• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon Worlds

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Hey guys!

Just wondering if there's any Digimon World DS fans out there? Currently playing through it and in time hoping for 100% completion (though how often do I say that :- ). It's extremely difficult and frustrating but the storyline is interesting enough if you do like digimon..

What about the previous PS1 games and The later Dawn and Dusk games for the DS? What did you think of them? I had the first one for the PS1, and I was terrible at it! I don't think my digimon ever evolved into anything worthwhile! Heck, I doubt I even made much progression in the storyline at all :-P

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Never played a Digimon game. Your post caused a google search. Ther is a 3DS Digimon game coming soon to japan.

The Digimon follow behind you. If only Pokemon was doing that right now.

here's a link to the add.
http://tinyurl.com/k6gdhwo
Sweet ass animation at the beginning!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I have played the first 3 Digimon Worlds - as well as Dawn for the DS. I've beaten them, but as for DW1, I haven't even got close to 100%. I've currently got back to playing DW3 again, and playing it with a different team.

What about the previous PS1 games and The later Dawn and Dusk games for the DS? What did you think of them? I had the first one for the PS1, and I was terrible at it! I don't think my digimon ever evolved into anything worthwhile! Heck, I doubt I even made much progression in the storyline at all :-P

I was the same, until I realised what I was doing at times. I remember the first Ultimate digimon that I did get, was a Monzaemon, after putting the costume on when I had a Numemon.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I loved Digimon Worlds 2 and 3 when I was younger. 2 I only rented from Blockbuster, but only never bought it 'cause I never had a chance to. It was an interesting one. Unlike the rest, this one was a dungeon crawler. You used a mech and commanded a team of Digimon to explore the depths, and you could recruit Digimon by a game of chance. It was an interesting one, and since I didn't watch Digimon, I didn't expect to like it, but I ended up liking it alot. I don't remember it all too much, but it was certainly enjoyable at the time.

Digimon World 3 is probably the entry that got the most acclaim, and with good reason. I never did play Digimon World 1, which had micro-managing and the like, but the feel of Digimon World 3 was just a whole new ball-game. It cemented the feeling that you were in a digital world, and it shined through every part of the game. The battle system was fun, too, especially with the in-battle temporary digivolutions (something I wish Pokemon would do with evolution, sometimes). It had a great system going with a lot to do and a lot of places to explore. Plus, the digivolution system was probably my favorite of any Digimon World game. For those of you who haven't played it, I recommend it.

I did end up playing Digimon World for the DS, expecting it to be the same, but I never got the same feeling with that as I did with the originals. I did play a good deal of it, but I don't know how much I actually liked it, probably thanks to expectations...or maybe that was my true opinion. I would have finished it, but I ended up losing is somewhere. I still have the case, though, if that's any consolation.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about Digimon World 4. They were trying to diversify, and a Digimon ARPG is good in concept, but the execution wasn't so great. I really wish they'd gone further with it. Problem was, it was new ground for them, so making something so different, in terms of gameplay and mechanics, was definitely a task. It didn't end well, and we haven't had a console Digimon World since.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I've played all the Digimon games that came out in the US (except for the Savers game, which I never knew existed until recently). From World up to World Championships, if it's Digimon, I've played it. Which means that a little part of me will always hate that I'm just poor enough to never import the rest of the games from Japan. I really want the one for the 3DS and the Adventure anniversary game for the PSP. And the Wonderswan games, but that's really because I'm a fan of Adventure 02 and want to fill in the holes of that messy plotline.

Digimon World DS is my favorite out of the Digimon RPGs for the DS. Main reason is that there's a lot less dialogue to get through, I've found. Dusk/Dawn have a lot of talking going on in them. Dusk/Dawn are still good games, and I love the evolution mechanic in them, where after you evolve a Digimon they return to level one. The encounter rate hurts it, though. It's like every step I take winds up leading to a random battle. But no matter what they're still easier to raise Digimon in than the first World.

The first World game for the PS1 is ridiculous in the amount of managing the player has to do if they want a strong Digimon. There's a Let's Play of the game titled "We're using four strategy guides for this" and it's true. So much manipulating of stats and you didn't really know what stats were required for what evolution. By the time you figured it out, your Digimon dies and you start right back from the beginning. You can get Perfect Digimon if you know what you're doing, but when the game first came out, I was too young to know anything.

Digimon World 2 was my first introduction to dungeon-crawlers. I don't really remember playing this one as much. Probably because I kept restarting to see how the different teams worked out, so I never got far in this one.

For the ones released on the PS1, Digimon World 3 is my favorite. It's more of a standard RPG, though I do have to give credit to Bandai for trying different genres within the same series. This is the one for the PS1 that I got the furthest in, and I'm really upset that my game disc snapped before I could finish it.

As for Digimon World 4, it's there. I tried playing it recently, but didn't get far. It's another shift in genre, and I don't know why I just don't like playing this one.

I do recommend Digimon World DS and Dawn/Dusk. The evolution system is so easy and it's a breeze to get the best Digimon you want. The evolution requirements are shown to you, so you can plan ahead what Digimon you want. They do tend to be a little level-grindy though, but as I said, the encounter rate is so high it's not any trouble to find enemies and if you just press the confirmation button, you can just get through battles without any thought.

The Digimon follow behind you.
The majority of Digimon games have the Digimon following you. World 1, World 3, World DS, Dawn and Dusk... It's a great feature that I enjoy, even though for most of those, it doesn't add much to the game.

Arron13

Calm, Relaxed, but Competative
Years
When I was little we rented DW3 all the time, I never got to far into it, but I loved it. My friend also had DW2, but I was never allowed to borrow it. Both were amazing games and I recently was searching for these games on sites like ebay, hopefully now that I have a summer job I can afford these and get some nostalgia out of it.

Are the new ones worth getting?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
When I was little we rented DW3 all the time, I never got to far into it, but I loved it. My friend also had DW2, but I was never allowed to borrow it. Both were amazing games and I recently was searching for these games on sites like ebay, hopefully now that I have a summer job I can afford these and get some nostalgia out of it.

Are the new ones worth getting?
You might like them, but don't go into them expecting the original experiences, you'll be disappointed. I recommend checking out some videos first and seeing if you'd be interested.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
I love Digimon World! You know what I don't get! The last few games since 2010 have been Japan ONLY releases, which totally sucks for me. I really hope Decode is out in North America at some point for 3DS!

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I was the same, until I realised what I was doing at times. I remember the first Ultimate digimon that I did get, was a Monzaemon, after putting the costume on when I had a Numemon.
I didn't even get that far! *Epic fail* {XD}

Digimon World 3 is probably the entry that got the most acclaim, and with good reason. I never did play Digimon World 1, which had micro-managing and the like, but the feel of Digimon World 3 was just a whole new ball-game. It cemented the feeling that you were in a digital world, and it shined through every part of the game. The battle system was fun, too, especially with the in-battle temporary digivolutions (something I wish Pokemon would do with evolution, sometimes).
I know about the actual OMG I'm in a Digital World thing, I only just came to realise it there playing the DS one :)
It would be awesome to temporarily evolve and degenerate your Pokemon.

It had a great system going with a lot to do and a lot of places to explore. Plus, the digivolution system was probably my favorite of any Digimon World game. For those of you who haven't played it, I recommend it.

I did end up playing Digimon World for the DS, expecting it to be the same, but I never got the same feeling with that as I did with the originals. I did play a good deal of it, but I don't know how much I actually liked it, probably thanks to expectations...or maybe that was my true opinion. I would have finished it, but I ended up losing is somewhere. I still have the case, though, if that's any consolation.
No, it isn't :P

It's been so long since I played DW1 that the DS game was a big nostalgia trip for me so I just lapped it up :P

Digimon World DS is my favorite out of the Digimon RPGs for the DS. Main reason is that there's a lot less dialogue to get through, I've found. Dusk/Dawn have a lot of talking going on in them. Dusk/Dawn are still good games, and I love the evolution mechanic in them, where after you evolve a Digimon they return to level one. The encounter rate hurts it, though. It's like every step I take winds up leading to a random battle. But no matter what they're still easier to raise Digimon in than the first World.

Being honest I still find Digimon World DS quite dialogue heavy at times.

The first World game for the PS1 is ridiculous in the amount of managing the player has to do if they want a strong Digimon. There's a Let's Play of the game titled "We're using four strategy guides for this" and it's true. So much manipulating of stats and you didn't really know what stats were required for what evolution. By the time you figured it out, your Digimon dies and you start right back from the beginning. You can get Perfect Digimon if you know what you're doing, but when the game first came out, I was too young to know anything.
I'd believe the four strategy guides thing {XD} it really was extremely complex for a child like me to grasp :P

For the ones released on the PS1, Digimon World 3 is my favorite. It's more of a standard RPG, though I do have to give credit to Bandai for trying different genres within the same series. This is the one for the PS1 that I got the furthest in, and I'm really upset that my game disc snapped before I could finish it.
I wish I'd played DW3 :( I feel like Ive really missed out on something here :(

The majority of Digimon games have the Digimon following you. World 1, World 3, World DS, Dawn and Dusk... It's a great feature that I enjoy, even though for most of those, it doesn't add much to the game.
I LOVE the following feature - even in heart Gold and Soul Silver I loved it - it just feels way more companion-y than it would otherwise!

I love Digimon World! You know what I don't get! The last few games since 2010 have been Japan ONLY releases, which totally sucks for me. I really hope Decode is out in North America at some point for 3DS!
see, I don't even know of the up-and-comings, I'm that tuned out :P but the anime as far as I'm aware just didn't really do that well outside of Japan, even though I loved watching it on... Jetix? so they figure there's not enough of a fanbase for the games? Truth be told I probably wouldn't buy it unless it's cheap too...

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
I have really enjoyed the Digimon World DS and Digimon World: Dawn games but Digimon World Championship was a total let down.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Being honest I still find Digimon World DS quite dialogue heavy at times.
There was still quite a bit of dialogue, but the difference for me was that the player character talked, taking part if the conversations. In Dusk/Dawn, the player character just stood there as all the NPCs had conversations about the same events over and over. But with Digimon World DS, the conversations were at least a little more interesting because I found the characters interesting. The plot might have been a little on the boring side, but at least the characters made it interesting. Probably because there were less of them. The player character in DWDS pretty much worked alone instead of being part of a team like in Dawn/Dusk.

see, I don't even know of the up-and-comings, I'm that tuned out :P but the anime as far as I'm aware just didn't really do that well outside of Japan, even though I loved watching it on... Jetix? so they figure there's not enough of a fanbase for the games? Truth be told I probably wouldn't buy it unless it's cheap too...
Digimon probably would have been more popular if it didn't come out at the exact same time as Pokemon. Since Xros Wars is being dubbed and Bandai is seriously pushing Digimon again by releasing the old seasons on television and rebooting the toy/card line, there's a slight possibility that a Digimon video game might finally be brought over. The official image floating around does say "digital games", but if that means video games or something like those little virtual pet pedometer toys, we'll have to see.

I have really enjoyed the Digimon World DS and Digimon World: Dawn games but Digimon World Championship was a total let down.
When I tried it, I found it to be a time-waster. Not a game I could play for long stretches, but when I had a half-hour or so to waste, I could play that and get some enjoyment out of it.

Back