• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Senator calls video games "a bigger problem than guns"

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
An actual US senator claimed that video games are a bigger problem than guns earlier today on MSNBC (via DailyKOS).
When host Chuck Todd asked about universal background checks, the inexplicably elected Tennessee Republican Lamar Alexander abruptly changed the topic to video games.
"I think video games is a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people," he said.
Well, sure, video games do affect people - I was quite affected myself by that thing that happened at the end of The Walking Dead season one - but I'm not sure it was as affecting as a bullet in the lungs would be.
At least not all US senators are this delusional. An avid World of Warcraft player won the election for State Senate in Maine last year after a hilarious smear campaign against her gaming ways.

source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...called-video-games-a-bigger-problem-than-guns

Honestly, this is just stupid. I don't really know what goes on in the minds of these crazy people. People are blaming video games for the craziness that goes around and that's just sad. Are there any people here who agree with this guy? I mean, I showed it to some adults and they...kinda agreed. According to them, whatever you see/experience does affect your brain to a certain degree. So, according to them, playing Bulletstorm would make you become a psycho killer who kills people creatively. :<

I really liked this response to the video, by the way:
yt commenter said:
This Senator is clearly right. As is everyone who says Video Games are more dangerous than guns.
I mean, have you seen the damage they can do? I once saw a game disc decapitate a clay model! Imagine the damage this could cause to a person!
imagine if someone with a good throwing arm decides to go on a rampage with video games. I for one do not want to have this happen. BAN THE GAMES!!!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yes, something made for entertainment is the reason that people are mad. People are the problem. Not games. Not guns. People.

TY commenter is obviously an overprotective parent and needs to take a seat. I hope they have a ton of dislikes. Or maybe they're trolling. A Video game disc took out a clay model...okay because humans totally aren't thicker than clay.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
So many people use games as a scapegoat for any violent act that gets committed. Yes, there are some people that can't handle violent video games without being influenced by them, but the vast majority of gamers are mature enough to not be influenced to go shoot someone after a round of Call of Duty. If anything, it helps you take out your frustrations on something inanimate.

Games are an entertainment medium, just like movies or books, yet you don't see people railing against violent movies. There's a horrible double standard when it comes to violence in games, perhaps because they're an "interactive" medium.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
At this point, only old people take that crap seriously anymore. And they won't be around for much longer, anyway.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Games are an entertainment medium, just like movies or books, yet you don't see people railing against violent movies. There's a horrible double standard when it comes to violence in games, perhaps because they're an "interactive" medium.
I think it's mostly because gaming is a new medium, with the interactivity conveniently being there to use as an excuse.
That is, even if gaming weren't interactive, they'd still be going after it.

xRice

LAB 126
Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2013
In all seriousness the only only who have been killed because of video games are the one that excessively play video games and died because starvation for long hours of gaming...

Years
Why would you blame this stuff on video games? People let themselves be effected by video games if at all. As mentioned throughout this thread, video games are for entertainment purposes, there is no evidence that they are to blame for crimes going on in the US. There may have been a few (seriously not even much) cases where this has happened, but video games were just part of it and people aren't gonna be like "Killing people in a game is fun so imma do it in real life" unless they are weak-minded or parents' have done a bad job with letting them think this way. Recently, in English news, a pensioner said that playing games helped her in many ways and there were several people commenting agreeing with her.

Millions of people play video games; the vast majority of them love playing video games and it is a good source of entertainment. However, the vast minority of people are letting there minds be manipulated by the joys of gaming.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Well technically guns nor video games are at fault, but the persons using them. But obviously guns are great, and video games killed all the recent victims to the violence that's been spreading lately.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Ugh... Not this topic again... And again from the U.S... (no particular meaning in that) I am seriously getting tired of these people. They always take videogames as their target. Nobody ever talks about the effects of movies or tv-shows this much. Is it simply because videogames are so young form of media? (compared to others)

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I think they don't like video games because they think you play 24 hours. That's a lie. And...worse than gun...? That's stupid. Very stupid. Video games can only affect the eyes...it's not worse than guns...only adults agree with that. They agree only because there weren't video games in their years.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Wasn't it already concluded that video games are not dangerous and are now part of 1st Amendment law by the California court a few years back?

Ugh... Not this topic again... And again from the U.S... (no particular meaning in that) I am seriously getting tired of these people. They always take videogames as their target. Nobody ever talks about the effects of movies or tv-shows this much. Is it simply because videogames are so young form of media? (compared to others)

Movies and TV shows had their fair share of being blamed by the government back in their time, along with rap music, rock music, R&B music, CGI, etc.

NatureKeeper

Ladies and Gentlemen, you can clearly see the effects of crack cocaine on the US senator. Protect your sanity. Don't do drugs.

...Seriously, what? Video Games do affect people, but so do movies, so do TV series and everything. The older generation just doesn't get something they weren't raised doing. Seriously, now...

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
All of these blame games on video games piss me off. Most of the blaming is done by middle aged and older adults who have never even held a controller in their life.

Sydian nailed it, people are the problem.

It's easier for news media to blame something blatantly violent like video games as opposed to going on the air and saying, 'Humanity sucks and are greedy, naturally violent, selfish pigs. Cut to commercial.' Plus it gives them tons of ratings, which is really what it's all about.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Yeah yeah, whatever.

I think one of my classmates is going to use this in his thesis statement, as he's arguing about something like how those who use violence in video games used as evidence against them usually comes from people who have no experience with them. It's probably going to be a big time validity thing, which is pretty cool. I'd love to see what he comes up with (and he can probably state what his thesis is actually about way better than I paraphrased).

People just want a scapegoat. God forbid parents do their job.

Honest

Hi!
Years
If you're going to make that argument, then you can say the same thing about books or music, or anything that shows of creative thinking. It's a stupid argument, period.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The guy's a Republican, lol. I'm not surprised by his statement.

My best friend is a Conservative and loves FPS games, and actually used to mod this section of PC. So...no need to generalize the whole party by this bad seed's statement. I'm sure there are Democrats that think this too.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
This is actually a really good way to decide which people should vote for the election. Anyone who believes this garbage shouldn't be allowed to vote and the people who think that this is just another tasteless scapegoat should have the privilege to vote.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
PURE STUPID.
It is like a dog, it isn't the dog that is dangerous, it is the owner.
Games aren't dangerous, the player is.

Back