• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

giles863

Geodude Expert
Years
I chose Torchic in Ruby and Emerald and I chose Bulbasaur in LeafGreen. Most of the time I choose the Water types but I liked Blaziken more than any of the others and I don't know why I chose Bulbasaur...still to this day...:pokeball:

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I picked Mudkip in Hoenn because I leik mudkipz and Charmander in Kanto. I used to like Water-type starters as well, but I just pick the ones I like the most now.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
My first time in Hoenn was Ruby and I chose Mudkip, but brainlessly. I had not realized I was choosing my starter because it was so different, I just hit the first one that came up.

My first of the kanto remakes was leaf green and I started with Charmander.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
I'm just going to post them all because I can:

Gold version ages ago: All of them at different resets. My first ever was Cyndaquil iirc.
Heart Gold: Chikorita. Jealous of my brothers shiny Chikorita though >.>
Sapphire: Torchic of course, best starter of gen 3.
Emerald: Went for a change and picked Mudkip, although Torchic still rocks.
Diamond: Piplup, because it owned the other starters and Empoleon has a sick typing.
Platinum: Piplup again because I am boring.
Fire Red: Bulbasaur because it is smexy.
White: Snivy because Serperior is the best starter under.

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
Years
Treecko's the one that I picked. Fabulously green, he was great. As for FRLG I chose Squirtle, that way I can put the laughter in slaughtering Brock for once have an easier time thanks to it's defense. Plus Blastoise is awesome.

Ninjutsu95

Bad decisions = Good stories
Years
my first?

charmander, and then... charmander. then after the millionth time on firered (best game ever! besides emerald),........... charmander. then in hoenn? torchick. then.. torchick.. then torchick... and when i found out that swampert was better with gyms... torchick. and then mudkip. never bulbasour (LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). treeko was pretty decent.

Years
I chose Torchic and Squirtle :)
I wanted to name my Squirtle Thats what she said.
but not enough characters :(

Years
Mudkip and Bulbasaur.

I'm very fond of slower Pokemon and Mudkip is the slowest of Gen III and the one with the huge defenses which I like too. Altough it looks quite horrible it's very powerful and makes the game easy.
I like Torchic quite alot too. It's very powerful and makes the game extremely easy too. Plus it's the cutest starter of this Generation.
Treecko sucked for me...

Bulbasaur is awesome. Altough it doesn't have a wide movepool it has everything it needs to pull of a sweep. It learns spores so it can make the job alot easier for it's teammates and can take hits thanks to those lovely defenses.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I chose Torchic a lot in both Sapphire and Emerald. However I decided to go in a different direction for the start of the game and choose Mudkip in Emerald this time. All the starters are really cool in this generation though, so whichever one I chose I would always end up liking. :P

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Mudkip and Bulbasaur. I used all starters (restarted...a lot.) but Mudkip and Bulbasaur were the ones to beat the E4 first. :>

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
LG - Charmander.
Ruby - Torchic, then Mudkip, then Torchic again. I never evolved both of them because I thought they were too cute. ;_;

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Ruby: Mudkip
Sapphire: Torchic
Emerald: also Torchic (as my Sapphire before I gave it away was my restarting one. i regret giving it away, but that can one do).
LeafGreen: (before it was stolen that is) Bulbasaur

I also have FireRed but it was used for a challenge that never completed, so heh.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Torchic in Sapphire, which is standard for me, given that I always choose the Fire-starter (except for Black, for some reason.)

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
Years
Lol, for my Sapphire and Emerald I chose Mudkip.

For LG I chose Bulbasaur, but for my FR (which I was doing the Nuzlocke challenge on) I chose Charmander.

Back