• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Main Characters names

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Honestly I'm expecting the main names for the to be X for the female and Y for the male, but they'll probably have some other random names to pick from (I'm expecting things of French/European descent since that's where the games seem to be based around).

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Fred for the guy; Claire for the girl.

They just "feel" that way to me, plus Frédéric is a popular enough French name (think Chopin: Polish French citizen and was (and is) famous in France).

Claire is a French name that I find to be "powerful"-sounding when spoken. Feels independent and proud.

Oh, and for the Giggles, Fred is #1056 in popularity while Claire is #40. Yasmine is nice, too, but it comes from Jasmine which is an arabic name, so if we're going on the vibe that the name'll be French (or related to France), then I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I would want Yvette or Yvonne for the female, theres not a lot of french name that start with X for female, they are mostly variant of Xavier like Xaviere, Xavierra and Xavierre, but even those names are origin from Spain or Arabic.

But Yvonne and Yvette are both 100% French, Yvette mean young archer while Yvonne is archer. The only french name for girl I found that is french is Xela(Variants: Xelah, Xella, Xellah, Zela, Zelah, Zella, Zellah) that mean from the mountain home.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Oh, forgot. I also wouldn't mind Sophie (#21), Alice (#61), Zoe (#22), Astrid (#1135) or Colette (#554).

Also wouldn't mind Jean and Cosette :]

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
Years
Names starting with X and Y would make loads of sense! I just don't know if the names will be likeable that way! I do agree on their French look so at least their names should be French or sound/look like it

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Although the names don't have to start with X and Y, given the genetics theme and all that, it would seem pretty fitting if they did. I love Xavier for the male, and Yvonne for the girl seems perfect! although i wouldn't mind Yasmin either.

blue

gucci
Years
Well it's not usually the case, Hilbert and Hilda don't begin with B and W, Lucas and Dawn don't start with D and P, well not Lucas at least. I don't know what determines the protagonists names tbh, however they usually are uncommon names which I like.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Hilbert and Hilda, Lucas and Dawn was going with the games theme. Hilbert and hilda was about battle I guess while Lucas and Dawn about light.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Although the names don't have to start with X and Y, given the genetics theme and all that, it would seem pretty fitting if they did. I love Xavier for the male, and Yvonne for the girl seems perfect! although i wouldn't mind Yasmin either.

Those seem to work if they are going to start with X and Y. They both seem to have European descent (at least Yvonne does, I have no idea about Xavier) so they are fitting at least. I like the sound of them too.

Years
I hadn't really thought of the protagonist names beginning with X and Y. I don't think it'll be the case, but some of the speculations sure are cool!

I'm just glad B2W2's names were nicer than Hilbert and Hilda, and hope that we can expect similarly nice names (as Nate and Rosa) for X and Y. I still miss the days, however, where the protagonists were named after the games, such as Red, Blue, Gold, Silver and Crystal. I know that the series has evolved by the hundredfold since then and that strictly speaking, this now only applies to Red and Blue. However I think it would be nice to be able to refer to them all by their version names, as done in the Pokémon Special manga (not canon, I'm aware, and I digress).

I'd happily see these characters named X and Y, but otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing any of the aforementioned suggestions :)

Guy

just a guy
Years
From the official site it seems like Serena and Calem are going to be the canon names for the protagonists, both in the Japanese and English copies.

So glad it's not going to be Xavier/Xander or Yvonne/Yolanda. Sorry guys, but that's just not very creative!

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Serena or Calem will be the name of your main rival, depending on your gender.
The male protagonist will be named Xavier:
june_p5_01.jpg

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Just so ya know, the names Serena and Calem are most likely supposed to sound like Serene and Calm, I knew they'd have a theme, and in this case, the theme is tranquility.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Just so ya know, the names Serena and Calem are most likely supposed to sound like Serene and Calm, I knew they'd have a theme, and in this case, the theme is tranquility.

Or peace as Callum means Dove, and Serene means calm, and peace. So yeah peace and tranquility seems to be our theme this time.

Back