• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My OU Team (RMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016

This is my first somewhat successful team I've made. I know there's still a lot of room for improvement so any advice is welcome. I am using Pokemon Online so I can easily change anything and test the changes without any trouble.

Team Overview

485.png
94.png
373.png
121.png
38.png
196.png

Team In-Depth

300px-485Heatran.png

Heatran (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran's main job is to set up Stealth Rock to weaken the opponent. Heatran is also my counter to Dark types looking to knock out Gengar and Espeon and the Steel typing gives Heatran a lot of coverage and prevents the opponent from using Toxic. When the sun is out, Heatran benifits from the attack boost the weather supplies on top of the STAB. Earth Power can take out Dragonite and other Flying types that would otherwise give trouble. Hidden Power [Ice] is the last move and provides coverage against Ground types when the opponent switches in expecting to OHKO me with Earthquake.

180px-094Gengar.png

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
Gengar can take the Fighting type moves aimed at Heatran and can cancel Earthquake. Pain Split helps recover HP and weakens walls, especially Blissey. Focus Blast can then finish Blissey off. Substitute can be used to scout out the opponent's moveset and to know if I should keep Gengar in or switch to another. Shadow Ball is of course a STAB move effective against other Ghost and Psychic types.

240px-373Salamence.png

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Claw

Salamence is my main sweeper later in the game when its counters are taken care of and most of the opponents Pokemon are weakened. Salamence does a really good job cleaning up and Moxie keeps the attack boosts coming. If still early in the game I use Dragon Claw, later when only a few of the opponent's Pokemon are left I use Outrage so I don't end up being locked into Outrage with its counters still around. Earthquake hits Rock types that give me trouble, but I usually don't use it since I have Starmie counter them. Fire Blast gets a boost from Ninetales' Drought andis effective when I need to quickly KO and then switch to another Pokemon to counter.

170px-121Starmie.png

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Starmie is my Rapid Spinner to keep Entry Hazards off my side of the field if the opponent manages to set up any. Starmie can also hold off other Water Tanks that would otherwise eliminate my team. Thuderbolt can then take care of them and makes sure that the rest of the team aren't bothered by them. Ice Beam takes out Dragon types before they can set up and Hydro Pump is the STAB move for Fire and Rock types.

150px-038Ninetales.png

Ninetales (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Drought
- Fire Blast
- Hypnosis
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

Ninetales is very useful in bringing in the sun so the rest of the team benefits. Hypnosis can effectively disrupt the opponent's plan but the accuracy is not high enough to rely on. Energy Ball counters Water types expecting to easily OHKO Ninetales. Fire Blast is Ninetales strongest move due to Drought and STAB. Substitute rounds out the moveset to scout and to save Ninetales from being KO'ed when its needed later to counter.

180px-196Espeon.png

Espeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Morning Sun
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Espeon's DW ability Magic Bounce makes sure that not only are Entry Hazards not set up on my side but are instead bounced back onto the opponent's side. Magic Bounce has also saved me from stat and status changing moves. Shadow Ball is for the Psychic types that try to set up on me. Psyshock is Espeon's STAB attack for the Fighting types that would otherwise give trouble. Hidden Power [Fire] recieves a boost under the sun and is useful against Bug or Steel types thinking to counter Espeon and are instead backed into a corner themselves. Morning Sun is used in conjuction with Ninetales' Drought to recover more HP.

Weaknesses
The team is overall weak to Bug, Ghost, and Dark types. Ice type attacks have easily sweeped my team before when Starmie was down. The team also needs a way to stop the opponent from setting up and U-Turning. Too many times have I been beat by U-Turn and stat boosts before I can stop them.

Summary
So there's my team. It may not be the best, but it has won me quite a few battles nonetheless. I am looking to improve it however I can, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about that would be. I have only begun to get into competitive battling and I am looking for advice that will help me build a better team. Any good advice will be considered and tested to see what works best. Thanks for looking and feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
From what I've seen, this looks like a bit of a Sandstorm team to me. The only Pokemon that would benefit from Ninetales' Drought are Salamence and Espeon. The sun also weakens Starmie's Hydro Pump. If Ninetales goes down and the weather is changed, Espeon's Morning Sun would be almost useless as well.

Since you're weak to Bug, Ghost and Dark, a Steel Pokemon like Heatran can help you here:
-Lava Plume
-Stealth Rock/Roar
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Protect
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
-Stealth Rock/Substitute/Taunt/Flame Charge
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
If you do switch Ninetales for Heatran, switch Espeon's Hidden Power to Fighting. It provides perfect neutral coverage with Shadow Ball, and hits the Steels and Darks that counter its other moves.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
From what I've seen, this looks like a bit of a Sandstorm team to me. The only Pokemon that would benefit from Ninetales' Drought are Salamence and Espeon. The sun also weakens Starmie's Hydro Pump. If Ninetales goes down and the weather is changed, Espeon's Morning Sun would be almost useless as well.

Since you're weak to Bug, Ghost and Dark, a Steel Pokemon like Heatran can help you here:
-Lava Plume
-Stealth Rock/Roar
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Protect
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
-Stealth Rock/Substitute/Taunt/Flame Charge
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

Thanks for your advice! :D I've tested out both sets you suggested and the Timid/Life Orb set worked the best for me. Heatran is exactly what I was looking for since it benefits from the sun and can take the Ghost and Dark type attacks aimed at the rest of my team. The sun does weaken Starmie's Hydro Pump but I haven't had a problem with that yet. As for Espeon's Morning Sun being useless when Ninetales is KO'ed, that usually doesn't happen often but what other move should I replace it with?

If you do switch Ninetales for Heatran, switch Espeon's Hidden Power to Fighting. It provides perfect neutral coverage with Shadow Ball, and hits the Steels and Darks that counter its other moves.

Wouldn't it be better to switch Tyranitar with Heatran since Heatran would benefit from the sun? I like the idea about switching Hidden Power to Fighting though. I have had trouble with Dark types taking Espeon out because I couldn't do anything.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Espeon seems kind of useless on this team given Starmie can already spin. Espeon frankly sucks
at stopping hazards anyway because like all hazards crush it so i mean. :x

Id suggest you remove it and replace it for something such as Venusaur whom can benfit from the sun, lure in steels and crush them clearing a way for a Mence Outrage sweep. Venusaur also checks Politoed for you, something which nothing currently does. Put Venusaur over Espeon.

Gengar is one of my Entry Hazards blockers and is my counter to Psychic types like Jirachi and Alakazam.

press_release_distribution_0115046_14823.jpg

o_O

I sincerely hope you are not using it to counter either of those lol.

Anyway Gengar seems out of place on this team and nothing resists Rock at all which means every time Tyranitar or Terrakion shows its face something dies. Id put in a good sturdy counter to both of those or at least a rock resist. Replace Gengar with a rock resist.

Ninetales wants

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sunny Day / Pain Split
- Fire Blast
- SolarBeam
- Will-o-Wisp / Toxic

Life Orb and Sub just kills you and makes you lose the weather war.

Lastly, Starmie doesnt want Hydro Pump in the sun because it makes it weak and girly, use this set.

Starmie @ Leftovers
252 S.Atk / 252 Speed /6 HP
Trait : Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

Offers best coverage in sun.

Hope this helps good luck.

EDIT:

Put Stealth Rock on Tran also.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Espeon is a great counter when used correcty and how can entry hazards hurt Espeon if they just bounce right back? For Ninetales, I like the Pain Split/Toxic combination to weaken the opponent. When I use that set for Starmie, I lose my coverage against Dragon/Flying types I had and Dragonite can sweep when Heatran is down. Is there anymore mistakes I made? It was about 3 o'clock in the morning when I was typing this up and I may have missed something else.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Espeon is a great counter when used correcty and how can entry hazards hurt Espeon if they just bounce right back? For Ninetales, I like the Pain Split/Toxic combination to weaken the opponent. When I use that set for Starmie, I lose my coverage against Dragon/Flying types I had and Dragonite can sweep when Heatran is down. Is there anymore mistakes I made? It was about 3 o'clock in the morning when I was typing this up and I may have missed something else.

Sorry i meant "all entry hazard users crush it" i.e with their attacks lol. Regardless Espeon simply doesn't do anything on this team, its role overlaps with Starmie way too much namely they both remove hazard and Starmie is better at that job anyhow.

Dragonite wont be able to sweep you with Venusaur as it outspeeds after even two DD's IIrc (chlorophyll) and OHKO's with HP Ice, it also has Heatran to contend with. =P

Set anyway is;

Venusuaur@ Leftovers / Life Orb
252 S.Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
Modest Nature
Trait: Chlorophyll
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Growth
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I see your point about Starmie's and Espeon's roles overlapping. I'll switch Venusaur for Espeon and see what happens. What sort of team would Espeon be useful for anyway? Also, Heatran would be able to take care of Dragonite if it weren't for Earthquake.

Years
For spinner benefit in the sun, I suggest Donphan as sun remove its water weakness, and it takes physical attack like a champ. If u think you are lacking physical attacker, use Darmaritan as it will mow down almost everything with a Flare Blitz in the sun, giving you the needed fire power (pun intended lol)

Years
For spinner benefit in the sun, I suggest Donphan as sun remove its water weakness, and it takes physical attack like a champ. If u think you are lacking physical attacker, use Darmaritan as it will mow down almost everything with a Flare Blitz in the sun, giving you the needed fire power (pun intended lol)

I can not agree more. Besides I used Starmie as my Spinner for a little while and it has such little bulk that it was taken down fairly regularly with little fight.
And if you just so happen to switch in and survive, your opponent is either faster than you and takes you out second hit, or survives your Hydro Pump with still 40-80% health (assuming normal effective) and takes you out second turn anyway.

If you still need a water type I switched for Milotic, but Jellicent will also be very useful if you don't mind the speed drop in exchange for bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back