• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the best GBA emulator?

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
Any tips?
For windows, i suggest you visual boy advance, widely used by a lot of people.
If you are android guy, MyBoy! is the best. Purchasing the paid version doesnt gives you much so free version is better. John GBA is good too, but i prefer MyBoy!

Years
There is a new gba emulator in the android market that lets you play pokemon games online with your facebook freinds,if you play in a laptop/desktop i recommend you vba m.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
The problem with the original VBA is that it hasn't been developed further for over a decade. That resulted into people forking the project and creating their own modifications. VBA-m being the most prominent one out there. If you go for an emulator, go for that one.

On Android I use Retroarch with a GBA core (can't say with one on the top of my head). It's a little bit tricky to set up and Android does some weird things that require certain habits, but I think it's worth the effort. I mean, it's free as well, so you can't really complain.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I'll second mGBA or VBA-m x

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
I use VBA for pokemon games and other GB/C/A games, sadly VBA has a glitch which doesn't allow you to save GBA pokemon games in most versions, so you must use save states

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
only reason to use VBA-M is because of sound engine accuracy IIRC, and I don't know if that's still true these days. generally speaking mGBA takes the cake for accuracy, so it's objectively better use.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 6, 2021
Don't do that. VBA is horribly inaccurate, and even contains security vulnerabilities. I also suggest mGBA, or even BizHawk if you're okay with a multi-system emulator.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I never experienced any problem with VBA-M (Or even VBA). Just a solid emulator if you ask me.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
only reason to use VBA-M is because of sound engine accuracy IIRC, and I don't know if that's still true these days. generally speaking mGBA takes the cake for accuracy, so it's objectively better use.
As someone whose hack is heavily dependent on proper audio emulation, I can say that it's still true. mGBA produces lower quality audio than actual hardware. I'd say that VBA-M's audio quality might be too good to be accurate, but it's still far superior.

Outside of that, mGBA has it beaten in spades. It's generally the best GBA emulator out there, and that's not likely to change for the foreseeable future.

Miggiz125s

G L O W Y
Years
Don't do that. VBA is horribly inaccurate, and even contains security vulnerabilities. I also suggest mGBA, or even BizHawk if you're okay with a multi-system emulator.

I'd like to clarify that it depends on the player. If you just want a solid, working GBA emulator, go for VBA. It has all the features you need.
If you want more, then go ahead! upgrade to VBA-M or mGBA, Although i'm still sticking with VBA as I dont need all those new features. All I need is an emulator that works, and so far, It has filled that role perfectly fine.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Please don't use VBA. Even if you don't care about it being horribly inaccurate, it has widely known security vulnerabilities that were never patched (for example). If you're a huge fan of VBA, just use VBA-M.

Personally, I do care about hardware accuracy and mGBA is my emulator of choice.

Years
I use MyBoy! for Android, since it's by far the easiest to use I've found, and it has wireless compatibility. On Windows, I either use no$gba debug version, or mGBA

Back