• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What's Black and White most remembered for?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Simple question but could get some deep responses! What do you think the games are most remembered for? Is it the fact that they were the ones to introduce Pokemon such as Stunfisk or Garbodor, maybe the fact that they brought N to life, or even that they were the first games to really push the whole ying/yang thing, and gave us Unova? Share your thoughts from both a personal (what they're most remembered for to you) and what you think others most remember the games for. :)

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Honestly, I think people would easily say its the first to have animated sprites. I know that was one of the biggest feature that everyone was awed by when Black/White were announced.

However, a lot of fans really liked Black/White because of the fact that it had some form of story that has a lot of meaning to it about the conflicts of ideals and truth. I know that's what I remembered fondly of about Black/White.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'll always remember it for being a clean slate. It's nice knowing that somewhere out there are a bunch of kids whose first Pokemon games were B/W and they were able to get the same experience that I had when I first played Blue all those years ago.

Years
I'll always remember Black and White for not only being the first games with animated sprites and full-on 3D graphics, but also its touching story and interesting origins, not to mention how it changed the competitive battling scene forever.

The story was also more expanded, the unlimited TMs, forcing you to only use Unova Pokemon until post-game and the characters were all great, especially Cheren, Bianca and N.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Let's see... It was a clean sheet of paper to start from. In a way, I felt the choice of colors to name the games was a nice throwback to 1st gen and how the veterans started with the very first games, so there will be newbies who started with the new ones.

It was the only gen to feature exclusively new Pokémon before the end of the story mode. This was a bold move and this time they got it right.

It had the best story of all games, IMO. And it's the only gen to have sequels within the gen.

It was the gen that fully utilized the DS capabilities, with 3D graphics and animated battles, although I think the sprites could've been higher resolution.

It wasn't much of an improvement on battle mechanics. Changes were mostly done to content (moves, Pokémon). It was a balancing gen.

Those are all valid reasons to remember 5th gen.

Toko

Forest Dweller
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2021
It will also be remembered because for the first time, our longstanding relationship with Pokemon, that we had since the old days, is actually being questioned in the Form of N and Team Plasma and I'm sure many people had to pause and at least consider what they were saying.

Some might even have gone further and actually asked themselves some questions like:
What does it mean to be a Pokemon Trainer?
What should the relationship between Pokemon and said Trainers be?
Are we oppressing them by keeping them in Pokeballs?

So in terms of making us players contemplate and question the status quo like that, I don't think any other Pokemon game has had such an impact on us so far.

And it will probably be remembered as the first Pokemon Game that seems to be set outside Japan's four main Islands.

Years
I will remember B/W for being the first generation since RBY to introduce all new Pokemon. It felt fresh to walk around and not encounter Pikachu's and Tentacool's for once, and it was so much fun to experience 156 brand new Pokemon. Along with that, the story was much deeper for a Pokemon game than I had ever expected, and I'm proud to say that gamefreak did it right :')

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'll remember BW because of numerous reasons:
- N, the first 'villain' I liked because of his personalities.
- The storyline is way different than in the games before it.
- Tackle's power is boosted to 50 instead of 35.
- First time I see Pokeball throwing in 3D, and (fling!) Critical Capture!
- (the sad one) no Pikachu found in the wild.
- Sturdy ability is now far way superior than before.
- The BGM alert when you are about to win against Gym Leader, and when your Pokemon's HP is almost run out.
- TMs are now reusable!
- White Forest is great that I could catch more Pokemon!

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'd say that I'll remember Black and White the most for the ability to RNG in a different, but easier manner (imo). I will always play BW for RNG and they have a special place in my heart <3

Years
Depending on how X and Y turn out when they get released, I think I'll remember Black and White as sort of the transition period between the old and the new. Things like the 3D camera views throughout the game and fully animated trainer and Pokemon sprites seemed to be test runs for what we've seen so far for the 6th gen, which I think they pulled of really well in B/W.

I'll also remember it for basically starting with a clean slate. You couldn't catch any old Pokemon and the region was completely foreign and unlike any of the past ones, so in ways, it felt like playing both a completely new, yet familiar game at the same time.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
1. Animated sprites
2. Stunning graphics
3. Unlimited TM's
4. Brand new Pokemon
5. And let's not forgot, the hate it got for the Pokemon designs.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Mostly already mentioned, but anyway:

An all new regional dex with no old pokemon anywhere.
Unlimited TMs.
Animated battle sprites (and especially with the awesome Smack Down animation).
A solid attempt at an actual story, with some reasonable explanations for the actions of the "villains."
Hidden abilities.

Those are the things that really stand out to me.

Years
well I think "what everybody else will remember it for" is pretty well covered so I'll stick to a personal response.

Black was the only game where I wanted to complete the game to see how the story resolved.
The new experience system, the encounter tweaks, and overall meta-game changes.
Re-usable TM's

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It will be remembered for having ANOTHER Fire/Fighting starter PKMN :P

Pfft, they aren't unique to Unova!

For me I think it's... something more than just the games themselves. It's more (um corny!!!) that... these were the reason I got modded here at PC, something I'd wanted for a while, and also the games that were first released when I first got to know my boyfriend sooooo ya. In general probably the Pokemon themselves. :3

blue

gucci
Years
For me it was Unova, not being in a Japan based Region really isolated these games from the rest. Having the Bridges, Castelia City etc gave it a completely different feel.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
For me it's the little things:

Stand still and listen to the overworld music, then start walking. Drums are added whilst your character walks.

if a pokemon is hit by a special attach it flashes white, if its hit with physical, it flashes black.

tapping a pokemon in its summary changes to its backsprite.

Can't think of any more, but the little things that make it.

Back