• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Routes 12 to 15 troubles

Years
Hello friends/mortal enemies that I don't know yet!

I was playing Yellow today and traveled to Fuchsia City via Saffron City after beating Erika (I had lemonade and I wasn't afraid to use it). There were so many trainers on this path that I was wondering why I didn't leave any ethers in my bag as i started running out of PP at the end. The bird tamers with Fearows and those last few bikers really slowed me down, and I was almost worried I wouldn't make it all the way.

I'm glad I went through this route because it prepared me for Koga's poisonous and tricksey defensive pokes at the end of route 15, but it was still a pain without a healing spot in the middle of the routes, and on the next playthrough I'm just going to take Cycling road and after I get to Fuchsia, work my way up north starting at route 15 after I'm done with that grassy lady Erika.

Any suggestions on how to go through this way other than stocking up on potions, antidotes, and scavenged ethers? At the time, my party was Pikachu, Charmeleon/Charizard, Wartortle, Ivysaur, and a Mankey/Primeape.

Shadeh

KABOOM!
Years
Lead out with Wartortle, he is relatively a good tank, attackers will die easily, always lead out with defensive in emergency......or at least thats how I do it

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Hmm...you definitely want to go for a sweeping strategy (i.e., do your best to take them all out in one hit before they get the chance to fight back). If I remember right, there's a lot of fishers and birdkeepers there. Use Pikachu and/or Ivysaur to wipe them out. If necessary, backtrack to a previous city and use a Pokemon center, rather than using items.

Years
Hmm...you definitely want to go for a sweeping strategy (i.e., do your best to take them all out in one hit before they get the chance to fight back). If I remember right, there's a lot of fishers and birdkeepers there. Use Pikachu and/or Ivysaur to wipe them out. If necessary, backtrack to a previous city and use a Pokemon center, rather than using items.

I was trying to get through all the routes in one sweep since I didn't have fly yet and was wanting to go through that path all in one go. There are really a lot of pokemon with trainers on those routes so it's easy to find yourself without much after you've gotten to the very end, and it was definitely challenging because of the variety of pokes (flying, water, poison). I think that path and the Team Rocket HQ in Silph Co might be a little too much in one go, but it would be easier if you could buy ethers.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I was trying to get through all the routes in one sweep since I didn't have fly yet and was wanting to go through that path all in one go. There are really a lot of pokemon with trainers on those routes so it's easy to find yourself without much after you've gotten to the very end, and it was definitely challenging because of the variety of pokes (flying, water, poison). I think that path and the Team Rocket HQ in Silph Co might be a little too much in one go, but it would be easier if you could buy ethers.

Wow, so you did Silph Co. AND that route in one go? That's pretty impressive!

I would suggest going back to a Pokemon Center halfway through the route rather than trying to fight forward, that doesn't tend to work too well for me. The good thing about routes 14 and 15 is that you can avoid a good deal of the trainers and come back to them once you've healed up! :)

I might be asking a silly question, but if you'd beaten Erika how is it you didn't stop to get fly in the house near cycling road? Surely that'd make it a lot easier?

Years
Wow, so you did Silph Co. AND that route in one go? That's pretty impressive!

I would suggest going back to a Pokemon Center halfway through the route rather than trying to fight forward, that doesn't tend to work too well for me. The good thing about routes 14 and 15 is that you can avoid a good deal of the trainers and come back to them once you've healed up! :)

I might be asking a silly question, but if you'd beaten Erika how is it you didn't stop to get fly in the house near cycling road? Surely that'd make it a lot easier?

Yep, but not all at once. There was a fight with Koga and some Safari Zone hijinks in between. Silph Co is less stressful because there's a healing spot on one of the floors. That really helped me use the starters all the way through the building.

Oh, I was lazy and didn't want to get my Cut slave out of my PC just yet, and I also didn't have a Charizard to teach Fly yet either, so I was like, what's the point? I hate going back to where I started from if I'm trying to get somewhere.

Last edited:
Years
I ALWAYS use the cycling road before I venture those routes. Being able to fly back to Fuchsia is a huge bonus while fighting trainers particularly in Routes 14 and 15.

Back