• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Insectopia- A Mono Bug Team

Kodachrome

Monotype Connisseur
Years
This is my first thread on this forum so please bear with me. I've been running Mono Dark for a good while and It's time for something different. Here's what I came up with...
166.png
205.png
127.png
292.png
474.png
49.png

166.png
@Light Clay

Swarm
Calm Nature
Reflect
Light Screen
U-Turn
Bug Buzz
Ledian is one of my leads. Her job is to set up her screens to acommodate the rest of my team's subpar defensive stats. I gave her U-Turn to switch out while causing some damage to hinder a Focus Punch that is planned for my switch or to switch into Shedinja whose Ghost secondary-typing renders it immune to Forretress' Explosion.
EV: SP.A-20 SP.D-252 Speed-238

205.png
@Occa Berry

Sturdy
Careful Nature
Stealth Rock
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Explosion
Forretress is my second lead, pairing with Ledian. His job is to set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes to cripple my opponents survivability, disable stalling without the aid of a status recovery move, kill incoming Shedinjas with Stealth Rock, and make my sweepers' jobs easier. I went with Rapid Spin to remove entry hazzards from my side of the field and prevent large sums of damage to be taken from my pokemon. (All of which are very vulnerable to Stealth Rock.) I went with Explosion because Forretress has virtually no use to me after it sets up it's entry hazzards, and also because it times nicely with Ledian's strategy.
EV: HP-160 Attack-60 Defense-60 Sp.D-230

127.png
@Muscle Band

Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
X-Scissor
Brick Break
Rock Slide
Return
Pinsir is my physical sweeper. I gave him a moveset that can cover all of his weaknesses with Brick Break(Rock) and Rock Slide(Fire and Flying). I chose Rock Slide over Stone Edge because it hits two pokemon in a double battle, which is more useful since both pokemon could be flying types and I can, wait for it... kill two birds with one stone. I gave him X-Scissor for the STAB bonus and Return for more coverage. I opted for Muscle Band instead of a Choice item because with all of this type coverage, it would be a shame if I couldn't use it to it's full potential without having to switch out from being locked into a bad move. That leaves just Muscle Band and Life Orb as my viable item options, but since Muscle Band boosts the power without the 10% penalty, I gave him that instead.
EV: Attack-252 Defense-6 Speed-252

292.png
@Focus Sash

Wonder Guard
Adamant Nature
Shadow Sneak
X-Scissor
Protect
Will-O-Wisp
Shedinja is my burner and revenge killer. I gave it Shadow Sneak because it functions well with Shedinja's stats, receives STAB bonus, and has priority. X-Scissor is for Normal types who are immune to Shadow Sneak. Protect is to stall the burn from Will-O-Wisp after my Focus Sash breaks, and Will-O-Wisp is to apply burn. The burn, in combination with Reflect from Ledian should cripple my opponents ability to hit hard with Rock and Flying type moves even further.
EV: HP-6 Attack-252 Speed-252
(P.S. I put 6 into HP just for the perfect 510.)

474.png
@Life Orb

Speed Boost
Modest Nature
Protect
Bug Buzz
Air Cutter
Ancient Power
Yanmega is one of my special sweepers. When I send him out, I'll first use Protect to activate the Speed Boost. The boost in speed will counterbalance my Modest nature and lack of max EV placement into the Speed stat. After which, I'll sweep normally. Bug Buzz is for STAB bonus, as well as Air Cutter. I opted for Air Cutter over Air Slash for the same reason that I opted to go with Rock Slide over Stone Edge on my Pinsir. It also has a higher critical hit rate to compensate for the lower base damage, albeit random. Ancient Power is there to hit Flying types, Ice types, Fire types, and other Bug types that would receive normal damage from Air Cutter, or who receive a x4 damage multiplier from Rock. Such as those who are Bug and Flying.
EV: Defense-105 Sp.A-252 Speed-153

49.png
@Big Root

Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
Bug Buzz
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Giga Drain
Venomoth is my other special sweeper, aside from Yanmega. Her job is the same as Yanmega's, but with a different method of approach. Yanmega starts on the defensive with Protect, but Venomoth goes right in offensively with tremendous type coverage and great stats. Bug Buzz is for STAB bonus. Psychic is always a good attack to fill a space since it has a base damage of 90 and hits Infernape and Blaziken pretty hard when used right. Shadow Ball is there for coverage and the 20% Sp.D decrease. Giga Drain pairs nicely with Big Root and hits Rock and Ground types like Golem, Water and Rock types like Kabutops and Omanyte, and Water and Ground types like Quagsire, Swampert, and Gastrodon really hard, and also gives Venomoth back a decent chunk of health when combined with Big Root.
EV: SP.A-252 Sp.D-6 Speed-252

Last edited:

PkmnLvr6

Advanced Trainer
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2011
Well first off I think some of the Bug types you chose to use are some of the less usable ones like Ledian and Venomoth and I wouldn't suggest using them. As for Forretress I'd replace it with Scizor since it has a bigger and in my opinion better movepool and Heracross instead of Pinsir since it can more easily abuse it's high attack as it gets a stronger STAB Bug type move in Megahorn as well as a STAB Close Combat. You could even use both Pinsir and Heracross since both can learn Earthquake which you'll need for Fire types. As for Shedinja and Yanmega I think they are good options but Shedinja's fraility may pose as a problem seeing as though your whole team would be weak to Fire type moves. I'm not a real fan of the Bug type but if I were to make a team of all bugs it would look something like this-

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EV's: 252 Att, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Close Combat
Megahorn
Earthquake
Stone Edge

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician/Swarm
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Att, 252 SpD, 4 HP
X-Scissor
Bullet Punch/Iron Head
Swords Dance/Agility
Superpower/Brick Break
(with the left and right sides lined up accordingly)

Pinsir @ Salac Berry
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
X-Scissor
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Return

Armaldo @ Shell Bell/Muscle Band/Life Orb
Ability: Battle Armor
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Rock Blast
Earthquake
X-Scissor
Rock Polish

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Att, 252 Spd, 4HP
X-Scissor
Shadow Sneak
Protect
Swords Dance(stop Nincada from evolving until level 25)

Yanmega @ Choice Specs/Petaya Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 SpA, 252 Spd, 4hp
Bug Buzz
Psychic
Ancientpower
Protect/Air Slash

Your main two threats against this all Bug team are going to be Fire and Rock types. Heracross can be used against Rock since it has Close Combat and can out speed Fire using Choice Scarf and use Earthquake. Scizor for Rock types as well, and Armaldo additionally for Fire types. There it is hope that helps

Years
Butterfree/Jolly

Sleep Powder, U-turn, Bug Buzz, Supersonic

Scyther/Jolly

Quick Attack, Sword Dance, Substitute, Bug Bite

Scizor/Adamant

Bullet Punch, U-turn, Superpower, Pursuit

It may not be the popular choice, but Butterfree is a great lead because of its ability (Compoundeyes) to increase the accuracy of Sleep Powder to about 95% instead of the usual 75%. Butterfree is best with a Jolly nature to increase its speed. A good move set for Butterfree is Bug Buzz, Sleep Powder, U-turn and Supersonic. Supersonic is for confusing the foe in case it wakes up. If it hurts itself in its confusion, you'll have a perfect opportunity to put it back to sleep.

You may be wondering why I put both Scizor and Scyther in a team . . . even though they're both very similar, their stats/moves are a bit different than the other. Scyther comes in first because he's all about using Substitute and Sword Dance to help out your bug Pokémon. Scyther is a bit quicker and this will help him Sword Dance with a Substitute in front of him. If push comes to shove, Scyther can use Bug Bite that with the Technician ability is deadly (Bug Bite is a tutor move in HG/SS). Scizor is meant entirely for sweeping teams, chasing them down with Pursuit and just causing havoc with Bullet Punch and Superpower.

I agree with your move sets for Forretress, Shedinja, and Yanmega. I would use Forrestress for set ups such as you described and for just using explosion on Pokémon that you don't want to deal with.

Last edited:

Kodachrome

Monotype Connisseur
Years
I appreciate all of your comments but first let me say that I absolutely hate Scyther and Scizor.

@Dr.Pokemon About the Butterfree idea, I like it and I've always wanted to do something revolving around the Compound Eyes ability but I don't think that I need any sleep pressure in my team. Also, Yanmega can learn Hypnosis and Dream Eater so he would be a better choice for that. But since I like the idea, how would combining them work? I could use Butterfree and Skill Swap the Compound Eyes to Yanmega so that I end up with a Speed Boost Buterfree and a Compound Eyes Yanmega.

@PkmnLvr6 Your team suggestion is good but it's seems too offensively oriented. Switching out Forretress for Scizor would relieve me from my entry hazards which will make sweeping much harder and prevent Focus Sash breaking upon entry. I could switch Pinsir with Heracross but Pinsir has the same base speed as Heracross(85 if I'm not mistaken), and I also don't need Earthquake because Rock type moves are super-effective against Flying types AND Fire types, not just Fire types.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I appreciate all of your comments but first let me say that I absolutely hate Scyther and Scizor.

@Dr.Pokemon About the Butterfree idea, I like it and I've always wanted to do something revolving around the Compound Eyes ability but I don't think that I need any sleep pressure in my team. Also, Yanmega can learn Hypnosis and Dream Eater so he would be a better choice for that. But since I like the idea, how would combining them work? I could use Butterfree and Skill Swap the Compound Eyes to Yanmega so that I end up with a Speed Boost Buterfree and a Compound Eyes Yanmega.

@PkmnLvr6 Your team suggestion is good but it's seems too offensively oriented. Switching out Forretress for Scizor would relieve me from my entry hazards which will make sweeping much harder and prevent Focus Sash breaking upon entry. I could switch Pinsir with Heracross but Pinsir has the same base speed as Heracross(85 if I'm not mistaken), and I also don't need Earthquake because Rock type moves are super-effective against Flying types AND Fire types, not just Fire types.

Earthquake also beats Steel-types, which Rock-type moves cannot do.

Your entire team has tons of trouble with non-suicide lead Stealth Rock (because you apparently ALLAH your Forretress whenever) and anything fast with a Rock-type move, tbh. There's a reason why mono-type teams aren't successful most of the time, and it's really hard to overcome weaknesses when you're compounding them so much. Scarf Heracross is a step in the right direction I guess. Don't use Ledian. It's awful, even at setting up screens. Shedinja is also really bad, especially with entry hazards and Sandstorm around every corner.

There's other stuff I should probably say but I'm too lazy to type up atm.

darkfighter

That random guy
Years
I'd like to note that the Unova region added quite a few interesting bug types to the mix.

The most notable ones (In my opinion) Are Volcrona(Special Sweeper), Durant(Physical Wall) and Genosect.

Hectic

Dew yew liek Tyranitars?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 16, 2013
Its a good team but you have no protection against fire. Get some Hp-water/Ice in there for flying.

Back