• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Years
I mean will any npc know that i became the champion and tell it his/her dialogue that im the champion

I just find it weird how you beat a league and become the champion and nobody knows your the champ

And it would be fun if after beating league instead of fighting all elite four and champion again and have them act the same as if you didnt beat the league already make it like your the champ and other trainers challenge you xD
Just a crazy suggestion :D

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
Played up to 3rd Gym so far. Loved the events that happened on the ship, great work.

There's a tiny overlay error with a tile in Cerulean Gym, specifically the tile above Jim Gai, the water goes over Red's hat. Just a tiny thing but I thought I'd point that out.

Will trainers be rematchable? Or just Gym Leaders and the Elite Four?

Iceman3k

Kickin' it Tribal GO Style
Years
I mean will any npc know that i became the champion and tell it his/her dialogue that im the champion

I just find it weird how you beat a league and become the champion and nobody knows your the champ

And it would be fun if after beating league instead of fighting all elite four and champion again and have them act the same as if you didnt beat the league already make it like your the champ and other trainers challenge you xD
Just a crazy suggestion :D

It wasn't like that, even in other games. Also, not being able to rematch the E4 basically removes any replay value of the game afterwards.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 3, 2014
this game looks very awesome but i would like the game even more it if you could add animated sprites like the ones from Pokemon Emerald

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=223078

Yeah, it'd be nifty, but it really isn't an important feature. Maybe have it added in if CR (or someone else related to the project) feels like it after the final version is out, but I don't really think it's worth bothering at the moment.
The only people actively involved with DarkViolet is me and MrDollSteak (same with the 64x64 sprite project), and I can say that I have no plans to implement this feature. That method in the link you posted isn't even true Emerald-style animation, it's just two frames going back and forth (not to mention other side effects of that method, being that the Pokemon would animate at any instance it is drawn on the screen, even if you're just checking your bag during a battle and exit), while Emerald uses all kinds of effects like sprite rotation and even palette glowing (Milotic). It would be cool, but it's not really worth it IMO, not to mention that neither me nor MrDollSteak want to produce second frame Pokemon sprites. If we did, it would be a huge pain in the donkey for reasons I don't feel like going into detail right now.

EDIT: btw just thought I should mention that I have plans for a Beta 2.2 which should be coming sometime soon. It will be another bug fix release fixing Solar Power (already fixed by MrDollSteak) among other things.

If you guys encounter the level up freeze bug, please give me more details than just "it froze lol". Like, tell me what trainer and what Pokemon you were using, held item, level, etc. I still have not encountered it on VBA, but I believe you guys that the bug is there, and would like to fix it for Beta 2.2. So please, if it happens, give me as many details as you can so I can replicate it. In fact, it would be really helpful for me if someone could find a scenario in which it ALWAYS happens. So far from reports it seems that it only happens in levels 30+.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
I think the level up bug happens randomly, i restarted the game from a previous point in Silph Co, and it didn't happen again. My pidgeot is holding a silk scarf. Also flash cannon messes up the display quite a lot but it doesn't freeze the game for me (i'm playing on gpsphone on iPad 4) hope this somewhat helps in fixing the bug, and i just finished the game today. :D

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
If you guys encounter the level up freeze bug, please give me more details than just "it froze lol". Like, tell me what trainer and what Pokemon you were using, held item, level, etc. I still have not encountered it on VBA, but I believe you guys that the bug is there, and would like to fix it for Beta 2.2. So please, if it happens, give me as many details as you can so I can replicate it. In fact, it would be really helpful for me if someone could find a scenario in which it ALWAYS happens. So far from reports it seems that it only happens in levels 30+.
This hasn't happened always, but it has happened consistently a few times, so this might be something to note. I have experienced the level up freeze bug two times. The first time was the rival battle with Green in the SS Anne (I wasn't using the correct rom dump this time). I was using my Porygon, which I got from the Scyther-Porygon trade, and the game would freeze every time I leveled up Porygon. This didn't happen with my other pokemon. The second time was against a trainer on route 13, this time with the correct rom dump. (sorry I forgot the trainer's name) Anyway, I was using a Lucky Egg to train my pokemon, and the game froze when my pokemon leveled up against that trainer. In my opinion, there could be a glitch in the experience boost that traded pokemon and pokemon that hold the lucky egg get. This hasn't happened always, but its something to note.

Trainer 781

Sucker punch fails when the opponent uses the custom move 'brain freeze' otherwise it is working fine.

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2017
I experienced the freezing glitch just once when I was battling with my Steelix against a Weezing in Cycling Road. The game freezed when Steelix level up. Luckily i had a save state before defeating Weezing, so i switched into my Rapidash instead. Steelix leveled up though but the game did not freeze.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
First off, Nice hack best by far(imo). But I was wondering if you can add shroomish/Breloom? Since you added technician Breloom would be perfect. and since there isn't really good (physical) grass types.

Years
The only people actively involved with DarkViolet is me and MrDollSteak (same with the 64x64 sprite project), and I can say that I have no plans to implement this feature. That method in the link you posted isn't even true Emerald-style animation, it's just two frames going back and forth (not to mention other side effects of that method, being that the Pokemon would animate at any instance it is drawn on the screen, even if you're just checking your bag during a battle and exit), while Emerald uses all kinds of effects like sprite rotation and even palette glowing (Milotic). It would be cool, but it's not really worth it IMO, not to mention that neither me nor MrDollSteak want to produce second frame Pokemon sprites. If we did, it would be a huge pain in the donkey for reasons I don't feel like going into detail right now.

EDIT: btw just thought I should mention that I have plans for a Beta 2.2 which should be coming sometime soon. It will be another bug fix release fixing Solar Power (already fixed by MrDollSteak) among other things.

Well the freeze mostly happened when I was fighting Team Rocket grunts or executives. It is somewhere in the 40s and it happened with Electabuzz, Gengar and Scizor. Now do u get it?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I experienced the freezing glitch just once when I was battling with my Steelix against a Weezing in Cycling Road. The game freezed when Steelix level up. Luckily i had a save state before defeating Weezing, so i switched into my Rapidash instead. Steelix leveled up though but the game did not freeze.
Mind telling me which specific trainer on Cycling Road? And what level was your Steelix?

Well the freeze mostly happened when I was fighting Team Rocket grunts or executives. It is somewhere in the 40s and it happened with Electabuzz, Gengar and Scizor. Now do u get it?
Um, no. I'm doing another playthrough and still haven't experienced it. Can you tell me the specific trainer that caused the freeze? Out of everyone that has reported the level-up freeze glitch, no one has said what specific trainer caused it.

Are you planning to add a day/night system to this hack at some point, like in beta 3/final release?
Nope.

Any idea when the final version will be released?
I have absolutely no idea.

Since this beta goes up to Silph Co and Sabrina, I'm assuming that this beta goes up to the 7th gym, as Sabrina is now the 7th gym leader. Am I right?
Yes, you can obtain seven Gym Badges in Beta 2.

Back