• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Pixel Art Discussion Thread

Years
I hope this does not constitute "bumping" an old thread since it is a main discussion thread.

Anyway, I wanted to suggest an X/Y theme for the next pixel art competition.
We could possibly sprite an evolution for one of the starters or something to that effect.

Years
Yes, I've been planning to make the next WPC theme involving Generation 6 and it's actually up right now. Still haven't been able to find anything.. formidable or top-notch regarding the judging component. I'm still thinking about having polls with a strict ruleset.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Awesome theme :D I've been in the Pokemon drawing mood lately so I am definitely going to enter this one! Second ever Pokemon sprite here we go haha. Are we allowed completely creativity in terms of typing etc? Like for instance the Fire Pokemon sprouts out insanely large metal rods (bad example but yea).

Years
Yes, I've been planning to make the next WPC theme involving Generation 6 and it's actually up right now. Still haven't been able to find anything.. formidable or top-notch regarding the judging component. I'm still thinking about having polls with a strict ruleset.

Excellent! Look forward to entering.

Years
All creativity concerning the typing is completely up to you. Let your imagination wander, maybe even a Fire/Water. :D

I hope everyone has fun with this one, and as we approach closer and closer to Pokemon X and Y there will be (most likely) more themes relating to the new generation. But I don't want to overdo it.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Yeah, and don't always make it strictly scratch too. Not everyone has the same talents.

What I wanted to say concerns the judging system of WPC. I do not think voting is a really a good idea since:

• People would vote for their friends/pals/people who have done them favours before
  • People would vote for the more reputed people, i.e, if two people posted sprites of the same quality, people would generally vote for the more famous or active person in this forum, thus not giving beginners a chance, even though they make awesome sprites.
  • MOST importantly there is lack of activity around here and vote turnup would very less.
But there wouldn't be much of a choice, so yeah.

Another thing, I can never get my curves and textures right, and that's pretty bad since I have started scratching and stuff, can someone help?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I think the ideal way to handle judging would be for all submissions to be via PM, then posted in a voting thread where people can each use two votes on their favorites, which won't have the creator's name attached. There will always be people who encourage their friends to vote for theirs, but the two vote system should mitigate that at least a little. Putting the voting thread on a more active forum would probably increase participation, if Logiedan can swing it.

Regarding your curves, Creampuff, it looks like you're running into two main problems: you're trying to make your sprites too small, and you're not adding enough "stages" to the rounding. To smoothly round from a horizontal line to a vertical one, you need to transition with shorter lines and single pixels. To get a good idea of what makes rounding look smooth, try zooming in with your art program of choice and playing with the circle tool. Start with the smallest circle, and slowly scale it up; you should see it pass through a few phases where it looks less round, which should show you what to avoid.

2iu3v41.png

Here's your Zhyfeed sprite, recreated with rounder parts. Obviously it's a little too smooth, with stripes rather than segments and no defined mantle on the thorax, but this should give you a general idea. As for texturing, it's a bit harder to explain... You should try looking at some Pokemon sprites very closely. I always recommend trying to combine Pokemon sprites into original creatures when you're first starting out; not fusions, but your own designs made from existing parts. Having to combine arms, bodies, wings, and tails from sprites with different shapes and shading helps you to figure out things like how the sprites are shaded.

Last edited:
Years
Generally, the art gallery lacks activity although I can say Derozio has done a great job renovating the Art & Design forums and it is more active than usual. I think it's possible for the voting thread to be in the Art & Design forum rather than its subforums.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Yes, I think it should be like that. Most people just come here to their shop/showcase thread and see any new posts, reply to them and go off the forum. That is the main reason why it is so inactive. Besides, many active people in the Art & Design forum may get interested in Pixel Art too! Who knows?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Unfortunately, it seems that some or all of PokeInfuse's work is not his own. While there's nothing inherently wrong with pixel-overs, he appears to have been passing the art off as his own.

Spoiler:

Again, there's nothing wrong with pixel-overs, I just think he should be clear about which designs are and are not his own.

Last edited:

IStreamSandwich

[b][i]Returning to be your Shield[/i][/b]
Years
I dont see how alerting the whole community to the fact i do Pixel Overs (oh the horror) was necessary. If you had VM'ed me and explained that you think i should say they're pixel overs, then i probably wouldn't have thought anything of it and actually updated the first post.
But you decide to try and get me into trouble.
Pixel overs are still a form of Spriting are they not ?

Also, as a side note, nowhere have i been passing these off as my own. I just thought as it's a pixel art area, and these are pixel art, that nobody would mind. It's not like i'm claiming complete rights to it and trying to sell them.
Just VM me next time you have a problem with me.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
As I said, there's nothing wrong with pixel-overs, and I've even written a tutorial to teach non-spriters a basic method for doing it. The issue is that you made no attempt to make it known that the designs weren't yours, and by default anything you post is assumed to be your own work. The most glaring example of this is the WPC, the rules of which include the sprite be drawn from scratch and being an original design.

That being said, I don't have a problem with you; this forum just has strict rules regarding what can be considered art theft.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Keep things on topic here guys. In future Chesu, if you have an issue regarding a member, feel free to take it up with a staff member. There's nothing inherently wrong here so it's just going to slide. Just keep things on-topic and about Pixel Art, alright guys? Thanks a bunch!

Years
Chesu has proven his case really well, all you really need to do is credit the creator of the artwork and design. Nothing is wrong with pixel-overs and what you're doing, but if you say: "I made the fakemon myself. Here's my artwork and pixel-over." etc. etc. then we're going to run into some problems. You can link to the original artist as well which would be really helpful to prevent more of these situations. This is more or less considered fanart.

If anything, I encourage you to do some more, but like I said, give credit where credit is due. Pixel-overs are considered sprite art but it's not completely scratch work which most pixel artists move onto. I personally am a fan of them but it doesn't help teach you the fundamentals of shading if you are trying to transfer the artwork's shading onto the sprite work.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
Oh, I think Pixel-Overs are simply plain. It doesn't teach you much, maybe just straightening the edges or something but all the Pixel-Overs I've made were fairly easy. I Pixel-Over a lot, and even my current avatar is one.

So yeah, new topic:

Do you find it hard to get your textures right?

I mean, textures are important right? They basically show you the shading style. The easiest way to get it right is just copy up a similar Pokémon. But sometimes, I just feel that we should do more than that. And I find that hard.

Years
Textures are important, but a lot of it is in Pokemon sprites when there's mostly fur. The shading is more simple in Pokemon sprites I guess; textures should be used more, but I think more subtle.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Fine, so I want to discuss about the new topic : Retypes.

I don't know, it's just my general opinion, but people almost never retype the Pokémon into normal. I've had some tough times with it, so I want to ask, how do you make a Pokémon Normal typed? After I remove it's 'elemental features' and give it a recolour, it just ends up looking unfinished. I don't know why. Any help?

Also, small clarification:

Is it compulsory to retype a Pokémon into a new type created by yourself?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Retyping is kind of a choose your battles sort of thing. For example, while you could replace Roselia's roses with boxing gloves to make it Fighting, trying to remove Ninjask's bug features would be impossible without almost completely redrawing it. This is true for the majority of Pokemon based on birds, bugs, plants, and sea life, though there are some exceptions; you could fairly easily make Cacturne look like a Normal-type scarecrow. The key to retyping is replacing features rather than removing them, which I think is the problem you're running into. Normal would probably be the most difficult to retype to though, since they don't really have an equivalent to leaves or rocks... They're just normal. If you think about the general shape of the part that you want to replace, however, you should be able to some up with something (a ribbon, a balloon, a tuft of hair) that will work.

As for the WPC, yes, I believe that the goal is to come up with an entirely new type and to retype a Pokemon to that.

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
i did retyping a lot, like a lot, but my works are lost and i can tell you about retyping a pokemon to normal.

it is very difficult, since normal type pokemons came in every shape, every colour. but they have things like this in common

pink-pinkish colour(yellow comes second)
fur. lots of fur.
puffy things
blank areas.(like consider a ursaring, it has a very very big and blank body right?)
being not too much spiky(like not having horns or something like that)

these things make a pokemon to look like they are normal type imho. they aren't %100 accurate homever, but i guess when retyping a pokemon, if you use these things carefully, pokemon will look like normal type.

Back