• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is hell?

Khawill

<3
Years
If anything, I'd think purgatory is hell. I couldn't go through time watching the people I know die, then sit in eternal loneliness as nobody can see, hear, or speak to me.

I don't think there is a hell where people are tortured, I don't think it is an afterlife, I think hell is the one place that everyone fears in their own mind. Maybe some sort of reality or person they have to encounter head on.

Personally I don't believe in any afterlife, I think that when we die our lives just start over. Kind of like a loop, and you just live the same life again and again. (Maybe that can explain Deja Vu, we get flashes of our memory back). Though this idea implies that reality is personalized.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Factually, it is a place (real or otherwise) that is used to scare (or inspire, but I'd say it's the former) people into doing what is "right". Whether it exists or not is irrelevant, but that's what it is originally. That's assuming you're talking about "Hell", "hell" is simply a word that is used for the sake of swearing, it may not have been created for that purpose.

Now, my personal interpretation of Hell is the world we live in now. I don't believe that the Christian Hell exists, but as a concept it is quite useful. Granted, I still enjoy life, but I'd say that our world, as it stands, fits whatever subjective description that "Hell" appeals to.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
To me hell doesn't exist, except in media as entertainment for horror movies/books/games/music. Thats my current opinion

(If I had joined 7 years ago I would have said something stupid and idiotic)

_Dean_

smoke if you got it
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
Well. Revelations 20:10 says "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (kjv) So I assume it's an actual fiery pit. There are other passages that talk about "what hell is" by literal and metaphoric definition. But the bottom line is: it's infinite, utter torment.

It's hell.

EDIT
I would also like to point out that Christianity isn't the only religion that "has a hell." Many other religions and beliefs far and wide - with no connections to Christianity or the Bible - have their own concept of hell.

However, the all depict a place of eternal suffering and torment, and most include a fiery pit or "lake of fire."

Years
If there is a Hell it is probably beyond the comprehension of those who aren't there. We can ponder about whether there is a Hell or not or what it is but we won't know unless we end up there.

Crux

Evermore
Years
The most popular image of hell would be Dante's Inferno,which is a peice of his Divine Comedy.
The book Dante's Inferno is the foundation of a huge part of todays "Hell".

If you were to ask me, "Hell" would be whatever you fear most,a nightmare of your own creation where you would suffer a more numbing pain then you could ever imagine for all eternity...

But honestly I believe in rebirth. :/ :}

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
No Exit is a really good play/book, and I agree with it that certain other people would be the absolute worst thing to deal with for eternity. I don't think you need to be dead to experience hell.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
A place made up to scare people into being religious and worshipping a God, like the Boogeyman was created to scare kids into behaving.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
I always thought hell was the absence of God.

God is love.
Love is the unity of all things.
Fear is the opposite of love.
Fear is the separation of things.

Something like that.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Whelp... Seeing as how this is highly subjective to religion as it is, I figure I can't be that far from my rights...

Hell is a concept to to serve as an opposite to heaven. Much of this was probably twisted by the church in it's power corrupt stages, and, since I don't happen to have the dead sea scrolls handy, (which are probably just a collection of stories of that were put into what we know as the bible. They're almost certainly vastly varied from the original accounts as is.) I can't honestly trust anything in the bible in anything but a vague since. I think that most of what the average person thinks of as hell is nothing more than propaganda. If you were told that you would be tortured forever if you didn't give the church money, you would be much more likely to give it up. Hell is, in my opinion, a metaphysical term which serves to describe a state of emotional turmoil. One which has been twisted and skewered. It is, in reality, a state that is perceived to be unhappiness in a strong degree. In some it's cases unbearable. It exists to explain an underlying sense of morality which dwells within almost all human beings. It's opposite, heaven, is the state in which people dwell when they have done something which we now view as morally correct. This is a definition which I choose to believe because I don't believe in life after death, but I have viewed the impacts of the bible upon people's lives. The reason I don't believe in life after death is because I don't believe in life, but that's a whole 'nother can of beans.

Back