• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Welcome to the Myoto region!

Which starter would you choose?

• Cycadino-Cycasaur-Petaldon

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Bunnignite-Rabblaze-Rabburst

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Finsh-Eddylphin-Maelstream

Votes: 18 32.1%

• Total voters

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Well, I like the creativity that went into some of these. But I had one thought when I saw these:

Di Di Di Digimon
Digimon Digital Monsters
Digimon are the champions

Sorry, but that´s the first thought that came to my head. They just have the digimon style...not saying that it´s bad, just saying i don´t recognize them as pokemon. I´d like to see this finished though.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
#042(802) -- Sensurm - Bug

Well, I like the creativity that went into some of these. But I had one thought when I saw these:

Di Di Di Digimon
Digimon Digital Monsters
Digimon are the champions

Sorry, but that´s the first thought that came to my head. They just have the digimon style...not saying that it´s bad, just saying i don´t recognize them as pokemon. I´d like to see this finished though.

Just saying they look like digimon is the oldest and lamest comment a fakemon artist can get.
I don't know at all what you mean by that.
-Do any of the designs look like specific digimon?
I don't know, because I haven't looked much at most of them and they were not inspiration for any of my fakemon if that was the case.
-Does the shading style not look sugimori enough, but somehow rmeinds of digimon one?
I'm not trying to immitate sugimoris shading style, as mine is a simple 1 shade 1 highlight, to make it more simple and less time consuming, so I can focus more on the shapes and colors. But regardless, I highly doubt digimon are drawn any more similar to my style than sugimori pokemon.
-Does the amount and frequency of certain shapes and details remind of digimon?
I remember seeing much more complex details on digimon (even clothes and weapons), and way less care about how these are distributed, less sense of balance in the designs.

Why? What? Did newer generations look like digimon to you when you first saw them?

"I'm not saying its bad" is not a valid excuse for not elaborating anything at all.

:/

Its not like I don't want people to post at all, but if the post basically doesn't say anything, then what's the point?

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
#042(802) -- Sensurm - Bug

Just saying they look like digimon is the oldest and lamest comment a fakemon artist can get.
I don't know at all what you mean by that.
-Do any of the designs look like specific digimon?
I don't know, because I haven't looked much at most of them and they were not inspiration for any of my fakemon if that was the case.
-Does the shading style not look sugimori enough, but somehow rmeinds of digimon one?
I'm not trying to immitate sugimoris shading style, as mine is a simple 1 shade 1 highlight, to make it more simple and less time consuming, so I can focus more on the shapes and colors. But regardless, I highly doubt digimon are drawn any more similar to my style than sugimori pokemon.
-Does the amount and frequency of certain shapes and details remind of digimon?
I remember seeing much more complex details on digimon (even clothes and weapons), and way less care about how these are distributed, less sense of balance in the designs.

Why? What? Did newer generations look like digimon to you when you first saw them?

"I'm not saying its bad" is not a valid excuse for not elaborating anything at all.

:/

Its not like I don't want people to post at all, but if the post basically doesn't say anything, then what's the point?

(Most of the spoilers are images, for some reason they won't shrink and them being so big is obnoxious...)

Sorry, my fault for not elaborating...

Firstly, the shading style isn't digimon, but it's most definetely not Sugimori (at least I don't see it that way). The color tones are sort of... intense. The color tones in the official artwork is more softer, I find these ones "hard".

Spoiler:

I compared Sinistrunk to to Shiftry, the most similar Pokemon I could think of. See the difference?

Of course, the simplistic shading magnifies this. Still, I feel the Sugimori tones are harmonius, but these are strong and sort of battle for attention. I have a few more examples.

Spoiler:
Another thing, apart from the harsh tones, are the random color combinations on some of these. In pokemon, the colors on a pokemon are considered and coordinated to be (once again) harmonius, but here it feels (on some pokemon, others were better) you stuck them on randomly to grab attention, which is VERY characteristic of Digimon.

images

It hurts my eyes!

Spoiler:

Another issue with detail is the seemingly random patterns on some.
Spoiler:

Whenever you felt a pokemon was sort of empty, you put a bunch of paterns on (in a few cases, in colors that disrupt the color scheme). Sound familiar?
Spoiler:

(Just to make this clear: the following isn't directed at your designs, it's just explaining why I don't like the patterns. You barely overdesign a few, and the rest are fine.)

I feel this greatly disrupts the 'natural' theme I get from Pokemon. Most of the pokemon feel more or less realistic. Obviously, I don't mean Rattata realistic (that's just unorginal) or that floating dream-eating tapirs are realistic, but they aren't overachievers. They know not to overdesign a pokemon and to keep the design fairly simplistic.

Next, answering the "do you think the new pokemon look like digimon" question: absolutely not. The differences aren't from generation to generation, but from Sugimori to yours. I think the reasons above explain that.

Lastly, the "do any particular designs remind you of digimon?" question.
I'm kind of short on time won't go in depth with all, but here's one I found...coincidental.

Spoiler:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
Oh My Arceus!
Look man, I'll go straight forward to the point. You shouldn't feel down if your art is criticized, creating one Pokemon is one HUGE task. It needs tons of creativity and consideration. You must feel proud, you just designed idk..r they 100? Anyway, 100 designing isn't an instant. Its something extremely difficult. I do agree with the above poster that adding patterns was a way to hide their emptiness, it is not appealing but I DONT CARE. Creating a basic Pokemon is harder than it may seem. You did a very good job, keep it up....

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2011
I believe I glanced at this on another forum, and now that I'm taking the time to slow down and look at all of it, I'm very impressed!

You do a very good job of capturing the Pokemon style: reminiscent of real-world creatures, but not overwhelmingly so; unique yet intuitively familiar at the same time. I really like the Fire starter and its transition from sweet and cuddly to something far more menacing.

Looking up, I'm really not seeing the 'looks like digimon' thing. I'm by no means an expert but the quality of lines are totally different between the two styles. Even when drawing spiky things, Pokemon look a lot rounder and softer than Digimon; it's a different system of stylization and you're very much on the Pokemon side of things.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
(Most of the spoilers are images, for some reason they won't shrink and them being so big is obnoxious...)

Sorry, my fault for not elaborating...

Firstly, the shading style isn't digimon, but it's most definetely not Sugimori (at least I don't see it that way). The color tones are sort of... intense. The color tones in the official artwork is more softer, I find these ones "hard".

Spoiler:

I compared Sinistrunk to to Shiftry, the most similar Pokemon I could think of. See the difference?

Of course, the simplistic shading magnifies this. Still, I feel the Sugimori tones are harmonius, but these are strong and sort of battle for attention. I have a few more examples.

Spoiler:
Another thing, apart from the harsh tones, are the random color combinations on some of these. In pokemon, the colors on a pokemon are considered and coordinated to be (once again) harmonius, but here it feels (on some pokemon, others were better) you stuck them on randomly to grab attention, which is VERY characteristic of Digimon.

images

It hurts my eyes!

Spoiler:

Another issue with detail is the seemingly random patterns on some.
Spoiler:

Whenever you felt a pokemon was sort of empty, you put a bunch of paterns on (in a few cases, in colors that disrupt the color scheme). Sound familiar?
Spoiler:

(Just to make this clear: the following isn't directed at your designs, it's just explaining why I don't like the patterns. You barely overdesign a few, and the rest are fine.)

I feel this greatly disrupts the 'natural' theme I get from Pokemon. Most of the pokemon feel more or less realistic. Obviously, I don't mean Rattata realistic (that's just unorginal) or that floating dream-eating tapirs are realistic, but they aren't overachievers. They know not to overdesign a pokemon and to keep the design fairly simplistic.

Next, answering the "do you think the new pokemon look like digimon" question: absolutely not. The differences aren't from generation to generation, but from Sugimori to yours. I think the reasons above explain that.

Lastly, the "do any particular designs remind you of digimon?" question.
I'm kind of short on time won't go in depth with all, but here's one I found...coincidental.

Spoiler:

Dude, now that's a response :D

I do see the intensity of the colors being too high, and the fact you picked Sinistrunk as example is a confirmation, as its been bothering me for a long time.
There was a point when I thought "why do I bother about the colors being too saturated if I don't care about the shading not being even close to sugimoris style, my focus is the design, shapes and the color choices and combinations..". For example way back, like 3 years, when I made Cycadino, after it was done, I have tried changing it so the colors are less intense about 5 times, hence why its so light green. You can see it was actually quite a dark tone of green from it's sprite I made one time
4f3833d58a5ecce9d44c2fa289090fb0-d3dquw8.png

001_Cycadino_by_Saiph_Charon.png

I will go through the myoto fakemon and adjust them a bit soon as I don't like the current saturation on a few others myself.

As for the color combinations, they are not random, at all.
I mean I didnt just go for whatever colors.
Even when I'm already sure on the perfect combination for a fakemon Im currently working on for weeks already, when its done, I still try changing the Hue of each color around to see how it would look in comparison.

Look at the examples you picked again. If these are the worse you found, I think I'm doing fine. Snowg has white-lightblue-blue-purple, which is totally fine. Swimroach with its blue-orange contrast, yea it's harsh, but we've seen such before,
200px-567Archeops.png
373Salamence.png

300px-193Yanma.png

Magneans blue stripes however really may be too much. My inspiration were the main legends of Ruby/Sapphire.

The patterns are a regular part of pokemon designs just as much.
190px-168Ariados.png
143px-641Tornadus.png

I actually have a folder on my desktop with sugimori artworks and sugimori artwork sheets sorted by types etc, which I browse through quite a lot, especially when I'm concerned that I'm going too far with something on a particular fakemon. And I thought I spend too much time on all overanalyzing of the official ones instead of making the actual art lol.

Thanks very much for the post, it did show me some things I didn't notice.

Oh My Arceus!
Look man, I'll go straight forward to the point. You shouldn't feel down if your art is criticized, creating one Pokemon is one HUGE task. It needs tons of creativity and consideration. You must feel proud, you just designed idk..r they 100? Anyway, 100 designing isn't an instant. Its something extremely difficult. I do agree with the above poster that adding patterns was a way to hide their emptiness, it is not appealing but I DONT CARE. Creating a basic Pokemon is harder than it may seem. You did a very good job, keep it up....

I dont feel down at all from it being criticized, it's just depressing when the only criticism you get in months doesn't remotely help to figure out how I could improve, and even includes an imitation of a digimon theme song.

Thank you :)

I believe I glanced at this on another forum, and now that I'm taking the time to slow down and look at all of it, I'm very impressed!

You do a very good job of capturing the Pokemon style: reminiscent of real-world creatures, but not overwhelmingly so; unique yet intuitively familiar at the same time. I really like the Fire starter and its transition from sweet and cuddly to something far more menacing.

Looking up, I'm really not seeing the 'looks like digimon' thing. I'm by no means an expert but the quality of lines are totally different between the two styles. Even when drawing spiky things, Pokemon look a lot rounder and softer than Digimon; it's a different system of stylization and you're very much on the Pokemon side of things.

Im curious, do you mean Bunnignite or Fluemur?
I had the feeling Bunnignite was always like the neglected one of the myoto starters looking at multiple poll results but not sure why..

Thanks for checking them out closer, Ive put quite some time into this hobby of mine and Ill try completing Urora too, which should be a harder task with my oldest, most remade and original ideas used up for Myoto and the higher goal number.

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
Years
Hi there. ~
So much work! I'm impressed how dedicated you are to this project! Wow...

I've a couple of thoughts though...

You say you're trying to emulate Sugimoris style but I think you might not be actually looking and what he draws and how he draws hard enough to really do it justice.
(Though I personally think developing your own style would be best, I understand what you're aiming for so I'll just crit there)

I'm not trying to offend you by saying that, so please don't feel hurt!
I think you might be using the baize tool, or something similar to create your lines? If you are, I think you should stop, and start actually drawing your lines. It may look worst at first but I can guarantee it'll make it better overall. Even if you're not using a tool like that... The problem with your lines at the moment is they are all gentle curves. There's no variation to create interest or give the mons a sense of form. It doesn't do your sense of proportion any justice at all, and that's never good :'(

I'd also like to say, try varying the line width (just look at sugimoris stuff for this) the line changes thickness and tapers off in various places, so it looks more natural and like what you're trying to achieve. That will help you alot, too.

I guess that would be it, for me. The volume of work you've produced is incredible, but I'd really like to see you take it to the next level.

All the best. :')

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
Thanks for the comment :3

I am not trying to mimic the Sugimori style, hence why the shading is simple and lineart thicker than on actual quality pokemon art. Its so I can focus on making interesting designs and concepts. (also progress is slow enough even without trying to do it better than this).

I was gonna try to do some, but even if it turns out good, I dont think Id remake the 130 in it and do the upcoming 130 in anything more compley than current approach.

Not sure how to properly describe what Im doing, but Im trying to make fakemon which fit next to the actual pokemon, if sugimori or someone redid them into the same style.
I want the same quality of interesting combinations of shapes, colors, patterns, ideas and concepts.

So I get that Im not looking at "how he draws", but did you mean "what he draws" too?
Cause then its a complete disaster and I might as well start anew XD
If my fakemon don't look like pokemon (apart from the style not matching), THATs what I would want feedback about, so please elaborate if thats the case.

Oh and if you wanna know how I do the lineart, its probably the crappiest way ever:
I scan the sketch when it looks good and close enough to what I imagined it, then I go over it with the line tool in photoshop; meaning I drag hundreds of short lines one after another :B

Last edited:

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
Years
To be honest I haven't analysed pokemon design enough to comment on any concepts, but on a basic level I'd just say that your fakemon are a mixed bag in that respect, some of them look very much like things I can imagine being pokemon, and others not so much.

I can't help but feel that some of that has to do with the choice of colour and tone. Some of the more successful designs are less saturated and the eye design is simpler. But in that respect that's all I can offer you. Like I say, I've never analysed it. Sorry that may not be very useful, but I'm trying my best to help you.

The 'what he draws' only meant 'how he draws what he draws' but since you've disregarded the Sugi related comments I made on that with 'style' I don't think discussing that any further is a good idea.

Instead I'll say I think that your style is a little mismatched. The lines are bulky and solid, but your shading is soft, I'm going to just say, read the bit I said before about working on your lineart here. Because I'd still say it again.

I can't understand why when you hand-draw all of these anyway you go over them in the line tool. Like I said before, the constant gentle curves don't do the form of the mons any justice; you should have variation in both thickness and dynamics. The line tool is hard to control, hand drawing the lineart, traditionally or digitally will make it better and since you start out with that anyway that should be easy for you to handle. :')

Well, good luck, I have nothing else to suggest for you!

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I never said Im imitating sugimoris style, I only said on the previous page that I'm not.

I use the line tool cause I haven't figured out any easier way to keep the hand drawn curves accurate. I dont like to further mess with the physical sketch once I like it (like going over with a pen or similar...)

Years
What caught my attention most were your badges. They're very sleek and pretty and I adore the designs! My favorite is probably the badge with the two mountains - for the ground gym, I assume? :3

You've got some super cool fakemon here; I think my favorite is Fluekos and the fire starter. I'm normally not a fan of fire types but yours are very likeable :D Also, I love your additions to the Kangaskhan line. Kanganile in particular is adorable!

Can't wait to see more!

Back