (especially the player backsprites). I honestly wouldn't complain if they started making the games with these kind of graphics again, but I know there are plenty of others who would think otherwise.

HGSS were also great (I especially love the Ecruteak/Bell Tower area), but I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't add a "Nostalgia Goggles" item in addition to GB Sounds, enabling you to play the game with Gen. II graphics with devamp sprites of Gen. III-IV Pokémon. What disappointed me most about these games, however, was the lack of room customization. I want my N64 and Big Lapras Doll. :(

Last edited:

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
Years
I'm going to say Gen II is my favourite visuals-wise. A lot of the battle sprites are dynamic, feel imposing, and all around just look great for the GBC area.

Gen III could've looked a lot better if it weren't so washed out, especially in battles.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
Definitely Gen II graphics. I like the retro style with actual color instead of the added color in Red and Blue. I also like Gen III a lot, except Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
WALL OF TEXT LAUNCHED!
Spoiler:

Years
Gen II for me also. There was something so charming and visually appealing in the tiles and sprites that even now I love looking at them and playing. DPPt were also breakthroughs with graphics when you compare them to their third generation predecessor games. Love all the Pokémon games, but these two did and still do stand out to me!

3D is okay, but didn't grab me as much as these games did. Especially since the 3DS doesn't handle Pokémon 3D very well with FPS drops and such.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
Yea definitely Gen 2. I always loved and still love that style of graphics, relatively simple pixel style but with quite a lot of detail. Note, I mean the battle sprites more than the overworld areas here, as there could certainly have been much more done with them even with the technology of the time than Gamefreak chose to.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Gen 6 cuz kalos is just sooooo cute imo. :3

Not just cuz Korrina's from it either. The whole french theme to the region is just cute to me. Also, the graphics for gen 6 in general seemed more brightly colored to me. I liked that :)

I'd say gen 2 johto is my second favorite. I remember my old crystal pretty fondly, also a lot of pastel tones =)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
3rd gen games, but the nintendo ds and 3ds pokemon games are too much pixellated for the type of graphic that wants reach... yokai watch have a good graphic, but i don't like that game, I only hope that the gamefreek can recreate this type of graphic on future pokemon games...

Last edited:
Years
Gen 7. Yeah, I'm in the minority and no, I don't really care.

While everyone grew up oodling ever their Gen 2 and Gen 3 pixels, I spent more of my time playing things like Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Colosseum, and these games got me super hooked on the idea of 3D Pokemon fighting each other in action-filled battles that felt more... real compared to just being crammed in a GBA or SP or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the main series games during that time, but there's a charm in 3D Pokemon that sprites just can't match to me. I suppose a part of me just loves realism when it comes to executing moves, I guess. If a Pokemon uses hyper beam, I want to see how actually destructive that hyper beam is. It's things like this that mattered to me a lot.

And that's why the more 3D games will be my favourite (except for ORAS, the graphics in that generation is massively questionable). When Gen 7 was a thing, it blew my mind how amazing everything looked. Yeah, I get it, the modeling isn't perfect and neither are the colouring (hello my name is pastel, of course that stuff mattered to me), but in the grand scheme of being a Pokemon game, this was about as close to living a childhood dream as I can get of Pokemon being real. Every move felt fluid to me as you gave your Pokemon commands instead of seeing a static sprite all the time.

So there's that.

Last edited:
Back