• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
There was the poor asian kid who got beat up by a gang outside of a school. Now I'm not 100 % sure if it was due to him being gay but still a horrible thing. Now I did not witness it first hand but if I did I swear I would of jumped in to project him. I know for me I was bullied and I fought the kid and stabbed him with my pen. After that I had to switch schools.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
What kind of homophobic or transphobic bullying or crime have you personally witnessed, and how did you respond to it? Have you ever been bullied, and if so, did someone help you?

Story time!
Spoiler:

I've never been personally bullied myself.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
Years
Hello all! I would like to join this club :3

I'm a bisexual male.
I'm always interested in news related to the LGBTS!

I don't have much of an introduction, sorry :x

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Aaaa I have so much replying to do but I completely forgot about the LGBT Club until about five minutes before I have to leave for work, as always tends to happen in the daytime :P anyway just wanted to drop by and say a quick welcome to TwiDragon :) So, welcome! I'll add your name to the list now and I'll do everything else tonight!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Hola everyone. I believe I'd like to join the club, too!

I'm a gay guy in Louisiana, so seeing a support group or club of any kind is quite a rare thing here,, so when I saw you had one here, I decided to join!
(Of course I lurked for a while, first)

TwiDragon

Years
^^I wouldn't be able to live long down there without loosing my mind. There are a lot of ignorant news storys from there that really make me mad.

Even though I'm in the "south". I'm in a very open area.
30 minutes away from a LGBT charity shop (If youve been to Richmond, you know what I'm talking about), and having one of the biggest GSA's in the state (county wise)

Hopefully you've lived through it pretty fairly :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Haha, thanks, Pudz!

@TwiDragon: Ya know, it isn't as bad down here as the media makes it out to be. The only stories you see on the news are the more extreme ones. Usually we're met with decent support. The only reason the schools don't have very many GSA clubs is that it's the parents who go into uproar about it.
I am fortunate enough to have a very supporting family (with exceptions to my grandmother), so I really think that has helped a whole heck of a lot.

I've met bullies about it, but once they realized they just couldn't get to me, they backed off. I had the support of friends when it came to stuff like bullies, though. One of my friends at the time towered over everyone at school, seeing that he was 6 feet and 7 inches tall! So, when I was around him, no one bothered me too much.

TwiDragon

Years
^I see, maybe I never dealt with bullying about it (besides immature elementary school stuff) is because I came out just last September. I was already situated with everyone I knew, and I had a supporting family.

Also, I made a thread in the poll section. It sort of relates to the group, and I would like any support I can get. Thanks ^-^

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I actually kind of wish I had been out in high school, just so I could have joined the GSA. As far as I know, I've still never met a gay person in my life, lol. Then again, I never once had to deal with any bullying of any kind, so it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to give them ammunition like that. (I would have been a really easy target back in high school... but no one ever paid attention to me, thankfully.)

Hopefully there's one at the college I go to next year.

TwiDragon

Years
Unfortunutly the school's GSA is very limited in what they can do. The leaders do nothing but plan movie partys, and they don't do anything other than sit in the room and do nothing. I wish they would do something else besides "be a group of friends"

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
Unfortunutly the school's GSA is very limited in what they can do. The leaders do nothing but plan movie partys, and they don't do anything other than sit in the room and do nothing. I wish they would do something else besides "be a group of friends"

I know at my school's (Which I never have gone too but heard rumors) They sit and just talk. not sure what they talk about since I have never been told. For all I know could be about the media and music. I feel for me knowing someone going though the same issue is more helpful. Maybe its just me though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
You know, that's pretty nice, too, though. In the first place there is only so much a group of students can do. Second, I would have loved to have had a group of friends I could just talk to. There aren't man openly gay people around her in Louisiana, and if there are any, they're not exactly the type I want to be friends with. So to have had a club in school where I could at least just chat with other gay guys around my age would have been wonderful, even if we weren't able to do anything within the community.

TwiDragon

Years
Well, I mean I know there could be more done with the money instead of throwing partys. I'm an officer in anime club, and the other two leaders arn't exactley rich. Any funds for our club comes from out pockets, and we do a load of stuff. Some costly (for us), some not so much.

The GSA is ran by five people who seem to always have at least 100 on them, have jobs, and do all sorts of crazy things. I don't exactley know what they would do, but throwing partys and leaving money in the jar to do nothing is kind of wasteful

Thats how I feel at least

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Yeah, that I can understand. That would irritate me to the max if I knew that. If they have all of that money then they should definitely do something more than just watch a movie. That can at least take them to a pride parade or something.

TwiDragon

Years
Yeah, the only thing thats been done so far with the money is that shirts are being sold in the school store that say "*My school*, GSA" with a picture of peace sign and an eagle over it. Thats the only thing thats been done, and I don't know where the money is going towards. Maybe the school, a charity, the club? I don't know.

Years
Well, just having a GSA in the first place is doing a lot. It lets people know that there's a safe place and people who won't judge you. That could mean the difference between someone staying in school or dropping out.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Welcome, Jellicent! Sorry that took so long, I saw you joined days ago and wanted to say hi but kept getting distracted :P - when you joined the forum, someone on IRC linked me to your profile and said "I have a present for you" because you were a new gay guy XDD.

See, that's what I think part of the problem is. We've built the whole idea on the notion that no one can choose. It's a defensive stance. It reinforces the idea that only those things that are beyond people's control should be protected instead of using a better measure of things-that-don't-hurt-anyone should be protected. In general that's not a good way to look at the world. "It wasn't my choice" is not very far from "It wasn't my fault."

I also think it has the potential to alienate anyone who is confused or questioning or curious about their sexuality. Right now the message is: when you're young it's okay to be unsure, but once you grow up you'll now what you are and that'll never change. If someone does have some change in their feelings or identity beyond those initial years of puberty the message we put out there says "Well, if you think you're gay now it must mean that you were gay all along and didn't know it." I don't think that's a fair thing to say to a person. I think it ridicules their life up to that point by implying they were using a "false" sexuality or something along those lines. I'd also hate to see someone who might feel curious about their sexuality being forced back into a "No, I'm straight, I can't" mentality. That's bad for them mentally and emotionally.

I get that it's easier to get people to allow something if we say "It's not a choice," but that marginalizes people within an already marginalized group.

I find it really hard to argue this point with you because I agree with everything you've said lol. I guess in the end though, I'm just more of a results-based person, and not very patient. I'd much rather get there faster using what we've already built than changing the gameplan halfway through and dealing with more delays. "It's not a choice," which I would be so bold as to say is true of the vast majority of cases, is simply a far easier message to shove down their throats than "some people do choose to be gay, deal with it and accept us anyway".

Back