• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] [C++ and Ogre 3D] Castle Forge 3D

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
If it's a world on clouds, then that seems a poor idea...
But if it's sky islands because that makes more sense than clouds... I'm all for it!

Either way, it sound good, and can't wait to play!

Years
Pretty much land chunks floating.

Anyways a quick update:

I did some UV mapping a bit and was able to register multiple blocks per image and block faces can have different textures (by faces I mean sides like front and back)

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
It's looking good, like you said the low fps and Slow Gen needs work.

Out of curiosity, you've got that flat surface, then you've got the other video with a environmental looking surface, is there gonna be options to choose between the two?

Years
Yep, you can have almost full customization of how the map will be rendered, and how you graphics are displayed. (In this case I disabled the sky and chose a flatland generator) You can also customize the generation stuff (How far away can chunks be rendered, how many chunks can be generated/degenerated a frame, ect.) Something which I don't think minecraft allows : D Anyways, I might see if I can thread the map generation to speed up the FPS a bit more, in the meantime this is a good start. (Considering I spent less than a day on this)

In the meantime if anyone get's an idea of an option (by option I mean things like rendering options, chunk options, game types, ect.) I may add it (unless it's either out of reach for now or is ridiculous)

Next stop, actually getting some physics done....

EDIT: Fixed very FATAL mistake which lagged up a lot of things: I increased the block size up a bit which not only makes the world seem bigger, it actually fixed some lag problems! (By lag I mean I need to load a lot less blocks and chunks)

Sooo with that said, I can officially announce that I have a successful endless terrain system! (With 100+FPS when loading chunks)

Alright so I am thinking about some things, and I would like to know which people prefer:

A custom (capped) amount of Chunk rendering (Meaning you choose exactly how many chunks can be rendered and maintained in each direction, under a fixed value: 100 (which would be insane to render that many anyways))

or what minecraft does (Large Range, Normal Range, Small, and Tiny Ranges)

I believe customization makes a game better to the users, so I am up for the first

Last edited:

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
From experience I can tell you that gamers will generally just put the slider all the way up, thinking their computer can handle it. Instead I would suggest:

Large, normal, small, tiny, custom

Put large at like 30, then tell them that going above that in custom can seriously hamper rendering speeds. That way you won't get complaints that "my computer can't handle it at max settings and I got a blablabla".

Years
From experience I can tell you that gamers will generally just put the slider all the way up, thinking their computer can handle it. Instead I would suggest:

Large, normal, small, tiny, custom

Put large at like 30, then tell them that going above that in custom can seriously hamper rendering speeds. That way you won't get complaints that "my computer can't handle it at max settings and I got a blablabla".

Alright thanks for the idea, but 30 is too big a number for large, I am thinking about half of that, because I am rendering 5 chunks and it already is loading much more than you'd expect.

As for biomes, what do all of you suggest? (Don't ask basics such as Forests, Deserts, ect.)

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
Other than the basic biomes, what is there really to add?

You got your forest, your taiga, your vast plains of snow and ice, your desert, your jungle... there's really only so many different biomes you can make if you're trying to stick to a realistic world. I think the big chance at something original that minecraft hasn't done would be to extend biomes to underground and ocean as well.

Have your plain ocean, your coral reefs, your seaweed mazes, etc. Obviously only useful if underwater content is something you will add, but it's just a random idea of the top of my head.

As for caves? Mushroom caves, underwater caves (not so much located underwater, but caves with water inside of them so you have to swim through the caves), jungle caves, dwarven mines, whatever.

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with some ideas if you know a basic direction you want your game to go in.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Crysal/Ore Biomes:
Islands or landscapes contain various ores, or built out of crystals. Very rare to find, and requires high upgrades to harvest.

Underwater Landscapes:
Such things like Atlantis, cities or small towns engulfed underwater, with treasure or goods lying there in wait for you. Of course this would require some form of sea diving armor.

Dead Landscape:
Landscapes with burning trees and/or dungeons on the surface, farming and water cannot be found here, nor can any friendly signs of life.

Can't think of much more. If I do, I'll let you know.

Years
Alright then, these are great ideas for biomes, I guess I should also include blocks and items to go alongside of it all.

here's a small list of blocks:
Spoiler:

a small list of items:

Spoiler:

Tools/Weapons/Armors:
Spoiler:

The only exception to metal tools are gold and silver, these are considered in the same category as gems.

Gems are considered as currency, depending on where you are some gems are worth more.

If some of this seems out of place, it's because this revolves around multiple timeline options, you aren't just fixed to one time period.

You are free to suggest anything else that you might want in the game, of course it may take a while to add some, but all the good ideas will be added for sure.

Don't Suggest things that are FAR out of reach, I know I did, but it's so no one else suggests something to replace redstone. (Not sure if anyone was, but just for in case)

Back