• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
You still have to worry about non-Prankster Taunters. If they use Taunt on the turn you stat-up, then you're still screwed.

That is, assuming that the Pokemon out has Taunt. I'd think the ideal situation would be more like Volbeat uses Tail Glow as they switch to their Taunter, and then they Baton Pass away. ;x

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
You're going to want to go with a Choice Scarf set because of Glaceon's poor base speed. Here's the set:

Glaceon@Chioce Scarf
Timid Nature [+Spe; -Atk]
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Ground]
- Baton Pass
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

Glaceon doesn't have the best movepool, but this is its most effective set. Blizzard is for a powerful STAB, and makes her a great hail sweeper (due to Snow Cloak and the 100% accuracy Blizzard). Hidden Power Grass can be used to beat water types that would otherwise wall your only stab, and Ground hits most steels that don't have a ground immunity that also wall her ice attacks. Baton Pass is mainly for scouting. Ice Beam can be used if you're not sure you'll get hail up, making it a more reliable STAB in the accuracy department, but doesn't hit nearly as hard as Blizzard does. Shadow Ball can be used for coverage as well and hits the aforementioned levitating steels for neutral damage.

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
what do you think of this set for scrafty?

Nature: adamant
@ expert belt
ability: moxie/shed skin ( not sure which one)
252 Attack 126 Def 126 Spe. Def 4 speed

Drain punch
crunch
fake out
protect

slickmario

nomnomnom
Years
Meh, you're better of with Jolly. Adamant makes it stronger, but Speed is needed much more than Attack. Also, no need for all the Defense. Keep it at 4 HP, 252 Attack, and 252 Speed. Get rid of Fake Out and Protect, and replace them with Dragon Dance and Ice Punch. Give it a Life Orb, or Leftovers if you want it to last a long time (which it really isn't good at). And Hi Jump Kick might be better than Drain Punch, as HJK hits harder. But there is the risk of crashing and losing a lot of HP. Honestly, Conkeldurr is a much better Fighting type.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
I'm a bit confused with Power items in breeding. How would you use them to pass down IVs?
Like, for example, let's say I had a Flawless Ditto and I put it and a Haxorus in Daycare, hoping for a maxed out IV in at least Attack. How would it work?

.Aero

Years
Depending no the power item, the corresponding IV will be passed down. A flawless Ditto with 31 Atk IVs will pass down those 31 IVs guaranteed (I think, not really sure if this true) if it's holding a Power Band I believe (whichever power item increases attack gain). It works the same for all other stats. The max you can pass down guaranteed is two, because each parent can hold one of the items. :P

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
Meh, you're better of with Jolly. Adamant makes it stronger, but Speed is needed much more than Attack. Also, no need for all the Defense. Keep it at 4 HP, 252 Attack, and 252 Speed. Get rid of Fake Out and Protect, and replace them with Dragon Dance and Ice Punch. Give it a Life Orb, or Leftovers if you want it to last a long time (which it really isn't good at). And Hi Jump Kick might be better than Drain Punch, as HJK hits harder. But there is the risk of crashing and losing a lot of HP. Honestly, Conkeldurr is a much better Fighting type.

hmm i see your point. i have a jolly scrafty with the same ev spread you listed above. even with 252 EV's in speed and a jolly nature it still gets outsped by lots of threats, such as terrakion and mienshao. so i decided to max out attack and have an adamant nature while maxing out both defenses as much as possible so that it can be a tad bulkier. the reason i have fake out on it is to break focus sashes and cause a flinch right of the bat. protect is just to stall and scout moves, but i think ice punch would work much better, as you said

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
what do you think of this set for scrafty?

Nature: adamant
@ expert belt
ability: moxie/shed skin ( not sure which one)
252 Attack 126 Def 126 Spe. Def 4 speed

Drain punch
crunch
fake out
protect

I can see you're wanting to go for an offensive Scrafty set ;3

Scrafty @Leftovers
Trait: Jolly
Nature: Moxie if you're going for full out offensive, Shed Skin gives you a bit of security against Status effects
Ev's: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Hi Jump Kick/Drain Punch
- Ice Punch/Taunt

Dragon Dance boosts your mediocre speed and average attack, Crunch is a reliable STAB move, Hi Jump Kick is amazingly strong especially with STAB, however a 90% accuracy isn't the best. Drain Punch is weaker but is 100% accurate and also provides some sort of recovery, Ice Punch along with HJK/DP and Crunch let's you hit everything for at least neutral, although Taunt let's you go for those who try to taunt you.

.Aero

Years
hmm i see your point. i have a jolly scrafty with the same ev spread you listed above. even with 252 EV's in speed and a jolly nature it still gets outsped by lots of threats, such as terrakion and mienshao. so i decided to max out attack and have an adamant nature while maxing out both defenses as much as possible so that it can be a tad bulkier. the reason i have fake out on it is to break focus sashes and cause a flinch right of the bat. protect is just to stall and scout moves, but i think ice punch would work much better, as you said

Ice Punch lets you not get walled by the likes of Gliscor, who would otherwise laugh at your Drain Punch / Crunch combo and roost off the damage. And after a DD, Scrafty can outspeed base 101s positive natures (by 1 point exactly) with Jolly and that EV spread. Most notably, Thundurus. Also, he outspeeds non-scarf Garchomp and can hit hard with Ice Punch, although if they don't run scarf, they might run Yache, so be wary. I also recommend Drain Punch >> HJK because Drain Punch offers a much needed recovery for him. His DD set isn't as bulky as his stats make him out to be, and I also suggest Shed Skin so that you don't get demolished by a burn from Jellicent (who you would otherwise beat with a cute Crunch).

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Since it wasn't addressed before (because I don't think it was noticed), can we get the thread titles back from the old Comp-Battling forum? In the old one, you could tag a thread by which Generation it belonged to, so we could judge it before we entered, i.e. [Gen V], [Gen IV], etc. I thought those were kind of nifty, even if 80% of them would be [Gen V] anyway.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

If what you're looking for is a bulky set, I'd take a look at this:

name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Crunch / Dragon Tail
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers
ability: Shed Skin
evs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD
nature: Careful

This lets him set up on quite a few special attackers with ease and at the same time boost his physical Defense and Attack with Bulk Up. Rest is for semi-reliable recovery (Shed Skin has a decent chance of knocking off the sleep turns before they should be over) and Drain Punch provides another form of recovery. This set abuses Scrafty's solid bulk much moreso than the DD set though it has more hard counters. Fighting+Dark gives near-perfect coverage (save Toxicroak and Heracross), but so does Fighting+Dragon and Dragon Tail allows you to phaze things trying to set up on you at the same time and/or rack up Spikes damage.

edit @ gymnotide: I'd go alert one of the mods, not post here.

.Aero

Years
Since it wasn't addressed before (because I don't think it was noticed), can we get the thread titles back from the old Comp-Battling forum? In the old one, you could tag a thread by which Generation it belonged to, so we could judge it before we entered, i.e. [Gen V], [Gen IV], etc. I thought those were kind of nifty, even if 80% of them would be [Gen V] anyway.

Wolflare has informed me that he posted a request to get this added to the forum back when CBC was opened up. They haven't gotten around to it I guess. Just be patient and I'm sure it'll be up within the week. :]

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
i really like typhlosion and charizard, they both have the exact same base stats so whaich ones should i use and what moveset for them?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
i really like typhlosion and charizard, they both have the exact same base stats so whaich ones should i use and what moveset for them?

They're both fairly unpopular although they do each have an individual niche. Typhlosion is known for a Scarf Eruption set which has to be run with a spinner or else the whole point (bringing it in with full health to get max damage) is moot due to its SR weak. Charizard will also need a rapid spinner unless you want it to be dead the second time you switch it in. ;x

Charizard's set works best with Drought - utilizing a Specs/Scarf set with the ability Solar Power which is obtainable through Dream World. Its Fire Blast receives the equivalent of 3 STAB boosts - meaning, you're gonna burn anything in your way to ashes. The Specs set 2HKOs Blissey/Chansey in the sun. That's how strong it is. ;x

Really, the only reason to use those is for their STAB Fire moves. You can run other coverage moves (like Air Slash on Charizard and Hidden Powers etc) but mostly you'll be spamming those moves so you won't have to have much else on them. 252/252 Modest/Timid is probably good for both.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
Years
Hi I'm working on a normal monotype team for some fun with my friends and was constructing a blissey because it just seems to be a special wall.

My moves are:

Seismic toss- seems like a bread & butte move for it to me.
Shadow ball- gets what seismic toss can't
Softboiled- heals
Toxic- helps in withering away opponents

Any advice on that is appreciated but what I realy would like to know is a useful item and sugjested evs for this set.

.Aero

Years
WishBliss is Blissey's best set, although it's not completely accessible on Wifi I do believe. :x If you're playing on Pokemon Online, this shouldn't be a problem, so here:

Blissey@Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Def; -Atk]
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Wish
- Protect / Softboiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss / Flamethrower

The Toxic / Flamethrower combo is only walled by Heatran, and the Seismic Toss / Toxic combo is only walled by Gengar. Protect / Softboiled is preference. Protect and Wish basically does the same, but sometimes can be risky to try and pull of, but also allows for Toxic stalling where needed. With Softboiled you don't have to worry about any of the problems that Protect / Wish have.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
I'm looking for a Weezing Counter for RU, maybe one with good synergy with Weezing, Electavire, Moltres, Krookodile and Grotle?

Thanks in advanced!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I'm looking for a Weezing Counter for RU, maybe one with good synergy with Weezing, Electavire, Moltres, Krookodile and Grotle?

Thanks in advanced!

I dunno anything that directly counters it but I'd think anything with any kind of special attack or "insert-psychic-move" would maul it, easy. Looking through the RU thread as well, it seems like Weezing isn't too incredibly popular anyway... why be worried about it? Oh, notably, Cresselia's in that tier. You could use that.

Also why are you using Grotle and not Torterra? I'm pretty sure he's not used enough to be in UU lol ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back