• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
It makes sense that the message isn't shown in those cases, and indeed in most of those cases it already doesn't. As I recall it was only the confusion effect which needed tweaking.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
The following were reported to me from players in v8, but I don't see any mention of it on the Bug Fixes, so listing them just in case:

Soundproof doesn't seem to be working. One player reported his soundproof Pokemon being hit by Supersonic; another by Sing.

The same player's Pokemon was also put to sleep while in the middle of an Uproar

Toxic Orb activated immediately after the Pokemon was sent out. Normally it should activate at the end of a turn when the Pokemon has already been out (or has just been switched in mid-turn).

http://prntscr.com/elnaw
^ I think that should list the player's name rather than just 'Player'.

And to a different tune, for my information, is setting the ability flag of a Trainer's Pokemon supposed to guarantee the assignment of that ability, or is it one of those 90% things?

Maruno

Years
The following were reported to me from players in v8, but I don't see any mention of it on the Bug Fixes, so listing them just in case:

Soundproof doesn't seem to be working. One player reported his soundproof Pokemon being hit by Supersonic; another by Sing.

The same player's Pokemon was also put to sleep while in the middle of an Uproar
The move flag which denotes a move as being sound-based wasn't compiled properly (at all, in fact) in version 8 or earlier. Soundproof was effectively useless then, since there was nothing it worked against. As mentioned in the bug fixes, it's been fixed in version 9.

Toxic Orb activated immediately after the Pokemon was sent out. Normally it should activate at the end of a turn when the Pokemon has already been out (or has just been switched in mid-turn).

http://prntscr.com/elnaw
^ I think that should list the player's name rather than just 'Player'.

And to a different tune, for my information, is setting the ability flag of a Trainer's Pokemon supposed to guarantee the assignment of that ability, or is it one of those 90% things?
Toxic Orb only occurs at the end of each round. There's no way it would occur immediately upon putting a Pokémon into battle. I think that's a dodgy report. Unless you meant Toxic Spikes, but I assumed they worked immediately.

Messages duly changed.

Setting the ability of a trainer's Pokémon will definitely give it that ability, 100% of the time. The override flag (which this parameter sets) is an absolute. Anything you write down in trainers.txt will absolutely be the case.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Interesting. I... still don't see the sound note on the wiki, but I have a tendency to overlook things. Okie.
Definitely meant Orb, but I'll accept the faulty report thing.

The reason I ask about the ability flag is because he and another player have also reported that it doesn't always have that ability. The Pokemon question was a Poison Heal Breloom, hence the aforementioned Toxic Orb, and one of those players reset the battle repeatedly until he got Effect Spore, allowing him to win the gym match because Breloom killed itself. The other player had Effect Spore right away. All other instances have had Poison Heal though. So... I probably messed something up somehow.

Maruno

Years
It's not referred to as the sound flag, but it's this bug fix:

All available move flags are now compiled and saved properly, not just up to "h".
It implies flags i, j, k and l didn't used to work. Sound-based moves have flag k.

The ability code hasn't changed in a while (not in the last few versions, at least), and I'm certain it works properly. It'll be something you mucked up. Make sure Breloom is defined properly in pokemon.txt and trainers.txt. Also, make sure your players are playing your game. ;)

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2012
Certain berries, when the player plants them, grow into Pokeball sprites. They appear as blinking Pokeballs on the map once they sprout. This happened in the unmodified download as well as my altered game.

This was version 8, but I saw no reference to this on the bug fixes, so I'm presuming it still happens.

Maruno

Years
Certain berries, when the player plants them, grow into Pokeball sprites. They appear as blinking Pokeballs on the map once they sprout. This happened in the unmodified download as well as my altered game.

This was version 8, but I saw no reference to this on the bug fixes, so I'm presuming it still happens.
Duly noted. That oversight will be fixed for version 10.

Pichuichu

Creator Of (Insert Here)
Years
Getting this error

Getting this error when transfering to a certain map (indoors from outdoors)

Exception: NoMethodError
interpreter:512:in 'command_end'
interpreter:295:in 'cexecute_command'
interpreter:193:in 'update'
interpreter:106:in 'loop'
interpreter:198:in 'update'
Scene_Map:103:in 'update'
Scene_Map:101:in 'loop'
Scene_Map:114:in 'update'
Scene_Map:68:in 'main'
Scene_Map:65:in 'loop'

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 9, 2021
I searched the forum for any posts regarding this ever since the May 2012 update, but nobody has mentioned it.

After an intro plays when a player notices you, it is definitely fixed and it does stop the music before the battle starts. But there is still no battle music. Is this a problem for anyone else?

EDIT: I'm also using Windows 7 if that matters.
EDIT2: Booted my XP, same problem.

EDIT3: Ack, solved it with:

Audio.me_stop

After line 316 of "PokemonTrainers" in the script editor.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2013
I have a major bug report!
when i made the shadow pokemon, and made gave it the shadow type and everything, when i went to catch it from the trainer, everything just dissappeared, can you please fix this, so i can add shadow pokemon to my game?

Sincerly, rater193

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2012
I can't give much detail on the context of this happening because it happens erratically in many different situations. This error message keeps popping up and crashing the game:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials

PokemonField:1195

PokemonField:1192:in `call'

PBEvent:54:in `trigger'

PBEvent:49:in `each'

PBEvent:49:in `trigger'

Game_Character_2:67:in `update_move'

Game_Character_2:6:in `update_old2'

Walk_Run:92:in `update'

Game_Event_:247:in `update'

Game_Map_:357:in `update'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Hmnyoobadoo\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

It has so far only happened in outdoor maps, and most often happens on certain maps near where they transition to another map. At first it just happened occasionally while walking around, but I recently put an item near (not on) the edge of one of the problem maps, and a similar message appears when I try to pick it up. The message is the same except for the first few lines:

Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Section082:1195undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

Kernel.pbItemBall(PBItems::GREATBALL)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

PokemonField:1192:in `call'

PBEvent:54:in `trigger'

This happened a few times in the unmodified version, but it's hard to recreate in a different project because it seems to have hotspots. I have no idea what it is about these maps that makes it happen more often.

Other minor bugs:

If I use debug mode to faint all my party pokemon, the player will not black out, and trying to enter a battle and send out a Pokemon will break the game.
(I did this while trying to test a restarting script)

If a ledge tile is adjacent to water, the play can surf over it; they will hop over the ledge and keep surfing on the ground. Happens if away from the water is down the ledge.

Pokemon can switch out after being hit by rock tomb

Mirror Coat reflected the damage from an attack that missed.

SUCKERPUNCH worked when I switched the target Pokemon out (not readying an attack). I'm going to keep it that way for my game because I like it, but I don't think that is supposed to happen.

Maruno

Years
I can't give much detail on the context of this happening because it happens erratically in many different situations. This error message keeps popping up and crashing the game:

It has so far only happened in outdoor maps, and most often happens on certain maps near where they transition to another map. At first it just happened occasionally while walking around, but I recently put an item near (not on) the edge of one of the problem maps, and a similar message appears when I try to pick it up. The message is the same except for the first few lines:

This happened a few times in the unmodified version, but it's hard to recreate in a different project because it seems to have hotspots. I have no idea what it is about these maps that makes it happen more often.
Unmodified version 9? Because your error messages make no sense according to the code in v9.

Other minor bugs:

If I use debug mode to faint all my party pokemon, the player will not black out, and trying to enter a battle and send out a Pokemon will break the game.
(I did this while trying to test a restarting script)

If a ledge tile is adjacent to water, the play can surf over it; they will hop over the ledge and keep surfing on the ground. Happens if away from the water is down the ledge.

Pokemon can switch out after being hit by rock tomb

Mirror Coat reflected the damage from an attack that missed.

SUCKERPUNCH worked when I switched the target Pokemon out (not readying an attack). I'm going to keep it that way for my game because I like it, but I don't think that is supposed to happen.
1 - It's debug mode, it's supposed to let you do things you couldn't ordinarily do. To test fainting, just poison your last able Pok?mon and allow fainting from poison.

2 - Don't put ledges next to water, then.

3 - Shouldn't they? Rock Tomb just lowers the target's speed; no switching restrictions there.

4 - Noted.

5 - Sucker Punch's effect doesn't exist yet. It just works like a regular attack.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
In the official games the berries aren't watering by rain, but I prefer your version.

I don't know if you consider this as a bug: The light pole creates the player shadow even during day, when the pole is turned off.

Maruno

Years
I don't know if you consider this as a bug: The light pole creates the player shadow even during day, when the pole is turned off.
That's something I've made a note of, but it's very low priority.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Volt Switch/U-Turn: When it KOs a wild Pokemon, the user is still prompted to switch before the battle ends (EXP is distributed correctly, though). This doesn't happen in the main series games.

Beat Up: In a double battle again two separate trainers I don't believe it should count both trainer's Pokemon.
Ex: Player vs Trainer 1 and Trainer 2, each with three Pokemon. Each has one Pokemon KO'd.
Houndour used Beat Up and it hit four times.
I believe it should've only hit twice.

Maruno

Years
Different sources describe how Beat Up works in different ways, and always in a non-specific enough way as to be annoying. Regardless, it isn't claimed to work properly anyway.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Just keep Beat Up the way it is. It changes every gen and this is the most effective version, competitively, as niche as it is. I'd much rather Sucker Punch got working.

Back