• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Speculation

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
Years
I like the name 'Finn' for Shizui. It fits his looks, his apparel, and his type specialty. Alder's grandson reminds me of "Fang" from Dave the Barbarian (hopefully somebody appreciates that reference). I don't really understand what's up with him yet, so I can't think of a name. He looks like Alder, though, and he uses Volcarona, so I would imagine that a fitting name would have to do with the sun or moths. Perhaps 'Sonny'.

marcc5m

what
Years
I think they'll surprise us and name blue guy something like Jenkins or Roger.

EDIT: 900th post only 100 more and also I think blondie should be named Dexter.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
From Serebii.net
In The Games Department
Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 / Dream Radar - US & European release details

Various Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 localisation details have been announced. First, it is out in the US on October 7th and Europe on October 12th
PokéWood is to be called PokéStar Studios
Shizui's US name is Marlon
The various parts of the site have been updated to reflect this

If this is legitimate, Marlon makes me think of Marlin, which makes me think of Nemo's dad.

Years
Marlon seems like a nice name, since it's a pun on the marlin - a species of fish. Shizui/Marlon has some fish-like features on him, notably the fins on his pants.

I don't get why they decided to change Pokewood to Pokestar Studios. It sorta seemed unnecessary IMO.

JadeSkittles

Gamer Girl
Years
I wonder if its released in early October and not mid to late due to P4 Golden which is a big game for Vita and they don't want to release the same day due to lack of sales for Pokemon? The earlier the better. I like the October 7th date

Marlon seems like a nice name, since it's a pun on the marlin - a species of fish. Shizui/Marlon has some fish-like features on him, notably the fins on his pants.

I don't get why they decided to change Pokewood to Pokestar Studios. It sorta seemed unnecessary IMO.

Moist likely copyright issues in the states but not in Japan. also people were complaining from what I heard about Pokewood. Poke Studios sounds better to me.

Last edited:
Years
Moist likely copyright issues in the states but not in Japan. also people were complaining from what I heard about Pokewood. Poke Studios sounds better to me.

Oh, so it was a cultural barrier that caused the name change. I get it now.

I often find it hard to adjust to an English name cos I spent so much time learning the Japanese.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Marlon really isn't pleasing compared to what it could've been. Let's just hope Alder's grandson doesn't suck. n_n

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
Marlon is okay, but there is tons of better names than it, namely stuff like Nate and water related names.
Pokestar Studios has that Hollywood ring to it imo, while Pokewood sounds more shanty-like, and barely has a Hollywood ring to it

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
PokeStar Studios is an awesome name! I really like it :)

Oh and Marlon. Really? Suits him I guess. Oh Game Freak xD

Rival is Hugh! Hikari was right! :o

And okay I like being positive but Corless is a sucky name for Akuroma. I mean really >!<

Homika's German name is the best! (Mica). Love that name.

And Shizui's German name isn't bad, Benson. Marlon's better I think, so English wins here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Marlon?
I...LOVE IT. Marlon is perfect. His hair looks like a fin anyways, so it fits. xD
I love all the English names! Now I really can't wait. <3

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
This is why I want an option to use Japanese names all this pre-release hype with the Japanese names fits and then I get the English and I'm completely lost

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
Marlon's pretty nice. It's certainly better than anything I'd come up with.

Corless is pretty meh, though. If they just romanized Hugh, romanizing Akuroma to Achroma would have been nice too. Oh well. I guess it's not too bad.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Corless? SERIOUSLY?!??! I HATE IT IT'S SO MEEEEHHHHH it sounds like a PIRATE NAME>>>>>>.> rage

Marlon is...okay. I would have liked it to be something else.

Years
Corless? Really?

What an weird name... Akuroma just has a better sounding imo.

At least I got Hugh's name right.

Now we just need Banjirou and the protagonists.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I get how it kinda says "Colorless" but lmao even Colorless would've been better than Corless :x

Akuroma is what I'll stick to calling him, I think. Don't like Hugh as a rival name. :(

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Corless also sounds a bit like coldless (Kyurem reference?). I think it's the most evil sounding name ever...even more so than Ghetsis and Cyrus.

Marlon makes me think of sea (Mar is spanish for sea). Not sure where the lon comes from though...

Back