• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Steve's Alola Travel Journal

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years
December 28, 2016

As I continued to train my team, my Igglybuff eventually evolved into Jigglypuff! It looks like all those activities we did at the Festival Plaza helped to increase its happiness.

54. Jigglypuff
039.png

I stopped back at the Nursery, and gave my Pokémon a rest. Instead of moving to the next group in the training rotation, I decided to take my newly caught Miltank and Tauros, as well as the three eggs I was given. To round out the team with a sixth member, I also brought Rowlet along. I walked around the ranch a bit, and all three eggs hatched! First I got a Litten, the fire-type starter Pokémon of the Alola region! The next egg to hatch was a Cottonee, a Pokémon not normally native to Akala Island. And apparently part fairy-type now, that's new to me! And finally, a Popplio hatched, so I now have all three starter Pokémon from the region!

"Litten, the Fire Cat Pokémon. Litten don't allow their emotions to be easily seen. Earning their trust takes time. They prefer solitude. While grooming, they build up fur inside their stomach. They set the fur alight and spew fiery attacks, which change based on how they cough."

55. Litten
725.png

56. Cottonee
546.png

57. Popplio

728.png

I wanted to give my new Pokémon some low-level practice, so I took a ferry back to Melemele Island. First stop was the Battle Buffet, for a meal and some experience. We then battled wild Pokémon as I collected some berries and nectar. And finally, we made our way back to Paniola Ranch on Akala Island.

I was told that there was an island trial held nearby on Brooklet Hill, given by Captain Lana. Brooklet Hill is not far from Paniola Town, just a little way across Route 5. So I prepared my team and let before dawn. Once on Route 5, I had my first double battle in Alola, against an Igglybuff and Happiny. It was a good match up for my new Litten and Popplio. I also had a Pokémon battle against a trainer who used a Pokémon I never saw before! She called it a Morelull when she sent it out. I'm not even sure what type it is; it looks like it might be grass type. Rotom, what is it?

"Morelull, the Illuminating Pokémon. Morelull scatter spores that flicker and glow. Anyone seeing these lights falls into a deep slumber. As they drowse the day away, they nourish themselves by sucking from tree roots. They waken at the fall of night, wandering off in search of a new tree."

And it looks like a grass and fairy-type. Based on its look and that description, it's almost like a fairy-type Foongus.

As I continued along the route, I saw Hau battling another Trainer. It looked like Hau just lost, and the other guy was a little agitated that Hau was still his usual cheerful self despite losing. I introduced myself, and the other guy said his name was Gladion and that he was on a journey with his partner Pokémon, and also did odd jobs for Team Skull. He challenged me to a battle, which I accepted.

Gladion sent out a Zubat, which my Miltank easily defeated with a few Stomp attacks. The interesting battle was next. Since he was using his partner Pokémon, I decided to use mine. I sent out Rowlet, and he sent out… what the heck is that? I don't want to hurt its feelings, but it looks like a Pokémon Frankenstein. Who or what is that Pokémon?

"Zzzt… no data in Akala Pokédex… no data in Melemele Pokédex…" Rotom was having a hard time finding any info on it. Wow. "Searching Alola archives for special Pokémon…zzzt…"

"Type: Null, the Synthetic Pokémon. Type: Null has some hidden special power. Due to the danger that this synthetic Pokémon may go on a rampage, it wears a control mask to restrain its power. The heavy control mask suppresses its intrinsic capabilities."

Type… Null? Is that a new Pokémon type? No, it's a normal type. This is pretty interesting. I mean, I know there have been man-made Pokémon before, but this one looks creepy.

Regardless, getting back to the battle, Type: Null was very strong, and took out my Rowlet with a few powerful Tackles. I had to send out Cottonee to finish the job, thankfully Leech Seed and Giga Drain helped heal it as fast as it was taking damage.

As our battle ended, two Team Skull grunts showed up and had a little argument with Gladion, saying he's not really part of Team Skull. Regardless, Gladion got them to leave Hau and me alone, and we went back to preparing for the trial at Brooklet Hill.

As the sun rose, I explored more of Route 5 and battled a few Trainers. Some had familiar Pokémon that I hadn't seen yet in Alola.

"Rufflet, the Eaglet Pokémon. Rufflet pick fights indiscriminately. With their sharp claws, they pierce their prey, and then they peck at them. Although they also consume berries, they're carnivores at heart. They grow stronger and more powerful each time they faint or are injured."

"Paras, the Mushroom Pokémon. Paras have mushrooms called tochukaso that sprout from their back. They can be dried and powdered to make a medicine used to extend life. No matter how much they eat, the mushrooms growing on their back steal away most of the nutrients they consume."

I was battling against some wild Pokémon on the route, finding wild Lillipup and Pikipek quite common, until I came across something I never saw before. It looks like a little grass-type Pokémon. Rotom, who's that Pokémon?

"Formantis, the Sickle Grass Pokémon. Formantis give off a sweet and refreshing scent. Cutiefly often gather near the tall grass where they are hiding. During the day, they sleep and soak up light. When night falls, they walk around looking for a safer place to sleep."

Finally, a new Pokémon! I didn't waste any time, I threw a single Poké Ball, and caught it immediately!

58. Formantis
753.png

That's it for Route 5 for now. Next stop, Brooklet Hill, and my second island trial!

OffRoadSP

Years
December 31, 2016

Before work, I decided to enter Brooklet Hill just to check it out. I met Captain Lana and expressed my interest in taking her challenge. I then met a fisherman who challenged me to battle. He used some familiar Pokémon, a Barboach and a Goldeen. I wonder how my shiny Barboach is doing back in Sinnoh…

"Barboach, the Whiskers Pokémon. Barboach can detect their prey's location, even in muddy waters, using their two whiskers that provide a sensitive radar. Their slippery body is hard to grasp, so much so that there are festivals where people complete to see how many they can catch barehanded."

"Goldeen, the Goldfish Pokémon. Goldeen form groups and swim upriver when the weather grows warm. This sight serves as a poetic reminder that spring has arrived. Spellbound by the length of their horn and the beauty of their fins, many strange Trainers raise groups of them."

January 1, 2017

I started to explore the tall grass of Brooklet Hill and check out the wild Pokémon that lived there. The first Pokémon I encountered was a wild Psyduck! After a little effort I was able to catch it.

59. Psyduck
054.png

A little more evening exploring caused me to find some more familiar Pokémon. The second Pokémon I encountered was a wild Poliwag, and then the third was a wild Surskit. Both were easily captured.

"Poliwag, the Tadpole Pokémon. Poliwag are not very good at walking. Their Trainers should train these Pokémon to walk every day. The swirl on their belly is their internal organs showing through. If the swirl is tinged white, it means it's affected by some disease."

"Surskit, the Pond Skater Pokémon. Surskit move as if skating on the surface of the water. They often fight with Dewpider over food. When they sense danger, a sweet fluid oozes from the tip of their head. The taste of it disgusts bird Pokémon."

60. Poliwag
060.png

61. Surskit

283.png

Wait. What's a Dewpider?

OffRoadSP

Years
January 2, 2017

There seem to be a wide variety of Pokémon that make their home in Brooklet Hill. So I explored some more, and captured a second Poliwag for obvious reasons, but this time used a Great Ball to distinguish them. (Why the heck haven't I picked up any Repeat Balls yet?) Shortly after that, I found a wild Paras that I captured with little trouble.

62. Paras
046.png

Finally, I found a new Pokémon I never saw before. It was this spider with a bubble over its head. It looks pretty cool, actually. Although, I do tend to like bug-type Pokémon. Being water and bug-type, I decided that the perfect type of Poké Ball to use would be a Net Ball. I only have two, so I used one and was able to catch it! Rotom, who's that Pokémon?

"Dewpider, the Water Bubble Pokémon. Dewpider crawl onto the land in search of food. Their water bubble allows them to breath and protects their soft head. When they come across enemies or potential prey, they smash their water-bubble-covered head into them."

63. Dewpider
751.png

So that's the Dewpider that the Pokédex mentioned in Surskit's entry. It looks so cool. It has an ability I never heard of before, called Water Bubble. Rotom informed me that it decreases the effect of fire attacks and prevents it from getting burned. I can't wait to use it in battle!

January 3, 2017

Since I got out of work early, I decided to do some more training as dawn approached in Alola. I was going to take on Lana's challenge with my current team, but if the wild Pokémon in the area are any indication of what I'm in for, I might need a more strategic line up. So I figured I would finish the current rotation of Pokémon and then take on the challenge. As much as I'm enjoying training Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio together, it's time to move on.

As I battled against the wild Pokémon in Brooklet Hill, I discovered a wild Morelull that I tried to capture! I started throwing Poké Balls at it, but it would break out immediately. After about half a dozen tries though, I finally caught it!

64. Morelull
755.png

I then rotated out my Pokémon for Zubat, Rattata, Grubbin, Lillipup, and two of my Eevee.

January 4, 2017

After a frustratingly challenging time training that team of six Pokémon, I brought out the last group of Pokémon consisting of Trumbeak, Gastly, Bonsly, Crabrawler, and my last two Eevee. If the last group was a frustrating challenge to train, whatever one step worse than that is what training this group seems to be.

Though it took all day and dozens of trips to the Pokémon Center, I finally finished training that group. Now it's time to think about which Pokémon I want to bring with me for Lana's trial. It looks like they'll be plenty of water-types, so grass or electric-types should make up the majority of my team. Rowlet will definitely come with me; I'll sleep on the other five choices.

Akala Island collection so far (all Lv 17 except for recent captures):
Spoiler:

OffRoadSP

Years
January 8, 2017

I stopped by Festival Plaza, where Green Grimer 2 reached Rank 30. After that, I finally decided on who to take with me for the island challenge. Along with Rowlet, I took Formantis, Morelull, Rattata, Grubbin, and Crabrawler with me. Time to find Lana and get this trial underway!

As the sun rose, I found Lana in Brooklet Hill. To get through Brooklet Hill, she said I'd need a way to travel on water, so she updated my Ride Pager to be able to ride wild Lapras! That's so much more convenient than having a Pokémon that can Surf. She said to start the trial, I'd have to find out what is causing all bubbling in the water.

Before I did that though, I found a few Trainers to battle, and one of them the token flying-type from the Kalos region, Fletchling! Apparently they can be found in the wild here on Akala Island.

"Fletchling, the Tiny Robin Pokémon. Fletchling are easy to train. But when battle is joined, they show their ferocious side. When they're excited, their temperature can double, spiking hormone production in their body."

I reached the bubbling water, and as I approached, a school of fish-like Pokémon swam away quickly, further into the brooklet. Then one of those fish jumped out of the water, but it was a Pokémon I never saw before! Rotom, who's that tiny Pokémon?

"Wishiwashi, the Small Fry Pokémon. Wishiwashi are awfully weak and notably tasty, so everyone is always out to get them. As it happens, anyone trying to bully them receives a painful lesson. When they're in trouble, their eyes moisten and begin to shine. The shining light attracts their comrades, and they stand together against their enemies."

Interesting, but it doesn't seem like it should be too tough. I sent out Rowlet to battle it, and a single Razor Leaf easily defeated it. So I pressed on further through the area, and came across another incidence of bubbling water. Like the last one, a bunch of Wishiwashi swam away, except for one that stayed and battled. Once again, Rowlet easily defeated it… and then Rowlet started to evolve! I'm so excited my first Pokémon I got in Alola is evolving. Its evolution wasn't too surprising, it's basically a taller owl. I asked Rotom for some info on my new partner!

"Dartrix, the Blade Quill Pokémon, and the evolved form of Rowlet. Dartrix spend their free time preening their wings, being a bit of a dandy. Their preoccupation with any dirt on their plumage can leave them unable to battle. They throw sharp feathers called blade quills at enemies or prey. They seldom miss."

65. Dartrix
723.png

With Dartrix I feel I'm ready to take on the Totem Pokémon! But first, I had a Trainer battle against a fisherman who used a pair of Magikarp.

"Magikarp, the Fish Pokémon. Magikarp are incredibly fertile, although weak and helpless. They exist in such multitudes, you'll soon grow tired of seeing them. Their reckless leaps make them easy pickings for predators. On the bright side, many Pokémon enjoy longer life spans, thanks to this fact."

I then met Lana near the trial gate. It started to rain. She said the rain was being caused by the Totem Pokémon of Brooklet Hill, the legendary Pokémon Kyogre! Really?? …Then she revealed that she was just kidding. Funny. She directed me towards one last patch of bubbling water. It was the direction that all the Wishiwashi I encountered previously were heading. I jumped on Lapras, and headed out for my trial!

…Why is Lapras acting so nervous?

As I approached the spray of water, thunder crashed overhead, and the whole cavern rumbled. The Wishiwashi seemed to be gathering near the bubbling. Then, from the gathered Wishiwashi, the Totem Pokémon rose from the water… and it's huge! Is that the evolved form of Wishiwashi??

"Wishiwashi, the Small Fry Pokémon, School Form. Weak Wishiwashi school together to concentrate their power. Their united force makes them the demon of the sea, feared near and far. At their appearance, even Gyarados will flee. When they team up to use Water Gun, its power exceeds that of Hydro Pump."

So, it's not a different Pokémon, but a different form, that's awesome. With my Z-Ring ready, I sent out my first Pokémon, Crabrawler.

"Crabrawler, let's go!" I called. "Use Rock Smash!"

My Pokémon landed a critical hit, but our massive opponent shrugged it off. It then used Soak, making Crabrawler essentially water-type. Then, it called out for help, and a solo Wishiwashi appeared.

"Get ready!" I yelled as my Z-Ring flared to life. I made the motions to activate the Fightinium Z. "Do it, Crabrawler! All-Out Pummeling on that Wishiwashi that appeared!"

Crabrawler landed the powerful flurry of blows, but a last minute Aqua Ring kept it from being totally knocked out! Meanwhile, Totem Wishiwashi used Growl to lower Crabrawler's attack power.

"Quick, finish it off with Rock Smash!" Crabrawler landed the finishing blow… but not before its target used Helping Hand to power up the totem's Water Gun, which despite being not very effective, did a good amount of damage.

"Hang in there! Strike back with Rock Smash!" Crabrawler hit, but Totem Wishiwashi barely felt it. At least it seemed to lower its defense this time. The totem fired back with another powerful Water Gun, and Crabrawler collapsed. I went to recall it, but it started to get up, still hanging in there, barely!

"Do you have one more Rock Smash in you?" My Pokémon nodded in response. It hit, but was blasted back into the wall with a final Water Gun.

"Crabrawler, return, and take the rest you earned!" I pulled out my next Poké Ball. "Grubbin, maximize! Use Spark attack!"

The attack hit, but Totem Wishiwashi ate a berry and gained some of its strength back. Then it used Growl, negating the small advantage we had from its lowered defense.

"That's one tough water-type," I commented. "Grubbin, try using Spark again!"

The attack hit. Despite all the moves my Pokémon have connected with, this totem still has more than 50% of its health. It also struck back with Water Gun, almost knocking out Grubbin. The totem then called for more help, but this time, it was an Alomomola that appeared!

"Alomomola, the Caring Pokémon. Alomomola float upon the open sea. Many water Pokémon gather in the area around them. They use their special mucus to close the wounds of injured Pokémon. The reason for this behavior remains unknown."

"I'm not sure who to target," I hesitated. "Grubbin, use Spark on Alomomola, before it can help!"

Grubbin charged in with a Spark, but never connected, because Alomomola smacked it first with a Double Slap!

"Grubbin, no!" I recalled it to its Poké Ball. "Thank you, return and rest. I hope it's not too early for this. Dartrix, let's see what you've got, maximize!"

My newly evolved Pokémon appeared in the rain. Alomomola used Helping Hand on the totem Pokémon in the meantime.

"Dartrix, attack both of them with Razor Leaf!" Dartrix fired, but Alomomola dodged. But on the other hand, it landed a critical hit on Totem Wishiwashi! It blasted back with Water Gun, and Dartrix took the hit ok. Then, suddenly, the totem Pokémon changed form! The school broke apart, leaving the totem as a Solo Form Wishiwashi.

"Great job, Dartrix! We've got them now!" At least that's what I thought. The Alomomola used Heal Pulse on Wishiwashi, and it started to school again!

"Oh no, you don't!" I yelled. "Quick, use Razor Leaf!"

The Razor Leaf hit both Pokémon this time for super effective damage… and knocked out the Totem Wishiwashi!

"We still have to defeat the other Pokémon to win the trial," I said as I motioned towards the Alomomola. But the rest was easy. Despite a weak Water Gun striking Dartrix, two Razor Leaf attacks later, and Alomomola was defeated also!

"Well done, Steve!" Lana was waving me back to the shore. "Over here!"

The clouds started to clear up as the rain stopped. Lana continued, "All of the Wishiwashi that I so diligently trained up were defeated, and that is very frustrating. But of course, I cannot let your completion of my trial go uncelebrated, Steve. You were amazing, truly impressive! Please take this."

I received my third Z-Crystal, Waterium Z! Lana demonstrated the wave motions to activate the Z-Crystal. She then walked back to the Pokémon Center with me. Before leaving, she gave me a Fishing Rod, and ten Dive Balls for any Pokémon I hook while fishing.

"Next is Kiawe's trial," Lana advised. "It will take place at Wela Volcano Park. If you travel south from Paniola Ranch, you'll eventually make your way there."

OffRoadSP

Years
January 9, 2017

With another island trial completed, it was time to begin another rotation of Pokémon. Again, I'm only focusing on those in the Akala Pokédex to make it more manageable. The first group is Miltank, Eevee #5, Eevee #7, Lillipup, Diglett, and room for a new catch. I also sat down and had Rotom help me analyze my eight Eevee that I had caught. Based on their stats, I planned out which Eevee would evolve into each of its eight evolutions. I don't have any evolutionary stones yet, but at least three of them can evolve sooner than later.

I took some time to relax in Paniola Town, and noticed there was a small pond in the corner of the town. I decided it was as good a place as any to try out the new fishing rod that Lana gave me. The pong seemed to have only Magikarp in it, so I easily caught one.

66. Magikarp
129.png

I remember that Lana told me that if the water is bubbling or rippling, sometimes rarer Pokémon can be found. So I kept checking back and would try to fish when I saw the ripples. Though I still found Magikarp, I also hooked some Barboach! I was battling a few to try to catch, but they definitely made it difficult, because they would call for help, and Whiscash would appear to help them! After a much longer time than I wanted it to take, I did finally catch a Barboach.

"Whiscash, the Whiskers Pokémon, and the evolved form of Barboach. Whiscash are gluttons that devour anything that moves. They quietly lurk at the bottom of swamps, lying in wait for prey. Sighting them leaping from the water is believed to herald an earthquake."

67. Barboach
339.png

Later on, I decided to return to Brooklet Hill, where Lana said that I could now catch Pokémon in the Totem's Den now that my trial was complete. Riding around on Lapras, I was able to find and catch a Finneon and a Tentacool! I added Tentacool as the sixth member of my current party.

"Finneon, the Wing Fish Pokémon. Finneon absorb sunlight with the pink areas of their skin, which then shine. This appears to be a form of camouflage. Their double tail fins propel their energetic jumps. When they break the surface of the sea, Wingull swoop down to grab them on the fly."

"Tentacool, the Jellyfish Pokémon. Tentacool drift in shallow seas, such as the areas near beaches. They can be found lying dehydrated on beaches, but they are often still alive. When soaked in water, they will revive. If you get bitten or stabbed by their toxic tentacles, rush to the hospital."

68. Finneon
456.png

69. Tentacool

072.png

I then found a spot in the middle of the Totem's Den where there was some rippling water. I decided to fish there, and found a wild Alomomola! I battled it with my new Tentacool, but it called for help. Several times. After a frustratingly long battle, I managed to catch one.

70. Alomomola
594.png

OffRoadSP

Years
January 10, 2017

There was one more Pokémon I knew I had to find in the Totem's Den. It didn't take me long, and I hooked and caught a Wishiwashi of my own!

71. Wishiwashi
746.png

As I made my way out of Brooklet Hill, I fished in any rippling spots I saw along the way, and caught a Goldeen.

72. Goldeen
118.png

While taking a break at the Pokémon Center, I overheard someone saying they caught a Feebas while fishing at Brooklet Hill. I asked Nurse Joy about it, and she said that Feebas are extremely rare to find, but there are a few that can be found there. I'm no stranger to how rare and difficult finding a Feebas is; I still remember finding my shiny Barboach in Sinnoh while spending hours searching for one! Thankfully, this time was not even close to being that difficult. It only took me a Fishing Rod casts to find and catch one!

"Feebas, the Fish Pokémon. Feebas are tough Pokémon that are perfectly fine even in dirty water. However, due to their ragged, shabby appearance, they aren't popular. Despite this fact, their marvelous vitality has made them a subject of research."

73. Feebas
349.png

With that, I'm finally done with Brooklet Hill, and ready to move on in my journey.

I was walking down a path in Paniola Ranch in the morning. I saw some Sudowoodo blocking the entrance to Route 6. As soon as they saw the Waterium Z, though, they ran off. I followed and finally entered Route 6, which passes east of Paniola Town and eventually reconnects with Heahea City. As I traveled down the short straight street, I battled a few trainers. The first one used a Magby, which I'm excited that they are native to Alola, and the second used a Sudowoodo, like the pair I just chased away.

"Magby, the Live Coal Pokémon. Magby can be seen in areas with volcanic activity. Feeding can get them so excited, they exhale flames of 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit. A famous potter lives with one, and apparently its soft flames produce fine works."

"Sudowoodo, the Imitation Pokémon, and the evolved form of Bonsly. Sudowoodo mimic trees to avoid attack. They will run off if splashed with water, which they hate. Apparently, the larger the green parts of this Pokémon, the more collectors value them. They're a particular favorite among elderly people."

About halfway down the road I saw a Pokémon I never encountered before! It wasn't wild, though, as its Trainer was standing next to it with a Drifloon as well. The Trainer introduced herself as Hapu, and the way she talked, she definitely wasn't from the city. She asked if I could help her, as she was being harassed by two familiar bandana-covered faces, the Team Skull grunts from back on Melemele Island. They recognized me as well, so one sent out his Drowzee, but it was no match for my Eevee and its Bite attack. The grunts ran off after being threatened further by Hapu. Hapu then thanked me, and then watched as her Drifloon flew off, heading home, I reckon. Then she climbed on her other Pokémon, which she introduced as Mudsdale, and trotted off towards Paniola Ranch.

I continued down Route 6, and battled more Trainers. First was a Beauty with a Cubone, which made me think about my shiny Cubone I left in the Kalos region. Then I battled a Dancer who was dancing with her Oricorio… but it looked nothing like the Oricorio I caught in the Melemele Meadow! Rotom explained that this Oricorio was called Pa'u Style, and is psychic and flying-type. A very interesting combo!

"Cubone, the Lonely Pokémon. Cubone wear the skull of their dead mother on their head. When they thick of their deceased mother, they weep loudly. Mandibuzz that hear their cries will attack them from the air. According to some, they will evolve when they come to terms with the pain of their mother's death."

"Oricorio, the Dancing Pokémon. This Pa'u Style Oricorio has sipped pink nectar. They relax by swaying gently. This increases their psychic energy, which it then fires at their enemies. Their enemies' hearts melt at the sight of their gently swaying hips."

After the battle, the Dancer told me that I could find Pink Nectar among some flowers at nearby Royal Avenue. For now though, I returned to Heahea City at the end of Route 6.

January 11, 2017

I did a lot of training with my current team today. My Green Grimer 2 reached Rank 35 after getting a lot of Festival Coins from a Global Mission. Then I stopped by the Battle Buffet on Melemele Island for some experience and cash. One of the most lucrative battles was against someone from a different region, who used a Grimer that was a more familiar looking form to me.

"Grimer, the Sludge Pokémon. Grimer were born from sludge transformed by exposure to X-rays from the moon. Their main source of food is the slimy industrial waste of factories. When their internal load of germs decreases, they die. Their numbers have been decreasing in recent years."

After a quick stop to play the lottery, I returned to Akala Island and had my Pokémon battle wild Pokémon on Route 6. During that time, my Lillipup evolved into Herdier!

"Herdier, the Loyal Dog Pokémon, and the evolved form of Lillipup. Herdier obey their masters' orders faithfully. However, they refuse to listen to anything said by a person they don't respect. Their dense black fur grows continuously. The high cost of keeping their hard fur properly groomed makes this a troublesome Pokémon to train."

74. Herdier
507.png

After a few more random battles, we had an hour long battle with a horde of Oricorio, who kept calling for help, so I just kept rotating and battling with my team. After that, I gave my Pokémon a well-deserved rest at the Pokémon Center. The next group of Pokémon will consist of a lot of recent captures: Alomomola, Psyduck, Goldeen, Eevee #8, Morelull, and Dewpider.

OffRoadSP

Years
January 19, 2017

After a week break, I finally moved on in my journey, and explored Royal Avenue. It looked like a relaxing, recreational place to visit. There was a park near a Pokémon Center, where the nectar of the flowers could change an Oricorio's form. I collected some of that, then found a huge Pokémart called Thrifty Megamart, where all sorts of items were heavily discounted. I found a Zygarde Cell outside, bringing the cube up to 5%. But the centerpiece of attractions was the Battle Royal Dome, which I saw Gladion walking into. I'll have to check that out another time. For now, I treated my Pokémon to some malasadas at the Malasada Shop, and then relaxed at the Pokémon Center with a hot cup of Komala Coffee.

January 20, 2017

In the evening, I found two more Zygarde Cells. One was in the park in Royal Avenue, and the other near a building called the Dimension Research Lab in Heahea City. That brings the Zygarde Cube up to 7%.

January 21, 2017

As I was training my team on Route 6, I decided to test out my Waterium Z with the help of one of my favorite new Alola Pokémon, Dewpider. I did the wavy motion Lana taught me to activate the Z Crystal and powered up Dewpider, and it used a move called Hydro Vortex, which plunged its opponent under water and created a powerful twister to spin its opponent in! These Z-Moves are entertaining to witness.

January 23, 2017

Green Grimer 2 reached Rank 40. I'm stocked with Poké Balls, recovery items, and many other things from my frequent visits there!

As I continued to train my team, my Eevee evolved into Umbreon! This will help me not have to refer to them by number.

"Umbreon, the Moonlight Pokémon, and an evolved form of Eevee. Umbreon blend into the darkness with their black fur. They bide their time, and when prey appears, they go for its throat, and then eat it. When they become angry, their pores secrete a poisonous sweat, which they spray at their opponents' eyes."

75. Umbreon
197.png

January 24, 2017

After finishing up training my current team, I gave them a well-deserved rest at the Pokémon Center. While they were being treated, I took Dartrix with me and checked out the Battle Royal Dome. When I entered, I was immediately greeted by The Masked Royal, who apparently was a famous Battle Royal competitor, and who had a striking resemblance in height and build to Professor Kukui. Hau and Gladion were present also, so Professor… I mean, the Masked Royal invited us to have a practice Battle Royal battle! We each used a single Pokémon, so I used Dartrix, Hau used Brionne, Gladion used Type: Null, and the Masked Royal used Rockruff. The rules of battle are much different than a normal Pokémon battle; it's essentially a free-for-all, and the battle is over when all of one Trainer's Pokémon are knocked out. Dartrix did quite well with its Razor Leaf attack, as it was able to strike all three opponents, although at much reduced power. Type: Null took out Brionne, and my Dartrix followed up by taking out Rockruff. We didn't get ranked after the battle, but I think Gladion would have won, as Type: Null took the lesser damage in the battle.

Afterwards, we were approached by a guy who introduced himself as Captain Kiawe. He watched our Battle Royal, and invited Hau and myself to take part in his trial at the nearby Wela Volcano. We all then went our separate ways.

I'm assuming there will plenty of fire-type Pokémon living around a volcano, so the next group of Pokémon I decided to train was Feebas, Poliwag #2 (Great Ball), Wishiwashi, Bonsly, Eevee #2, and Formantis. Before heading over to Route 7, I stopped in the Malasada Shop, and they were running a special. Today they were selling Mythic Malasadas, which all Pokémon love! So I treated my team to a bunch, and even sent some over to Paniola Ranch where my other Akala Pokémon were staying.

OffRoadSP

Years
I'm surprised at my big gaps in training, especially since I've barely scratched the surface of Sun & Moon. It's my own fault for picking up FFXV...

I'm going to try to stick with it, because I'm sure I'll be taking another break when the Switch (and, specifically, Breath of the Wild) is released.

January 25, 2017

I decided to do some exploring along the coast of Route 7 before heading over to Wela Volcano Park. I found a strip of caves where Diglett darted across the sand, in and out of their little holes, and nearby I found another Zygarde Cell (8%). I then found a swimmer who challenged me to a battle with her Alomomola… and decimated my entire team. It was critical hit after critical hit while most of our moves missed, until my entire team was knocked out. Oh, well. I guess it's back to training on Route 6 first. I think Formantis could provide a decent rematch after some battle experience!

At least while I training on Route 6, my Eevee evolved into Sylveon!

"Sylveon, the Intertwining Pokémon, and an evolved form of Eevee. Sylveon swirl their ribbonlike feelers as a distraction when they sight their prey. These feelers give off an aura that weakens hostility in their prey, causing them to let down their guard. Then they pounce and attack."

76. Sylveon
700.png

After a bit more training, I did go back and challenge the swimmer with the Alomomola to a rematch, and this time was able to win with Formantis and Sylveon.

January 26, 2017

As I continued to explore Route 7, I battled another swimmer who used a… a… what is that thing? It looks like a droopy blue and purple cactus. Who's that Pokémon?

"Mareanie, the Brutal Star Pokémon. Mareanie are found crawling on beaches and seafloors. They plunge the poison spike on their head into their prey. When the prey has weakened, they deal the finishing blow with their 10 tentacles. The coral that grows on Corsola's head is as good as a five-star banquet to this Pokémon."

Speaking of Corsola, the next Trainer I battled on a small island had two Pokémon I was much more familiar with.

"Shellder, the Bivalve Pokémon. Shellder always have their tongue hanging out. They use this tongue with great dexterity to dig up sand from the seabed in their search for food. The hardness of their shell surpasses the hardness of a diamond. In days gone by, people used the shells to make shields."

"Corsola, the Coral Pokémon. Corsola are pursued by Mareanie for the branches that grow from their head. They will sometimes snap their own branches off as a diversion while they escape. They break off quite easily, but they grow back in about three days."

While I was on this little island, there was a little hole in the center, so I cast my fishing rod a few times, and hooked yet another familiar Kanto Pokémon, a Staryu! I had Formantis weaken it, and then easily caught it.

"Staryu, the Starshape Pokémon. Staryu get nibbled on by Lumineon and others. Thanks to their red core, they regenerate fast, so they're unconcerned by their snack attacks. Large numbers of them make their home at the seaside. At night, a strange red glow radiates from the center of their bodies."

77. Staryu
120.png

As I was Surfing back to the main path of Route 7, I battled a few wild Pokémon, and discovered one I never saw before! It was very tiny, had little red spikes on its back, and would push a hand-like appendage out from inside itself as a defense. I just started throwing Poké Balls at it, thinking it would be an easy catch. It wasn't! It put up a good fight, and took over a dozen Poké Balls before I finally caught it! Hey Rotom, who's this Pokémon?

"Pyukumuku, the Sea Cucumber Pokémon. Pyukumuku live in shallow seas, and line areas near beaches. They can eject their internal organs, which they use to engulf their prey or battle enemies. The sticky mucous that covers their bodies can be used to soothe sunburned skin. How convenient!"

78. Pyukumuku
771.png

A little more research about these Pokémon informed me that these Pokémon don't learn any direct attack moves, and their defenses are very high. So Pyukumuku is kind of an Alolan cross between a Shuckle and a Wobbuffet. It should be interesting to train!

OffRoadSP

Years
March 1, 2017

I feel like the last month has been very busy. I had to take a break from Alola. That, and I got a little engrossed with Final Fantasy XV, and was catching up on a lot of TV and anime. And Pokémon GO released new Pokémon too a few weeks ago, so I became obsessed with that. But time to take a break from catching Pokémon in the "real world," and getting back to my Alola journeys!

So I returned to Akala Island, where I believe I had just finished up exploring Route 7. Wela Volcano Park is my next destination, where I will undergo my next Island Trial. But first, I bet there are some new Pokémon to catch in the area! I stopped for a Komala Coffee at Royal Avenue, and then entered the Wela Volcano Park. I immediately saw some wild Fletchling, but when I went to catch one, a shadowy figure leaped from the tall grass. It looks like a new Pokémon! It's seems like some kind of dark lizard... Rotom, who's that cool-looking Pokémon?

"Salandit, the Toxic Lizard Pokémon. Salandit burn their bodily fluids to create poisonous gas. They emanate this sweet-smelling gas that attracts bug Pokémon. When their enemies become disoriented from inhaling the gas, they attack them. Volcanoes or dry, craggy places are their homes."

Rotom also said that it was a poison and fire-type Pokémon. That's a new combination! I sent out Poliwag, but the wild Salandit used Dragon Rage and knocked Poliwag back. I had it use Hypnosis to put Salandit to sleep, and then tossed a Poké Ball. I caught the Salandit!

79. Salandit
757.png

Over the next several minutes, I caught a Cubone and a Magby!

80. Cubone
104.png

81. Magby

240.png

The water-type Pokémon I have with me are quickly becoming stronger battling all the wild fire-type Pokémon here. As I was battling in the area, I encountered a surprising sight. It was a wild Kangaskhan! I had Poliwag put it to sleep (hoping it doesn't have Early Bird), and a few Poké Balls later, and I caught it! And thankfully, its ability wasn't Early Bird, but rather it's the much more useful Scrappy!

"Kangaskhan, the Parent Pokémon. Kangaskhan have maternal love that is so deep that they will brave death to protect their offspring. The child in their pouch leaves home after roughly three years. This is the only time the mother is heard to cry wildly."

82. Kangaskhan
115.png

After some more battling, I found some wild Fletchling. I had my Bonsly battle them, and caught one. And as I continued to train, my Bonsly evolved into Sudowoodo!

83. Fletchling
661.png

84. Sudowoodo

185.png

That's a good chunk of Pokémon added to my Akala Pokédex! I decided to explore further along the path around the volcano. I ran into a sightseer who challenged me to a battle. Since she wasn't from Alola, the Meowth she used was one that was more familiar to me than the ones native to this region.

"Meowth, the Scratch Cat Pokémon. Meowth lie around all day, becoming active near dusk. At night, they wander the city in search of loose change. They love shiny things. They often fight with Murkrow over prey they're both trying to catch."

Further along the path, I battled an Ace Trainer who used a Kadabra.

"Kadabra, the Psi Pokémon, and the evolved form of Abra. Kadabra have a presence that infests televisions and monitors with creepy shadows that bring bad luck. A theory exists that they are young boys who couldn't control their psychic powers and ended up transformed into these Pokémon."

I then explored the rest of the outer area of the volcano, having a few more battles. My Wishiwashi became strong enough to change into its School Form! I found another Zygarde Cell (9%), and found a spot to take some pictures of a wild Salandit with the Poké Finder. Then, back at the Pokémon Center, I gave all my Pokémon to Nurse Joy for treatment. I also asked to have Popplio sent to me, in preparation for my trial. I had it replace Formantis, since a grass-type would be at a severe disadvantage on a volcano.

OffRoadSP

Years
So, I apologize for how long it's been, or maybe nobody really missed it, haha, but I DO intend to complete this journal as I have for every game since Diamond & Pearl. I kind of got lost in Hyrule for a while... man was that fun. Anyway, back to Alola, and I'll start with an entry from a few months ago that I never posted...

March 2, 2017

I climbed to the top of the volcano, where Kiawe was waiting for me. He officially started the trial, explaining that it would test my powers of observation. Behind him were his three Marowak. But wait? those don?t look like any Marowak that I?ve seen before! These are much darker, and the bones they?re holding are longer and have green fires on both ends. The Cubone that I saw nearby looked the same, but their evolved forms are quite different! Rotom, what gives?

?Marowak, the Bone Keeper Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Cubone. Marowak have a custom of mourning their lost companions. Mounds of dirt by the side of the road mark their graves. The bones they possess were once their mothers?. The regrets of their mothers have become like vengeful spirits protecting them.?

The trio of Marowak performed two different dances. Kiawe?s challenge was for me to determine which Marowak danced differently each time. I chose correctly, and apparently my reward was a battle! It seems Alolan Marowak are fire and ghost-type; they?re not ground type at all! That still makes them week to water, so?

?Popplio, maximize!? I sent out my Pok?mon. The Marowak used Tail Whip, so I used the opportunity to charge up my Z Crystal. I started dancing in a wavy motion, and then the power transferred to Popplio.

?Popplio, use Hydro Vortex!? The powerful attack was super-effective, but the Marowak was still standing.

?It?s weakened, finish it with Aqua Jet!? Popplio quickly charged forward, knocking out Marowak easily.

?Marowak was so pleased by your right answer that it simply had to battle you,? commented Kiawe.

And with the battle ended, Popplio started to evolve! I now have a Brionne, whose extra power should really help in this trial.

85. Brionne
729.png

Next up was another dance from the trio of Marowak. I once again had to tell what was different? which was more than obvious by the photobombing hiker that appeared. This time, I had to battle the hiker in a one on one battle to proceed! He used a Magmar, so I decided to test out my new Brionne!

?Magmar, the Spitfire Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Magby. Magmar have bodies that burn at 2,192 degrees Fahrenheit. When angered, they spout brilliant fire from all over their body. They don?t calm down until their opponent has burned to ash. When they?re tired, they leap into the mouth of a volcano and soak their body in magma to ease their weariness.?

?Magmar, use Faint Attack!? the hiker called out, getting the first shot in on Brionne.

?Get ready, Brionne,? I said as I charged the Waterium Z again. ?Use Hydro Vortex!?

The attack did serious damage, but not quite enough. ?Same as before, follow that with Aqua Jet!?

The quick combination attack defeated my opponent.

?Well done,? Kiawe complimented. ?Onward to the final dance!?

The Marowak, as well as the hiker, did another pair of dances. After the latter dance, which was exactly the same, the difference was the arrival of a new Pok?mon? which apparently is the Totem Pok?mon! Is that a giant Salandit? No, it?s different? who?s that Pok?mon?

?Salazzle, the Toxic Lizard Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Salandit. Salazzle have only been found as females for some reason. They create a reverse harem of male Salandit that they live with. Filled with pheromones, their poisonous gas can be diluted to use in the production of luscious perfumes.?

?Well, it?s still poison and fire-type,? I observed. ?This might be a bad match-up, but, go, Sylveon!?

My fairy-type took the field. Salazzle tried using Toxic, but Sylveon shrugged it off. Then Salazzle called for help, and a Salandit appeared.

?Sylveon, use Hidden Power!? The attack was super-effective, and the ally Pok?mon was knocked out. Salazzle fired a Flame Burst, and then called for another Salandit.

?Keep using Hidden Power on those allies,? I called out. Salazzle used Torment to mess with our attack, and then called another ally to its side.

?We can?t use the same move again, so let?s mix things up with your Swift attack!? The attack did hit both Pok?mon, but our opponents used a brutal combo. Salazzle used Toxic, and then Salandit used Venoshock. To top it off, Salazzle finished up with Flame Burst, knocking out Sylveon.

?Sylveon, return, you did great,? I selected my next Pok?mon. ?Wishiwashi, maximize!?

My Pok?mon transformed into its School Form. Salazzle and Salandit used Torment and Taunt respectively, but I had Wishiwashi go right for Salazzle this time. ?Use Brine!?

The attack did some good damage! Unfortunately, our opponents used the Toxic + Venoshock combo again, but Wishiwashi was able to take it.

?Great job, Wishiwashi! Strike back with Feint Attack on Salandit!? The attack hit, but Salandit was hanging in there. Another Flame Burst and Venoshock attack, and Wishiwashi fainted.

?Return, Wishiwashi, and take a good rest. Poliwag, you?re next, maximize!?

The opposing pair is getting predictable, as Salazzle used Torment immediately, but before Salandit could use Taunt?

?Poliwag, use Rain Dance!? Rain started coming down, and steam rose as the rain fell on the volcano.

?Poliwag, return! Feebas, go, use Confide!? I?m setting up for the final shot. As I expected, Toxic followed by Venoshock knocked out Feebas.

?Brionne, maximize!? This better work the way I hope. I started to sway my arms. ?Use Hydro Vortex!?

The whirlpool of water violently tossed around Salazzle, powered up by the falling rain. As the vortex cleared, Salazzle was knocked out!

?Way to go, Brionne!? The rain stopped, and only Salandit remained. It used Taunt, which was fine, because the next move was most definitely going to be a direct attack.

?Brionne, use Water Gun, then follow up with a quick Aqua Jet!? The two attacks landed, and Salandit was knocked out! Brionne danced triumphantly.

Kiawe congratulated me on my victory, as his Marowak trio danced behind him. My Brionne joined them while Kiawe spoke with me. He awarded my fourth Z-Crystal, Firium Z! Kiawe demonstrated the movements needed to activate it. I then placed the Z-Crystal in my Z-Ring. Trial complete!

March 4, 2017

Kiawe had updated my Ride Pager to include a new Pok?mon. Kiawe had something that I had not expected to see in Alola? a Charizard! Rotom had no data, and that?s because Charizard are not native to Alola, as Kiawe explained. But, he did say that if I needed to travel somewhere among Melemele or Akala Island, his Charizard would respond to the pager and fly me there. That?s a handy convenience! No more annoying HM?s for fast travel!

First, though, it was recommended that I check out a place called the Pok? Pelago. Kiawe?s Charizard flew me there. Pok? Pelago was a strip of small islands. Pok?mon Trainers that begin their journey with Professor Kukui use the Pok? Pelago as a place to ?store? their Pok?mon. I met Mohn, the person who helps care for the Pok?mon that live here. He assisted me with having all of my Pok?mon transferred from Professor Kukui?s lab and Paniola Ranch to the islands.

The Pok? Pelago is made up of five islands: Isle Abeens, where Pok? Beans could be harvested; Isle Aplenny, where berries could be planted and grown; Isle Aphun, where Pok?mon could discover useful items; Isle Evelup, where Pok?mon could train; and Isle Avue, where Pok?mon could relax at a hot spring. This is like a much more interactive form of the old Pok?mon Ranch, which I very much miss from my days in the Sinnoh region!

March 6, 2017

I finally rotated my Pok?mon, getting ready to continue my adventure. (Although I did get a Nintendo Switch and Breath of the Wild, so I can see another break from Pok?mon coming up!)

OffRoadSP

Years
June 2, 2017

It?s been a few months since I?ve did any Pok?mon training in the Pok?mon world. This has got to be the longest break I?ve ever taken from Pok?mon! (Well, excluding Pok?mon GO.) But, I want to get back into it because, well, I miss it. I have an Alola journey to complete!

First order of business is figuring out where I left off, so reviewed what I?ve done and where I?m at.

Caught 85 Pok?mon in the Alola region.

Completed the Grand Trial on Melemele.

Completed two trials on Akala Island.

Obtained 5 Z-Crystals: Snorlium Z, Normalium Z, Fightinium Z, Waterium Z, and Firium Z.

Zygarde Cube is at 9%.

Festival Plaza (Green Grimer 2) is Rank 41.

Pok? Pelago is where all my Alola Pok?mon not in my party are staying.

I just completed Kiawe?s trial at Wela Volcano Park, and was staying at the Royal Avenue Pok?mon Center.

I picked up my six Pok?mon with Nurse Joy, and they seemed happy to see me, if not a little annoyed for taking so long to return! So I gathered Eevee #1, Trumbeak, Zubat, Chansey, Finneon, and Jigglypuff, and decided to shake the rust off and do some training!

June 3, 2017

One of the islands of the Pok? Pelago, Isle Aphun, has a lot of caves for Pok?mon to explore and find random items such as Hard Stones, Shards, Pearls, or even evolutionary stones! Today they turned up a few things like a Green Shard, and more importantly a very useful Shiny Stone.

June 4, 2017

My Pok?mon on Isle Aphun found a bunch more random items, including a Red Shard, a Rare Bone, and a new evolution stone called an Ice Stone! I wonder what Pok?mon evolve using an Ice Stone?

June 7, 2017

My Pok?mon have continued to collect items from the Pok? Pelago, so I expect I?ll be able to get a bunch of evolutionary stones that way. And in between, I have been training my current six Pok?mon at Wela Volcano Park. With today off from work, I?m hoping to make some serious progress!
As I finished training the current team, my Zubat evolved into Golbat!

?Golbat, the Bat Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Zubat. Golbat have thick fangs that are hollow like straws, making them unexpectedly fragile. These fangs are specialized for sucking blood. Sometimes they drink so much blood, they can?t fly anymore. Then they fall to the ground and become food for other Pok?mon.?

86. Golbat
042.png

I then rotated out my Pok?mon, taking Grubbin, Surskit, Eevee #4, Magikarp, Tauros, and Eevee #3 with me. Now it?s time to finally move on, so I passed Wela Volcano Park, passed through the tunnel at the north end of Route 7, and exited onto Route 8! Route 8 opened up to the salty air of the northern Akala coast. I did some fishing at a fishing spot nearby, since that seems to be the current global challenge. Which on that note, I?m mad that I missed a few. Then I saw the green glow of another Zygarde cell, so the Zygarde Cube is now at 10%. According to a message I received from Sina, this is enough to summon Zygarde, though its form would look completely different that the 50% form that I encountered in Kalos.

Then I returned to the coast to fish some more, and found mostly Magikarp and a few Wishiwashi. But then I snagged a Chinchou! It took a few Pok? Balls, but I caught it.

?Chinchou, the Angler Pok?mon. Chinchou live in the depths beyond the reach of sunlight. They flash lights on their antennae to communicate with others of their kind. These two antennae were originally fins. They discharge electricity to stun their prey before attacking.?

87. Chinchou
170.png

A little further on Route 8, I found a base where some Aether Foundation scientists were helping treat a trainer?s injured Slowpoke. Outside, I ran into a familiar, but extremely unexpected face. It was Colress, a researcher formerly part of Team Plasma, who helped Ghetsis in his nefarious plans to bring disaster to the Unova region. Colress never bought into Team Plasma?s ideals, and only joined as a means to study Pok?mon in an effort to find a way to draw out the true strength of Pok?mon. Despite the half decade or so since our last encounter, he recognized me as well. He said he came to Alola to study Z-Power and compare it to the power of a Mega Ring. That makes sense, since both are ways to tap into a Pok?mon?s full power. He also seemed fascinated by the Pok? Pelago. As long as he keeps his nose clean, we shouldn?t have a problem. Team Skull doesn?t seem his style, anyway.

June 8, 2017

I was looking for wild Pok?mon on Route 8, and found a bunch of wild Yungoos. Then finally, I saw something new. It was a Pok?mon I saw at Professor Kukui?s lab: a Stufful! I sent out Eevee to battle it, and it called another wild Stufful to help. The Stufful used a move I never saw before; one would swing its body around damaging its ally as well as its opponent. Rotom said the move was called Brutal Swing, and it?s a dark-type move. I was able to knock out the first one and weaken the second one enough to catch it! Hey, Rotom, tell me about Stufful!

?Stufful, the Flailing Pok?mon. Stufful are incredibly dangerous Pok?mon despite their adorable appearance. A touch from anyone except a known friend sends them into a surging frenzy. When they get angry and flail about, their arms and legs could knock a pro wrestler sprawling.?

88. Stufful
759.png

Stufful is a normal and fighting-type, and even more interesting, has an ability I?ve never seen before. Fluffy halves the damage from moves that make direct contact, but gives it a weakness to fire. It?s almost like Furfrou?s Fur Coat ability, with a slight twist.

I then reached a Pok?mon Center near the west end of Route 8. After giving my Pok?mon to Nurse Joy for treatment, I was told that Captain Mallow?s trial was not far from here. Route 8 loops around and connects with Route 5, from which I could reach the Lush Jungle. Sounds like a place where I might find some new grass-type Pok?mon!

OffRoadSP

Years
June 11, 2017

Why wait any longer? It?s time to take on my next island trial!

Since this will be a grass-type trial, I decided to take a break from my current rotation of Pok?mon and take my Litten with me to help me in the trial. For backup, I also brought along some of the fire-types I caught at Wela Volcano Park.

First, I wanted to test out my Firium Z. I powered it up, and had Litten use a Z-move called Inferno Overdrive, which blasts the opponent with a fiery explosion. (The poor wild Lillipup didn?t know what hit it!) That will come in handy in our next trial.

June 12, 2017

I entered the Lush Jungle, where Mallow was waiting for me near the entrance.

?Thanks for stopping by!? the captain greeted. ?Welcome to Lush Jungle, the trial grounds for me, Mallow! I knew it the first time I saw you and your team, you?ve chosen only the finest ingredients! That?s why I?m gonna make you help me- er, no! I mean, that?s why you should try my trial!?

Hm, I wonder where she?s going with this after that slip.

?You are the one that Tapu Koko saved, aren?t you?? Mallow asked.

?Yeah, some Spearow were attacking a small Pok?mon, and when we the bridge collapsed under us, Tapu Koko dove down from the sky to rescue us,? I replied.

?I see! Then you?re so totally ready for this! Ah, the breath of the jungle, I can tell what today?s special should be?? Mallow thought for a second, then clapped her hands together. ?Yup! It?s gotta be! My personal specialty: the Mallow Special! I?m gonna need you to find four ingredients for me! I?ll need a Mago Berry, a Tiny Mushroom, a Revival Herb, and a Miracle Seed!?

We walked through the trial gate, and Mallow handed be a Forage Bag to hold the ingredients I gather for the trial. She also suggested that using my Ride Pager to call Stoutland might help, as Stoutland could help sniff out the ingredients.

TRIAL START!

I jumped on Stoutland?s back, and started searching the jungle. Not far from the entrance, we found a patch of mushrooms sprouting in the soil. There were a bunch of Tiny Mushrooms, but there was an odd Big Mushroom among them. I placed a Tiny Mushroom in the Forage Bag, when suddenly, the Big Mushroom attacked! Whoa, it?s actually a Pok?mon, and one I never saw before! Rotom, who?s that? Rotom? Apparently, the Pok?mon startled it too, but from behind I tree I heard?

?Shiinotic, the Illuminating Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Morelull. Shiinotic emit flickering spores that cause drowsiness. When their prey succumb to sleep, they feed on them by sucking in their energy. Forests where they live are treacherous to enter at night. People confused by their strange lights can never find their way home again.?

Ok, well that?s pretty creepy.

?Litten, help me out!? My fire-type cat jumped out to battle. ?Let?s not take any chances. Inferno Overdrive!?

The attack was super effective, but not enough to knock it out. And to make matters worse, it used Sleep Powder on Litten!

?No! Litten, wake up!? It was no use, and the Shiinotic started to absorb Litten?s energy with Mega Drain, just like the Pok?dex described.

Litten did eventually wake up long enough to use Fire Fang, but was put to sleep again immediately with Sleep Powder. Shiinotic then used Ingrain to regain some energy, and smacked Litten with Astonish.

?Come on, Litten, use Fire Fang!? My Pok?mon woke up and was finally able to knock out its opponent.

A little further in the jungle, we were attacked by a Formantis that jumped out of a tree, but Litten easily defeated it with Inferno Overdrive. Then we found a Mago Berry nearby. Two ingredients to go!

In another part of the jungle, I needed help from Tauros to smash some rocks, one of which had the Miracle Seed I needed hiding underneath! That just leaves a Revival Herb as the last ingredient I need.

In the deepest part of Lush Jungle, I found a few spots where it looked like Revival Herbs were growing. Except this was a ruse, and most of them turned out to be Formantis when I went to pull them! But Litten easily defeated them? and started to evolve! That?s one cool cat? I mean hot cat, ?cause it?s fire-type? never mind, just who?s that Pok?mon?

?Torracat, the Fire Cat Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Litten. Torracat boast powerful front legs. With a single punch, they can bend an iron bar right over. At their throat, they bear a bell of fire. The bell rings brightly whenever they spit fire.?

89. Torracat
726.png

We then found the actual Revival Herbs, and Torracat got to try out its new power on one last Formantis. After that battle, I returned to the entrance and handed the Forage Bag with the ingredients to Captain Mallow. I was then in for a small surprise. Lana and Kiawe showed up, and added their own (odd) ingredients to the mix. Strange as the combination was, Mallow said that cooking this recipe will lure out the Totem Pok?mon of Lush Jungle.

?The aroma of this tasty dish will draw that Totem Pok?mon right to us! Ready to start cooking?? asked Mallow.

I agreed, and Mallow instructed me as to what to do. The ?ingredients? that Lana and Kiawe brought made more sense once I started crushing, pounding, and grinding the ingredients. A unique aroma began to waft around the area, when I suddenly felt a piercing gaze from somewhere within the underbrush. I felt something creeping up to me, and the three captains were looking at something behind me, so I turned?

?Lurantis, the Bloom Sickle Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Formantis. Lurantis fire beams from their sickle-shaped petals. These beams are powerful enough to cleave through thick metal plates. It requires a lot of effort to maintain their vivid coloring, but some collectors enjoy this work and treat it as their hobby.?

?So that?s the Totem Pok?mon we?re facing,? I said. ?Torracat, maximize!?

My new Pok?mon took the field. Three trial captains looked on.

?Torracat, use Fire Fang!? My Pok?mon leapt in to attack, but the Lurantis struck first with Razor Leaf. So Lurantis is faster than Torracat. After the exchange of attacks, Lurantis called out for help, and a Trumbeak appeared.

?Torracat, return and take a rest!? I switched out my Pok?mon. ?Kangaskhan, I choose you!?

The Lurantis started charging its energy like it was going to use Solar Beam, but this move was quite different, as a blade of light struck Kangaskhan and immediately knocked it out!

?Whoa, what was that?? I asked as I recalled my Pok?mon.

?That was Solar Blade,? Mallow answered. ?It?s the totem?s special move. Lurantis gathers light and fills a blade with the light?s energy, then attacks. Since Lurantis also had a Power Herb, it was able to use the attack much faster than normal!?

?So, it?s a physical Solar Beam,? I reasoned. ?Go, Salandit! Use Dragon Rage!?

Unfortunately, my Pok?mon never got the attack off. Lurantis used X-Scissor and Trumbeak used Pluck, and knocked out my Pok?mon.

?Salandit, return,? I said, realizing at this point that I was likely going to lose this battle. ?Let?s try this. Stufful, go! Use Brutal Swing!?

My Pok?mon did very modest damage to both Pok?mon. Then I had an idea?

?Stufful, use Bide!? This would have worked, had Lurantis not landed a critical hit with Solar Blade. That was quite aggravating.

?Thank you, Stufful, you tried.? I realize my problem is that I?m using Pok?mon who have never batted before. So, back to basics.

?Torracat, it?s up to you! Let?s go? INFERNO OVERDRIVE!? I powered up the Firium Z, and Torracat blasted Lurantis? with a critical hit! Ok, that made up for the last attack, because Totem Lurantis was knocked out!

?Great job, Torracat!? I almost forgot about Trumbeak in my excitement. ?Quick, dodge that Supersonic, then use Fire Fang!?

This time, it was Trumbeak that dodged, and instead connected with Supersonic.

?I will not lose after coming this far,? I said with clenched fists. ?Use Fire Fang!?

Torracat heard my call, and chomped down on Trumbeak, not only doing good damage, but also leaving it burned! When Trumbeak knocked Torracat off with Pluck, it was thankfully not as damaging.

?Hang in there, Torracat. Finish this with Fire Fang!? Torracat shook off the confusion, and knocked out Trumbeak! It roared in triumph as we won the battle!

?Wow, Steve!? Mallow congratulated me. ?You really drew out the flavor of your Pok?mon in that battle!?

?Yes, even back at Wela Volcano Park my vaunted Salazzle didn?t stand a chance,? added Kiawe.

?Nor did the Wishiwashi that I had trained so carefully,? Lana chimed in.

?All right, you?ve cleared all three of Akala?s trials!? Mallow stood there with hands on her hips. ?You even managed to get through my trial, and I?d say it?s a real doozy!?

Mallow awarded me a new Z-Crystal, and showed me how to use grass-type Z-Moves. Trial complete!!

After the trial, Professor Kukui congratulated me on clearing all three of Akala Island?s trials.

?Looks like it?s time for you to take on Kahuna Olivia?s grand trial!? the professor advised. ?Olivia is an expert user of rock-type Pok?mon. You?re gonna wanna catch some grass-type Pok?mon in Lush Jungle to add to your team. Whenever you?re ready for the grand trial, come see me at the Dimensional Research Lab! It?s down past Route 6, yeah, but just ask Rotom if you need some help!?

Rotom showed me the map, and it looks like the Dimensional Research Lab is back in Heahea City. But first, time to go back to training my Pok?mon, and seeing what kind of wild Pok?mon live in Lush Jungle!

OffRoadSP

Years
After getting some rest, I fit the Grassium Z into my Z-Ring, and decided to continue to train my current team. I figured Torracat, Fletchling, Salandit, Kangaskhan, Magby, and Stufful would be a good group to explore the Lush Jungle with. The grass-type Pok?mon that live in the wild there would make easy opponents for my mostly fire-type team.

It wasn?t long after exploring that I ran into a wild Pok?mon that I had never seen before! It looked like a little berry, almost like a completely round Cherubi. Who?s that Pok?mon?

?Bounsweet, the Fruit Pok?mon. Bounsweet pour a delectable aroma from their body. Although it?s too sugary for human consumption, their sweat can be watered down into a juice with just the right amount of sweetness. They are often swallowed whole by Toucannon lured by the wafting deliciousness.?

What?s a Toucannon? Anyway, I had Kangaskhan use Fake Out to weaken it, and then two Pok? Balls later, I caught it!

90. Bounsweet
761.png

?You?re almozzzt up to 100 Pok?mon in your ?Dex, pal!? Rotom reported. ?There are plenty of different kinds of Pok?mon in Alola, huh? But none are azzz great azzz me! Zz-zz-zz!?

Rotom was right, but I took way too long a break, and I?m severely falling behind other trainers. I really want to see what the other islands of Alola have to offer!

Back to exploring the Lush Jungle. After a little more searching, I found a very familiar Pok?mon; it was a Pinsir! After a long battle with a couple of them, I had Torracat paralyze one with a Lick attack, and then a handful of Pok? Balls later, I caught a Pinsir!

?Pinsir, the Stagbeetle Pok?mon. Pinsir grip their prey in their pincers and split them apart. One solid blow from their horns is enough to split apart a large tree. Although they are powerful, they can?t deal with the cold. Their greatest rival in Alola is Vikavolt.?

91. Pinsir
127.png

?What?s a Vikavolt? Man, the last two Pok?dex entries are telling me I still have a lot of new Pok?mon to discover in Alola!

I took a break to take some photos with the Pok? Finder, and got some more likes for an animated picture of a wild Paras. Then not long after, I encountered something very new. At first I thought it was a Slaking, but it was smaller than that would be. But it was a very cool looking purple and white ape, which was holding some branches like a fan. I can?t wait to hear about this one! Rotom, what?ve you got?

?Oranguru, the Sage Pok?mon. Oranguru abide deep in the jungle, high in lofty canopies. Known for their extreme intelligence, they will look down on inexperienced trainers, so they?re best suited to veteran trainers. On rare occasions, they show up at the beach to match wits with Slowking.?

Not only that, but Rotom also explained that Oranguru is a normal and psychic-type, which is a unique combination. I?m more excited to learn about it now! I had Kangaskhan use Fake Out to weaken it slightly, but it called some Trumbeak to help it out. When it was just Oranguru, I switched between tossing Pok? Balls and Great Balls. It took a little bit, but eventually a Great Ball clicked. I caught an Oranguru!

92. Oranguru
765.png

I continued to train my team, mostly finding wild Formantis, Paras, and Trumbeak to battle. Eventually, my team was pretty worn out, so I returned to the Pok?mon Center and gave my Pok? Balls to Nurse Joy. I decided I would return to the rotation I was working on prior to my island trial, so I once again took Grubbin, Surskit, Eevee #4, Magikarp, Tauros, and Eevee #3 with me.

June 13, 2017

I stopped by Green Grimer 2, where I collected my reward for the fishing Global Mission, and the rank of my Festival Plaza is now Rank 60! I collected the usual items from the festival, and stopped by the caf? to treat one of my Eevee. Then it was back to Lush Jungle. I saw some flowers moving through the tall grass. No wait, it looks like a lei that?s? floating? And it has a face? is that a Pok?mon?

?Comfey, the Posy Picker Pok?mon. Comfey attach flowers to their highly nutritious vine. This revitalizes the flowers, and they give off an aromatic scent. Baths prepared with the flowers from their vine have a relaxing effect, so they are a hit with many people.?

Another new Pok?mon! I thought it might be a grass-type, but it seems it?s a fairy-type. It called for help so I ended up battling two of them, but they were tougher than they looked! They knocked out Grubbin, but I had Tauros use Breakneck Blitz to finally knock one out. The wild Comfey kept using Growth and eventually knocked out my Tauros with a powered up Magical Leaf. I went through about a dozen Pok? Balls, but eventually I was able to catch it!

93. Comfey
764.png

I ran back to the Pok?mon Center to heal my Pok?mon. Professor Kukui was there, and he was studying a move I never saw before. It?s called Smart Strike, and it?s a steel-type move that never misses. Only Pok?mon with a horn can learn it, so he helped me teach it to my Tauros. I shared some of my recent captures from Lush Jungle with the professor. He seemed impressed, but said there were some very rare Pok?mon that I live in the jungle that I haven?t caught yet. He advised that I search Lush Jungle under different weather conditions, especially rain, to increase the chances of finding these rare Pok?mon. So before leaving the Pok?mon Center, I also taught my Surskit the move Rain Dance.

A few of my Pok?mon evolved during training. Eevee #3 evolved into Espeon, which was my main goal for the day. My Magikarp defeated a wild Caterpie and evolved into Gyarados, and gives me another Pok?mon that could use Rain Dance. Finally, I found a mossy rock near the back of the jungle, and my other Eevee evolved into Leafeon! I?m just glad I won?t have to keep calling my Eevee by numbers.

?Espeon, the Sun Pok?mon, and an evolved form of Eevee. Espeon can instantaneously sense their opponents? movements by feeling air currents with their fine fur. They unleash psychic power from the orb on their forehead. When its power is exhausted, the orb grows dull and dark.?

?Gyarados, the Atrocious Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Magikarp. Gyarados are believed to appear any place that is fated for destruction. A tale is told of a town that angered them. Before the sun rose the next day, flames utterly consumed the town, leaving not a trace behind.?

?Leafeon, the Verdant Pok?mon, and an evolved form of Eevee. Leafeon have a cellular composition closer to that of a plant than an animal. They use photosynthesis to produce their energy supply without eating food. The younger they are, the more they smell like fresh grass. With age, their fragrance takes on the odor of fallen leaves.?

94. Espeon
196.png

95. Gyarados
130.png

96. Leafeon

470.png

Later that night, I wanted to test out my new Grassium Z. So I sent out Leafeon and powered up the Z-Ring. Leafeon was able to use the grass-type Z-Move called Bloom Doom, which to me pretty much looks like a Solar Beam surrounded by flowers.

OffRoadSP

Years
June 14, 2017

My Grubbin evolved after doing some battling today. That?s one blocky cocoon stage for a bug-type. Who?s that Pok?mon?

?Charjabug, the Battery Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Grubbin. Charjabug generate electricity from the food they digest, and they store this energy in their electric sac in their body. On camping trips, people are grateful to have one around.?

97. Charjabug
737.png

So it becomes part electric-type, interesting. I wonder what its final form looks like.

While I continued to explore Lush Jungle while having Surskit or Gyarados use Rain Dance, I thought I saw a familiar Pok?mon appear in the tall grass. Was that a Goomy? That would make sense, since Goomy love rain! I?ll have to keep searching.

It took nearly all day, spamming Rain Dance in Lush Jungle, but during a battle with some wild Trumbeak, I finally found a Goomy!

?Goomy, the Soft Tissue Pok?mon. Goomy are the weakest of all dragon-type Pok?mon. Their source of protection is their slimy, germ-laden mucous membrane. Anyone who touches it needs some thorough hand-washing. They?re unable to breathe if their skin dries out, so they stick to shady places.?

98. Goomy
704.png

June 15, 2017

I switched things up and taught Gyarados to use Hail. I was battling a group of wild Paras for over an hour, when suddenly, a Castform appeared!

?Castform, the Weather Pok?mon. Castform change their form on their own depending on the weather, due to their cells? sensitive reactions to temperature and humidity. This is Castform?s form when caught in a hailstorm. Their cold skin is as smooth as ice. Their body becomes an ice-like material, with temperature near 23 degrees Fahrenheit.?

It changed the weather over and over while I tossed over a dozen Pok? Balls at it. (Seriously, this battle was annoying. The Paras kept calling for help as SOON as the hail ended, probably six or seven times in a row.)

?This is Castform?s form during a downpour of rain. Their body retains moisture and gets slippery. When their body is compressed, water will seep out as if from a sponge.?

?This is Castform?s form when basking in fair weather. Their body is warm and toasty. Their skin is unexpectedly hot to the touch, so approach with care.?

My persistence paid off, and I finally caught the Castform!

99. Castform
351.png

With obtaining those hard to find Pok?mon out of the way, I finished up training the current team of Pok?mon. There was one more addition to my Pok?dex though, as my Surskit evolved into Masquerain!

?Masquerain, the Eyeball Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Surskit. Masquerain intimidate enemies with the eye-like patterns on their antennae. Their four wings allow them to fly in any direction. Their wings and antennae don?t cope well with moisture. After a rain, they face sunward to dry off.?

100. Masquerain
284.png

With that, I?ve obtained 100 Pok?mon in Alola! I still have a long way to go, but I feel like this is a decent milestone to have reached.

OffRoadSP

Years
June 25, 2017

It's time to take another group of Pokémon with me for training. I visited the Poké Pelago and took Yungoos, Crabrawler, Mudbray, Gastly, Paras, and Butterfree with me. I spent a little time in the Lush Jungle, and while I was training that team, I found a Pokémon egg among the trees. It quickly hatched, and it was a Pokémon I never saw before. It looked like a black and white monkey. It grabbed a nearby berry, broke it in half, and wore it on its head like a helmet. Then it found another round berry, and started throwing it around like a ball. Rotom, who's that feisty Pokémon?

"Passimian, the Teamwork Pokémon. Passimian battle with hard berries for weapons. They form groups of roughly 20 individuals. Their mutual bond is remarkable; they will never let down a comrade. Their battle techniques are passed from the boss to the group, generation upon generation."

101. Passimian
766.png

I feel I have found everything there is to find in the Lush Jungle, so I decided to return to Route 8 to explore it more thoroughly. I found a guy living in a trailer in a clearing off to the side of the route. He called the area the Dream Park, and hopes to one day make it a park consisting entirely of Pokémon that are revived from fossils. Nearby, there was a scientist named Tyrone who said that the Dream Park actually had the technology to revive Pokémon from fossils. To prove it, he battled me with an Archen and a Shieldon, two Pokémon familiar to me from other regions! They're fossil Pokémon from Unova and Sinnoh, respectively.

"Archen, the First Bird Pokémon. Archen are the ancestors of all bird Pokémon. They could not actually fly but moved by hopping from treetop to treetop. They would glide down from tall treetops to snag prey."

"Shieldon, the Shield Pokémon. Shieldon lived in primeval jungles. Many fossils of this Pokémon have been found, but almost none have shown signs of damage to the face. It's thought that few enemies would have been willing to square off against their heavily armored face."

I battled several other trainers along the route, then took a small break at the Pokémon Center. While I was there, I received a gift for taking part in the latest Global Mission… a very rare Lure Ball! The only other place I've seen those were in the Johto region! I'll have to save it for a special occasion.

Outside the Pokémon Center, I stumbled upon another Zygarde Cell, bringing the Zygarde Cube up to 11%.

June 26, 2017

I saw some kids chasing a Pokémon on the small beach on Route 8. Every time someone got remotely close to it, it scurried into a small cave. I never saw that Pokémon before, so I wanted to catch it! But first I need to know more about it. Rotom?

"Wimpod, the Turn Tail Pokémon. Wimpod are cowards. As they desperately dash off, the flailing of their many legs leaves a sparkling clean path in their wake. Their habitat varies from beaches to seabeds. A natural scavenger, they will gleefully chow down on anything edible, no matter how rotten."

Even when I approached, it ran away to hide. So I snuck around to block its cave, and sent out Paras to battle it. I had it use Fury Cutter to weaken it, then got ready to toss a Poké Ball… but it ran away!

"Wimpod'zzz ability is Wimp Out," explained Rotom. "It will run away if it takezzz too much damage zzzt."

Ok, so new approach. I blocked its cave again, and waited for it to run towards me. This time when it did, I simply had Paras use Stun Spore to paralyze it. Since it's a bug and water-type, I figured a Net Ball would work well. I only have two, but I threw one, and caught the Wimpod!

102. Wimpod
767.png

I met an Ace Trainer named Eileen who challenged me to a battle. I greatly underestimated her strength, because she had a Z-Ring! The fact that I had mostly fighting, grass, and bug-type while she used flying-types didn't help. It took four of my Pokémon just to take down her Wingull. She also had a Fearow, and I got to witness a new Z-Move called Supersonic Strike, which unfortunately my Pokémon were no match for. I will be back to challenge her, though likely with a different team.

"Fearow, the Beak Pokémon, and the evolved form of Spearow. Fearow are tough and have excellent stamina. They have no problem flying continuously for a whole day carrying a heavy load. Drawings of Pokémon resembling them can be seen in murals from deep in ancient history."

I then explored more of Route 5, as I continued to train my team. I found another Zygarde cell (12%), battled a bunch of trainers and wild Pokémon, and my Yungoos evolved into Gumshoos!

103. Gumshoos
735.png

I finished up exploring Route 5, and then rotated out my Pokémon. The next group consisted of Poliwag #1, Wingull, Rattata, Eevee #6, Oricorio, and Barboach.

The next day, I decided I wanted to train for a rematch with Eileen on Route 8. Looking at my current Pokémon, there was one that might give me a small advantage. I took one of the Thunder Stones my Pokémon found on Isle Aphun, and gave it to my Eevee, evolving it into a Jolteon!

"Jolteon, the Lightning Pokémon, and an evolved form of Eevee. Jolteon send out electrical charges of about 10,000 volts. When their fur stands on end, that's a sign they're about to give off a jolt of electricity. Take care, as sometimes lightning strikes next to them, too. Because they are high-strung, it can be difficult to grow close to them."

104. Jolteon
135.png

When I stopped by Royal Avenue, my Oricorio seemed to want to check out the pink flowers that were growing in the park in the middle of town. There must have been some Pink Nectar among the flowers, because my Oricorio changed forms, changing to the Pa'u Style, making it part psychic-type.

June 27, 2017

I was training my team in various areas around Akala Island, and my Rattata evolved into Raticate! But it wasn't the Raticate I'm familiar with, it looked like the Raticate that I battled in the trial back on Melemele Island.

105. Raticate
020-a.png

I then returned to re-challenge Eileen, and this battle went much differently. Jolteon easily defeated her Wingull and softened up her Fearow. Even though Jolteon was knocked out by Supersonic Strike, my newly evolved Raticate was able to win the battle with Breakneck Blitz!

OffRoadSP

Years
June 29, 2017

As I traveled down Route 5, I ran into another trainer that had a Z-Ring, a guy named Bronson who said he was a trial guide. He used a Slowpoke, so I assumed he had Waterium Z. Instead, I was treated to the psychic-type Z-Move, Shattered Psyche, which tossed my Pok?mon around in the air a bit before knocking it out with a powerful blast. Jolteon once again was helpful in winning that battle.

June 30, 2017

I returned to Heahea City, where Lillie and Nebby were waiting outside the Dimensional Research Lab. She asked me how my island trials were going, and then we were soon joined by Professor Kukui. The three of us went inside the Dimensional Research lab. When we reached the third floor, Kukui shouted out ?Hey there, honey!? to someone across the room. When she turned around, I realized it was someone I?ve met before. It was Professor Burnet! I first met Professor Burnet several years ago when I was traveling through the Unova region for the second time. She was studying what was called the Interdream Zone, which was the space between dreams and reality. She developed the Dream Radar to access this space, which was how I caught a trio of legendary Pok?mon that adapted a Therian Forme in that dimension: Tornadus, Thunderus, and Landorus. But I learned some new facts: not only that Burnet runs the Dimensional Research Lab here in Alola, but that she?s also Kukui?s wife!

After a bit of catching up and explaining how Burnet and Lillie met, Hau joined us. Kukui stated that he wanted all of us to learn about some mysterious phenomena that were occurring around the Alola region. He turned it over to Burnet, who said she was studying something called the Ultra Wormhole. She explained that it?s an extremely rare hole that sometimes opens in the sky over Alola. It?s a rift that leads to another dimension. She explained that there are legends of strange and powerful Pok?mon that have appeared from these Ultra Wormholes. Some of the evidence she said that supports this is that there are plenty of Pok?mon that the Pok?dex that have to do with other dimensions, such as Bronzong, Palkia, or Giratina. She said the Pok?mon that come from an Ultra Wormhole are known as Ultra Beasts.

Interesting. Legendary Pok?mon, mythical Pok?mon, and now Ultra Beasts? I can?t wait to learn more about them. But first, I have an island challenge to prepare for, and an Akala Pok?dex to focus on completing! Professor Kukui pointed me in the direction of Diglett Tunnel to find where Olivia would hold her grand trial.

When I stepped outside, I saw something strange happen in the sky. Could that have been an Ultra Wormhole?

So Alola has a Diglett Tunnel like Kanto. Unfortunately, the only Pok?mon that live in this long tunnel are wild Zubat and Diglett, so it?s not a lot of variety. When I entered the tunnel, I was met by Olivia. She said that the wild Diglett here were acting strange, so some folks from the Aether Foundation were here helping to find out what the cause is. She said that if I wanted to battle her, I should go to her shop in Konikoni City at the other end of Diglett?s Tunnel.

July 1, 2017

I found a pair of Aether Foundation folks in Diglett?s Tunnel. They said that the Diglett were finally calming down, and that it was Team Skull that caused the disturbance. And a little further in the cave, I came upon the pair of troublemaking grunts. They attacked me with a Salandit and Formantis, but luckily Hau showed up and we had a tag battle with them. Hau sent out Pikachu and I sent out Raticate. We easily defeated the Team Skull goons, and they ran off.

I exited the other end of the cave, and stepped onto Route 9. There was a police station there (Alola care?s about your safety!) but other than that, it seems the short route is nothing more than a crossroads.

July 2, 2017

I did some fishing on Route 9. First I hooked a wild Wishiwashi, which could actually become its school form. The second Pok?mon I found was a Corsola! It kept calling for help, but I figured I should catch one. But once in a while a wild Mareanie would show up and attack the Corsola! So I decided to shift my focus and try to catch one of those, and I eventually did.

106. Mareanie
747.png

July 3, 2017

I did more fishing along Route 9. I soon found another Pok?mon I haven?t seen yet in Alola: a Luvdisc! I managed to catch it easily. Along with Wishiwashi and Magikarp, these Pok?mon seemed to be pretty common here.

?Luvdisc, the Rendezvous Pok?mon. Luvdisc left on their own become despondent, leaving themselves open to attack. That is when Pelipper snatch them up. Loving couples have a soft spot for them, so honeymoon hotels often release them into their pools.?

107. Luvdisc
370.png

I kept fishing because I wanted to find a Corsola to catch. It took a short while, but I eventually found and caught one!

108. Corsola
222.png

That should be all for Route 9, so it?s time to check out Konikoni City!

July 4, 2017

I arrived in Konikoni City just in time for a fireworks festival! The fireworks were shot off near a gated off lighthouse and reflected beautifully over the water.

I explored the city a bit too. There was plenty to buy here, from incense to evolution stones to fashion items. While I was walking around, I saw a Delibird fly over to a Probopass and give it a letter. The Probopass went inside one of the shops. I decided to check that shop out, and it turns out that it was Kahuna Olivia?s shop! The note the Probopass had was for anyone looking to challenge the kahuna. It stated that anyone who wanted to undergo the grand trial of Akala Island should meet Olivia at the nearby Ruins of Life. I also found another Zygarde Cell hiding in her shop. This cell looked different though, and according to the Zygarde Cube this was a special Zygarde Cell known as a Zygarde Core, and this brings the cube to 13%.

I went back outside and saw a trainer with a trio of Pikachu putting on a little show. Afterwards, the trainer saw my Z-Ring, and so gave me a Z-Crystal! This one was Pikanium Z, and like the Snorlium Z, is specific for a single Pok?mon. Next time I train my Pikachu, I?ll have to try it out!

At the Pok?mon Center, I took some time to decide what to do next. I?d like to do one final rotation of Pok?mon training, this time with every single Pok?mon that?s in the Akala Pok?dex that I?ve caught, or will catch. I checked with Rotom, and the total would be 69 Pok?mon, of which I currently have 62. I?ll add the three starter Pok?mon to the rotation, so the total is divisible by six. So that makes 12 groups. The first group will be Goldeen, Luvdisc, Cubone, Jolteon, and Dewpider. The sixth spot I left open for a reason. Olivia?s Shop not only sells evolutionary stones, but also Pok?mon fossils! I picked up a Plume Fossil, and then had Charizard fly me back to Route 8. Though the trailer doesn?t look like much, the guy that wants to build a Dream Park for fossil Pok?mon was able to restore the Plume Fossil, so Archen was added to my team!

109. Archen
566.png

So it?s time to start my training. I?ll wait until I have a team made up of types that would be a good match for the rock-type using kahuna.

I left Konikoni City and headed in the direction of the Ruins of Life. I had to pass through a graveyard known as Memorial Hill. There were a few Pok?mon trainers there looking for a battle, and among the Pok?mon I fought were a few I had yet to see in Alola.

?Ledian, the Five Star Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Ledyba. Ledian throw punches with all four arms in battle. The power of each individual blow is piddly, so they aim to win by quantity rather than quality. While it?s believed that starlight provides them with energy, they also love to eat berries. In the daytime, they curl up in the grass to sleep.?

?Ariados, the Long Leg Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Spinarak. Ariados spin thread from both their rear and their mouth. Then they wrap their prey up in thread and sip their bodily fluids at their leisure. There are some areas where people use this string for their own weaving. The resulting cloth is popular for its strength.?

I also found that there were some wild Pok?mon that lived in the area: Gastly, Zubat, and even some Phantump!

?Phantump, the Stump Pok?mon. Phantump are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died in the forest. Their cries sound like eerie screams. According to legend, medicine to cure any illness can be made by plucking the green leaves on their head, brewing them, and boiling down the liquid.?

OffRoadSP

Years
July 5, 2017

After getting a little sleep, I went back to Memorial Hill. When I ran into a wild Phantump, I threw a single Poké Ball and caught it!

110. Phantump
708.png

I continued to train my team against the wild Pokémon there, making a few trips back to Konikoni City to stop at the Pokémon Center. On one of the trips back, I found a Zygarde Cell near the lighthouse (15%). Eventually, I finished training the current team, and rotated out for Tauros, Finneon, Chansey, Magby, Wingull, and Barboach.

As I passed through Memorial Hill, I ran into a face-off between two folks from the Aether Foundation and two Team Skull grunts. Team Skull was trying to hurt a Slowpoke, and the Aether Foundation was trying to stop them. I helped out by battling against one of the grunt's Raticate, and then Team Skull ran off. The two scientists thanked me for my help. One of them, who seemed higher ranking as well as a bit arrogant, said that I should stop by the Hano Resort sometime if I wanted a tour of something amazing. I'll think about that after my grand trial.

July 10, 2017

I rotated my Pokémon, taking Goomy, Torracat, Golbat, and Diglett. Why only four? Because for one of the other spots, I purchased a Cover Fossil from Olivia's shop, and then took it to Dream Park on Route 8 to have it restored into a Tirtouga!

"Tirtouga, the Prototurtle Pokémon. Tirtouga are reputed to be the ancestor of most turtle Pokémon. They lived in warm seas approximately a hundred million years ago. Based on studies of their skeletal structure, they can apparently dive to ocean depths of over half a mile."

111. Tirtouga
564.png

July 12, 2017

I've been training in a new area just past Memorial Hill, called the Akala Outskirts. I'm getting closer to the Ruins of Life and my Akala Grand Trial! While most of my battles were against wild Wingull, Gumshoos, Raticate, and even a Stufful, I did find a wild Nosepass wandering around. That explains the Probopass I saw in Olivia's shop. I had Goomy weaken and paralyze it with a few Dragon Breath attacks, and then tossed a Poké Ball and caught it!

"Nosepass, the Compass Pokémon. Nosepass use powerful magnetism to drag prey toward them. They're also known to pull in metal, which they collect and use to protect themselves. The magnet in their nose provides an unerring compass, making them an excellent partner for trainers going on a journey."

112. Nosepass
299.png

After training a while with that group, I rotated out my Pokémon for Chinchou, Castform, Corsola, Alomomola, Leafeon, and Oricorio. I trained for a long time with that team on the Akala Outskirts, battling the wild Pokémon and trainers there. One of the trainers had a Hariyama.

"Hariyama, the Arm Thrust Pokémon, and the evolved form of Makuhita. Hariyama love to compare their freakish strength, which is enough to send a truck flying with a single slap. They are known for their fantastic strength, but as they grow older, they focus more on training Makuhita."

I also found another Zygarde Cell in the Akala Outskirts (16%). Then I ran into a familiar face.

"So you're the one Gladion was talking about," said a female voice. I recognized her from when I first arrived in the Alola region. Her name is Plumeria, and she's one of Team Skull's Admins.

"What do you want, Plumeria?" I asked, irritated. "Your goons keep popping up and getting in people's way. Not that they're too much trouble to defeat."

"But don't you think some dummies are cute in their dumbness?" she responded. "You know what I mean, right? You picking on my cute, dumb brothers and sisters is really annoying me!"

She battled me with a Golbat and a Salandit. The first round was a close battle of Air Cutter attacks between my Oricorio and her Golbat. The Salandit was an easier opponent, as Chinchou washed it away with a Hydro Vortex Z-Move.

"Hmmph! You're pretty strong. I'll give you that," Plumeria commented. "But mess with anyone in Team Skull again, and I'll show you how serious I can get."

With Plumeria defeated, I can now proceed to the entrance to the Ruins of Life, where I'll have my grand trial. But first, I need to think about which Pokémon I will battle Olivia with, so I returned to the Pokémon Center in Konikoni City.

July 13, 2017

Since Olivia uses rock-type Pokémon, I need to think about which Pokémon would have an advantage. I want to use Pokémon that are new to me in Alola, specifically ones I caught here on Akala Island. The list would be:

Wishiwashi: This wouldn't be a bad choice. Its School Forme is pretty powerful.
Mareanie: It is part water-type, so also not a bad choice.
Mudbray: Ground-types are also super effective, plus its Stamina ability makes it a good tank.
Dewpider: This is probably my favorite Alola Pokémon so far! But it's part bug-type, so probably not the best choice.
Formantis: A grass-type would work, but it would be better if it was evolved.
Morelull: Another grass-type, and one that's good at inflicting status conditions.
Salandit: As cool as this Pokémon is, it would also be at a type disadvantage.
Bounsweet: Although it's a grass-type, it needs a little more training before it can handle a tough battle.
Comfey: Not a grass-type, but knows a grass-type move. Possibly.
Oranguru: This big guy might do well, despite not having any specific advantages. But better yet…
Passimian: A pure fighting-type. It just hatched, but with a little training, it might be pretty strong against Olivia's Pokémon.
Wimpod: It's right in its name. Too weak, plus a bug-type.
Pyukumuku: This one's gimmicky. It's water-type but doesn't know any water-type moves. Maybe I could surprise her with Counter?

That's actually a much longer list to choose from than I thought. Well, I know I want Passimian on the team. I think Mudbray makes a good second choice. As for my third Pokémon… hm. Wishiwashi did already get a turn in an island trial, so I think I'll go with… either Formantis or Morelull. Tough choice. Formantis has low defense, and rock-types are usually high on attack, so I'm going to go with Morelull.

July 15, 2017

So after a few days of training my trio of Pokémon, it's finally time to take on my Akala Grand Trial! As the first rays of sun were appearing on the Alolan horizon, I did some last minute training near Konikoni City. While fishing up wild Pokémon to battle, my Morelull evolved into Shiinotic!

113. Shiinotic
756.png

Passimian and Mudbray became much stronger too, and Mudbray even learned a cool new move I never heard of before that I can't wait to try out!

I approached the Ruins of Life, when I heard a familiar voice call out to me. It was Professor Burnet, and Lillie was with her. It looks like Lillie got lost on her way back to the Tide Song Hotel, so Burnet brought her here to watch my battle against the kahuna.

"Now I've gotta go," the professor said. "The Masked Royal has a match, and there's no way that I'm missing it!"

Of course you wouldn't, he's your husband, I thought to myself…

"That Masked Royal," Burnet muttered as she walked away. "What do you think he looks like under that mask, anyway?"

… Really?

As Professor Burnet took her leave, Lillie walked over to me, with Nebby floating along at her feet. Wait, shouldn't it be in her bag?

"I came here for Nebby," Lillie explained. "Though, as you saw, I didn't come here myself so much as I was brought here with the professor's help."

We walked forward a bit, and Lillie gestured ahead. "Within these ruins waits the guardian deity of Akala Island. This is Tapu Lele's ruin."

"Pew!" Nebby added.

Lillie turned to Nebby. "You! I know you tried to drag me along to the Ruins of Conflict on Melemele Island, too! Why are these ruins important to you? What do the guardians mean to you?"

Nebby didn't answer, it simply stared back at her.

"Just think what would have happened to you if Steve hadn't been there back then!" Lillie continued.

"Pew!!!" That one got a response from Nebby.

We all turned as Olivia walked out of the entrance to the Ruins of Life. She looked at Lillie. "Oh, haven't I seen you with Kukui?"

Lillie introduced herself to Olivia. Olivia explained that she was cleaning up the ruins for Tapu Lele. And then turned to address me.

"Steve, thanks for getting to know the people and Pokémon of Alola," she said to me. "All right, then! You've completed the trials of all three captains here on Akala Island. Now you face the grand trial of the kahuna – me! Get ready for your hardest Pokémon battle yet on Akala!"

Lillie and Nebby moved off to the side to watch, while Olivia and I took our respective places on the battlefield.

"I've waited a long time for this!" I said as I got my first Poké Ball ready.

"Great!" replied the kahuna. "We're gonna give you guys everything we've got! And my partners are all adorable, rugged little rock-types!"

"Ok, Mudbray, you're up first, maximize!" Out came my donkey Pokémon.

"Your first challenge will be my Nosepass!" The kahuna's Pokémon appeared.

"Mudbray, let's show off your new move," I called out. "Use High Horsepower!"

My Pokémon charged at Nosepass, fiercely striking it with its entire body for a super-effective hit.

"Not bad, but you'll need more power to knock out Nosepass," Olivia stated. "Strike back with Rock Slide!"

The falling rocks hit Mudbray, but it wasn't very effective at all, however it did activate Mudbray's Stamina ability to increase its defense.

"Mudbray, finish it with Bulldoze!" My Pokémon stomped the ground, sending waves through the earth, knocking Nosepass off its feet!

"Well done, challenger," Olivia complimented. "Thank you, Nosepass. Now let's see how you do against my Boldore!"

"A Boldore, huh?" This was my first time seeing one in Alola. "Rotom, what's the Pokédex have to say about it?"

"Boldore, the Ore Pokémon, and the evolved form of Roggenrola. Boldore explore caves in search of underground water. They're not comfortable around water, so they take great care in lapping it up. Their orange crystal is a mass of energy. Just one crystal fragment would provide enough fuel for a hundred dump trucks."

"Another pure rock-type, so…" I switched out my Pokémon. "Mudbray, return, you did a great job out there. Now, Passimian, maximize!"

Passimian took the field. Both Pokémon looked ready to battle.

"Passimian, use Rock Smash!" My Pokémon struck first, but didn't seem to do much damage.

"Boldore, show them you're power with Headbutt!" And it was a powerful blow. But Passimian was still raring to go.

"Passimian, keep using Rock Smash!" Another hit, this time chipping off some rock and lowering Boldore's defense.

"Oh, you want this to be a test of endurance?" asked Olivia. "Fine then. Use Headbutt!"

Both Pokémon kept exchanging the same attacks. I thought my Pokémon might be the first to fall, but Passimian landed a lucky critical hit, knocking out Boldore!

"Great job, Passimian!" My Pokémon seemed happy, but was pretty exhausted from the battle. "Return, and take a good rest. I think we got this!"

"Oh, do you?" smirked the kahuna. "I wonder if you've seen this Pokémon before, then! Go, my Lycanroc!"

"Whoa, that's one tough looking wolf!" I'm guessing rock and… dark-type, maybe? "Rotom, definitely need your help here! Who's that Pokémon?"

"Lycanroc, the Wolf Pokémon, and the evolved form of Rockruff. Lycanroc goad their enemies into attacking, withstand the hits, and in return, deliver a headbutt, crushing their bones with their rocky mane. The more intimidating the opponent they face, the more their blood boils. They will attack with no regard for their own safety."

"That's… bad," I commented, getting my third Poké Ball ready. "I hope this works. Shiinotic, maximize!"
This should be an interesting final battle. And I have yet to see her Z-Move…

"Power up, Lycanroc!" Olivia charged up the Z-Crystal. "Use Continental Crush!"

Lycanroc leaped into the air, and a huge swarm of rocks started to coalesce around it, and then the huge boulder that formed smashed down on my Shiinotic!

"Shiinotic, no!" I yelled. I ran over to it. It definitely didn't seem like it was doing so well. I'll have to rush it to Nurse Joy after the battle. "I'm sorry, I didn't think that through. Return and take a good rest."

"Poor Shiinotic!" Gasped Lillie from the sidelines.

"Pew…" added Nebby.

"So what now, Steve?" Olivia stood there with arms and legs crossed. "Still think you can win?"

"No, but I'm not going down without a fight," I replied. "Passimian, you're up again! Give me whatever you got left!"

"Your Passimian is too worn out to fight," observed the kahuna. "Lycanroc, use Rock Throw!"

"Passimian, dodge and use Rock Smash!" My Pokémon still had some speed left, as it dodge the rocks and struck its opponent for a super-effective hit!

"Right where we want you," Olivia smiled. "Use Rock Throw!"

My Pokémon left itself open after the attack, and was knocked out by the strike.

"Return, Passimian, and thank you. Your efforts won't be in vain." One Pokémon left. "Mudbray, it's all up to you, let's go!"

"Lycanroc, finish this with Bite." The powerful attack did a lot of damage to Mudbray.

"This time you're where we want you!" I shouted. "High Horsepower, let's go!"

Mudbray put everything into one last attack, slamming Lycanroc into the side of the ruins!

"How lovely," Olivia said, as she recalled her fallen Pokémon. "Thank you, Lycanroc."

Kahuna Olivia walked over to me and crossed her arms and closed her eyes. "Diamonds only sparkle after coal is pushed to its absolute limit. You guys are the best! Here, the rock-type Z-Crystal is yours. It's Rockium Z!"

I've done it, barely! But… Grand Trial Complete!!

OffRoadSP

Years
I rushed back to the Pokémon Center to give my team of Pokémon some much needed treatment. Lillie stayed to talk to Olivia about Nebby and the Ruins of Life. I passed Hau on the way to Konikoni City, and he said he was also getting ready for his Grand Trial against Olivia.

At the Pokémon Center, I left my three Poké Balls with Nurse Joy, and continued my rotation of Akala Pokémon. Bounsweet, Butterfree, Umbreon, Staryu, and Kangaskhan was the group I had sent to me from Poké Pelago. Which, by the way, is now completely built, so there are a lot of islands for my Pokémon to play on.

I travelled back through Diglett's Tunnel to Heahea City. There was only one part of Akala Island I hadn't explored yet, so I followed the path east out of Heahea City and ended up at the Hano Grand Resort. I walked around Hano Beach for a while, and even got paid to chuck some Pyukumuku back into the ocean. Wild Pokémon lived on the beach too, because I saw things moving under the sand. I battled a bunch of wild Staryu that popped out of the sand, but in the corner of the beach, I saw something odd. It looked like a toy shovel was moving up and down in the sand all by itself. I went for a closer look, and a mound of sand rose under the shovel. Is there something in the sand? No wait, is… that a face in the sand? Is the sand itself a Pokémon? Rotom, what is this?

"Sandygast, the Sand Heap Pokémon. Sandygast are born from sand mounds that were playfully built by children, and they embody the grudges of the departed. They take control of anyone who puts a hand in their mouth, and so they add to the accumulation of their sand-mound body."

Glad I didn't reach for the shovel! But whatever, I have to catch this cool new Pokémon. I sent out Butterfree to use Sleep Powder to keep it asleep. It took a few tries, but I was able to catch Sandygast! I kept it as the sixth Pokémon on my current team.

114. Sandygast
769.png

It looks like it's a ghost and ground-type, sharing the dual typing with Golurk but having a different primary type. And its ability is new, Water Compaction, which increases its defense if it's hit by a water-type move. Makes sense for something made out of sand!

July 17, 2017

I rotated out my Pokémon for Stufful, Wimpod, Brionne, Pinsir, and Miltank. For the last member of that team, I bought an Armor Fossil from Olivia's shop, and took it to the Dream Park where it was restored into a Shieldon!

115. Shieldon
410.png

I then decided to check out the Hano Grand Resort. It seems it's the largest resort in the Alola region. I did find a few trainers inside who wanted to battle; a pair of Oricorio trainers who destroyed my team easily, and then another trainer who used a Trumbeak that despite a huge power difference, Shieldon defeated by itself!

July 18, 2017

I finished training the team I had, and then took Gumshoos, Fletchling, Herdier, Comfey, Charjabug, and Eevee #1 with me.

July 19, 2017

First thing's first, I used a Water Stone on my Eevee, and it evolved into Vaporeon!

"Vaporeon, the Bubble Jet Pokémon, and an evolved form of Eevee. Vaporeon live close to water and are often mistaken for mermaids. Their cells are composed of units much like water molecules. Blending in with the water and erasing all signs of their presence, they patiently wait for their prey, fish Pokémon."

116. Vaporeon
134.png

August 1, 2017

While training my Pokémon in Lush Jungle, my Fletchling evolved into Fletchinder!

"Fletchinder, the Ember Pokémon, and the evolved form of Fletchling. Fletchinder fire embers at their prey from their beak. Once they have caught them, they grill them at high heat before feasting upon them. They will not tolerate other Pokémon entering their territory, which has a radius of several miles."

117. Fletchinder
662.png

August 3, 2017

Before leaving Akala Island, I wanted to have an official battle with each of the island's captains, like I did with Ilima on Melemele Island. So I stopped by Lana's house first in Konikoni City. She wasn't there, but her twin younger sisters were, so I had a double battle against them. My Comfey and Charjabug had a good warm up match against their Luvdisc and Corsola.

August 4, 2017

Lana met me on the docks in Konikoni City for our battle.

"Go on!" yelled one of her sisters. "Beat him, Sissy!"

"Show him what you've got!" added the other sister.

"Shall we?" Lana asked as she pulled out a Net Ball. "I have a responsibility to set a good example for my younger sisters, of course. But even more importantly than that… I have my pride as a captain! I will show you what a serious Lana can do!"

Lana sent out Chinchou, and I led off with Gumshoos. "I look forward to enjoying a no-holds-barred battle against you, Steve!"

It was going to be a three-on-three Pokémon battle. This is almost like a gym battle!

Lana called the first move. "Chinchou, Electro Ball." Being the faster Pokémon, the attack hit, and did a lot of damage. Gumshoos can't take another hit like that.

"Gumshoos, use Mud-Slap!" My Pokémon kicked up the muddy ground from near the shore, hitting Chinchou in the eyes.

"Oh, no, Chinchou!" cried Lana. "Use Electro Ball again!"

"Not this time!" I said. "Dodge, and use Mud-Slap!"

My Pokémon easily dodged the poorly aimed ball of electricity, and slashed more dirt onto Chinchou.
"Chinchou, try your Bubblebeam!" But that attack missed as well, and Gumshoos landed another Mud-Slap!

"Now, Gumshoos, use Tackle!" I commanded.

"Quick, spray it while it's close!" Lana called for the defense. Chinchou did land a Bubblebeam, but Gumshoos connected as well.

"I'm taking a chance," I muttered, seeing my weakened Pokémon. "Gumshoos, one more Tackle, go!"

"Chinchou, to the left, use Bubblebeam!" Lana and her Pokémon were in perfect sync, and Chinchou landed the attack, knocking out Gumshoos!

"Gumshoos, return, you did a good job," I said as I recalled my Pokémon. "Comfey, maximize!"

My Posy Picker Pokémon took the field. Lana called for another Bubblebeam attack. Looks like it shook off the dirt from the Mud-Slap, because it hit no problem.

"Comfey, Magical Leaf, let's go!" The attack was super effective, and Chinchou was knocked out.

"Thank you, Chinchou," Lana said. "Next up is my Araquanid!"

"Your… what?" That's new. "Rotom, who's that cool-looking Pokémon?"

"Araquanid, the Water Bubble Pokémon, and the evolved form of Dewpider. Araquanid deliver headbutts with the water bubble on their head. Small Pokémon get sucked into the bubble, where they drown. Despite what their appearance suggests, they care for others. If they find vulnerable, weak Pokémon, they protectively bring them into their water bubble."

"Awesome, so that's what Dewpider evolves into!" I said, admiring the giant water spider. "Comfey, return, I'm changing strategies. This is a job for Charjabug… maximize!"

Unfortunately, Lana activated her Z-Crystal. "Araquanid, use Hydro Vortex!"

Obviously, my little electric bug-type was unable to withstand the barrage of water.

"Charjabug, return," I recalled my Pokémon. "Comfey, it's up to you!"

This time, I activated my Z-Ring. "Comfey, use Bloom Doom!"

Sadly, this was not very effective, and Araquanid shrugged of the blast like it was nothing.

"Looks like we won," said Lana softly. "Use Bubblebeam!"

The blast of bubbles struck Comfey, and things weren't looking good for me…

"Comfey, Magical Leaf!"

"Araquanid, Bubblebeam!"

Both attacks struck, and both landed critical hits! But, ultimately, it was Comfey who fell.

"Comfey, return," I said sadly. "Sorry, I'm too weak of a trainer to win this battle."

If I can't defeat Lana, I assume I shouldn't even attempt to challenge Kiawe or Mallow. Looks like it will be back to basic training and grinding. Maybe once I become more serious as a trainer, I can stand a better chance against the Akala Captains.

OffRoadSP

Years
After letting my Pokémon rest at the Pokémon Center, I rotated my Pokémon for Mudbray, Dartrix, Passimian, Jigglypuff, and Wishiwashi. For the last spot, I had a Skull Fossil from Konikoni City revived at the Dream Park, which became a Cranidos!

"Cranidos, the Head Butt Pokémon. Cranidos lived in jungles around a hundred million years ago. They used their skillful headbutts to combat Aerodactyl. In rock layers where their fossils are found, the fossilized trunks of trees snapped in two are also found."

118. Cranidos
408.png

August 5, 2017

I got to try out my Rockium Z on Cranidos, and it used the powerful Z-Move, Continental Crush. I'm looking forward to discovering other Z-Moves!

August 6, 2017

I took the next group out for training: Eevee #7, Sudowoodo, Tentacool, Psyduck, Mareanie, and Formantis. Mareanie got the most time out to battle, since this was the first time I got to use it!

August 7, 2017

Next group: Crabrawler, Masquerain, Oranguru, Poliwag #2, Eevee #5, and Sylveon. One of the first things I did was give my Eevee a Fire Stone, and it evolved into Flareon!

"Flareon, the Flame Pokémon, and an evolved form of Eevee. Flareon have an average body temperature between 1,300 and 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit. In their internal flame sac, temperatures reach 3,000 degrees. When they catch prey of find berries, they breathe fire on them until they're well done, and then they gobble them up."

119. Flareon
136.png

After finishing with that group, the next group was Salandit, Pyukumuku, Trumbeak, Gyarados, Raticate, and Morelull.

August 8, 2017

And finally, I've reached the final group for my Akala rotation: Poliwag #1, Paras, Feebas, Espeon, Gastly, and Phantump. And while training that group, my Paras evolved into Parasect!

"Parasect, the Mushroom Pokémon, and the evolved form of Paras. Parasect scatter toxic spores from their mushroom cap. Once harvested, these spores can be steeped and boiled down to prepare herbal medicines. The large mushroom on their back controls them. They often fight over territory with Shiinotic."

120. Parasect
047.png

And that does it! I've finally completed training every Akala Pokémon. Before moving on to a new island, I decided I would stop back on Melemele Island and revisit some old places, as well as stop in and see Professor Kukui.

OffRoadSP

Years
August 9, 2017

After visiting a while with Professor Kukui, I decided to do a thorough sweep exploring Melemele Island. I found a bunch of Zygarde Cells, including two more Zygarde Cores, bringing the Zygarde Cube to 33%! I also checked out the Melemele Sea now that I was able to call Lapras as a Ride Pok?mon. I also got to explore more of Kala?e Bay with Lapras, which allowed me to catch a Shellder!

121. Shellder
090.png

There were also plenty of water-type Pok?mon trainers who wanted to battle, so Dartrix got a lot of experience battling them. I also used the Ride Pok?mon Stoutland to search out any hidden treasure that may have been scattered around the island. Once I was satisfied I had thoroughly explored everything, I called on a Charizard to fly back to Akala Island.

August 13, 2017

I?m going to do one final, grand rotation of all the Pok?mon I?ve caught in the Alola region so far. To keep it easy, I?m going to go in Alola Pok?dex order. So I previously trained Dartrix and Torracat, and today I got through Brionne, Trumbeak, Gumshoos, and Raticate.

August 14, 2017

After training Butterfree, my Ledyba evolved into Ledian, and my Spinarak evolved into Ariados!

122. Ledian
166.png

123. Ariados

168.png

August 15, 2017

I finally got to test out my Pikanium Z that I received in Konikoni City. My Pikachu learned Volt Tackle and thus was able to use the exclusive Z-Move called Catastropika, where it I toss it into the air, then it rolls into a ball to generate electricity, and then fires itself at its opponent. It made battling the trainers outside the Hano Grand Resort quite easy!

August 21, 2017

I?ve been continuing to train all my Pok?mon, getting through Charjabug, Sudowoodo, Chansey, Munchlax, and both Slowpoke. My Wingull evolved into Pelipper, and Abra evolved into Kadabra!

124. Pelipper
279.png

125. Kadabra

064.png

August 23, 2017

I continued training my Pok?mon, working with Meowth, Magnemite, Grimer, and Growlithe. Then, while I was training Drowzee?

8:35pm (8:35am Alola time)

I was battling against wild Pok?mon in the Lush Jungle, honestly not paying too close attention, when suddenly, a Fomantis caught my eye. It was a little greener than usual? it was a shiny Fomantis! I immediately had Drowzee try Hypnosis, but it dodged and used Ingrain. That?s fine, I don?t want it to go anywhere anyway! Drowzee used Hypnosis again, and put it to sleep. I tossed a Pok? Ball, and? Success! I finally have my partner Pok?mon for the Alola region, Fomantis!

753.png

I stopped by the Pok?mon Center to check out my new Fomantis. She?s modest and strong-willed, which means its special attack and special defense are its best stats. As far as overall potential, Nurse Joy said she was relatively superior for a Fomantis. (Its lowest IV is 20!!) Unfortunately, Fomantis can?t learn a wide variety of moves, but it will still be fun to train. Plus I know who I?ll be using when I eventually have a rematch against Lana! I had Fomantis sent to Pok? Pelago for the time being, until I?m done training all my Pok?mon.

Speaking of which, my Drowzee evolved into Hypno, and Makuhita evolved into Hariyama!

?Hypno, the Hypnosis Pok?mon, and the evolved form of Drowzee. A psychic-type. Hypno make anyone they meet fall asleep and have a taste of their dreams. Anyone having a good dream, they carry off. While they are extremely dangerous, people who are in need of a good, sound sleep call them their saviors.?

126. Hypno
097.png

127. Hariyama

297.png

Back